Sign in with
Your question

MSI k8N Diamand Plus ... No Sound !!!

Last response: in Motherboards
May 3, 2006 3:44:48 PM

Just installed all the drivers for this Mobo, including the the drivers on the Creative CD (was prompted to install the CD after clicking the "link" in the MSI app from the drivers CD). According to the Hardware Manager, the drivers are installed and working.

But I have yet to hear any sound except for the beep during post.

I'm using working headphones in the middle jack in the row of three mini-jacks (not either of the two jacks next to the optical S-PDIF jack). Creative's mixer and volume apps seem to be installed ok, and I have the volumes turned up.

Tried to update bios and drivers w/ Liveupdate, but online bios is still at version 1.00 for the MoBo, and no additional drivers were offered for sound. Went to Creative's site and got Audigy SE drivers, but their setup said that it couldn't detect any compatible hardware.

Only thing I noticed that could possibly be related is that the "south bridge" chip (chip farther away from the heatsink fan), is very hot to the touch.

Any suggestions?

More about : msi k8n diamand sound

May 3, 2006 4:31:32 PM

Is it really hot, because chip is always warmer than the area around it (obviously), and not just warm. Is the sound activated and configured correctly in bios?

Am i correct in assuming that this is onboard sound you are talking about? If it is an add in card make sure everything is connected properly. Try updating the bios manually (outside of the updater).

I guess a really cheap way to try out if it is a driver issure is to run a "live linux" cd like knoppix.
May 4, 2006 1:28:28 PM

Thanks for the reply nigelf.

There's really not much to set up in the BIOS. There's only enable/disable onboard sound. (And yes, I am talking about the onboard sound, it's the main reason I got this board instead of Asus.) The funny thing is, when I DID disable it in the BIOS, WinXP detected an onboard modem. I don't see a modem, or any mention about a modem in the manual. I disabled this modem in the hardware manager (couldn't find drivers for it anyway). Eventually I re-enableed the onboard sound in BIOS, but still nothing.

Do you relly think knoppix will be able to recognize the onboard sound card? Wouldn't I need a specific Linux hardware driver for the onboard sound?
Related resources
May 5, 2006 8:14:31 AM

Knoppix can usually run everything. Its just a really long shot that your win drivers are not ok. Are you using the standard microsoft ones or the ones from asus/creative/etc. the microsoft drivers are rock solid and always work if it supports the h/w (at least from my knowledge)

Are the IRQ's correct (dont know the positoions, I never really understood them, maybe try resetting the bios solves the problem, are they in the mobo manual?)?

if you cant get it to work you can always RMA it; usually faster and more efficient tha to take ages to look for some messed up driver.

EDIT: reread your post: modem? that really sounds like a messed up mobo. I would RMA it and save myself some trouble
May 5, 2006 4:15:29 PM

OK, problem solved !!! You forgot to ask me the very first question... "Are you sure your speakers are connected?".

Problem was not this MoBo at all. It was the case wiring. I had to remove two jumpers on the MoBo to plug in the block connector for the front panel of the case (Centurion 532). Apparently this front panel wiring is faulty (will try to straigten this out tonight). So the front panel jack does not work. And because I removed the two jumpers, the back panel didn't work either. When I put the jumpers back, the rear jack works fine. (sound pretty damn good too)

Yes, I have an older MSI borad w/ AC97 audio, and that had an option to enable AC97 sound and/or AC97 modem. However, this new board doesn't have AC97, and has no mention of a modem. I wonder what the heck that is all about. I'm not going to wory about it, it doesn't show up when the onboard sound is enabled. All seems to be working nice now.

I will definitely check out Knoppix anyway. Been meaning to check that out for some time now. I'm not really a Unix guy, but I know enough to be dangerous.

Thanks again nigelf.
May 5, 2006 4:56:25 PM

I have a Centurion 5 and a MSI K8N Diamond Plus too. I had the same problem when I first built this. I couldn't get any audio ports to work with the front audio ports connected, I disconnected them and it works fine, so I don't have the front audio ports connected. With this combination, it just doesn't seem to work.

I have also heard that phantom modem thing happens with this board sometimes, although I have not seen it myself, just make Windows ignore it if it keeps happening (disable it in the device manager).
May 7, 2006 9:56:47 AM

always ask the most obvious question: how could i have forgotten that
May 24, 2006 6:02:25 AM

I have the MSI K8N Diamond Plus and the Cooler Master Centurion 532 case as well. When I hooked the front panel to the motherboard using the cable plug marked "HD Audio", I got no sound from the front or rear panel jacks. When I hooked it up using the cable plug marked "AC97", I got sound from the front and rear panel jacks. (I went as far as to dismantle the case to find out what was wrong. Answer: nothing.)

It appears that the MB header is wired for AC97 front panel audio, while the case front panel is Intel HD Audio compliant. MSI doesn't say the header is AC97, but the pin layout and signal names match AC97 specifications. Cooler Master does say in a note on its web site that the Centurion 532 case implements the Intel HD Audio standard (http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Langua...).

Plugging headphones into the front panel jack didn't completely shut off the rear panel jacks, which a close look at the AC97 plug will explain. The Centurion 532's AC97 plug has jumper wires across pins 5-6 and 9-10, the right channel audio out and return pins and left channel audio out and return pins. Since the HD Audio jacks don't provide left and right audio return signals, the jumpers provide them for AC97 motherboards, but without the ability to shut off when headphones are plugged into the front panel jack.

The differences between AC97 and HD Audio are explained in the Intel Front Panel I/O Design Guide rev. 1.3 (http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/A2928604-005...). As the AC97 Dongle schematic and HD Audio Dongle Implementation schematic show, the front panel jacks are different, with the AC97 jacks incorporating two normally-closed switches to return left and right signals unless something is plugged into the jack, and the HD Audio jacks having a single normally-open switch which sends back a special "jack sense" signal instead, leaving it up to the HD Audio circuitry to cut off speaker output when the headphone jack is in use. In other words, there doesn't seem to be any simple way to make a front panel compatible with both AC97 and HD Audio.
May 24, 2006 9:53:20 PM

Thank you very much for doing such a thorough job at trouble shooting this issue. It's extremely helpful.
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
May 24, 2006 10:52:12 PM

Quote:

Plugging headphones into the front panel jack didn't completely shut off the rear panel jacks, which a close look at the AC97 plug will explain. The Centurion 532's AC97 plug has jumper wires across pins 5-6 and 9-10, the right channel audio out and return pins and left channel audio out and return pins. Since the HD Audio jacks don't provide left and right audio return signals, the jumpers provide them for AC97 motherboards, but without the ability to shut off when headphones are plugged into the front panel jack.

Interesting, I have the same issue with my Neo4 and Sonata-II case in that plugging headphones into the front side panel doesn't completely shut off the sound. I hadn't thought to check pins 5-6 & 9-10 even though I saw mention of it in the mobo manual. It basically said if you want to use the rear panel audio 5-6 & 9-10 must be jumpered. Weird thing is I don't have HD audio, only AC97 via the realtek ALC850.
May 25, 2006 5:31:29 AM

You're welcome. These forums have helped me a lot, so I'm happy to contribute a little.
May 25, 2006 5:32:04 AM

Maybe it isn't that weird. It sounds like you have an AC97 motherboard and an HD Audio front panel, just like the rest of us here. Probably most AC97 motherboards have jumpers in the speaker circuits to make it easy to extend them to optional front panel jacks.

If you had an AC97 front panel, you wouldn't need jumpers at the plug because internal switches in the headphone jack would take the place of jumpers while the headphones were unplugged. HD Audio front panel jacks don't work that way, so the front panel manufacturers compromise by putting jumpers in special connectors for AC97 motherboards which just split the audio signals between the front and rear jacks.

I assume that it would be impossible to make a motherboard accept one's choice of HD Audio or AC97 signals based on a BIOS setting, but I don't know that for a fact. Someday AC97 will go the way of the dodo and this one little connection will become simple again.
July 17, 2006 10:31:39 PM

HAAAA -- this FORUM IS GREAT ! --- i need a bubch of good laughs ! :mrgreen:

-- any reply on what i should buy ---

AMD s939 mobos

ASUS A8N32-SLI DELUXE -- vs-- MSI K8N DIAMOND PLUS

BOTH run Nvidea SLI at x16 each PCI-E
instead of older version at x8 each.

North Bridge HOT on MSI ?
-- while --
loss of PCI slot on ASUS under duel PCI-E as well as cmos jumper baracaded in --
MSI actually beat out asus in bebchmarks ! by a fraction -- see

http://www.hardwarelogic.com/
July 27, 2006 10:52:35 PM

I've got the K8N Platinum SLI board and I've loved it.

If you're looking at the SLI x16's don't forget about the DFI board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

If you're not looking to buy a sound card you can't go wrong with the MSI though. I ended up buying an X-Fi with the front inputs and it got a bit tight fitting all the parts in the box. The DFI has got the dual x16's and good support for overclocking (if you're into that). It's also got UV reactive PCB if you've got a window on your box and want to show it off a bit. Even my business major girlfriend went ooooooOOOOOOoooooo when I showed her my computer box with a window and some UV/Cold Cathode lights.

And isn't learning about motherboard wiring fun? Doing these things wrong and having to dig yourself out from 'em ensures you never make the same mistake twice! :) 
!