Explorer caused Invalid Page fault in module Explorer.exe ..

Well, my friends wife has been using her pc for some time, trouble free, she
was using her pc last night to simply check emails... or so she tells me...

This morning the pc started to boot, but this time it was different... it
asked for a User name/Business name...

After that, it then even asked for the product key.... which I certainly
never expected...

upon rebooting, it reaches the stage where an error message appears stating
that "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module Explorer.exe at 0167.
00401F31"

As well as some data regarding Registers...

EAX: 00000000 cs: 0167 EIP: 00401F31
EFLGS: 000110246
EBX: 00000001 ss: 0167 esp: 0080FEF4
EBP: 0080FEF4
ECX: C8F97870 ds: 016F
ES: 00000000
FS: 1A37

From that point there, the boot process becomes totally dormant....

Is there any logical way to repair this fault by accessing the system via a
boot disk, or is it more complex than that....

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciatted....

tia...
6 answers Last reply
More about explorer caused invalid page fault module explorer

    See this article:

    Error Message: Explorer Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Module Browseui.dll
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293174

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "Charles..." <No_Spam@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Well, my friends wife has been using her pc for some time, trouble free,
    > she was using her pc last night to simply check emails... or so she tells
    > me...
    >
    > This morning the pc started to boot, but this time it was different... it
    > asked for a User name/Business name...
    >
    > After that, it then even asked for the product key.... which I certainly
    > never expected...
    >
    > upon rebooting, it reaches the stage where an error message appears
    > stating that "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module Explorer.exe
    > at 0167. 00401F31"
    >
    > As well as some data regarding Registers...
    >
    > EAX: 00000000 cs: 0167 EIP: 00401F31
    > EFLGS: 000110246
    > EBX: 00000001 ss: 0167 esp: 0080FEF4
    > EBP: 0080FEF4
    > ECX: C8F97870 ds: 016F
    > ES: 00000000
    > FS: 1A37
    >
    > From that point there, the boot process becomes totally dormant....
    >
    > Is there any logical way to repair this fault by accessing the system via
    > a boot disk, or is it more complex than that....
    >
    > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciatted....
    >
    > tia...

    Here are a couple of potentials:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;191609

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;296211

    --
    Jon Hildrum
    DTS MVP
    "Charles..." <No_Spam@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Well, my friends wife has been using her pc for some time, trouble free,
    > she was using her pc last night to simply check emails... or so she tells
    > me...
    >
    > This morning the pc started to boot, but this time it was different... it
    > asked for a User name/Business name...
    >
    > After that, it then even asked for the product key.... which I certainly
    > never expected...
    >
    > upon rebooting, it reaches the stage where an error message appears
    > stating that "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module Explorer.exe
    > at 0167. 00401F31"
    >
    > As well as some data regarding Registers...
    >
    > EAX: 00000000 cs: 0167 EIP: 00401F31
    > EFLGS: 000110246
    > EBX: 00000001 ss: 0167 esp: 0080FEF4
    > EBP: 0080FEF4
    > ECX: C8F97870 ds: 016F
    > ES: 00000000
    > FS: 1A37
    >
    > From that point there, the boot process becomes totally dormant....
    >
    > Is there any logical way to repair this fault by accessing the system via
    > a boot disk, or is it more complex than that....
    >
    > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciatted....
    >
    > tia...

    Nice one... I shall visit her tomorrow & check the pc out... I have printed
    the possibilities out ready....

    Now to keep my fingers crossed... :D

    "Jon_Hildrum" <Jon_Hildrum@amsn.com> wrote in message
    > Here are a couple of potentials:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;191609
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;296211
    >
    > --
    > Jon Hildrum
    > DTS MVP
    > Jon_Hildrum@msn.com
    > www.hildrum.com
    > "Charles..." <No_Spam@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Well, my friends wife has been using her pc for some time, trouble free,
    >> she was using her pc last night to simply check emails... or so she tells
    >> me...
    >>
    >> This morning the pc started to boot, but this time it was different... it
    >> asked for a User name/Business name...
    >>
    >> After that, it then even asked for the product key.... which I certainly
    >> never expected...
    >>
    >> upon rebooting, it reaches the stage where an error message appears
    >> stating that "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module
    >> Explorer.exe at 0167. 00401F31"
    >>
    >> As well as some data regarding Registers...
    >>
    >> EAX: 00000000 cs: 0167 EIP: 00401F31
    >> EFLGS: 000110246
    >> EBX: 00000001 ss: 0167 esp: 0080FEF4
    >> EBP: 0080FEF4
    >> ECX: C8F97870 ds: 016F
    >> ES: 00000000
    >> FS: 1A37
    >>
    >> From that point there, the boot process becomes totally dormant....
    >>
    >> Is there any logical way to repair this fault by accessing the system via
    >> a boot disk, or is it more complex than that....
    >>
    >> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciatted....
    >>
    >> tia...

    Your suggestion is really handy as I have tried the method here
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;296211

    & now the problem has changed from the 'Fault in Module Explorer.exe' to the
    one you mentioned 'Explorer Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Module
    Browseui.dll'

    I shall visit my friends today & give it another go...

    will let you know results...

    Cheers...

    "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
    > See this article:
    >
    > Error Message: Explorer Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Module
    > Browseui.dll
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293174
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    >

    > Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    > Knowledge Base Info:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
    >

    > "Charles..." <No_Spam@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Well, my friends wife has been using her pc for some time, trouble free,
    >> she was using her pc last night to simply check emails... or so she tells
    >> me...
    >>
    >> This morning the pc started to boot, but this time it was different... it
    >> asked for a User name/Business name...
    >>
    >> After that, it then even asked for the product key.... which I certainly
    >> never expected...
    >>
    >> upon rebooting, it reaches the stage where an error message appears
    >> stating that "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module
    >> Explorer.exe at 0167. 00401F31"
    >>
    >> As well as some data regarding Registers...
    >>
    >> EAX: 00000000 cs: 0167 EIP: 00401F31
    >> EFLGS: 000110246
    >> EBX: 00000001 ss: 0167 esp: 0080FEF4
    >> EBP: 0080FEF4
    >> ECX: C8F97870 ds: 016F
    >> ES: 00000000
    >> FS: 1A37
    >>
    >> From that point there, the boot process becomes totally dormant....
    >>
    >> Is there any logical way to repair this fault by accessing the system via
    >> a boot disk, or is it more complex than that....
    >>
    >> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciatted....
    >>
    >> tia...

    nice remedy... it worked like a charm.... :D

    > Your suggestion is really handy as I have tried the method here
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;296211
    >
    > & now the problem has changed from the 'Fault in Module Explorer.exe' to
    > the one you mentioned 'Explorer Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Module
    > Browseui.dll'
    >
    > I shall visit my friends today & give it another go...
    >
    > will let you know results...
    >
    > Cheers...
    >
    > "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
    >> See this article:
    >>
    >> Error Message: Explorer Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Module
    >> Browseui.dll
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293174
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards
    >>

    >> Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    >> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    >> Knowledge Base Info:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
    >>

    >> "Charles..." <No_Spam@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>> Well, my friends wife has been using her pc for some time, trouble free,
    >>> she was using her pc last night to simply check emails... or so she
    >>> tells me...
    >>>
    >>> This morning the pc started to boot, but this time it was different...
    >>> it asked for a User name/Business name...
    >>>
    >>> After that, it then even asked for the product key.... which I certainly
    >>> never expected...
    >>>
    >>> upon rebooting, it reaches the stage where an error message appears
    >>> stating that "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module
    >>> Explorer.exe at 0167. 00401F31"
    >>>
    >>> As well as some data regarding Registers...
    >>>
    >>> EAX: 00000000 cs: 0167 EIP: 00401F31
    >>> EFLGS: 000110246
    >>> EBX: 00000001 ss: 0167 esp: 0080FEF4
    >>> EBP: 0080FEF4
    >>> ECX: C8F97870 ds: 016F
    >>> ES: 00000000
    >>> FS: 1A37
    >>>
    >>> From that point there, the boot process becomes totally dormant....
    >>>
    >>> Is there any logical way to repair this fault by accessing the system
    >>> via a boot disk, or is it more complex than that....
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciatted....
    >>>
    >>> tia...

    Great, thanks for the feedback

    --

    > nice remedy... it worked like a charm.... :D
    >

    > "Charles..." <No_Spam@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Your suggestion is really handy as I have tried the method here
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;296211
    >>
    >> & now the problem has changed from the 'Fault in Module Explorer.exe' to
    >> the one you mentioned 'Explorer Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Module
    >> Browseui.dll'
    >>
    >> I shall visit my friends today & give it another go...
    >>
    >> will let you know results...
    >>
    >> Cheers...
    >>
    >> "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
    >>> See this article:
    >>>
    >>> Error Message: Explorer Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Module
    >>> Browseui.dll
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293174
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Regards