3DMark05 score keeps going down!! What have i done!!

rHy0

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
For awhile after getting my new 7800GTX 475mhz my 3DMark05 score always remained above 8300 but since yesterday its just kept going down! Now its down to 8221 and is probly gonna lower!! I did alot of system restores before that. Do you think that could have could have damaged my system?? What do you think?

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
REinstallation of Windows should be the last resort, try spybot and other virus spyware removers. Just try not to delete anything thats part of the system32 folder or any other OS files, If you accidently do, the you can reinstall wndows, but lets hope that, that doesn't happen to you :twisted:

ikaz

Distinguished
Well reinstall of the OS would be the "cleanest" however you may just want to run adware first then defrag your HD and see if you still get the low numbers. You may also want to run chkdsk /f on your drives just to be safe there are no errors that could be causing the slow down.

PX7800GT

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Download & Install Ad-Aware SE Professional & Then Use The Full Search , Next Download & Install PerfectDisk 7.0 & Use It ... If It Doesn`t Help You Then Format & Install A New Windows XP SP2 or x64 ...

Jak_Sparra

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
hi,

i know its a bit off topic, but i only get 7545 in my 3dmark2005 score, and my rig is similar to yours, infact i thought it would be a bit faster! What am i doing wrong.

Athlon 4400+ x2
Asus Geforce EN7800gtx
2gig of memory (3-3-3-8 or something)
gigabyte GA-k8n-sli mother board
raptor 74gig hard drive

all i have running in the background is zone alarm suite, an icon in the task bar for my logitech cam, and du meter?!?!! (i ran zone alram and it found 7 bits of spyware that it killed for me before i ran 3dmark)
any ideas?

******EDIT********
i switched of du meter and zone alarm and i got only a 5point increase;- 7500 score instead of 7454 IT STILL SUCKS!

rHy0

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Yeah that is very low, especially seein as it should be better than mine. We could be gettin the same sort of problem, i actually managed to get my score back close to my previous 8307. I got 8295 so i guess my prob is solved. All i did was reinstall my nvidia driver, except this time i installed the UK (international) one. I assume youve already tried that but if you havnt give it a go.

Jak_Sparra

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Yeah that is very low, especially seein as it should be better than mine. We could be gettin the same sort of problem, i actually managed to get my score back close to my previous 8307. I got 8295 so i guess my prob is solved. All i did was reinstall my nvidia driver, except this time i installed the UK (international) one. I assume youve already tried that but if you havnt give it a go.

Thankyou for your advise, but i also just noticed my card only runs at 430Mhz, not 475 like yours! was yours like that out of the box, or did you overclock? I might overclock mine, but i;m scared incase i fry it to death.

**EDIT**
Whats the best piece of software to overclock with? Coolbits?

Jak_Sparra

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
OK EVERYONE!
i just got coolbits 2, and chose the 'detect optimal frequencies' and it came up with 490Mhz/1.31Ghz...
how do i know if this is safe?!?!??!? ?!??!?

***EDIT****
OMG! I just ran 3dmark05 again and got a score of 8321! and then checked the temperature of the gpu after and it was 48C. is that hot?

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
OK EVERYONE!
i just got coolbits 2, and chose the 'detect optimal frequencies' and it came up with 490Mhz/1.31Ghz...
how do i know if this is safe?!?!??!? ?!??!?

download ATI Tool, and have it do an artifact scan. ATI Tool won't let you overclock your card, but you can scan for artifacts.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
It's nearly impossible to fry your GPU with overclocking without increasing the voltage, but the video RAM can not take heat nearly as well. I suggest running some graphically intense games and look for artifacts.

Jak_Sparra

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
just got ATI tool and running it now, is it supposed to look like a fluffy square, but when you choose to 'scan for artifacts it just keeps still and a timer appears?,

also how long should i run it for?..

Thankyou for all your advise so far, its been really helpfull! and i feel goos about spending so much on my graphics card now!

rHy0

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Well for most modern cards 69-70C at full load is just about normal i think. I get 69C max at full load playing a game and 50C max running 3dmark. Never goes above 70.

rHy0

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Okay its seems my system has suddenly gone back to normal for some strange reason. 3DMark score back too! Just one thing though, in my frustration last night i tried reinstalling windows but my F8 key wouldnt work so i couldnt continue and just cancelled the setup. Now when i start up my system i keep getting a small menu that interupts post :? It gives me 2 options, start windows normally and enter windows setup?? Its kinda anoying cause theres a timer on the second option (like 3secs) so now whenever i restart my computer i have to wait around and get ready to quickly select start windows or it will go into windows installation :? This is wierd cause the windows CD is not in the machine! Have any idea how to get rid of this?

Jak_Sparra

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
hi,

my f keys dont work unless i press the 'f lock' key on the top right of my keyboard, have you tried that?
cant really think of anything else unless you try another keyboard and try the f8 key then

Scarchunk

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
My roommate had a similiar problem by cancelling out of a reinstall. We found that it was caused by an extra line of instruction in his boot.ini file. We went into the start up and recovery options menu and deleted the command for the prompt from the boot.ini file in wordpad. All is back to normal. If you mess up your boot.ini file you can't boot and you'll have to use the recovery console to re-write your boot.ini.

rHy0

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Ah right i got it up (Syst. Config). There are a couple of things mentioning BOOTSECT and windows xp setup, are they the ones to delete?

Scarchunk

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
The easiest way to edit your boot.ini file is to go to the start up and recovery options under the advanced tab in sytem properties. There is a button there to manually edit you start up options. When you click it notepad will open with your boot.ini file in it. It should look somehting like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

It was so long ago that I can't remember what the extra line of commands was but I think it was something like, "select operating system" or "boot menu" something like that. Anyhow once you delete it, you'll have to save the modified boot.ini file in notepad. You can verify it saved by using msconfig and checking under boot.ini tab. While you're there you can also manually set your timeout to 0 as long as you don't dual boot. Sorry I can't be more specific. You could paste a copy of your boot.ini file and I'll take a look at it if that might help.

rHy0

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Okay here it is;
[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=C:$WIN_NT$.~BTBOOTSECT.DAT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:$WIN_NT$.~BTBOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"

Any advice on what too delete?