transfering programs-disc to disc

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

I have two hard drives. Drive D is a 10 gig drive that is
my boot drive on which I do most of my work, Photoshop,
Wordperfect, Roxio, etc. I am now getting messages saying
that the disc is full and in the instance of PhotoShop
that the scratch discs are full. I have cleaned up the
disc by removing all cookies and temp files but almost no
extra space is created. I use my disc C, a 60 gig drive
to store images and things and there is a great deal of
space left on it. I used the MS utility to move larger
programs from D to C in order to clear space on the
smaller drive and the moves seemed to work as their names
are now listed under C in Windows Explorer, but now I
find that the original programs are also still on D. I
tried to delete some of them but in almost every instance
the deletion process would begin and then halt with a
message telling me that access was denied and the program
could not be removed, sometimes with the admonition that
someone or some other program is using the program to be
deleted and so it can't be accomplished. The machine is
not on a lan, except for a cable modem, and when trying
all of this I have no other programs open or in use. I
tried unchecking the "read only" attributes but with no
luck. My system is running under XP with SP2 and is set
up to offer access to either myself or my wife at boot
with the proper password. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

You can't drag & drop program folders. What you did (or at least it sounds
like you did) is copy them to the other drive. What you actually need to do
is uninstall them, then reinstall to the new location. This is the only way
to get all the registry pointers correct.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone