During bootup

During bootup, the wrong autoexec file is read. Why?
19 answers Last reply
More about during bootup

    The only autoexec file that should run is Autoexec.bat. What makes you
    think that some other autoexec. is running?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > During bootup, the wrong autoexec file is read. Why?

    I don't believe the autoexec.bat file is read during a safe mode boot.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > During bootup, the wrong autoexec file is read. Why?

    "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > During bootup, the wrong autoexec file is read. Why?

    1. During bootup, the system reads the first AUTOEXEC
    file encountered in the filepath. This is usually
    c:\windows\autoexec.bat

    2. Standard Win98 requires no AUTOEXEC file.
    Try booting without it and without CONFIG.SYS
    (rename both) and see if that solves your problem.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    During a _normal_ boot, I accidentally discovered that a different autoexec
    file( a backup autoexec I think) was being read.
    "Don Phillipson" wrote:

    > "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > During bootup, the wrong autoexec file is read. Why?
    >
    > 1. During bootup, the system reads the first AUTOEXEC
    > file encountered in the filepath. This is usually
    > c:\windows\autoexec.bat
    >
    > 2. Standard Win98 requires no AUTOEXEC file.
    > Try booting without it and without CONFIG.SYS
    > (rename both) and see if that solves your problem.
    >
    > --
    > Don Phillipson
    > Carlsbad Springs
    > (Ottawa, Canada)

    More detail on how you discovered this would be helpful, what you saw,
    etc.

    A list of all "autoexec" files on your machine would also help.

    --

    > During a _normal_ boot, I accidentally discovered that a different
    > autoexec
    > file( a backup autoexec I think) was being read.
    > "Don Phillipson" wrote:
    >
    >> "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> > During bootup, the wrong autoexec file is read. Why?
    >>
    >> 1. During bootup, the system reads the first AUTOEXEC
    >> file encountered in the filepath. This is usually
    >> c:\windows\autoexec.bat
    >>
    >> 2. Standard Win98 requires no AUTOEXEC file.
    >> Try booting without it and without CONFIG.SYS
    >> (rename both) and see if that solves your problem.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Don Phillipson
    >> Carlsbad Springs
    >> (Ottawa, Canada)

    You need to supply a lot more detailed information regarding exactly what "autoexec"
    files you have and which is being read. Additionally, all files have a file
    extension...text files use .txt, Word documents use .doc, and so forth. A batch
    file uses the .bat extension. Click Start> Settings> Folder Options> View tab, set
    the Hidden Files setting to "Show All Files", and uncheck the box for "Hide file
    extensions for known files types", then click OK. This will allow you to see, and
    report back, with what file extensions these "autoexec" files have.
    See here:
    http://home.mindspring.com/~glee29/images/f-opt98.jpg
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > During a _normal_ boot, I accidentally discovered that a different autoexec
    > file( a backup autoexec I think) was being read.
    > "Don Phillipson" wrote:
    >
    > > "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > During bootup, the wrong autoexec file is read. Why?
    > >
    > > 1. During bootup, the system reads the first AUTOEXEC
    > > file encountered in the filepath. This is usually
    > > c:\windows\autoexec.bat
    > >
    > > 2. Standard Win98 requires no AUTOEXEC file.
    > > Try booting without it and without CONFIG.SYS
    > > (rename both) and see if that solves your problem.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Don Phillipson
    > > Carlsbad Springs
    > > (Ottawa, Canada)

    "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A184CDE-66FD-40AB-A41F-1A87C44D23F0@microsoft.com...
    > During bootup, the wrong autoexec file is read. Why?

    Please repost with more information, including why you think a
    different file is being processed.

    Ben

    During bootup, the autoexec.tsh file is read, not the Autoexec.bat.
    ______________________________________
    "Ben Myers" wrote:

    > "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A184CDE-66FD-40AB-A41F-1A87C44D23F0@microsoft.com...
    > > During bootup, the wrong autoexec file is read. Why?
    >
    > Please repost with more information, including why you think a
    > different file is being processed.
    >
    > Ben

    Autoexec.bat is renamed to Autoexec.tsh by Windows when you uncheck
    Autoexec.bat in "START, Run, MSConfig, General tab". In that case, there
    is no Autoexec.bat to run at boot-- & neither will Autoexec.tsh be run.
    That was the purpose of renaming it.

    When it is checked again, the .tsh will become a .bat again after a
    reboot. I think, though, every individual line inside Autoexec.bat that
    may have been unchecked in Autoexec.bat will be checked now. So, watch
    that!

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    | During bootup, the autoexec.tsh file is read, not the Autoexec.bat.
    | ______________________________________
    | "Ben Myers" wrote:
    |
    | > "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > > During bootup, the wrong autoexec file is read. Why?
    | >
    | > Please repost with more information, including why you think a
    | > different file is being processed.
    | >
    | > Ben

    Correction: When you uncheck Autoexec.bat in MSCONFIG, Autoexec.bat is
    renamed to Autoexec.tsh, but a *new* Autoexec.bat is created containing
    nothing but comments that explain about Autoexec.tsh being the backup. There
    *is* an Autoexec.bat, but it's toothless.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > Autoexec.bat is renamed to Autoexec.tsh by Windows when you uncheck
    > Autoexec.bat in "START, Run, MSConfig, General tab". In that case, there
    > is no Autoexec.bat to run at boot-- & neither will Autoexec.tsh be run.
    > That was the purpose of renaming it.
    >
    > When it is checked again, the .tsh will become a .bat again after a
    > reboot. I think, though, every individual line inside Autoexec.bat that
    > may have been unchecked in Autoexec.bat will be checked now. So, watch
    > that!
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | During bootup, the autoexec.tsh file is read, not the Autoexec.bat.
    > | ______________________________________
    > | "Ben Myers" wrote:
    > |
    > | > "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | >
    > | > Please repost with more information, including why you think a
    > | > different file is being processed.
    > | >
    > | > Ben

    Autoexec.tsh is a backup file created by msconfig when the
    autoexec.bat file is disabled. If you use msconfig to modify
    autoexec.bat, I suggest you leave this file in place. If not,
    it can be renamed or deleted.

    Ben

    "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FADB56EF-EE38-4C48-B338-93D375E3F3F6@microsoft.com...
    > During bootup, the autoexec.tsh file is read, not the Autoexec.bat.
    > ______________________________________
    > "Ben Myers" wrote:
    >
    > > "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A184CDE-66FD-40AB-A41F-1A87C44D23F0@microsoft.com...
    > > > During bootup, the wrong autoexec file is read. Why?
    > >
    > > Please repost with more information, including why you think a
    > > different file is being processed.
    > >
    > > Ben

    Thanks. Yes, perhaps I did see that once for one of the files. Yes, it's
    a reminder of what one has done. I will remember this on the day I make
    a Master Post about it! Thanks.

    --
    | Correction: When you uncheck Autoexec.bat in MSCONFIG, Autoexec.bat is
    | renamed to Autoexec.tsh, but a *new* Autoexec.bat is created
    containing
    | nothing but comments that explain about Autoexec.tsh being the backup.
    There
    | *is* an Autoexec.bat, but it's toothless.
    |
    | --
    | Gary S. Terhune
    | MS-MVP Shell/User

    | > Autoexec.bat is renamed to Autoexec.tsh by Windows when you uncheck
    | > Autoexec.bat in "START, Run, MSConfig, General tab". In that case,
    there
    | > is no Autoexec.bat to run at boot-- & neither will Autoexec.tsh be
    run.
    | > That was the purpose of renaming it.
    | >
    | > When it is checked again, the .tsh will become a .bat again after a
    | > reboot. I think, though, every individual line inside Autoexec.bat
    that
    | > may have been unchecked in Autoexec.bat will be checked now. So,
    watch
    | > that!
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > | During bootup, the autoexec.tsh file is read, not the
    Autoexec.bat.
    | > | ______________________________________
    | > | "Ben Myers" wrote:
    | > |
> [...]

    Oh....joy...

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > Thanks. Yes, perhaps I did see that once for one of the files. Yes, it's
    > a reminder of what one has done. I will remember this on the day I make
    > a Master Post about it! Thanks.
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > | Correction: When you uncheck Autoexec.bat in MSCONFIG, Autoexec.bat is
    > | renamed to Autoexec.tsh, but a *new* Autoexec.bat is created
    > containing
    > | nothing but comments that explain about Autoexec.tsh being the backup.
    > There
    > | *is* an Autoexec.bat, but it's toothless.
    > |
    > | --
    > | Gary S. Terhune
    > | MS-MVP Shell/User
    > |
    > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    > | > Autoexec.bat is renamed to Autoexec.tsh by Windows when you uncheck
    > | > Autoexec.bat in "START, Run, MSConfig, General tab". In that case,
    > there
    > | > is no Autoexec.bat to run at boot-- & neither will Autoexec.tsh be
    > run.
    > | > That was the purpose of renaming it.
    > | >
    > | > When it is checked again, the .tsh will become a .bat again after a
    > | > reboot. I think, though, every individual line inside Autoexec.bat
    > that
    > | > may have been unchecked in Autoexec.bat will be checked now. So,
    > watch
    > | > that!
    > | >

    > | > --
    > | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > | > should things get worse after this,
    > | > PCR
    > | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > | > "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Autoexec.bat.
    > | > |

    Anyhow, it may not be safe to remain in this thread! b11_ seems to have
    huge problems, judging from other threads he's begun! OK, bye!

    --
    | Oh....joy...
    |
    | --
    | Gary S. Terhune
    | MS-MVP Shell/User

    | > Thanks. Yes, perhaps I did see that once for one of the files. Yes,
    it's
    | > a reminder of what one has done. I will remember this on the day I
    make
    | > a Master Post about it! Thanks.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | > | Correction: When you uncheck Autoexec.bat in MSCONFIG,
    Autoexec.bat is
    | > | renamed to Autoexec.tsh, but a *new* Autoexec.bat is created
    | > containing
    | > | nothing but comments that explain about Autoexec.tsh being the
    backup.
    | > There
    | > | *is* an Autoexec.bat, but it's toothless.
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > | Gary S. Terhune
    | > | MS-MVP Shell/User
    | > |
    | > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    | > there
    | > run.

    Autoexec.bat
    | > that
    | > watch

    | > Autoexec.bat.
    | > | > |
> [...]
    | > |
    | > |

    Yeah, I gave up on trying to figure that one out. I can't get a true picture
    of what's going on.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    > Anyhow, it may not be safe to remain in this thread! b11_ seems to have
    > huge problems, judging from other threads he's begun! OK, bye!

    I think he's trying to multiboot with BIOS settings, but I know little
    of it. He's sees the right partition try to boot but ends up in the
    wrong one. Better clear out of this thread & all of the others! Run!

    --
    | Yeah, I gave up on trying to figure that one out. I can't get a true
    picture
    | of what's going on.
    |
    | --
    | Gary S. Terhune
    | MS-MVP Shell/User

    | > Anyhow, it may not be safe to remain in this thread! b11_ seems to
    have
    | > huge problems, judging from other threads he's begun! OK, bye!
    | >

    | > --

    I said that the correct drive(physical drive 3) runs then physical drive 1
    runs.

    What would cause the drive I selected to boot(physical drive 3) to run then
    physical drive 1 to run which results in a messed-up bootup?

    "PCR" wrote:

    > I think he's trying to multiboot with BIOS settings, but I know little
    > of it. He's sees the right partition try to boot but ends up in the
    > wrong one. Better clear out of this thread & all of the others! Run!
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > | Yeah, I gave up on trying to figure that one out. I can't get a true
    > picture
    > | of what's going on.
    > |
    > | --
    > | Gary S. Terhune
    > | MS-MVP Shell/User
    > |
    > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    > | > Anyhow, it may not be safe to remain in this thread! b11_ seems to
    > have
    > | > huge problems, judging from other threads he's begun! OK, bye!
    > | >

    > | > --

    Physical drive 3 may not be bootable. I suggest you remove it and replace
    it with a known good bootable drive and see if the computer boots from it.

    Ben

    "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6325E6E9-27DF-41D1-924E-E83DBC0BB706@microsoft.com...
    > I said that the correct drive(physical drive 3) runs then physical drive 1
    > runs.
    >
    > What would cause the drive I selected to boot(physical drive 3) to run then
    > physical drive 1 to run which results in a messed-up bootup?
    >
    > "PCR" wrote:
    >
    > > I think he's trying to multiboot with BIOS settings, but I know little
    > > of it. He's sees the right partition try to boot but ends up in the
    > > wrong one. Better clear out of this thread & all of the others! Run!
    > >

    > > --
    > > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > > should things get worse after this,
    > > PCR
    > > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > | Yeah, I gave up on trying to figure that one out. I can't get a true
    > > picture
    > > | of what's going on.
    > > |
    > > | --
    > > | Gary S. Terhune
    > > | MS-MVP Shell/User
    > > |
    > > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    > > have

    It could be certain important system files are kept on drive 1 & must
    run although you boot drive 3, but I'm sorry I really have no experience
    with multi-booting. Good luck with it, b11_.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | I said that the correct drive(physical drive 3) runs then physical
    drive 1
    | runs.
    |
    | What would cause the drive I selected to boot(physical drive 3) to run
    then
    | physical drive 1 to run which results in a messed-up bootup?
    | _____________________________________________________
    |
    | "PCR" wrote:
    |
    | > I think he's trying to multiboot with BIOS settings, but I know
    little
    | > of it. He's sees the right partition try to boot but ends up in the
    | > wrong one. Better clear out of this thread & all of the others! Run!
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | > | Yeah, I gave up on trying to figure that one out. I can't get a
    true
    | > picture
    | > | of what's going on.
    | > |