Temp Freeze

My computer(98SE) likes to freeze for about 30 seconds about once or twice
each evening then carries on as if nothing has happened. I don't seem to
have a spyware or viruses. I have tried a different processor also removed
most of my temp files and folders. I would like to find the reason for this
freeze. Any suggestions. bob
16 answers Last reply
More about temp freeze

    What is going on just before the freeze? I seem to get a couple of dead
    freezes while NetZero is connecting to the NET these days. After that,
    all is well. I'm thinking it happens at the point it sets up it's hooks.
    Could be McAfee does it too. (I keep meaning to disable KB891711 just
    once, just to see whether that is involved.)

    "START button, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, System Hooks"
    shows...

    Keyboard Wbhook32.dll WEBSCANX.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE
    VIRUSSCAN\Wbhook32.dll C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE
    VIRUSSCAN\WEBSCANX.EXE

    GetMessage Hook.dll EXEC.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\Hook.dll
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\EXEC.EXE

    Window Procedure Hook.dll EXEC.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\Hook.dll
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\EXEC.EXE

    Mouse Wbhook32.dll WEBSCANX.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE
    VIRUSSCAN\Wbhook32.dll C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE
    VIRUSSCAN\WEBSCANX.EXE

    Mouse Lgmoushk.dll EM_EXEC.EXE C:\MOUSE\SYSTEM\Lgmoushk.dll
    C:\MOUSE\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | My computer(98SE) likes to freeze for about 30 seconds about once or
    twice
    | each evening then carries on as if nothing has happened. I don't seem
    | have a spyware or viruses. I have tried a different processor also
    removed
    | most of my temp files and folders. I would like to find the reason for
    this
    | freeze. Any suggestions. bob

    Is it a real "freeze," or is there hard disk activity ?
    Is Word installed - is its' indexer chundering away ? if so go to control
    panel and "Close and Stop" it ?
    ....just a thought.

    regards, Richard

    "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My computer(98SE) likes to freeze for about 30 seconds about once or twice
    > each evening then carries on as if nothing has happened. I don't seem to
    > have a spyware or viruses. I have tried a different processor also removed
    > most of my temp files and folders. I would like to find the reason for
    > this
    > freeze. Any suggestions. bob

    The only hook I get is 'get message' msh_zwf.dll POINTS 32 EXE which I think
    is the mouse pointer.

    I will also disable KB 891711 in msconfig and report back Bob.

    > What is going on just before the freeze? I seem to get a couple of dead
    > freezes while NetZero is connecting to the NET these days. After that,
    > all is well. I'm thinking it happens at the point it sets up it's hooks.
    > Could be McAfee does it too. (I keep meaning to disable KB891711 just
    > once, just to see whether that is involved.)
    >
    > "START button, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, System Hooks"
    > shows...
    >
    > Keyboard Wbhook32.dll WEBSCANX.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE
    > VIRUSSCAN\Wbhook32.dll C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE
    > VIRUSSCAN\WEBSCANX.EXE
    >
    > GetMessage Hook.dll EXEC.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\Hook.dll
    > C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\EXEC.EXE
    >
    > Window Procedure Hook.dll EXEC.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\Hook.dll
    > C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\EXEC.EXE
    >
    > Mouse Wbhook32.dll WEBSCANX.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE
    > VIRUSSCAN\Wbhook32.dll C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE
    > VIRUSSCAN\WEBSCANX.EXE
    >
    > Mouse Lgmoushk.dll EM_EXEC.EXE C:\MOUSE\SYSTEM\Lgmoushk.dll
    > C:\MOUSE\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > | My computer(98SE) likes to freeze for about 30 seconds about once or
    > twice
    > | each evening then carries on as if nothing has happened. I don't seem
    > | have a spyware or viruses. I have tried a different processor also
    > removed
    > | most of my temp files and folders. I would like to find the reason for
    > this
    > | freeze. Any suggestions. bob

    > all is well. I'm thinking it happens at the point it sets up it's hooks.

    hey there friend...
    I have been to 3 different computer dictionaries and found squat
    on 'system hooks'.
    Give me some info or links plz, I want to know more

    In mine, it shows 3 and each has something to do with my AntiV. Is
    system-hooks dedicated to picking up stuff re: anti virus?

    ...Rex..

    tap "windows hook" into your browser or try this
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;318804

    "Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > all is well. I'm thinking it happens at the point it sets up it's hooks.
    >
    > hey there friend...
    > I have been to 3 different computer dictionaries and found squat
    > on 'system hooks'.
    > Give me some info or links plz, I want to know more
    >
    > In mine, it shows 3 and each has something to do with my AntiV. Is
    > system-hooks dedicated to picking up stuff re: anti virus?
    >
    > ..Rex..

    I haven't researched it thoroughly. My understanding is that a hook will
    allow an app such as McAfee to be informed/grab control, when a certain
    event occurs, such as possibly a mouse movement.

    Seems Bob B. found a starting point. Unfortunately, the MDSN article...
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/hooks_9rg3.asp
    ....inside the MSKB article he posted doesn't appear to exist. Typing
    "system hook" inside it's search engine also is disappointing. Just
    "hook" might do it, but there is a lot of flack to ignore.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | > all is well. I'm thinking it happens at the point it sets up it's
    hooks.

    | hey there friend...
    | I have been to 3 different computer dictionaries and found squat
    | on 'system hooks'.
    | Give me some info or links plz, I want to know more
    |
    | In mine, it shows 3 and each has something to do with my AntiV. Is
    | system-hooks dedicated to picking up stuff re: anti virus?
    |
    | ..Rex..

    I see. Yes, do that please with KB891711, as I forgot again! Do your
    freezes only happen at boot or only when you start a certain app? Did
    you throw Points32.exe into a search engine? I don't have that one
    precisely...

    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=Point32.exe
    GG has 1,580 hits for "Point.exe", if that's what you meant.

    It seems to deal with "Intellipoint and Intellitype" by one Jason
    Tsang - Microsoft MVP there, & indeed that may be a mouse item.

    Highlight that hook in the R-pane of MSInfo32. Then, use it's Edit menu
    to copy, & post it, unless that search tells you all you need to know.

    --
    | The only hook I get is 'get message' msh_zwf.dll POINTS 32 EXE which I
    think
    | is the mouse pointer.
    |
    | I will also disable KB 891711 in msconfig and report back Bob.

    | > What is going on just before the freeze? I seem to get a couple of
    dead
    | > freezes while NetZero is connecting to the NET these days. After
    that,
    | > all is well. I'm thinking it happens at the point it sets up it's
    hooks.
    | > Could be McAfee does it too. (I keep meaning to disable KB891711
    just
    | > once, just to see whether that is involved.)
    | >
    | > "START button, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, System Hooks"
    | > shows...
    | >
    | > Keyboard Wbhook32.dll WEBSCANX.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE
    | > VIRUSSCAN\Wbhook32.dll C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE
    | > VIRUSSCAN\WEBSCANX.EXE
    | >
    | > GetMessage Hook.dll EXEC.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\Hook.dll
    | > C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\EXEC.EXE
    | >
    | > Window Procedure Hook.dll EXEC.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\Hook.dll
    | > C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\EXEC.EXE
    | >
    | > Mouse Wbhook32.dll WEBSCANX.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE
    | > VIRUSSCAN\Wbhook32.dll C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE
    | > VIRUSSCAN\WEBSCANX.EXE
    | >
    | > Mouse Lgmoushk.dll EM_EXEC.EXE C:\MOUSE\SYSTEM\Lgmoushk.dll
    | > C:\MOUSE\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | > | My computer(98SE) likes to freeze for about 30 seconds about once
    or
    | > twice
    | > | each evening then carries on as if nothing has happened. I don't
    seem
    | > | have a spyware or viruses. I have tried a different processor also
    | > removed
    | > | most of my temp files and folders. I would like to find the reason
    for
    | > this
    | > | freeze. Any suggestions. bob
    | > |
    | > |

    | http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=Point32.exe
    | GG has 1,580 hits for "Point.exe", if that's what you meant.

    Point32.exe, I meant.

    --
    | I see. Yes, do that please with KB891711, as I forgot again! Do your
    | freezes only happen at boot or only when you start a certain app? Did
    | you throw Points32.exe into a search engine? I don't have that one
    | precisely...
    |
    | http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=Point32.exe
    | GG has 1,580 hits for "Point.exe", if that's what you meant.
    |
    | It seems to deal with "Intellipoint and Intellitype" by one Jason
    | Tsang - Microsoft MVP there, & indeed that may be a mouse item.
    |
    | Highlight that hook in the R-pane of MSInfo32. Then, use it's Edit
    menu
    | to copy, & post it, unless that search tells you all you need to know.
    |

    | --
    | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | should things get worse after this,
    | PCR
    | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | | The only hook I get is 'get message' msh_zwf.dll POINTS 32 EXE which
    | think
    | | is the mouse pointer.
    | |
    | | I will also disable KB 891711 in msconfig and report back Bob.
    | |
    | | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    | | > What is going on just before the freeze? I seem to get a couple of
    | dead
    | | > freezes while NetZero is connecting to the NET these days. After
    | that,
    | | > all is well. I'm thinking it happens at the point it sets up it's
    | hooks.
    | | > Could be McAfee does it too. (I keep meaning to disable KB891711
    | just
    | | > once, just to see whether that is involved.)
    | | >
    | | > "START button, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, System Hooks"
    | | > shows...
    | | >
    | | > Keyboard Wbhook32.dll WEBSCANX.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE
    | | > VIRUSSCAN\Wbhook32.dll C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE
    | | > VIRUSSCAN\WEBSCANX.EXE
    | | >
    | | > GetMessage Hook.dll EXEC.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\Hook.dll
    | | > C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\EXEC.EXE
    | | >
    | | > Window Procedure Hook.dll EXEC.EXE C:\PROGRAM
    FILES\NETZERO\Hook.dll
    | | > C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\EXEC.EXE
    | | >
    | | > Mouse Wbhook32.dll WEBSCANX.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE
    | | > VIRUSSCAN\Wbhook32.dll C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE
    | | > VIRUSSCAN\WEBSCANX.EXE
    | | >
    | | > Mouse Lgmoushk.dll EM_EXEC.EXE C:\MOUSE\SYSTEM\Lgmoushk.dll
    | | > C:\MOUSE\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
    | | >

    | | > --
    | | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | | > should things get worse after this,
    | | > PCR
    | | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | | > "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | or
    | | > twice
    | seem
    | | > removed
    | for
    | | > this
    | | > |
    | | > |

    | |
    | |

    Try this
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319524

    also "windows hook" works in my google taskbar on the bottom toolbar

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/winui/windowsuserinterface/windowing/hooks.asp

    > I haven't researched it thoroughly. My understanding is that a hook will
    > allow an app such as McAfee to be informed/grab control, when a certain
    > event occurs, such as possibly a mouse movement.
    >
    > Seems Bob B. found a starting point. Unfortunately, the MDSN article...

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/hooks_9rg3.asp
    > ...inside the MSKB article he posted doesn't appear to exist. Typing
    > "system hook" inside it's search engine also is disappointing. Just
    > "hook" might do it, but there is a lot of flack to ignore.
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > | > all is well. I'm thinking it happens at the point it sets up it's
    > hooks.
    > |
    > | hey there friend...
    > | I have been to 3 different computer dictionaries and found squat
    > | on 'system hooks'.
    > | Give me some info or links plz, I want to know more
    > |
    > | In mine, it shows 3 and each has something to do with my AntiV. Is
    > | system-hooks dedicated to picking up stuff re: anti virus?
    > |
    > | ..Rex..

    GetMessage Msh_zwf.dll POINT32.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT
    HARDWARE\MOUSE\Msh_zwf.dll C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT
    HARDWARE\MOUSE\POINT32.EXE

> [...]
    > hooks.
    > | > Could be McAfee does it too. (I keep meaning to disable KB891711
    > just
    > | > once, just to see whether that is involved.)
    > | >
    > | > "START button, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, System Hooks"
    > | > shows...
    > | >
    > | > Keyboard Wbhook32.dll WEBSCANX.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE
    > | > VIRUSSCAN\Wbhook32.dll C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE
    > | > VIRUSSCAN\WEBSCANX.EXE
    > | >
    > | > GetMessage Hook.dll EXEC.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\Hook.dll
    > | > C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\EXEC.EXE
    > | >
    > | > Window Procedure Hook.dll EXEC.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\Hook.dll
    > | > C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\EXEC.EXE
    > | >
    > | > Mouse Wbhook32.dll WEBSCANX.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE
    > | > VIRUSSCAN\Wbhook32.dll C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE
    > | > VIRUSSCAN\WEBSCANX.EXE
    > | >
    > | > Mouse Lgmoushk.dll EM_EXEC.EXE C:\MOUSE\SYSTEM\Lgmoushk.dll

    I have just had a quick try using Norton system works to see if it came up
    with any solutions (I dont normally leave this programme on my hard drive)
    As usual it didn't find any problems. It tho' leave another "hook".
    Preventing KB891711 from working using msconfig didnt seem to make any
    difference as I still had the same fault. Bob

    > I haven't researched it thoroughly. My understanding is that a hook will
    > allow an app such as McAfee to be informed/grab control, when a certain
    > event occurs, such as possibly a mouse movement.
    >
    > Seems Bob B. found a starting point. Unfortunately, the MDSN article...

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/hooks_9rg3.asp
    > ...inside the MSKB article he posted doesn't appear to exist. Typing
    > "system hook" inside it's search engine also is disappointing. Just
    > "hook" might do it, but there is a lot of flack to ignore.
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > | > all is well. I'm thinking it happens at the point it sets up it's
    > hooks.
    > |
    > | hey there friend...
    > | I have been to 3 different computer dictionaries and found squat
    > | on 'system hooks'.
    > | Give me some info or links plz, I want to know more
    > |
    > | In mine, it shows 3 and each has something to do with my AntiV. Is
    > | system-hooks dedicated to picking up stuff re: anti virus?
    > |
    > | ..Rex..

    Ah! Yea, that looks innocent enough. You seem in name close enough to
    Bob B. How did it go disabling KB891711, as I forgot yet again? Or, turn
    off that mouse hook, just to see. I believe that Google search said it
    may be done.

    --
    "Robert Brown" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | GetMessage Msh_zwf.dll POINT32.EXE C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT
    | HARDWARE\MOUSE\Msh_zwf.dll C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT
    | HARDWARE\MOUSE\POINT32.EXE

    | > I see. Yes, do that please with KB891711, as I forgot again! Do your
    | > freezes only happen at boot or only when you start a certain app?
    Did
    | > you throw Points32.exe into a search engine? I don't have that one
    | > precisely...
    | >
    | > http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=Point32.exe
    | > GG has 1,580 hits for "Point.exe", if that's what you meant.
    | >
    | > It seems to deal with "Intellipoint and Intellitype" by one Jason
    | > Tsang - Microsoft MVP there, & indeed that may be a mouse item.
    | >
    | > Highlight that hook in the R-pane of MSInfo32. Then, use it's Edit
    menu
    | > to copy, & post it, unless that search tells you all you need to
    know.

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | > | The only hook I get is 'get message' msh_zwf.dll POINTS 32 EXE
    which I
    | > think
    | > | is the mouse pointer.
    | > |
    | > | I will also disable KB 891711 in msconfig and report back Bob.
    | > |
    | > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    | > dead
    | > that,
    | > hooks.
    | > just

    Hooks"

    FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE

    FILES\NETZERO\Hook.dll

    | > or
    | > seem
    | > for
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > |

    Oh. Well, KB891711 was just a guess, really. So are the hooks.

    Are your freezes just happening at boot or during/just after connecting
    to NET? And never again (really) during the session (that I notice)? If
    not, what is the last thing you click before it happens?

    --
    | I have just had a quick try using Norton system works to see if it
    came up
    | with any solutions (I dont normally leave this programme on my hard
    drive)
    | As usual it didn't find any problems. It tho' leave another "hook".
    | Preventing KB891711 from working using msconfig didnt seem to make any
    | difference as I still had the same fault. Bob

    | > I haven't researched it thoroughly. My understanding is that a hook
    will
    | > allow an app such as McAfee to be informed/grab control, when a
    certain
    | > event occurs, such as possibly a mouse movement.
    | >
    | > Seems Bob B. found a starting point. Unfortunately, the MDSN
    article...

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/hooks_9rg3.asp
    | > ...inside the MSKB article he posted doesn't appear to exist. Typing
    | > "system hook" inside it's search engine also is disappointing. Just
    | > "hook" might do it, but there is a lot of flack to ignore.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | > hooks.
    | > |
    | > | hey there friend...
    | > | I have been to 3 different computer dictionaries and found squat
    | > | on 'system hooks'.
    | > | Give me some info or links plz, I want to know more
    | > |
    | > | In mine, it shows 3 and each has something to do with my AntiV.
    Is
    | > | system-hooks dedicated to picking up stuff re: anti virus?
    | > |
    | > | ..Rex..
    | > |
    | > |

    I see. "Windows Hook" DOES show up at the MSDN, where "System Hook" was
    blank. Thanks. It's much as I intuitively thought. Many an event can be
    monitored & information passed to a running app by these hooks. I hope
    McAfee, NetZero, & my Logitech mouse are honest old souls!

    --
    | Try this
    | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319524
    |

    | also "windows hook" works in my google taskbar on the bottom toolbar

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/winui/windowsuserinterface/windowing/hooks.asp

    | > I haven't researched it thoroughly. My understanding is that a hook
    will
    | > allow an app such as McAfee to be informed/grab control, when a
    certain
    | > event occurs, such as possibly a mouse movement.
    | >
    | > Seems Bob B. found a starting point. Unfortunately, the MDSN
    article...

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/hooks_9rg3.asp
    | > ...inside the MSKB article he posted doesn't appear to exist. Typing
    | > "system hook" inside it's search engine also is disappointing. Just
    | > "hook" might do it, but there is a lot of flack to ignore.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | > hooks.
    | > |
    | > | hey there friend...
    | > | I have been to 3 different computer dictionaries and found squat
    | > | on 'system hooks'.
    | > | Give me some info or links plz, I want to know more
    | > |
    | > | In mine, it shows 3 and each has something to do with my AntiV.
    Is
    | > | system-hooks dedicated to picking up stuff re: anti virus?
    | > |
    | > | ..Rex..
    | > |
    | > |

    I opened up a new newsgroup.. news.cable.ntlworld.com (I also use
    text.news.ntlworld.com although this can be slow sometimes)but used the
    other way I name myself (sorry) The fault is so intermittant that the last
    two times I used the computer I did not get the freeze. Bob

    > Oh. Well, KB891711 was just a guess, really. So are the hooks.
    >
    > Are your freezes just happening at boot or during/just after connecting
    > to NET? And never again (really) during the session (that I notice)? If
    > not, what is the last thing you click before it happens?
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > | I have just had a quick try using Norton system works to see if it
    > came up
    > | with any solutions (I dont normally leave this programme on my hard
    > drive)
    > | As usual it didn't find any problems. It tho' leave another "hook".
    > | Preventing KB891711 from working using msconfig didnt seem to make any
    > | difference as I still had the same fault. Bob
    > |
    > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    > | > I haven't researched it thoroughly. My understanding is that a hook
    > will
    > | > allow an app such as McAfee to be informed/grab control, when a
    > certain
    > | > event occurs, such as possibly a mouse movement.
    > | >
    > | > Seems Bob B. found a starting point. Unfortunately, the MDSN
    > article...

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/hooks_9rg3.asp
    > | > ...inside the MSKB article he posted doesn't appear to exist. Typing
    > | > "system hook" inside it's search engine also is disappointing. Just
    > | > "hook" might do it, but there is a lot of flack to ignore.
    > | >

    > | > --
    > | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > | > should things get worse after this,
    > | > PCR
    > | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > | > "Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > it's
    > | > hooks.
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > Is
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |

    I can think it's a normal phenomenon, if it only happens occasionally.
    There might be infrequent moments when an app must demand exclusive use
    of the computer. Both McAfee & NetZero do it, but only on initial use (I
    think).

    Double check you are clean of viruses/spyware. Then, grin & bear the
    infrequent 30 second freezes.

    --
    | I opened up a new newsgroup.. news.cable.ntlworld.com (I also use
    | text.news.ntlworld.com although this can be slow sometimes)but used
    the
    | other way I name myself (sorry) The fault is so intermittant that the
    last
    | two times I used the computer I did not get the freeze. Bob

    | > Oh. Well, KB891711 was just a guess, really. So are the hooks.
    | >
    | > Are your freezes just happening at boot or during/just after
    connecting
    | > to NET? And never again (really) during the session (that I notice)?
    If
    | > not, what is the last thing you click before it happens?
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | > | I have just had a quick try using Norton system works to see if it
    | > came up
    | > | with any solutions (I dont normally leave this programme on my
    hard
    | > drive)
    | > | As usual it didn't find any problems. It tho' leave another
    "hook".
    | > | Preventing KB891711 from working using msconfig didnt seem to make
    any
    | > | difference as I still had the same fault. Bob
    | > |
    | > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    | > will
    | > certain