Window's 98 defrag not working

Would it be OK to copy the defrag.exe program from one windows 98 computer to
another windows 98 computer? My neighbor's computers defrag will not run.
When you click on it to run, the window pops up as if it is going to run, but
it never does and there is not any action from the hard drive at all,
indicating that it is trying to run. I thought I would remove my neighbor's
defrag.exe and then copy the defrag.exe from my C:/Windows/ folder and paste
it into my neighbor's C:/Window/ folder and try to see if this will work.
Would I create any problems in trying to do that...and would it work? Thanks.
--
Wayne
9 answers Last reply

    "Wayne" <Wayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > Would it be OK to copy the defrag.exe program from one windows 98 computer
    > another windows 98 computer? My neighbor's computers defrag will not
    run.
    > When you click on it to run, the window pops up as if it is going to run,
    but
    > it never does and there is not any action from the hard drive at all,
    > indicating that it is trying to run. I thought I would remove my
    neighbor's
    > defrag.exe and then copy the defrag.exe from my C:/Windows/ folder and
    paste
    > it into my neighbor's C:/Window/ folder and try to see if this will work.
    > Would I create any problems in trying to do that...and would it work?
    Thanks.

    1. Your neighbour an check the integrity of his
    c:\windows\defrag.exe
    by using the SFC utility = System File Checker.
    2. Yes, you can copy this file from one PC to
    another of the same operating system.
    2b. Most Win98 users seem now to prefer the
    Win2000 version of DEFRAG (see archives of
    this newsgroup.)
    3. When DEFRAG fails to run under regular
    Windows, see if rebooting to Safe Mode
    enables its running.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
    > 2b. Most Win98 users seem now to prefer the
    > Win2000 version of DEFRAG (see archives of
    > this newsgroup.)

    No, some people have used the Defrag from Windows ME, not Win2K. I have never seen
    a post here of anyone using the Win2K Defrag, or Defrag from *any* NT-kernel OS, in
    a 9x OS. Defrag.exe from WinME will work in Win98 and is purported to be faster,
    but doing so most likely is in violation of the License agreement the user agreed to
    when installing Windows.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Yes, you can copy Defrag.exe from another Win98 computer and overwrite the one on
    your neighbor's system, assuming it is the same version of the OS. I question
    whether that is the problem though.

    Have a look here for some ideas by MS MVP Ron Badour:
    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/defrag.html
    and
    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/scandisk.html
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Wayne" <Wayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Would it be OK to copy the defrag.exe program from one windows 98 computer to
    > another windows 98 computer? My neighbor's computers defrag will not run.
    > When you click on it to run, the window pops up as if it is going to run, but
    > it never does and there is not any action from the hard drive at all,
    > indicating that it is trying to run. I thought I would remove my neighbor's
    > defrag.exe and then copy the defrag.exe from my C:/Windows/ folder and paste
    > it into my neighbor's C:/Window/ folder and try to see if this will work.
    > Would I create any problems in trying to do that...and would it work? Thanks.
    > --
    > Wayne

    > No, some people have used the Defrag from Windows ME, not Win2K. I have
    never seen
    > a post here of anyone using the Win2K Defrag, or Defrag from *any*
    NT-kernel OS, in
    > a 9x OS. Defrag.exe from WinME will work in Win98 and is purported to be
    faster,
    > but doing so most likely is in violation of the License agreement the user
    agreed to
    > when installing Windows.

    Would it be illegal for me to get a WinME defrag? And if not - where do I
    get it? TIA

    jkb wrote:

    > Would it be illegal for me to get a WinME defrag? And if not - where do I
    > get it? TIA

    http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/tec060902.html

    Rick

    > http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/tec060902.html

    Thanx! I've got it installed.

    > Defrag.exe from WinME will work in Win98 and is purported to be faster,
    > but doing so most likely is in violation of the License agreement the user
    > agreed to
    > when installing Windows.

    Although sites still provide it, many result in Page Not Found when clicking on
    a download link. I conclude that MS is going after sites that offer it a little
    at a time per this statement at one site:
    <quote>
    At the request of MicroSoft, LurkHere will no longer be making the Windows ME
    Defrag utility available. Sorry for any inconvenience.
    </quote>

    --

    Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://basconotw.mvps.org/

    Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    I just wanted to let you all know that since my neighbor did not have a
    zipping utility on her computer, and the ones that I found on the internet
    needed to be unzipped, I copied the defrag.exe from my old windows 98 2nd
    edition computer and put it on her computer. It worked just fine after doing
    this and we finally got her computer defragged. Thank you all again very much
    for the help.
    --
    Wayne

    "Wayne" wrote:

    > Would it be OK to copy the defrag.exe program from one windows 98 computer to
    > another windows 98 computer? My neighbor's computers defrag will not run.
    > When you click on it to run, the window pops up as if it is going to run, but
    > it never does and there is not any action from the hard drive at all,
    > indicating that it is trying to run. I thought I would remove my neighbor's
    > defrag.exe and then copy the defrag.exe from my C:/Windows/ folder and paste
    > it into my neighbor's C:/Window/ folder and try to see if this will work.
    > Would I create any problems in trying to do that...and would it work? Thanks.
    > --
    > Wayne

    Glad to hear it was that simple!
    --

    > I just wanted to let you all know that since my neighbor did not have a
    > zipping utility on her computer, and the ones that I found on the internet
    > needed to be unzipped, I copied the defrag.exe from my old windows 98 2nd
    > edition computer and put it on her computer. It worked just fine after doing
    > this and we finally got her computer defragged. Thank you all again very much
    > for the help.
    > --
    > Wayne
    >

    > "Wayne" wrote:
    >
    > > Would it be OK to copy the defrag.exe program from one windows 98 computer to
    > > another windows 98 computer? My neighbor's computers defrag will not run.
    > > When you click on it to run, the window pops up as if it is going to run, but
    > > it never does and there is not any action from the hard drive at all,
    > > indicating that it is trying to run. I thought I would remove my neighbor's
    > > defrag.exe and then copy the defrag.exe from my C:/Windows/ folder and paste
    > > it into my neighbor's C:/Window/ folder and try to see if this will work.
    > > Would I create any problems in trying to do that...and would it work? Thanks.
    > > --
    > > Wayne

Windows 98 Defragment Computers Windows