Low Conventional memory

Ed

I am using Win98SE. For years, I was able to run Win98 setup from Windows and
recover any useful lost file. Recently, I replaced the hard drive and I have
to use an ATA card between the hard drive and the mother board. Now, when I
try to run Win98 setup from Windows, it won't pass more than 10 seconds
during the scandisk process before I get the low conventional memory error
message. I have a 160 GB hard drive. I did a clean install of Win98SE and I
still get the same message. Please help.

"Your Computer Does Not Have Enough Free Memory to Defrag the Drive" Error Message:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=229154

See MVP Gary Terhune's workaround to avoid losing all your data, by fixing this
using BootIt NG (BING) to restructure you drive partitioning:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion/browse_frm/thread/d7c4a0f1619c43ee/3e89e50827050769?q=low+memory+error+scandisk&rnum=1&hl=en#3e89e50827050769
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am using Win98SE. For years, I was able to run Win98 setup from Windows and
> recover any useful lost file. Recently, I replaced the hard drive and I have
> to use an ATA card between the hard drive and the mother board. Now, when I
> try to run Win98 setup from Windows, it won't pass more than 10 seconds
> during the scandisk process before I get the low conventional memory error
> message. I have a 160 GB hard drive. I did a clean install of Win98SE and I
> still get the same message. Please help.

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 06:01:03 -0700, "Ed"
<Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am using Win98SE. For years, I was able to run Win98 setup from Windows and
>recover any useful lost file. Recently, I replaced the hard drive and I have
>to use an ATA card between the hard drive and the mother board. Now, when I
>try to run Win98 setup from Windows, it won't pass more than 10 seconds
>during the scandisk process before I get the low conventional memory error
>message. I have a 160 GB hard drive. I did a clean install of Win98SE and I
>still get the same message. Please help.

Ed,

Maybe you can't do this the way you are setup but it might be worth
a try:
Try booting with a Win98 Startup diskette with CDrom support then
running Setup from Dos? The diskette provides enough conventional
memory for the install.

If Setup tries to install into a Windows.000 or similar folder
change it to C:\Windows if that's where Windows is. The CDrom drive
letter will temporarily be one letter higher than normal.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

Ed

Glee & Bill,

Thank you so much for your valuable information. Using Partition Magic
changed the cluster size from 8KB TO 32KB. Now I can re-install the operating
system from Windows.

Thanks!

"Bill Watt" wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 06:01:03 -0700, "Ed"
> <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I am using Win98SE. For years, I was able to run Win98 setup from Windows and
> >recover any useful lost file. Recently, I replaced the hard drive and I have
> >to use an ATA card between the hard drive and the mother board. Now, when I
> >try to run Win98 setup from Windows, it won't pass more than 10 seconds
> >during the scandisk process before I get the low conventional memory error
> >message. I have a 160 GB hard drive. I did a clean install of Win98SE and I
> >still get the same message. Please help.
>
> Ed,
>
> Maybe you can't do this the way you are setup but it might be worth
> a try:
> Try booting with a Win98 Startup diskette with CDrom support then
> running Setup from Dos? The diskette provides enough conventional
> memory for the install.
>
> If Setup tries to install into a Windows.000 or similar folder
> change it to C:\Windows if that's where Windows is. The CDrom drive
> letter will temporarily be one letter higher than normal.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill Watt
> Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

Alright! Thanks for the feedback!