Min 28A for High-End Setup?

3D

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
I ordered a Thermaltake W0089 http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Power/TR2power/w008990/w008990.asp and a friend told me for a medium to high-end system I would need at least 28A on a single +12v rail.

A nice 450W or more (or maybe less if 12v+ rail amps are high, i.e. 20Amps+ Like the Enermax 380W for example), with a minimum of 20Amps on the 12V+ rail, though I see that 20amps+ is becoming the recommended minimum with these new high powered systems.
Your PSU needs to have GOOD output voltages/amperes, with a minimum of, say 240W combined on the 3.3v & 5v rails,... and a MINIMUM of 22 Amperes on the 12V rail for a high-end rig with lots of components/peripherals. These values should be the minimum rated values and NOT the MAX PEAK output values.
It ain't the WATTAGE that counts, it's the AMPS that it puts out.
If it's a 64bit system, then look more towards a 25a+ unit, especially if the VGA card needs its own power.

My friend told me if im planning on a 64 bit AMD setup with a X850XT card I should get a 28A + power supply 450W at least. And he said the power supply on the link I gave wont do it cuz its 15A on a single +12v rail.
Is the Amper determained by both the +12v rails or just per each? (+12v 1st rail is 14A and 2nd is 15A = meaning its 29A +12v rail or still just 14/15A?)

I'm pretty confused about that, if anyone could clarify this for me, I would appriciate it. And please tell me if the power supply would be ok for the above system:
AMD 3800+ dual core
2x512 mb ram PC3200 Corsair XMS
ATI Radeon X850XT
A8NE Asus Mobo
2 HDDs
and all kind of fans and stuff (but that wouldnt make that much of a diff they are only 2/3v each)
A LCD bay infront with a fan controller.

Thats what I plan to upgrade to, the PSU in the link I already ordered, just worried from the hearsay now that It wont work with it effieicenly :( and Do I really have to get a new PSU after I just got this today?

Thanks in advance.

WolfDragon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
That is a perfectly acceptable PSU

That being said there is one caveat, balance the load between the rails

Your mobo documentation should have power consumption listed on it, and the docs for that PSU should tell you which rail the mobo is on

With that info in hand, connect your power cables accordingly

Now, if you do have an issue with the system going a bit wonky when you start pushing it, try moving the power connectors around

My rule of thumb is to connect my vid cards and "non essential" devices to the same power line and have my "essential" devices on another

This separates my video cards from my RAID array, which aside from the mobo these are the two biggest hogs in the box. My dvd burner and sata drives are connected to the video card line as i use the RAID array for data on the games

Now as for the 28 Amps on a single rail..... thats a dedicated power supply, its also what you are supposed to have when running a TEC on your CPU (I dont know of any rig that has sucessfully run a CPU TEC module off a PSU with the comp feeding off of it as well)

Perhaps he thoughtyou were trying to run a TEC?