Too Many Programs at Start up ???

I know enouph about computers to know that there are alot of programs
running all the time. These make your computer run slower than need
be. I have a list of my start yp programs and just wonder which ones I
can click off without messing up my computer.
The programs running are:
Microsoft Office Startup Group "C:Program FilesMicrosoft
OfficeOffice10OSA.EXE" -b -l
ctfmon.exe Registry (Per-User Run) ctfmon.exe
AOL Fast Start Registry (Per-User Run) "C:PROGRAM FILESAMERICA
ONLINE 9.0AOL.EXE" -b
AIM Registry (Per-User Run) C:PROGRAM FILESAIMaim.exe -cnetwait.odl
ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:windowsscanregw.exe /autorun
TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) c:windowstaskmon.exe
SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe
powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
HPScanPatch Registry (Machine Run) C:WINDOWSSYSTEMHPScanFix.exe
hpsysdrv Registry (Machine Run) c:windowssystemhpsysdrv.exe
USBMMKBD Registry (Machine Run) usbmmkbd.exe
StillImageMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:WINDOWSSYSTEMSTIMON.EXE
HostManager Registry (Machine Run) C:Program FilesCommon
FilesAOL1116353533EEAOLHostManager.exe
AOLDialer Registry (Machine Run) C:Program FilesCommon
FilesAOLACSAOLDial.exe
AOL Spyware Protection Registry (Machine
Run) "C:PROGRA~1COMMON~1AOLAOLSPY~1AOLSP Scheduler.exe"
MCAgentExe Registry (Machine
Run) C:PROGRA~1MCAFEE.COMAGENTmcagent.exe
VSOCheckTask Registry (Machine
Run) "C:PROGRA~1MCAFEE.COMVSOMCMNHDLR.EXE" /checktask
MCUpdateExe Registry (Machine
Run) C:PROGRA~1MCAFEE.COMAGENTMCUPDATE.EXE
Adaptec DirectCD Registry (Machine Run) C:Program
FilesDirectCDDIRECTCD.EXE
VirusScan Online Registry (Machine
Run) "C:PROGRA~1MCAFEE.COMVSOmcvsshld.exe"
Hidserv Registry (Machine Service) Hidserv.exe run
SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
KB891711 Registry (Machine
Service) c:windowsSYSTEMKB891711KB891711.EXE
AolAcsDaemon1 Registry (Machine Service) "C:PROGRAM FILESCOMMON
FILESAOLACSAOLACSD.EXE"
AOL TopSpeedMonitor Registry (Machine Service) C:Program FilesCommon
FilesAOLTopSpeed2.0aoltsmon.exe
McVsRte Registry (Machine
Service) C:PROGRA~1MCAFEE.COMVSOmcvsrte.exe /embedding
MDM7 Registry (Machine Service) "C:PROGRAM FILESCOMMON
FILESMICROSOFT SHAREDVS7DEBUGMDM.EXE"

Please
advise,

Chuck

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Programs-Start-ftopict399621.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1320175
9 answers Last reply
More about programs start

    Other than OSA and perhaps one or two other insignificant items, the
    only real contribution you can make to that situation is to stop using
    McAfee and AOL products. Both of which I heartily recommend, though
    others might disagree.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Chuck" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    >I know enouph about computers to know that there are alot of programs
    > running all the time. These make your computer run slower than need
    > be. I have a list of my start yp programs and just wonder which ones I
    > can click off without messing up my computer.
    > The programs running are:
    > Microsoft Office Startup Group "C:Program FilesMicrosoft
    > OfficeOffice10OSA.EXE" -b -l
    > ctfmon.exe Registry (Per-User Run) ctfmon.exe
    > AOL Fast Start Registry (Per-User Run) "C:PROGRAM FILESAMERICA
    > ONLINE 9.0AOL.EXE" -b
    > AIM Registry (Per-User Run) C:PROGRAM FILESAIMaim.exe -cnetwait.odl
    > ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:windowsscanregw.exe /autorun
    > TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) c:windowstaskmon.exe
    > SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    > LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe
    > powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    > HPScanPatch Registry (Machine Run) C:WINDOWSSYSTEMHPScanFix.exe
    > hpsysdrv Registry (Machine Run) c:windowssystemhpsysdrv.exe
    > USBMMKBD Registry (Machine Run) usbmmkbd.exe
    > StillImageMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:WINDOWSSYSTEMSTIMON.EXE
    > HostManager Registry (Machine Run) C:Program FilesCommon
    > FilesAOL1116353533EEAOLHostManager.exe
    > AOLDialer Registry (Machine Run) C:Program FilesCommon
    > FilesAOLACSAOLDial.exe
    > AOL Spyware Protection Registry (Machine
    > Run) "C:PROGRA~1COMMON~1AOLAOLSPY~1AOLSP Scheduler.exe"
    > MCAgentExe Registry (Machine
    > Run) C:PROGRA~1MCAFEE.COMAGENTmcagent.exe
    > VSOCheckTask Registry (Machine
    > Run) "C:PROGRA~1MCAFEE.COMVSOMCMNHDLR.EXE" /checktask
    > MCUpdateExe Registry (Machine
    > Run) C:PROGRA~1MCAFEE.COMAGENTMCUPDATE.EXE
    > Adaptec DirectCD Registry (Machine Run) C:Program
    > FilesDirectCDDIRECTCD.EXE
    > VirusScan Online Registry (Machine
    > Run) "C:PROGRA~1MCAFEE.COMVSOmcvsshld.exe"
    > Hidserv Registry (Machine Service) Hidserv.exe run
    > SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
    > KB891711 Registry (Machine
    > Service) c:windowsSYSTEMKB891711KB891711.EXE
    > AolAcsDaemon1 Registry (Machine Service) "C:PROGRAM FILESCOMMON
    > FILESAOLACSAOLACSD.EXE"
    > AOL TopSpeedMonitor Registry (Machine Service) C:Program FilesCommon
    > FilesAOLTopSpeed2.0aoltsmon.exe
    > McVsRte Registry (Machine
    > Service) C:PROGRA~1MCAFEE.COMVSOmcvsrte.exe /embedding
    > MDM7 Registry (Machine Service) "C:PROGRAM FILESCOMMON
    > FILESMICROSOFT SHAREDVS7DEBUGMDM.EXE"
    >
    > Please
    > advise,
    >
    > Chuck

    > request
    > Topic URL:
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Programs-Start-ftopict399621.html

    Upon rereading my post, I should clarify that I mean that I recommend
    *stopping* the use of both AOL and McAfee.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

> [...]
    >>
    >> --
    >> Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
    >> request
    >> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
    >> Topic URL:
    >> http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Programs-Start-ftopict399621.html
    >> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
    >> http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1320175

    "Chuck" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > I know enouph about computers to know that there are alot of programs
    > running all the time. These make your computer run slower than need
    > be. I have a list of my start yp programs and just wonder which ones I
    > can click off without messing up my computer.
    > The programs running are:
    > Microsoft Office Startup Group "C:Program FilesMicrosoft
    Not needed

    > ctfmon.exe Registry (Per-User Run) ctfmon.exe
    Possibly needed by your printer

    > AOL Fast Start Registry (Per-User Run) "C:PROGRAM FILESAMERICA
    > ONLINE 9.0AOL.EXE" -b
    Not needed

    > AIM Registry (Per-User Run) C:PROGRAM FILESAIMaim.exe -cnetwait.odl
    Don't know

    > ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:windowsscanregw.exe /autorun
    Usually useful (and does not fill memory after running)

    > TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) c:windowstaskmon.exe
    Not needed

    > SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    Traditionally useful: some mavens say not needed.

    > LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe
    Needed

    > powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    Not needed

    > HPScanPatch Registry (Machine Run) C:WINDOWSSYSTEMHPScanFix.exe
    Don't know -- consult HP

    > hpsysdrv Registry (Machine Run) c:windowssystemhpsysdrv.exe
    Don't know -- consult HP

    > USBMMKBD Registry (Machine Run) usbmmkbd.exe
    Try without this

    > StillImageMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:WINDOWSSYSTEMSTIMON.EXE
    Probably needed by 3-in-one scanner/printer

    > HostManager Registry (Machine Run) C:Program FilesCommon
    > FilesAOL1116353533EEAOLHostManager.exe
    Not needed

    > AOLDialer Registry (Machine Run) C:Program FilesCommon
    > FilesAOLACSAOLDial.exe
    Probably not needed

    > AOL Spyware Protection Registry (Machine
    > Run) "C:PROGRA~1COMMON~1AOLAOLSPY~1AOLSP Scheduler.exe"
    No scheduler is needed, but you may have set it up thus.

    > MCAgentExe Registry (Machine
    > Run) C:PROGRA~1MCAFEE.COMAGENTmcagent.exe
    You probably want this

    > VSOCheckTask Registry (Machine
    > Run) "C:PROGRA~1MCAFEE.COMVSOMCMNHDLR.EXE" /checktask
    See above: consult McAfee

    > MCUpdateExe Registry (Machine
    > Run) C:PROGRA~1MCAFEE.COMAGENTMCUPDATE.EXE
    Ditto

    > Adaptec DirectCD Registry (Machine Run) C:Program
    > FilesDirectCDDIRECTCD.EXE
    Depends how often you write to CD

    > VirusScan Online Registry (Machine
    > Run) "C:PROGRA~1MCAFEE.COMVSOmcvsshld.exe"
    Consullt McAfee

    > Hidserv Registry (Machine Service) Hidserv.exe run
    Don't know

    > SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
    Seldom needed (MS scheduler): it depends how often you
    assigned it to do something.

    > KB891711 Registry (Machine
    > Service) c:windowsSYSTEMKB891711KB891711.EXE
    See 18 recent messages in this NG about KB 891711

    > AolAcsDaemon1 Registry (Machine Service) "C:PROGRAM FILESCOMMON
    > FILESAOLACSAOLACSD.EXE"
    Probably not needed

    > AOL TopSpeedMonitor Registry (Machine Service) C:Program FilesCommon
    > FilesAOLTopSpeed2.0aoltsmon.exe
    Probably not needed

    > McVsRte Registry (Machine
    > Service) C:PROGRA~1MCAFEE.COMVSOmcvsrte.exe /embedding
    Consult McAfee

    > MDM7 Registry (Machine Service) "C:PROGRAM FILESCOMMON
    > FILESMICROSOFT SHAREDVS7DEBUGMDM.EXE"
    Not needed. (How often do you debug defective software?)

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > STIMON is pretty unneccessary dont know why scanner software installs it
    the
    > twain source doesnt even use it and the scanner still works wothout it
    > Macafee, get rid of it

    Right, the OP can test for this. E.g. the scanner
    function of Epson multifunction units requires STIMON
    (loaded at boot). So the OP can:
    1. Unload STIMON via Ctl Alt Del.
    2. Test scanner function.
    3. If the scanner does not load, reboot to reload STIMON.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    My answer was to the OP

    the startup list shows a driver fix for HP scanners
    therefore the OP is using a HP scanner, your statement that epson needs
    stimon is useless to the OP
    HP scanners twain drivers run very well without stimon loaded

    --

    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
    > "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > STIMON is pretty unneccessary dont know why scanner software installs it
    > the
    > > twain source doesnt even use it and the scanner still works wothout it
    > > Macafee, get rid of it
    >
    > Right, the OP can test for this. E.g. the scanner
    > function of Epson multifunction units requires STIMON
    > (loaded at boot). So the OP can:
    > 1. Unload STIMON via Ctl Alt Del.
    > 2. Test scanner function.
    > 3. If the scanner does not load, reboot to reload STIMON.
    >
    > --
    > Don Phillipson
    > Carlsbad Springs
    > (Ottawa, Canada)

    On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:46:19 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
    <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote:

    >"Chuck" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    <..>

    >> ctfmon.exe Registry (Per-User Run) ctfmon.exe
    >Possibly needed by your printer

    It is the enhanced keyboard indicator:
    "OFFXP: What Is CTFMON and What Does It Do"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q282599

    I prefer not to install (i.e. to disable it) it when installing Office:
    in Win98 it causes sometimes the (minor) problems -- while in WinXP it
    is already the native WinXP utility, which replaced Internat.exe. But if
    it is installed, and is working flawless -- it is better not to touch
    it.

    <..>

    AIM entries, including:

    >> AIM Registry (Per-User Run) C:PROGRAM FILESAIMaim.exe -cnetwait.odl
    >Don't know

    I would concur with Gary S. Terhune -- *stopping* the use of both AOL
    and McAfee.

    But if AIM is actually using as the messenger -- that's the user's
    choice.

    <...>

    --
    Mikhail Zhilin
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

    Hi all,
    My scanner requires stimon.exe, so I just have a shortcut to it and when the scanner is needed double click and load it. It isn't needed in your start-up.
    --
    * * Pebble in Boulder * *
    who would never underestimate the humble floppy
    "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message news:uTh9NZFkFHA.572@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > STIMON is pretty unneccessary dont know why scanner software installs it
    > the
    > > twain source doesnt even use it and the scanner still works wothout it
    > > Macafee, get rid of it
    >
    > Right, the OP can test for this. E.g. the scanner
    > function of Epson multifunction units requires STIMON
    > (loaded at boot). So the OP can:
    > 1. Unload STIMON via Ctl Alt Del.
    > 2. Test scanner function.
    > 3. If the scanner does not load, reboot to reload STIMON.
    >
    > --
    > Don Phillipson
    > Carlsbad Springs
    > (Ottawa, Canada)

    "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote:

    >> ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:windowsscanregw.exe /autorun
    >Usually useful (and does not fill memory after running)
    >
    >> TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) c:windowstaskmon.exe
    >Not needed
    But it is useful, in that it accumulates usage information which is
    used by the optimizing features of Defrag to locate program code
    consecutively on the hard drive so as to optimize startup and program
    launches.

    >> SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    >Traditionally useful: some mavens say not needed.
    >
    >> LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe
    >Needed
    >
    >> powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    >Not needed

    Both of the Load Power Profile entries are equally important, and

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    To add to Ron M's post: In fact, it can cause some weird problems (I don't
    recall exactly what the problems were right off hand but you will find some
    if you search the newsgroups long enough) that can be difficult to
    troubleshoot unless you stumble on the fact that one of the power profiles
    has been disabled.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    > "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote:
    >

    >>> ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:windowsscanregw.exe /autorun
    >>Usually useful (and does not fill memory after running)
    >>
    >>> TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) c:windowstaskmon.exe
    >>Not needed
    > But it is useful, in that it accumulates usage information which is
    > used by the optimizing features of Defrag to locate program code
    > consecutively on the hard drive so as to optimize startup and program
    > launches.
    >

    >>> SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    >>Traditionally useful: some mavens say not needed.
    >>
    >>> LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe
    >>Needed
    >>
    >>> powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    >>Not needed
    >
    > Both of the Load Power Profile entries are equally important, and
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service