Why suddenly do I need to "login" on bootup?

Recently my system did something strange...it asked for user id and
password...so gave it what I recalled using way back when...but it was not
correct so ended up with NEW user id...backed it out by restoring registry
via scanreg...but it still now asks for sign-in at bootup...what did I do to
cause this?
2 answers Last reply
More about suddenly login bootup

    In article <8F507608-F7A4-4DBA-BA7E-34FFDE87E83F@microsoft.com>, "J5"
    <J5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >Recently my system did something strange...it asked for user id and
    >password...so gave it what I recalled using way back when...but it was not
    >correct so ended up with NEW user id...backed it out by restoring registry
    >via scanreg...but it still now asks for sign-in at bootup...what did I do to
    >cause this?

    I can't tell you what you did to cause it, but here's a way to remove
    the login prompt:

    1. Go to Control Panel | Network and set the primary login to Windows
    Logon.

    2. Log off or reboot, then log in with a user name and no password.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows Networking
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

    I don't know what you did but you can get rid of the login screen by
    assigning a blank password.

    Blank Password: Go to control panel, network, primary network logon and
    select Windows Logon. Go to control panel, passwords, user profiles and
    ensure the "all user's" box is marked. If you have a password established,
    go to control panel, passwords, change windows password, type the password
    in the old box, leave the rest blank and OK your way out. If you have
    forgotten your password, delete the .pwl file with your user name (mine is
    ron.pwl); however, be aware that you will lose all passwords stored in the
    ..pwl file. If you do not have a password established or have deleted the
    ..pwl file, when the W95/98 logon screen appears at boot, type a user name
    only and hit OK. If the logon screen continues to appear and you have Tweak
    UI installed, go to the Paranoia tab and remove the mark from "clear last
    user."

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "J5" <J5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Recently my system did something strange...it asked for user id and
    > password...so gave it what I recalled using way back when...but it was not
    > correct so ended up with NEW user id...backed it out by restoring registry
    > via scanreg...but it still now asks for sign-in at bootup...what did I do
    > cause this?

Login Microsoft Windows