Corrupted / Missing vmm.vxd

I have a problem in Windows 98 (not SE). Mid way through bootup I get and
error that VMM.VXD, Shell.vxd, vtd.vxd, vxdldr.vxd, vpicd.vxd, and vwin32.vxd
are all from an different version. The PC then goes to the 'it is now safe
to turn off your computer'

I have checked the dates on these files and they all say 10-23-96 12:12,
which seems too early for win98.

I do not have the original win98 disks, but have a windows 98SE CD (full
version) from an old machine I upgraded to XP.

Can I get the correct version of the win98 files from anywhere?
If not, will a win98SE from DOS (I cannot get into windows) over-write all
by Outlook express settings and the like?

System:- PCChips M747 motherboard, slot1 celeron 333, 64Mb RAM.

Thanks in advance

Philo

"Teessider66" <Teessider66@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a problem in Windows 98 (not SE). Mid way through bootup I get and
> error that VMM.VXD, Shell.vxd, vtd.vxd, vxdldr.vxd, vpicd.vxd, and
> vwin32.vxd
> are all from an different version. The PC then goes to the 'it is now
> safe
> to turn off your computer'
>
> I have checked the dates on these files and they all say 10-23-96 12:12,
> which seems too early for win98.
>
> I do not have the original win98 disks, but have a windows 98SE CD (full
> version) from an old machine I upgraded to XP.
>
> Can I get the correct version of the win98 files from anywhere?
> If not, will a win98SE from DOS (I cannot get into windows) over-write all
> by Outlook express settings and the like?

you should be able to extract those files from your win98 cd...

Those appear to be W95 OSR2 files. Suggest you extract the files from your
SE CD and see if those help. If not, you might want to try doing an update
to SE if the full version CD you cite is a retail full version.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour