  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
July 21, 2005 3:23:39 PM

Hi,

I want to become a member at Napster and download music tracks, but I
don't have Windows XP or 2000. I can't download their software unless I'm
using XP, but I can get a friend of mine to download the software. Tech
support at Napster told me that Media Player V9.x is required and that is the
reason you have to have Win XP/2000.

I don't want to buy a new computer or buy the XP os. Note: Unlike Win 98,
XP is limited to only one PC. You can't install XP on one computer,
"activate" it (embedded digital PID is logged into MS's database), then
install it on a second computer. You will not be able to "activate" it on the
second computer. My fried tried to do that ("Invalid ....." message at MS).

I know a technique to "install" Media Player V9.x on a Win98 machine, and
then install the software from Napster, which my friend will download for me.
Am I wasting my time?

Thanks in advance, Brad

be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.

More about : napster windows

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:23:40 PM

"Brad" <bpetria@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Note: Unlike Win 98,
> XP is limited to only one PC.

Per the EULA, Win98 can only be installed legally on one machine if the user
has not purchased a volume license. As well, some computer manufacturers state
in their EULA that it can only be installed on the machine it was purchased
with.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

Tell you what, you go ahead and install WMP9 on that 98 system, and then
you go ahead and install the Napster software, and then tell us if it
worked. That way it can't possibly be a waste of time, since even if the
scheme doesn't work, you can then tell us all about it and advance our
knowledge on this issue, <smile>.

Seriously, I haven't seen this particular issue discussed before in this
forum.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Brad" <bpetria@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I want to become a member at Napster and download music tracks, but
> don't have Windows XP or 2000. I can't download their software unless
> I'm
> using XP, but I can get a friend of mine to download the software.
> Tech
> support at Napster told me that Media Player V9.x is required and that
> is the
> reason you have to have Win XP/2000.
>
> I don't want to buy a new computer or buy the XP os. Note: Unlike
> Win 98,
> XP is limited to only one PC. You can't install XP on one computer,
> "activate" it (embedded digital PID is logged into MS's database),
> then
> install it on a second computer. You will not be able to "activate"
> it on the
> second computer. My fried tried to do that ("Invalid ....." message
> at MS).
>
> I know a technique to "install" Media Player V9.x on a Win98
> machine, and
> then install the software from Napster, which my friend will download
> for me.
> Am I wasting my time?
>
> Thanks in advance, Brad
>
> Before you type your password, credit card number, etc.,
> be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 4:31:45 PM

Brad wrote:
> Hi,

[snip]

> Am I wasting my time?
>
> Thanks in advance, Brad

Yes, install Linux and enjoy virus-free, napster-musical enviroment.

HTH

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla
!