Sign in with
Your question

Strained Silicon On Insulator Transistor

Last response: in CPUs
May 3, 2006 3:45:33 PM

I don't know if this has been posted yet, if so, mods can delete this thread.

SSOI.pdf

Quote:

SOI Advantages
ß No latch-up and no leakage between devices
(dielectric isolation)
ß Enhanced speed performance (reduced
parasitic capacitance) ~ 25%
ß Low-power consumption, low voltage
ß Reduced short-channel effects
ß Scalable

Quote:

Conclusions
ß Strained SOI is the combination of two relatively new
technologies.
ß The combination of strained silicon and silicon on insulator
offer improved current drive, faster switching times, reduced
power consumption and lower voltage operation.
ß The resulting electrical performance provides:
ß 20% improvement over SOI alone
ß 35% improvement over standard silicon
ß Fabrication costs and continued improvements will determine
the future use of the product

ANyhow, it's old news, but at least it says the contrary about someone spreading FUD on AMD's process lacking against Intel's
May 3, 2006 4:25:30 PM

Nice paper SexBomb.

Hey, are you the guy from AMDzone or you're just a thread cloner? :?
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2006 6:41:34 PM

Action Man???????
Related resources
May 3, 2006 6:52:29 PM

Interesting PDF. However I fail to see how this guys academic report for his graduate program in 2003 has anything to do with process technology between Intel and AMD.

Both companies have access to the technology, AMD has chosen to use it. Intel has decided it is not worth the added cost, and they can get improvements to their process through many other techniques that they have chosen to employ. It is simple really, and not worth a fanboy debate.
May 4, 2006 6:17:23 AM

I'm not a fan of AMD's current 90nm SOI. Has cold bugs, and I don't think it scales as well as Intel's Strained Silicon...although power consumption might matter to some people as AMD DEFINATELY owns there in chip type.
May 4, 2006 6:36:51 AM

okay, okay I get it DAS keyboard and slinkies are cool... :lol: 

Good info by the way Sexy
May 4, 2006 8:32:32 AM

Quote:
if they implement stressed SOI at 65 nm, then they may achieve parity with Intel.

Did you forget?
Quote:
The new 0.065micron processors will technologically belong to the third generation that will combine such technologies as DSL (Dual Stress Liner), SMT (Stress Memorization Technology) and Embedded SiGe
from http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20060426181538.html

Oh BTW K10 is quad core.
May 4, 2006 3:23:09 PM

Quote:
Nope did not forget, they are using 4 stressors, if they get ssoi in, this will bring them up to effectively the same transistor metrics. (Ion/Ioff, Td, Vt). The data they reported that everyone says "40% will save the day" is clear, a direct compare of the raw data (just like the raw tortoise/hare data), shows Intel's 65 nm process ahead. There is do doubt that they have thrown everything in but the kitchen sink, a lot of cool acronyms, and difficult processes, technologically challenging, and an achievement if it works, but it still falls short of Intel's transistor metrics comparing the raw numers.

Jack

I always say this argument reminds me of the South in the 40s. 8)
May 4, 2006 4:21:52 PM

Quote:
I'm not a fan of AMD's current 90nm SOI. Has cold bugs, and I don't think it scales as well as Intel's Strained Silicon...although power consumption might matter to some people as AMD DEFINATELY owns there in chip type.

Wow-- compliments, alot said and you said it right on the money...in one sentence.

Cold bug is a a consequence of SOI -- it will only get worse when it goes to 65 nm. The stress scaling pinch (pardon the pun) is felt very strongly by AMD, the smaller you go the harder it is to strain the transistor well enough for performance (hence, AMD/IBM's use of 4 stressors compared to Intel's 2 stressors at 65 nm). People ooooohhhh and aaaaaaahhhh at 4 stressors, to those who know how it works they go eeeeeeggggaaaaddddssss they need 4 stressors :)  ...

Jack

Really??
Please give us tested info, papers, presentations or any type of evidence that can backup the above mentioned, until now everything you've said is just "personal speculation". Still, you kep spreading to everyone that Intel's process is beter than AMD's when the truth is far from that.
I really wish you good luck for finding such info (you'll need it) because it is 99% probale that you won't.

I guess the final question is why I think that AMD is more advanced in fabrication technology than Intel.

AMD, Intel - Copper Interconnects
AMD, Intel - 2nd Generation Stressed Silicon
AMD, Intel - Silicon Germanium stressing of PMOS gates
AMD, Intel - Silicon Nitride capping of NMOS gates
AMD, Intel - 2.9K Carbon Doped Oxide low K dielectic
AMD - Stress Memorization on NMOS gates
AMD - Silicon Germanium capping of PMOS gates
AMD - 2nd Generation Silicon On Insulator

Quote:
Nice paper SexBomb.

Hey, are you the guy from AMDzone or you're just a thread cloner?

I really don't know who I am?? 8O

Cheers.
May 4, 2006 8:00:23 PM

I'd like to contribute with more literature for those interested in SOI and its derivatives:

1) SiGe-On-Insulator (SGOI): Two Structures for CMOS Application

2) SSOI, SGOI, and GOI referemce review
Quote:
With the advent of strained Si, SOI, and other such
materials improvements, what was once ‘‘conventional’’
CMOS may soon look very ‘‘unconventional’’. This will
pave the way for a number of other novel materials and
process enhancements. So even though ‘‘plain vanilla’’
CMOS based on bulk Si technology was the de facto
standard for CMOS applications in the past, it appears
that future CMOS will have a myriad of flavors tailored
to different applications. While strained Si on bulk will
be an ideal, cost effective option for many applications,
strained Si-on-insulator may be optimal for highperformance
applications, and yet other enhanced
CMOS variants may prove beneficial for other integrated
circuit markets.

3) SiGe-free strained Si on insulator by wafer bonding and layer transfer
Take a good look at pages 2 and 3 and make your own conclusions

4) Effect of rapid thermal annealing on strain in ultrathin strained silicon
Quote:
Unlike surface channel SSOI CMOS, dual-channel SGOI structure ultilizes different layers for electron channel and hole channel. As shown in Fig. 2(a), the surface strained-Si layer is used for n-MOSFET’s (surface channel), and the underneath strained-Si1-yGey layer for p-MOSFET’s (buried channel). The corresponding band diagrams under n-FET and p-FET bias condition are illustrated in Fig. 2(c) and (d) respectively. This structure features high hole mobility enhancement. Starting with a relaxed Si0.7Ge0.3 buffer, for example, a strained-Si layer provides n-MOSFET’s over 80% mobility enhancement, while a strained-Si0.4Ge0.6 (60% Ge fraction) layer gives p-MOSFE’s about 200% hole mobility enhancement as demonstrated by experiment in bulk SiGe substrate [8].

5) Relaxed Silicon-Germanium on Insulator Substrate

6) Strained-Si-on-Insulator (SSOI) and SiGe-on-Insulator (SGOI): Fabrication Obstacles and Solutions
Quote:
A general method was pioneered and optimized for fabricating ultra-thin, high-quality,
low-defect, monocrystalline, uniform-thickness, strained-Si-on-insulator (SSOI) and relaxed
SiGe-on-insulator (SGOI). Specific improvements made to the process included the use of
metastable stop layers, low temperature wafer bonding, and improved selective SiGe etching.
Such a technique will serve as an enabling technology for the fabrication of substrates for
upcoming CMOS generations, proving once more that new materials will shape the future of microelectronics.

I do hope that forum members can make their own conclusions after reading all the links I have provided.
May 6, 2006 4:25:25 AM

Owned....again! :lol: 
May 6, 2006 7:16:23 AM

What I think Action man needs to Put his grandma keyboard back where it belongs and let people talk and stop posting them and put his grandpa slinky back on his night stand for the dang thing is over 60 years old.

Action man who has no action other then to flame other people with his granma and grandpa toys.

Hay everyone let type in all caps to make Action man mad.
May 6, 2006 7:20:10 AM

Wow, thats too stupid for words.
May 6, 2006 7:32:29 AM

Hate to say it Action Man you're one of the main reasons I stopped posting here.

I find you totally useless all you post is the same useless spam...

Well Mad Mod Mike too...
May 6, 2006 7:35:03 AM

Thats a shame. [/seinfeld]
May 6, 2006 8:15:16 AM

i find its just the same sh*t different day.

oh look its a keyboard

oh look its a slinky

Great! how funny
May 6, 2006 8:55:18 AM

your posts are boring and not funny,
not even a little funny, just the same joke, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over, and what pi$$es you off is people are starting to notice!

so why don't you cry about it, i know you want to! :cry: 
May 6, 2006 8:58:05 AM

Quote:

According to you.

Quote:
so why don't you cry about it, i know you want to!

The call reversal, how primary school like.

At the end of the day more people would back me then you.
May 6, 2006 9:04:32 AM

Quote:

According to you.

Quote:
so why don't you cry about it, i know you want to!

The call reversal, how primary school like.

At the end of the day more people would back me then you.

According to me and many others, and as for more people would come back to you, i don't think your as popular as you think you are, if after a few months i can see you for what you are it wouldn't take others long either.
May 6, 2006 9:06:22 AM

I don't think very popular but I'm confident more people would back me.
May 6, 2006 9:15:19 AM

Quote:
I don't think very popular but I'm confident more people would back me.

i would like a vote, just cos you have lots of posts doesn't make you better, I think it will work against you cos more people will have seen the same jokes!
May 6, 2006 9:17:04 AM

Quote:
just cos you have lots of posts doesn't make you better

When did I ever say or imply that? :roll:

Noobs. :roll:
May 6, 2006 11:40:59 AM

Quote:
i would like a vote, just cos you have lots of posts doesn't make you better, I think it will work against you cos more people will have seen the same jokes!

I guess you are less than 15, so I will be friendly educational to you.
The points of the forum is to give oportunity to people from different sides of the world share frinedship, ideas and knowledge.
Most of the discutants who come here(and after a while leave), are missing the primary points. They are spaming with useless boring contents, insults, uneducative untrue stories and etc. The reason is becouse they are nobody and nothing in the real life, and just becouse everything in the neighborhood knows that, they are trying to find another world where others will accept their world of illusions. Their primary task is to make others think in the same way and prove their knowledge and superiority. But they can't. Mostly they don't have any knowledge, just becouse they are ignoring the facts and the reality. They live in their own world where they are sitting on the throne and everything else rotates around them. The stereotypism in their ignorance is the worst, becouse they consider what they think is right and everything else is wrong, what they have is the best and everything else worst. When they make conclusions, they have radical point of view and they really belive in what they know and think, not giving a chance to themselves to learn something new, and correct their missunderstandings.
So the point of this thread is to tell to the others how good is the thing that the one who made this thread is owning, AMD becouse SOI is implemented in their chips. And just becouse Intel are not making chips on SOI they are bad.
All who are here for a while knows why 9-inch is posting, but no one know why he is posting the subjects in ALL CAPS. 99% of his threads are just wasting time and the CAPS are going to the nerves on almos all discutants who figured out that 9-inch has no education, just pointing to links that are speaking good about AMD, no metter if it is true or not and no metter becouse he does not understand that.
In the begining you can try ignore them, but they will not stop, when banned they come with new nicknames and the same story again.
So sometimes ignoring them does not help, and the best deffense is the offense.
I will find picture of better keyboard for keyboard_man, maybe 9-inch doesn't like the color of keyboard_mans keyboard.
May 6, 2006 12:42:46 PM

Quote:
not even a little funny, just the same joke, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over, and what pi$$es you off is people are starting to notice!
Don't you dare insult the
Don't you dare insult the Man of Action! Or this will happen to you.
May 6, 2006 1:30:39 PM

Quote:
Don't you dare insult the
Don't you dare insult the Man of Action! Or this will happen to you.

haha, well i will keep that in mind, but i stand by what i said.
May 6, 2006 4:20:18 PM

Quote:
:)  I wasn't going to get back into this and I am still not, but I couldn't help but notice that of those 6 papers one is actually pertinent, thanks I will use the link as it will be useful to what I want to talk about in the future...

However, curiously, I back-spaced over the URL to the root and found that this belonged to the Fitzgerald Group at MIT. I then clicked on papers/publications link and noticed the key acronym in almost all the titles for most of the papers was SSOI.... suspecting, I typed "SSOI" into the Google search field... check the first link that pops up -- hey an 'Elbert'ism -- nice google dude -- too bad you don't understand what you linked. :) 

EDIT: :lol:  :lol:  Sorry, couldn't help it... then I tried 'Strained SOI' and found the lead link on the second page, at least you were diligent enough to go forward one more page. Hmmmmmmm.. Nice job

It doesn't matter where I got my info from but still it is lame to see you couldn't prove nothing. Is this a sign of panicking??
May 6, 2006 4:40:31 PM

Quote:

Word.
May 6, 2006 4:42:19 PM

Quote:
It doesn't matter where I got my info from but still it is lame to see you couldn't prove nothing..

Nice double negative. Didn't you learn that when you put two negatives together, it makes a positive?

This is what you should have said:

Quote:
It doesn't matter where I got my info from but still it is lame to see you couldn't prove anything.

If you're trying to convey intelligence in your posts... don't make errors such as those.
May 6, 2006 8:38:51 PM

Quote:

Word. This one's for you Spud

and this

oh and Worder.
May 6, 2006 9:15:03 PM

LET ME POST IT SIMPLE ACTION MAN WE HATE YOUR DUMB POST AND GRANDMA AND GRANDPA PICTURES. WE WANT PEOPLE TO TALK ABOUT INFO ABOUT COMPUTERS AND NOT YOUR DUMB PICTURES. YOU INSULT TOMHARDWARE FORUMS.
May 6, 2006 9:36:07 PM

here what bad. People try to post questions and answers. Then you get children like action man who spam the person who trying to get answers. Woopie if they use caps. We need to act like adults and help the people understand. People who like Amd let them speak. As well as people who like Intel. This forum use to be a very good forum who had very good info.
May 6, 2006 9:58:37 PM

Quote:
LET ME POST IT SIMPLE ACTION MAN WE HATE YOUR DUMB POST AND GRANDMA AND GRANDPA PICTURES. WE WANT PEOPLE TO TALK ABOUT INFO ABOUT COMPUTERS AND NOT YOUR DUMB PICTURES. YOU INSULT TOMHARDWARE FORUMS.
Do you like my kitties?
May 6, 2006 10:26:56 PM

Na I pass. On your dumb clicky action Man. Why dont you listen to your broken record Action Man.

Hay dvdpiddy. It one thing to be funny which u did vers Action Man broken record.

Here the Differnce between dvdpiddy and Action Man.

Dvdpiddy is funny. And dvd dont spam it over and over and over with one thousand times of the same picture.

Where action Man spam the whole site with the Same Lame picture

This picture is what Action Man became.

May 6, 2006 10:51:03 PM

Quote:
Na I pass. On your dumb clicky action Man. Why dont you listen to your broken record Action Man.

Hay dvdpiddy. It one thing to be funny which u did vers Action Man broken record.

Dvdpiddy is funny. And dvd dont spam it over and over and over with one thousand times of the same picture.

This picture is what Action Man became.

Thank you your the first person here to not call me a spammer. :D 
May 6, 2006 11:02:06 PM

Quote:
Na I pass. On your dumb clicky action Man.

You should.

Quote:
Why dont you listen to your broken record Action Man.

Me postint a link is me being a broken record, sh!t hey.

Quote:

Dvdpiddy is funny.

According to you. More people would agree with me.

Quote:
And dvd dont spam it over and over and over with one thousand times of the same picture.

1000 times? Learn to count.

Quote:

I didn't realise 9-inch's threads were posted through out the whole site.
May 6, 2006 11:02:10 PM

I think we all need to take control of the forums. And not let People like Action Man Make tg forums a bad place.

1 We are here to discuss New tech.
2 We are here to help people
3 We are here to have fun
4 who care if Amd or Intel better. We can talk about how to make each better and mybe support each one.

Here what people hate.

People who act like broken records should be ban.

Let look at the main poster of this trread. SexBomb. Hum dont see 9 inch on this tread. So get your bloody eyes check.
May 6, 2006 11:06:30 PM

You're hate list is missing fanboys and trolls.
May 6, 2006 11:11:04 PM

Here the thing I Like both amd and intel they both have there pros and cons and each year both Amd and Intel tend leap frog each other in speed. Which helps us. I run both amd and Intel. So if I m a fanboy. I'm Fanboy of Tomshardware site and any other site that keeps me learning about computers.
May 6, 2006 11:14:32 PM

Fanboys don't help people to learn.
May 6, 2006 11:20:58 PM

And you think your spamming tomshardware forum keeps you learning? NO what it dose it keep people leaving.

Question to everyone. If People came here to ask questions do you think they would want to come here. If someone flooding the chat with a slinky and a keyboard. I would say no. They would see this and go oh a group of morons.

I want tg forums to be like it use to be before Action man came. hwew.
May 6, 2006 11:24:04 PM

Christ, you make like sound like I do it every single thread. STFU and stop crying over nothing.
May 6, 2006 11:46:25 PM

What wrong little boy. You dont like someone going agenst you for once. we dont like your insults. We want the forums how they should be. Not someone Like you who acts like he 13 years old and insults people with pictures.

At start of this tread There Sexbomb asking a question and what do you do. Start with your keyboard and slinky. You did not even read his post. This show how much you care about people and trying to help them. All you care about is to insult them. Let take a look. On this tread.

(Msg. 5) Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:30 am
Post subject: Re: STRAINED SILICON ON INSULATOR TRANSISTOR [in reply to: SexBomb]

Unlike you Action Man I came here to get Info and Help where I can. Theres others like me that want to help. Like JumpingJack Others.
May 6, 2006 11:53:18 PM

Quote:
What wrong little boy. You dont like someone going agenst you for once. we dont like your insults. We want the forums how they should be. Not someone Like you who acts like he 13 years old and insults people with pictures.

At start of this tread There Sexbomb asking a question and what do you do. Start with your keyboard and slinky. You did not even read his post. This show how much you care about people and trying to help them. All you care about is to insult them. Let take a look. On this tread.

(Msg. 5) Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:30 am
Post subject: Re: STRAINED SILICON ON INSULATOR TRANSISTOR [in reply to: SexBomb]

Unlike you Action Man I came here to get Info and Help where I can. Theres others like me that want to help. Like JumpingJack Others.

Why don'y you ask for help in appropriate psychiatric institution?
Action_Man is not a psycho, he will make you mad and crazy...and than you may kill yourslef....think about us, we need to laugh, and without you there would be no job for Action_man and no laugh for us.
May 6, 2006 11:54:27 PM

Wow, you're getting pretty upset over a guy posting two pictures in pointless fanboy/troll threads. Unbelievable.

Quote:
What wrong little boy. You dont like someone going agenst you for once.

No, I find it amazing how worked up you're getting.

Quote:
We want the forums how they should be.

I agree, we need MORE pointless AMD fanboy/troll threads! More I say!

Quote:
At start of this tread There Sexbomb asking a question and what do you do.

He did no such thing! Jack already called him out about googling this crap.

Seriously why are you so worked up about it?
May 6, 2006 11:55:38 PM

See now gOJDO is a reasonable guy. :trophy:
!