Defrag

When I try to defrag my computer it starts:
Reading drive information
defraging file system (after it finally gets there)
then

Drive contents have changed - restarting

Before I start the defrag, I turn off the virus protector and the screen
saver so I can't think of anyting else that would be "changing" the drive
contents.

Eventually, after about 3-4 hours, it will finish defragging.

Would appreciate any help....Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about defrag

    See the "Clean Boot" article link in my signature.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Ellen55" <Ellen55@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I try to defrag my computer it starts:
    > Reading drive information
    > defraging file system (after it finally gets there)
    > then
    >
    > Drive contents have changed - restarting
    >
    > Before I start the defrag, I turn off the virus protector and the
    > screen
    > saver so I can't think of anyting else that would be "changing" the
    > drive
    > contents.
    >
    > Eventually, after about 3-4 hours, it will finish defragging.
    >
    > Would appreciate any help....Thanks

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q287914
    Articles about Scandisk
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q286263
    Articles about Defrag

    I must warn that Scandisk may not do a great job when there is a
    great one to do...
    http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/scandisk.htm
    Therefore, perhaps UNcheck "Automatically fix errors" on it's front
    screen. It will then ask whether you want each error fixed. If it sounds
    truly horrible, say "No!", and post the log. The log will be
    "C:\Scandisk.log". Do not let it constantly restart, either. (When
    running Scandisk in DOS, there won't be such a box to uncheck. You must
    "Scandisk /Checkonly", instead. It will write to the same .log. The
    Auto-Scandisk that runs from DOS after a crash must be set to "Prompt"
    the bad ones in C:\Windows\Command\Scandisk.ini.) REALLY, in light of
    all THAT, the BEST thing to do is to have a full system backup to run
    to! Would you like my list of backup apps?

    1. Turn off screen saver (R-Clk Desktop, Properties, Screen Saver--
    None)
    2. Turn off power management (Control Panel, Power Management-- Always
    On,Never,Never,Never)
    3. Disable any permanent internet cable connection, perhaps.
    4. Suspend Task Scheduler
    5. Turn off interfering programs. Use "StartupCop" or "EndItAll2" from
    PCMag (below). Or "START, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab". Note what is
    unchecked. Then, go to the General tab & disable the entire Startup
    Group, by clicking "Selective.." & unchecking "Load Startup...". Reboot.
    Don't forget to re-enable before the next boot.
    6. Use "HDValet" from PCMag, or
    (a) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, bolt Delete
    all offline content, OK, OK"
    (b) "START, Run, %TEMP%", & delete all files that will let you. This
    will likely be "C:\Windows\Temp". This is best done after a fresh boot,
    unless you have not seen the message "Reboot to complete this install".
    7. Run Scandisk (Thorough, usually w/o write testing. Check all three
    items under "Scandisk, Advanced button, 'Check files for' box". If you
    want to be informed as it does a fix, UNcheck "Automatically fix errors"
    on the front screen, or look inside "C:\Scandisk.log" afterwards.)
    8. "START, Run, Defrag /p /details". Apparently, "/p" Defrags the
    unmovables.

    The purpose of steps 1-5 is only to prevent constant restarts of
    Scandisk & Defrag, if you get them; but DEFINITELY turn off the Virus
    Scanner. Scandisk should be done perhaps once a month, and certainly
    after every serious crash. Do a Defrag after a sluggish boot or when
    this says so:
    http://www.pcmag.com/ 's CrackUp, by Gregory A. Wolking & Bob Flanders.
    Also, take DiskAction, to determine what is constantly writing to the
    HDD, which causes the restarts. Take BHOCop & StartupCop too.

    "DiskAction" reports the last 12 processes that access any partition. It
    discovered the Microsoft Windows Critical Update Notification tool was
    accessing my HDD every five minutes. It can be uninstalled in "Control
    Panel, Add/Remove Programs". Then, occasionally, "START, Windows Update"
    on your own.

    "BHOCop" found a Browser Helper Object called Wavehelper Class, created
    by "Wavetop", that was building a monstrosity of an error log called
    "Logit.txt" in here. "START, Find, F/F, Logit.txt"-- see one?

    Now, my hard drive is quieter than my mouse. (Of course, I now also have
    384 MB RAM, up from an initial 64, eliminating Swap File activity.)

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Ellen55" <Ellen55@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | When I try to defrag my computer it starts:
    | Reading drive information
    | defraging file system (after it finally gets there)
    | then
    |
    | Drive contents have changed - restarting
    |
    | Before I start the defrag, I turn off the virus protector and the
    screen
    | saver so I can't think of anyting else that would be "changing" the
    drive
    | contents.
    |
    | Eventually, after about 3-4 hours, it will finish defragging.
    |
    | Would appreciate any help....Thanks

    See the defrag and scandisk troubleshooters located here:
    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/how_to.html

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "Ellen55" <Ellen55@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I try to defrag my computer it starts:
    > Reading drive information
    > defraging file system (after it finally gets there)
    > then
    >
    > Drive contents have changed - restarting
    >
    > Before I start the defrag, I turn off the virus protector and the screen
    > saver so I can't think of anyting else that would be "changing" the drive
    > contents.
    >
    > Eventually, after about 3-4 hours, it will finish defragging.
    >
    > Would appreciate any help....Thanks

    If you want to learn about Partition, Hard Disks, File systems and Data
    Recovery, Book "Data Recovery with & without Programming"

    You can see the contents of the book on following Link:

    http://www.DataDoctor.biz/author.htm

    Regards

    TT

    If we want spam, we'll check our email; thanks anyway........

    "Data Recovery Expert" <taruntyagiDDI@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > If you want to learn about Partition, Hard Disks, File systems and Data
    > Recovery, Book "Data Recovery with & without Programming"
    >
    > You can see the contents of the book on following Link:
    >

    > http://www.DataDoctor.biz/author.htm
    >

    > Regards
    >
    > TT

    For goodness sake, just grab a copy of 'degrag.exe' from
    a computer running 'M.E'.
    Copy it from a friend or whatever onto a floppy.
    On your computer, go into c:\windows and find 'Defrag.Exe'. Rename this
    file to 'Defragold.exe'. Next, copy your new one from the floppy and
    place it in the above folder. (make a shortcut to it on your desktop)
    Run it and watch your problem disappear.
    Windows 98 has a very poor version of Defrag, but Windows M.E has
    a good one.

    ...Rex..

    "Ellen55" <Ellen55@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I try to defrag my computer it starts:
    > Reading drive information
    > defraging file system (after it finally gets there)
    > then
    >
    > Drive contents have changed - restarting
    >
    > Before I start the defrag, I turn off the virus protector and the screen
    > saver so I can't think of anyting else that would be "changing" the drive
    > contents.
    >
    > Eventually, after about 3-4 hours, it will finish defragging.
    >
    > Would appreciate any help....Thanks

    Just using the ME defrag utility won't necessarily prevent the "disk in
    use/restart defrag" problem. I've seen ME systems with the same problem.
    Yes, it's faster, but that's the only real difference. The procedures I
    suggest in my Clean Boot article are also just good maintenance
    practices in their own right.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > For goodness sake, just grab a copy of 'degrag.exe' from
    > a computer running 'M.E'.
    > Copy it from a friend or whatever onto a floppy.
    > On your computer, go into c:\windows and find 'Defrag.Exe'. Rename
    > this
    > file to 'Defragold.exe'. Next, copy your new one from the
    > floppy and
    > place it in the above folder. (make a shortcut to it on your desktop)
    > Run it and watch your problem disappear.
    > Windows 98 has a very poor version of Defrag, but Windows M.E has
    > a good one.
    >
    > ..Rex..
    >
    > "Ellen55" <Ellen55@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> When I try to defrag my computer it starts:
    >> Reading drive information
    >> defraging file system (after it finally gets there)
    >> then
    >>
    >> Drive contents have changed - restarting
    >>
    >> Before I start the defrag, I turn off the virus protector and the
    >> screen
    >> saver so I can't think of anyting else that would be "changing" the
    >> drive
    >> contents.
    >>
    >> Eventually, after about 3-4 hours, it will finish defragging.
    >>
    >> Would appreciate any help....Thanks

Defragment Windows