Win.ini & System.ini

Greetings,
Below is a first run result of CWShredder.
I checked the relevant files, and sure enough it is as below.
Question is, what is it trying to tell me?

...Rex..

Hosts file not present
Found Win.ini file: C:\WINDOWS\win.ini (7774 bytes, A)
Found line in Win.ini: load=
Found line in Win.ini: run=
Found System.ini file: C:\WINDOWS\system.ini (1968 bytes, A)
Found line in System.ini: shell=Explorer.exe

In addition to Alan's reply, from the output you report, it appears you are running
an old version of CWShredder, as I do not see that format in the version here
(v.2.15). Additionally, it appears from your report that you are using the Scan
Only button in the older version, rather than the Fix button. The Fix button is
what you need to use, and be sure the option to move deleted items to the Recycle
Bin is selected.

The latest version of CWShredder is available here, ready to download to its own
folder, and run:
http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.exe
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
> Below is a first run result of CWShredder.
> I checked the relevant files, and sure enough it is as below.
> Question is, what is it trying to tell me?
>
> ..Rex..
>
> Hosts file not present
> Found Win.ini file: C:\WINDOWS\win.ini (7774 bytes, A)
> Found line in Win.ini: load=
> Found line in Win.ini: run=
> Found System.ini file: C:\WINDOWS\system.ini (1968 bytes, A)
> Found line in System.ini: shell=Explorer.exe

the main thing you should read from this is GET A HOSTS FILE
see link below
the rest is as it should be

--

Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

"Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
> Below is a first run result of CWShredder.
> I checked the relevant files, and sure enough it is as below.
> Question is, what is it trying to tell me?
>
> ..Rex..
>
> Hosts file not present
> Found Win.ini file: C:\WINDOWS\win.ini (7774 bytes, A)
> Found line in Win.ini: load=
> Found line in Win.ini: run=
> Found System.ini file: C:\WINDOWS\system.ini (1968 bytes, A)
> Found line in System.ini: shell=Explorer.exe

????
It is trying to tell you exactly what it told you, as you have already
determined.
It is trying its best to reassure you that nothing is amiss.

....Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

"AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> the main thing you should read from this is GET A HOSTS FILE
> see link below
> the rest is as it should be
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before
> use

Cheers to all replies,,
The Host Files link was an eye opener, will take a couple of reads
to soak in.
Just one thing though, is there any reason that Shredder said it had
found no Hosts file. In my windows folder I have 'host.sam' of which has
the proverbial 127.0.0.1 followed by 'localhost' (of which is a small proxy
that it goes through on my computer).

...Rex..

Hosts. is the real kill file
Hosts.sam is a sample that shows the right format
If you install Spybot, it has the option to create a Hosts file that
contains the roots for all the spies that it detects. helps stops them even
getting on your system in the first place, stops them being able to phone
home, mostly, if they get there
google also for something like 'creating custom 404 error messages' since if
you have a hosts file set up some parts of pages dont load (on purpose) and
the 'unable to link to the page requested' messages in the corners of web
pages where the banners used to be are tedious after a while. A message like
"another damned spy removed" better.
A good hosts file blocks a lot of advertising images, so pages load faster
too

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:27:42 +0930, "Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> the main thing you should read from this is GET A HOSTS FILE
>> see link below
>> the rest is as it should be
>> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
>> links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before
>> use
>
>Cheers to all replies,,
>The Host Files link was an eye opener, will take a couple of reads
>to soak in.
>Just one thing though, is there any reason that Shredder said it had
>found no Hosts file. In my windows folder I have 'host.sam' of which has
>the proverbial 127.0.0.1 followed by 'localhost' (of which is a small proxy
>that it goes through on my computer).
>
>..Rex..

Host.sam is a SAMple, not a Hosts file.
Shredder said you had no Hosts file because you don't.
It is not there by default.

....Alan
--

> Hosts. is the real kill file
> Hosts.sam is a sample that shows the right format
> If you install Spybot, it has the option to create a Hosts file that
> contains the roots for all the spies that it detects. helps stops them
even
> getting on your system in the first place, stops them being able to phone
> home, mostly, if they get there
> google also for something like 'creating custom 404 error messages' since
if
> you have a hosts file set up some parts of pages dont load (on purpose)
and
> the 'unable to link to the page requested' messages in the corners of web
> pages where the banners used to be are tedious after a while. A message
like
> "another damned spy removed" better.
> A good hosts file blocks a lot of advertising images, so pages load faster
> too

Cheers again,
Now it is all starting to make more sense.
I have Spybot but never noticed anything to do with Hosts,
but I will delve a little.

...Rex..

Don't use Spybot's Hosts...it is deficient in many ways. Go here instead:

'Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File'
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.zip (67 kb)
--

> "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hosts. is the real kill file
> > Hosts.sam is a sample that shows the right format
> > If you install Spybot, it has the option to create a Hosts file that
> > contains the roots for all the spies that it detects. helps stops them
> even
> > getting on your system in the first place, stops them being able to phone
> > home, mostly, if they get there
> > google also for something like 'creating custom 404 error messages' since
> if
> > you have a hosts file set up some parts of pages dont load (on purpose)
> and
> > the 'unable to link to the page requested' messages in the corners of web
> > pages where the banners used to be are tedious after a while. A message
> like
> > "another damned spy removed" better.
> > A good hosts file blocks a lot of advertising images, so pages load faster
> > too
>

> Cheers again,
> Now it is all starting to make more sense.
> I have Spybot but never noticed anything to do with Hosts,
> but I will delve a little.
>
> ..Rex..

And here:

http://www.mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/Software.htm

At the bottom of the page is HOSTS Manager, which will regularly update
the HOSTS file from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User