Window's 98 defrag not working

Would it be OK to copy the defrag.exe program from one windows 98 computer to
another windows 98 computer? My neighbor's computers defrag will not run.
When you click on it to run, the window pops up as if it is going to run, but
it never does and there is not any action from the hard drive at all,
indicating that it is trying to run. I thought I would remove my neighbor's
defrag.exe and then copy the defrag.exe from my C:/Windows/ folder and paste
it into my neighbor's C:/Window/ folder and try to see if this will work.
Would I create any problems in trying to do that...and would it work? Thanks.
--
Wayne

"Wayne" <Wayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Would it be OK to copy the defrag.exe program from one windows 98 computer
> another windows 98 computer? My neighbor's computers defrag will not
run.
> When you click on it to run, the window pops up as if it is going to run,
but
> it never does and there is not any action from the hard drive at all,
> indicating that it is trying to run. I thought I would remove my
neighbor's
> defrag.exe and then copy the defrag.exe from my C:/Windows/ folder and
paste
> it into my neighbor's C:/Window/ folder and try to see if this will work.
> Would I create any problems in trying to do that...and would it work?
Thanks.

1. Your neighbour an check the integrity of his
c:\windows\defrag.exe
by using the SFC utility = System File Checker.
2. Yes, you can copy this file from one PC to
another of the same operating system.
2b. Most Win98 users seem now to prefer the
Win2000 version of DEFRAG (see archives of
this newsgroup.)
3. When DEFRAG fails to run under regular
Windows, see if rebooting to Safe Mode
enables its running.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

"Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
> 2b. Most Win98 users seem now to prefer the
> Win2000 version of DEFRAG (see archives of
> this newsgroup.)

No, some people have used the Defrag from Windows ME, not Win2K. I have never seen
a post here of anyone using the Win2K Defrag, or Defrag from *any* NT-kernel OS, in
a 9x OS. Defrag.exe from WinME will work in Win98 and is purported to be faster,
but doing so most likely is in violation of the License agreement the user agreed to
when installing Windows.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Yes, you can copy Defrag.exe from another Win98 computer and overwrite the one on
your neighbor's system, assuming it is the same version of the OS. I question
whether that is the problem though.

Have a look here for some ideas by MS MVP Ron Badour:
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/defrag.html
and
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/scandisk.html
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Wayne" <Wayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Would it be OK to copy the defrag.exe program from one windows 98 computer to
> another windows 98 computer? My neighbor's computers defrag will not run.
> When you click on it to run, the window pops up as if it is going to run, but
> it never does and there is not any action from the hard drive at all,
> indicating that it is trying to run. I thought I would remove my neighbor's
> defrag.exe and then copy the defrag.exe from my C:/Windows/ folder and paste
> it into my neighbor's C:/Window/ folder and try to see if this will work.
> Would I create any problems in trying to do that...and would it work? Thanks.
> --
> Wayne

> No, some people have used the Defrag from Windows ME, not Win2K. I have
never seen
> a post here of anyone using the Win2K Defrag, or Defrag from *any*
NT-kernel OS, in
> a 9x OS. Defrag.exe from WinME will work in Win98 and is purported to be
faster,
> but doing so most likely is in violation of the License agreement the user
agreed to
> when installing Windows.

Would it be illegal for me to get a WinME defrag? And if not - where do I
get it? TIA

> Defrag.exe from WinME will work in Win98 and is purported to be faster,
> but doing so most likely is in violation of the License agreement the user
> agreed to
> when installing Windows.

Although sites still provide it, many result in Page Not Found when clicking on
a download link. I conclude that MS is going after sites that offer it a little
at a time per this statement at one site:
<quote>
At the request of MicroSoft, LurkHere will no longer be making the Windows ME
Defrag utility available. Sorry for any inconvenience.
</quote>

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

I just wanted to let you all know that since my neighbor did not have a
zipping utility on her computer, and the ones that I found on the internet
needed to be unzipped, I copied the defrag.exe from my old windows 98 2nd
edition computer and put it on her computer. It worked just fine after doing
this and we finally got her computer defragged. Thank you all again very much
for the help.
--
Wayne

"Wayne" wrote:

> Would it be OK to copy the defrag.exe program from one windows 98 computer to
> another windows 98 computer? My neighbor's computers defrag will not run.
> When you click on it to run, the window pops up as if it is going to run, but
> it never does and there is not any action from the hard drive at all,
> indicating that it is trying to run. I thought I would remove my neighbor's
> defrag.exe and then copy the defrag.exe from my C:/Windows/ folder and paste
> it into my neighbor's C:/Window/ folder and try to see if this will work.
> Would I create any problems in trying to do that...and would it work? Thanks.
> --
> Wayne

Glad to hear it was that simple!