Why suddenly do I need to "login" on bootup?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 23, 2005 3:35:02 PM

Recently my system did something strange...it asked for user id and
password...so gave it what I recalled using way back when...but it was not
correct so ended up with NEW user id...backed it out by restoring registry
via scanreg...but it still now asks for sign-in at bootup...what did I do to
cause this?

More about : suddenly login bootup

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 5:42:23 PM

In article <8F507608-F7A4-4DBA-BA7E-34FFDE87E83F@microsoft.com>, "J5"
<J5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>Recently my system did something strange...it asked for user id and
>password...so gave it what I recalled using way back when...but it was not
>correct so ended up with NEW user id...backed it out by restoring registry
>via scanreg...but it still now asks for sign-in at bootup...what did I do to
>cause this?

I can't tell you what you did to cause it, but here's a way to remove
the login prompt:

1. Go to Control Panel | Network and set the primary login to Windows
Logon.

2. Log off or reboot, then log in with a user name and no password.
--
Best Wishes,

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows Networking
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ
July 23, 2005 7:22:34 PM

I don't know what you did but you can get rid of the login screen by
assigning a blank password.

Blank Password: Go to control panel, network, primary network logon and
select Windows Logon. Go to control panel, passwords, user profiles and
ensure the "all user's" box is marked. If you have a password established,
go to control panel, passwords, change windows password, type the password
in the old box, leave the rest blank and OK your way out. If you have
forgotten your password, delete the .pwl file with your user name (mine is
ron.pwl); however, be aware that you will lose all passwords stored in the
..pwl file. If you do not have a password established or have deleted the
..pwl file, when the W95/98 logon screen appears at boot, type a user name
only and hit OK. If the logon screen continues to appear and you have Tweak
UI installed, go to the Paranoia tab and remove the mark from "clear last
user."

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98