windows 98 is slow and seizes

My hard drive crashed. I installed a new hard disk and managed to copy most
of my files across to the new disk. I had W98 reinstalled from the original
CD. The computer now freezes regularly. When I activate Word I get an
"installing..." dialog box which wasn't there before. I also noticed that
the version conflict manager in Word had a longish list of files.

I am thinking I need to do a new clean install of Windows but haven't
succeeded doing that. It seems to leave old files in place rather than
overwriting them. How do I install a clean copy of Windows from the CD
without losing my data files (including some wallpaper that I'd like to keep)?

"overwriting them. How do I install a clean copy of Windows from the
CD without losing my data files (including some wallpaper that I'd
like to keep)?"

When you install Windows into a new empty folder, you get rid of that
carried-over garbage. The following articles explain how to install
Windows into a new folder:

How to Reinstall Windows 95 to a New Folder [142096]
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/142/0/96.asp

How to Install Windows 98 to a New Folder [193902]
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/193/9/02.asp

However, before reinstalling Windows 98, you should first try running
the System File Checker. Go to Start/Run and enter “sfc”.

Information about reinstalling is also on www.windowsreinstall.com.

Bill Starbuck (MVP)

Thanks Bill

I will try this in a day or two. Right now I, the computer is limping enough
for me to meet a deadline. I tried the link from the page you gave me
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=http%3a%2f%2fsupport.microsoft.com%2fsupport%2fwindows%2freadme%2f98%2fwindows_98.asp
and it came back with a "not found" error message about using Fat32ebd.exe
to make a Windows 98 Startup disk.

I already have a startup disk from the original installation. The new
installation was made into FAT32 whereas the original installation wasn't.
Will this original startup disk work, or does it specifically need to be in
FAT32?

With thanks,
"enquirer"

"Bill Starbuck" wrote:

> "overwriting them. How do I install a clean copy of Windows from the
> CD without losing my data files (including some wallpaper that I'd
> like to keep)?"
>
> When you install Windows into a new empty folder, you get rid of that
> carried-over garbage. The following articles explain how to install
> Windows into a new folder:
>
> How to Reinstall Windows 95 to a New Folder [142096]
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/142/0/96.asp
>
> How to Install Windows 98 to a New Folder [193902]
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/193/9/02.asp
>
> However, before reinstalling Windows 98, you should first try running
> the System File Checker. Go to Start/Run and enter “sfc�.
>
> Information about reinstalling is also on www.windowsreinstall.com.
>

> Bill Starbuck (MVP)

As long as the boot disk works OK, you don't need to make a new one. If you
want to make a new floppy disk, you can do it with the Fat32ebd.exe file
located on the W98 CD: tools/mtsutil/fat32ebd

Choosing between Fat or fat 32 is done when (or if) you run fdisk. A
question will be asked about large disk support and choosing yes gives you
fat 32.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"enquirer" <enquirer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Bill
>
> I will try this in a day or two. Right now I, the computer is limping
> enough
> for me to meet a deadline. I tried the link from the page you gave me
> http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=http%3a%2f%2fsupport.microsoft.com%2fsupport%2fwindows%2freadme%2f98%2fwindows_98.asp
> and it came back with a "not found" error message about using Fat32ebd.exe
> to make a Windows 98 Startup disk.
>
> I already have a startup disk from the original installation. The new
> installation was made into FAT32 whereas the original installation wasn't.
> Will this original startup disk work, or does it specifically need to be
> in
> FAT32?
>
> With thanks,
> "enquirer"
>
> "Bill Starbuck" wrote:
>
>> "overwriting them. How do I install a clean copy of Windows from the
>> CD without losing my data files (including some wallpaper that I'd
>> like to keep)?"
>>
>> When you install Windows into a new empty folder, you get rid of that
>> carried-over garbage. The following articles explain how to install
>> Windows into a new folder:
>>
>> How to Reinstall Windows 95 to a New Folder [142096]
>> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/142/0/96.asp
>>
>> How to Install Windows 98 to a New Folder [193902]
>> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/193/9/02.asp
>>
>> However, before reinstalling Windows 98, you should first try running
>> the System File Checker. Go to Start/Run and enter "sfc".
>>
>> Information about reinstalling is also on www.windowsreinstall.com.
>>

>> Bill Starbuck (MVP)

Many thanks Ron and Bill,

I used my existing startup disk and followed the directions on the KB
articles (except for being a bit rusty on a minor aspect of MSDOS.

I now have a perfectly stable computer that boots up, operates and shuts
down without a hiccup!

Of course I had to re-install every other piece of proprietary software such
as the printer etc., which was a little tedious but necessary.

Your replies have been the exact solution to my problem, and if I new how to
operate this website I would label your posts as helpful :)

Thanks again.

"Ron Badour" wrote:

> As long as the boot disk works OK, you don't need to make a new one. If you
> want to make a new floppy disk, you can do it with the Fat32ebd.exe file
> located on the W98 CD: tools/mtsutil/fat32ebd
>
> Choosing between Fat or fat 32 is done when (or if) you run fdisk. A
> question will be asked about large disk support and choosing yes gives you
> fat 32.
>

> --
> Regards
>

> Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> Knowledge Base Info:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>

> "enquirer" <enquirer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Bill
> >
> > I will try this in a day or two. Right now I, the computer is limping
> > enough
> > for me to meet a deadline. I tried the link from the page you gave me
> > http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=http%3a%2f%2fsupport.microsoft.com%2fsupport%2fwindows%2freadme%2f98%2fwindows_98.asp
> > and it came back with a "not found" error message about using Fat32ebd.exe
> > to make a Windows 98 Startup disk.
> >
> > I already have a startup disk from the original installation. The new
> > installation was made into FAT32 whereas the original installation wasn't.
> > Will this original startup disk work, or does it specifically need to be
> > in
> > FAT32?
> >
> > With thanks,
> > "enquirer"
> >
> > "Bill Starbuck" wrote:
> >
> >> "overwriting them. How do I install a clean copy of Windows from the
> >> CD without losing my data files (including some wallpaper that I'd
> >> like to keep)?"
> >>
> >> When you install Windows into a new empty folder, you get rid of that
> >> carried-over garbage. The following articles explain how to install
> >> Windows into a new folder:
> >>
> >> How to Reinstall Windows 95 to a New Folder [142096]
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/142/0/96.asp
> >>
> >> How to Install Windows 98 to a New Folder [193902]
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/193/9/02.asp
> >>
> >> However, before reinstalling Windows 98, you should first try running
> >> the System File Checker. Go to Start/Run and enter "sfc".
> >>
> >> Information about reinstalling is also on www.windowsreinstall.com.
> >>

> >> Bill Starbuck (MVP)

click this link
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion will open
this newsgroup in your default newsreader, outlook express usually, and you
can subscribe to this or any of the other MS newsgroups

--

Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de