Sound no longer works

ms

W98SE, 96 MB RAM, daily cold boot.
Computer was assembled in 1997, daily use since then with few problems. I
rarely use sound, so have sound card output connected to speakers and
unplug the speaker adapter normally. Periodically, I plug in the adapter
and play MIDI and MP3 files OK with various sound utilities.

Yesterday, I plugged in the adapter, saw the usual power button light up in
my Labtec speakers. I clicked on a new executable sound utility, opened and
clicked on a MIDI file, it played normally. Then I opened a MP3 file, I saw
the file opening in the util screen, but no sound. Then I went back to the
same MIDI file, it again plays, but now no sound. From then on with various
sound utils (I never use WMP directly), they all work, but no sound output
at all.

I looked through a previous helpful post by Brian A. Not an expert, but I
can note the following:
My P166 is very stable and reliable with W98SE, practically never have BSOD.
I am careful, can't recall anything done that would have effected sound.
Getting updated drivers are not IMO available, as the sound card is 1996
vintage, but it has always worked fine up to now.

Sound icon in System tray present, volume normal, screens look normal.
Several system utils show sound card is still installed.
Device Manager shows: ES 1868 Plug and Play Audio Drive
The screens show it operating normally, uses normal (?) resources
No yellow question marks
It appears to be normally enabled.
Under resources, no conflicts.
Unplugged the external Labtec speakers, my monitor has built-in speakers,
no change.

Maybe, of course, in the above, I missed something. There has been nothing
that happened on the hard drive to cause this, I seldom install anything,
have low resource use, normally trouble free.

Advice?

TIA

Mike

You didn't mention if your device shows as the preferred device in Control Panel

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3khsa6Fu264pU1@individual.net...
> W98SE, 96 MB RAM, daily cold boot.
> Computer was assembled in 1997, daily use since then with few problems. I
> rarely use sound, so have sound card output connected to speakers and unplug
> the speaker adapter normally. Periodically, I plug in the adapter and play
> MIDI and MP3 files OK with various sound utilities.
>
> Yesterday, I plugged in the adapter, saw the usual power button light up in my
> Labtec speakers. I clicked on a new executable sound utility, opened and
> clicked on a MIDI file, it played normally. Then I opened a MP3 file, I saw
> the file opening in the util screen, but no sound. Then I went back to the
> same MIDI file, it again plays, but now no sound. From then on with various
> sound utils (I never use WMP directly), they all work, but no sound output at
> all.
>
> I looked through a previous helpful post by Brian A. Not an expert, but I can
> note the following:
> My P166 is very stable and reliable with W98SE, practically never have BSOD.
> I am careful, can't recall anything done that would have effected sound.
> Getting updated drivers are not IMO available, as the sound card is 1996
> vintage, but it has always worked fine up to now.
>
> Sound icon in System tray present, volume normal, screens look normal.
> Several system utils show sound card is still installed.
> Device Manager shows: ES 1868 Plug and Play Audio Drive
> The screens show it operating normally, uses normal (?) resources
> No yellow question marks
> It appears to be normally enabled.
> Under resources, no conflicts.
> Unplugged the external Labtec speakers, my monitor has built-in speakers, no
> change.
>
> Maybe, of course, in the above, I missed something. There has been nothing
> that happened on the hard drive to cause this, I seldom install anything, have
> low resource use, normally trouble free.
>
> Advice?
>
> TIA
>
> Mike

ms

Brian A. wrote:
> You didn't mention if your device shows as the preferred device in
> Control Panel > Multimedia applet > Audio tab.

Yes, it shows ESSAudioDrive in both Playback and Recording, as default.

???

Mike

From what I read that you mention, you have 3 choices.

1) Pull the plug, open the box and make sure the card is properly seated in
it's slot.

2) Remove any/all sound devices in Safe Mode, reboot and reinstall.

3) Try a different sound card.

--

"ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3kidgmFu1720U1@individual.net...
> Brian A. wrote:
>> You didn't mention if your device shows as the preferred device in Control
>> Panel > Multimedia applet > Audio tab.
>>

> Yes, it shows ESSAudioDrive in both Playback and Recording, as default.
>
> ???
>
> Mike

ms

Brian A. wrote:
> From what I read that you mention, you have 3 choices.
>
> 1) Pull the plug, open the box and make sure the card is properly
> seated in it's slot.
>
> 2) Remove any/all sound devices in Safe Mode, reboot and reinstall.
>
> 3) Try a different sound card.

Thanks, I will report back with results.

Mike

To clarify #2.
This refers to removing the devices from Device Manager in Safe Mode.

"ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3kiff4FubgluU2@individual.net...
> Brian A. wrote:
>> From what I read that you mention, you have 3 choices.
>>
>> 1) Pull the plug, open the box and make sure the card is properly
>> seated in it's slot.
>>
>> 2) Remove any/all sound devices in Safe Mode, reboot and reinstall.
>>
>> 3) Try a different sound card.
>>
> Thanks, I will report back with results.
>
> Mike

ms

Brian A. wrote:
> To clarify #2.
> This refers to removing the devices from Device Manager in Safe Mode.
> 2) Remove any/all sound devices in Safe Mode, reboot and reinstall.

Thanks for the update. I have to hustle to try that and repost, this ng is
so active that a thread goes away fast.

Mike Sa