Cant Change Screan Resolution, Cant work my Cam

I have windows 98 and I cant change the screan resolution at all. Its
a the lowest and I got a cam and it cant work because the screan
resolution is to low. It doesnt want to move at all when I try to
move it. it just stays there. SO I am just wonder if its my computer
or my screan. Please help

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Change-Screan-Resolution-work-Cam-ftopict399335.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1318866
3 answers Last reply
More about cant change screan resolution work

    You need to update your display adapter (video card) drivers. Make sure
    that you have installed the drivers from the manufacturer of your computer
    or of the video card. Nearly all manufacturer's have drivers available on
    their web sites that you can download. When you use the standard Windows
    VGA drivers, you don't have the capability of higher resolutions and more
    colors.

    PattyL

    "bc_northman" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    >I have windows 98 and I cant change the screan resolution at all. Its
    > a the lowest and I got a cam and it cant work because the screan
    > resolution is to low. It doesnt want to move at all when I try to
    > move it. it just stays there. SO I am just wonder if its my computer
    > or my screan. Please help

    > request
    > Topic URL:
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Change-Screan-Resolution-work-Cam-ftopict399335.html

    When the correct screen resolution (screen area) or the right number of
    colors are not available choices in display properties, settings tab, then
    it is a good bet you do not have the right driver installed for your display
    adapter. The display adapter in your PC is either a video card or a display
    chipset on the motherboard.

    If you received a CD or floppy disks with drivers along with your PC, see if
    they contain a display adapter driver and install it using: control panel,
    system, device manager, display adapter.

    If you know what display adapter your PC has but you have no disks, use
    www.google.com to track down the correct driver on the internet.

    If you do not know what display adapter your PC uses, you can go to a MS-DOS
    prompt and type: Debug and hit enter. The screen will display a
    flashing prompt next to a - sign. Type: DC000:35 (DC000:50 may also work)
    and hit enter. The name and possibly model of your display adapter should
    appear on the right hand side of the screen. To quit Debug, type Q and hit
    enter. If Debug is not helpful, you can try this program: Advanced PCI
    Info, available at: http://www.upsystems.com.ua/support/alexmina/ If all
    else fails, you will have to remove the computer case. Look at where the
    monitor plugs into the back of the case and then check that location inside
    the case. If there is a card there, you obviously have a video card and if
    not, you have on board graphics. Write down any information displayed on
    either the card or the chipset on the motherboard. Then use www.google.com
    to search for the information. Do not include all the data you found in one
    search message--search on each piece individually. If you include all the
    information at once, you might not get a hit.

    I have found that a video card will generally have to be removed in order to
    see the information. Be careful of static electricity as it can fry
    components. Before touching anything in the computer case (the cord is
    unplugged, right?), ground yourself to the case by touching it. Don't work
    on carpeting since shuffling your feet on it can generate static electricity
    after you grounded yourself. Remove the one screw that holds the card in
    place and using a rocking motion (left to right and back), pull the card
    straight out.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "bc_northman" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    >I have windows 98 and I cant change the screan resolution at all. Its
    > a the lowest and I got a cam and it cant work because the screan
    > resolution is to low. It doesnt want to move at all when I try to
    > move it. it just stays there. SO I am just wonder if its my computer
    > or my screan. Please help

    > request
    > Topic URL:
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Change-Screan-Resolution-work-Cam-ftopict399335.html

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=127139
    Troubleshooting Video Problems in Windows

    "START, Run, MSConfig, Advanced button". If checked, then uncheck "VGA
    640x480x16", & reboot.

    "Control Panel, Display, Settings tab". Select as you wish from the
    Colors dropdown menu & the Size slider. Really, you should need nothing
    higher than "High Color (16 bit)", for speed/resource considerations.

    If you move the Screen Area slider to 1024x768 there, be sure to click
    the Advanced button, & select Large fonts.

    Try to get your colors/size at least twice that way. If it continues to
    fail, you may need to reinstall your Monitor or Display Adapter...

    For the Monitor...
    (1) Boot to Safe Mode
    (Hold F5 as you boot or CTRL for the Startup Menu)
    (2) "START, Settings, Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab"
    (3) Open the Monitors branch, & Remove all entries.

    Perhaps, FIRST, even in Normal Mode, note what is installed
    similar to below for the Adapter. That is...
    (a) D-Clk the monitor there for Properties, Driver tab.
    (b) Click the Update Driver button, then "Next".
    (c) Bolt "Display a list...", & click "Next".
    (d) Bolt "Show all hardware".
    Examine the two panes to see what is currently installed.
    That is likely what you wish to end up with, after step (4).

    (4) Boot to Normal Mode.

    Hopefully, it will be rediscovered & installed. Then, if still
    necessary, here is the rigmarole of the Display Adapter...

    .......Quote..........
    The first thing to do is to remove the video adapter you have
    installed. Right-click on the desktop; choose "Properties" from the
    drop-down menu; select "Settings;" click on the "Advanced" button; and
    click on "Adapter". An adapter is a program that tells Windows how to
    deal with a specific video card. Make note of the adapter that is
    currently installed. Then, change the adapter to "Standard Display
    Adapter (VGA)" and restart the system.

    [That is: Click "Change, Next, bolt 'Display a List...', Next, bolt
    'Show all hardware', scroll left pane to top, select '(Standard display
    types)', select 'Standard Display Adapter (VGA)' in right pane, click
    'Next'"... PCR]

    This will remove the current adapter and replace it with a generic VGA
    adapter that works with all video cards. You will not like VGA because
    it supports only 16 colors, but the purpose of installing it is to get
    rid of whatever was there before.

    Next, return to the adapter screen and install an adapter that matches
    your video card. This may or may not be the adapter that you are
    using now. Examine the materials you received with your computer to
    see if they include a CD-ROM or floppy disk that contains the correct
    video adapter. Or go to the Gateway website and see if they have an
    adapter for you to download. Or check the website of the company that
    made your video card.

    Bill Starbuck (MVP)
    .......End....of quote....

    Also...
    ..........Quote................
    To identify your video adapter correctly, download and run either the
    Everest or Aida32 utility, available here:
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php#everest

    Once you have identified the display adapter, go to the manufacturer's
    web site and download the correct driver for you operating
    system....(such as) Windows 98/98SE.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "bc_northman" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    | I have windows 98 and I cant change the screan resolution at all. Its
    | a the lowest and I got a cam and it cant work because the screan
    | resolution is to low. It doesnt want to move at all when I try to
    | move it. it just stays there. SO I am just wonder if its my computer
    | or my screan. Please help
    |
    | --
    | Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
    request
    | Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
    | Topic URL:
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Change-Screan-Resolution-work-Cam-ftopict399335.html
    | Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1318866

Windows 98 Resolution Microsoft Windows