Thermaltake Armor Case - High Mobo Temps!!

regchamp

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
I have a thermaltake armor case and the motherboard temps on my Asus A8N SLI Premium Mobo were about 39 load in the winter, and are now 40-41 IDLE since the warmer weather has come around. I have no clue why they are so high. I have a 120mm on the bottom in the front, 80mm on the top of the case blowing out, and it is cooled by a thermaltake bigwater system, mounted on the inside, and blowing out (through the radiator). would this maybe be why they are so high? Since instead of just a 120mm on the back, I have a RADIATOR and 120mm on the back? All my wires are rounded and neatly placed out of the way as well. Any suggestions are welcome.

Baer

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
Is the radiator in a warm area? Does the case have good venting around it?
I have a Tt Xaser III and I know if my office gets warm in the summer my internal temps go up.
BTW, how do you like that case? I am considering it for my next build.

sp0ngebong

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
hmmm i have a thermaltake armor as well cept im running an asus p5ld2 deluxe mobo with a p4 640.... all i was usin was fans before and i was gettin 34 degrees celcius tops...

fan configuration: 120mm in front blowing in, 120mm in back blowing out, top 80mm fan blowing in and a back 80mm hdd fan blowing out. i seemed to have problems at all...

i changed out the fans to controllable and faster versions of the stock ones, upgraded my cpu cooler and put in a hdd cooler and now my mobo temp is about 29 celcius. whats the temp of your cpu? if your using a crappy stock cooling unit for your cpu, that can raise your mobo temps a bit

desilver

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
The ambient temp of the room and the case make a huge difference.
The cooling of the CPU is the cooling of the water, the cooling of the water is the amount of heat you can take away by blowing air through the radiator.
Hence there will be a point of balance between the air outside the case, the air inside the case, and the drop that can be experienced in water temp by the radiator. 8O

The real deal is to remove the heat from the case. Usually this means the radiator has to be on the outside, or the fan blows through the radiator to the outside.( not as good as radiator on the outside but the one you have?.) If most of the air through the radiator vents out of the system it should be ok.
I would recheck the setup. Note you have not mentioned the CPU.
Here IS A LINK. JUST LOOKING AT THE CONCLUSION the 100 watt for the "big water is 44, and 150 watt is 53".(celcius)

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/16watercooling.ht

Did you use Artic silver 5 --this will return you 2 deg cel approx.(worth it)
The ventilation of your system is weird
120mm in and 80mm out?
also 120mm out through the radiator then through a hole ? (if thats it then that is fine.
BUT you do not have enough air coming in! by 1x 80mm fan. :cry:
You are creating a vacuum (it seems) which will stop correct cooling of the radiator., or you simply do not have enough air going through.
Let me say , 120mm 9 bladed fans, 220cu feet / min. at 65 dba.

Delta 120mm Ultimate High Speed Fan TFB1212GHE
Keep them at low RPM for modest air flow but exceeding that of other fans.
I would artic silver your cpu, get another air input into the case, and if the 120 is not venting to the outside world through the radiator do that, failing that I would mount the radiator outside.(a bit drastic but that is what I am doing on a small antec lanboy.)

I also believe you have the wrong water set up, see the review.
i'm shoping for a setup, 1 highflow swiftech pump, 1,x120mm radiator,
1x high speed 120mm fan for radiator, 1/2 inch barbs, tubing, 1x high flow
reservoir, and I have yet to source the water block. The first reservoir and the second will be mounted at the back, exit fans blowing through.
Hope this helps :D