two questions

I'm still fighting that ceres variant of VX2 in the ME... I've been
told to do a couple of things I don't know how to do or am confused
about.

1. I was given a list to cut & paste into DOS to delete certain
files. I got into DOS, but I don't know how to take the list from my
floppy and paste it into DOS. Help please?

2. I was told to rename my Hosts file to old. I found one extension
that looked like it should be renamed old... but what is a .sam
extension? There are so many files when I search for hosts, I'm not
sure what I should name "old".

3. I can't seem to get back to the regular Windows screen even on
reboot. A black screen appears after the Dell splash screen, then a
message saying "returning to windows". After that, an empty task bar
apprear at the bottom and an empty IE window. Everything is black
except for the gray task bar and gray IE window with black main
window. Weird. Is the computer a goner now?
11 answers Last reply
More about questions

    "sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > I'm still fighting that ceres variant of VX2 in the ME... I've been
    > told to do a couple of things I don't know how to do or am confused
    > about.
    >
    > 1. I was given a list to cut & paste into DOS to delete certain
    > files. I got into DOS, but I don't know how to take the list from my
    > floppy and paste it into DOS. Help please?

    Please open the "list" in Notepad and copy the contents into a Reply
    here.

    > 2. I was told to rename my Hosts file to old. I found one extension
    > that looked like it should be renamed old... but what is a .sam
    > extension? There are so many files when I search for hosts, I'm not
    > sure what I should name "old".

    There are two main HOSTS files. LMHOSTS and HOSTS. Neither has an
    extension. Neither is present in Windows 9x unless you create one. The
    HOSTS.SAM file is a template/instruction document. Those with any other
    extension are likely backups of one sort or another.

    > 3. I can't seem to get back to the regular Windows screen even on
    > reboot. A black screen appears after the Dell splash screen, then a
    > message saying "returning to windows". After that, an empty task bar
    > apprear at the bottom and an empty IE window. Everything is black
    > except for the gray task bar and gray IE window with black main
    > window. Weird. Is the computer a goner now?

    Can't tell. It may be a simple fix. Problem is finding it. Seeing as
    you're in the middle of malware removal procedures, there's even more
    wildcards to consider. I suspect that your IE needs repairing. If you
    can't get into Windows at all, neither Normal nor Safe Modes, then the
    following instructions, shamelessly ripped off from Glen Ventura, might
    help.

    Follow the procedures here:
    Blank Desktop or Illegal Operations Error Message After You Install
    Internet
    Explorer:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=kb;en-us;249191

    If those procedures do not help, have a look here:
    Recovering From a Failed Internet Explorer Upgrade in Windows 98:
    http://www.cs.bsu.edu/~gjjones/administrivia/stories/2003/03/21/recoveringFromAFailedInternetExplorerUpgradeInWindows98.html
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/r5ba

    Especially this section at the end:

    "If you still have boot problems after you reboot, you should use the
    command prompt
    to edit the c:\windows\system.ini file. On the command line type edit
    c:\windows\system.ini.

    "Once it is open, change the line shell=explorer.exe to
    shell=progman.exe. What you
    are doing here is changing the default shell (that is having problems)
    from the
    Windows Explorer to the old Windows Program Manager shell.

    "Reboot Windows. It should now successfully boot with no errors into an
    empty
    Program Manager shell. Use the File | Run | Browse drop down menu
    selection to
    browse to c:\program files\internet explorer and launch ie5setup.exe or
    ie6setup.exe
    (depending on what is there). Do a custom install and check all the Bold
    faced
    options. When the setup program alerts you that these files are already
    installed,
    tell it to reinstall all of the files.

    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    This is a 98 newsgroup--the ME experts hang out in the ME newsgroups.
    Having not used ME in years, I do not recall how to do a system restore. If
    you know, try it if you can. If you don't know, post to a ME newsgroup.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:25:56 -0700, Gary S. Terhune wrote:

    > "sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I'm still fighting that ceres variant of VX2 in the ME... I've been
    > > told to do a couple of things I don't know how to do or am confused
    > > about.
    > >
    > > 1. I was given a list to cut & paste into DOS to delete certain
    > > files. I got into DOS, but I don't know how to take the list from my
    > > floppy and paste it into DOS. Help please?
    >
    > Please open the "list" in Notepad and copy the contents into a Reply
    > here.

    Here it is:
    If you want to make additional effort prior to another post, here is
    what I would suggest.

    1) Reset the restore points.

    <I don't think I did that>

    2) Check for a hosts file, rename if present.

    <Way too many entries for me to know what to change>

    3) Make the ME startup diskette.

    <done>

    4) Copy the lines between the ======== lines below into notepad and
    save the file as fix.bat on the startup diskette.

    <I found fixit.bat, not fix.bat>

    (Do not include the ==== lines and be sure there is not a blank line
    at the beginning of the file or between any of the lines.)
    (to save you some typing I have created a sequence of lines changing
    the attributes and deleting each of the files that killbox did not
    find in the previous post plus the three new files that showed in the
    new hjt log.

    <this is a problem for me, there is an assumption that I know how to
    work in DOS - but I don't>

    There may be additional files on the system that a new find qoologic
    or panda log would show that are not included in this list.)
    attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\CERES.DLL
    attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\COYCNYO.DLL
    attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\NDNuninstall4_34.exe
    attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\UNLUHL.EXE
    attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\VQGVI.DLL
    attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\Startm~1\programs\startup\CPUC.EXE
    attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\e6f1873b.dll
    attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LKSSPGMM.EXE
    attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\System\REDIT.CPL
    attrib -s -h -r C:\PROGRA~1\OCRA\NESL.EXE
    attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZENAP.EXE
    attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ACCTWH32.EXE
    del C:\WINDOWS\CERES.DLL
    del C:\WINDOWS\COYCNYO.DLL
    del C:\WINDOWS\NDNuninstall4_34.exe
    del C:\WINDOWS\UNLUHL.EXE
    del C:\WINDOWS\VQGVI.DLL
    del C:\WINDOWS\Startm~1\programs\startup\CPUC.EXE
    del C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\e6f1873b.dll
    del C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LKSSPGMM.EXE
    del C:\WINDOWS\System\REDIT.CPL
    del C:\PROGRA~1\OCRA\NESL.EXE
    del C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZENAP.EXE
    del C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ACCTWH32.EXE

    > > 2. I was told to rename my Hosts file to old. I found one extension
    > > that looked like it should be renamed old... but what is a .sam
    > > extension? There are so many files when I search for hosts, I'm not
    > > sure what I should name "old".
    >
    > There are two main HOSTS files. LMHOSTS and HOSTS. Neither has an
    > extension. Neither is present in Windows 9x unless you create one. The
    > HOSTS.SAM file is a template/instruction document. Those with any other
    > extension are likely backups of one sort or another.

    Thanks.

    > > 3. I can't seem to get back to the regular Windows screen even on
    > > reboot. A black screen appears after the Dell splash screen, then a
    > > message saying "returning to windows". After that, an empty task bar
    > > apprear at the bottom and an empty IE window. Everything is black
    > > except for the gray task bar and gray IE window with black main
    > > window. Weird. Is the computer a goner now?
    >
    > Can't tell. It may be a simple fix. Problem is finding it. Seeing as
    > you're in the middle of malware removal procedures, there's even more
    > wildcards to consider. I suspect that your IE needs repairing. If you
    > can't get into Windows at all, neither Normal nor Safe Modes, then the
    > following instructions, shamelessly ripped off from Glen Ventura, might
    > help.

    > Follow the procedures here:
    > Blank Desktop or Illegal Operations Error Message After You Install
    > Internet
    > Explorer:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=kb;en-us;249191

    Thanks. Let's hope it's IE. Which AV program would be better for
    Pretty Park, if that's the problem - AVG or Avast?

    > 2. I was told to rename my Hosts file to old. I found one extension
    > that looked like it should be renamed old... but what is a .sam
    > extension? There are so many files when I search for hosts, I'm not
    > sure what I should name "old".

    If you have a "C:\Windows\hosts"(no extension) - that's probably the file
    that was being spoken about. "hosts.sam" I think is the Windows template for
    "Hosts".

    1. Reset the Restore Points. I believe someone else here answered that
    question for you. If not, you should ask in the ME newsgroup how to do
    that.

    2. The only HOSTS file you need to rename is the one that is just plain
    HOSTS, nothing else. If LMHOSTS (no extension) exists, then delete it.

    3. Done

    4. The instructions are to make a new file called fix.bat and run that
    on your system. Easiest way to do that is to add it to the ME Startup
    floppy disk.

    a. Right-click the desktop of whatever good computer you're working on,
    click New, then Text Document. Name it "fix.bat" then open it.

    b. Paste in the text you were given. Save the file and close.

    c. Copy "fix.bat" to your ME startup floppy disk Take to problem
    machine, insert floppy, then start up. If the floppy disk doesn't boot,
    then come back for further instruction.

    d. When you get to the A:\> prompt, type in FIX and then press <Enter>.

    Alternatively, you can save the FIX.BAT file to your C:\ root folder and
    then run it from a Command Prompt Only startup. I'm not clear as to
    whether you can access Windows at this time.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

> [...]
    >>
    >> Can't tell. It may be a simple fix. Problem is finding it. Seeing as
    >> you're in the middle of malware removal procedures, there's even
    >> more
    >> wildcards to consider. I suspect that your IE needs repairing. If
    >> you
    >> can't get into Windows at all, neither Normal nor Safe Modes, then
    >> the
    >> following instructions, shamelessly ripped off from Glen Ventura,
    >> might
    >> help.

    >> Follow the procedures here:
    >> Blank Desktop or Illegal Operations Error Message After You Install
    >> Internet
    >> Explorer:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=kb;en-us;249191
    >>
    > Thanks. Let's hope it's IE. Which AV program would be better for
    > Pretty Park, if that's the problem - AVG or Avast?

    Many thanks, Gary... I've never pretended to be remotely comfortable
    working in DOS and as you can see - I completely misunderstood what I
    was supposed to do with that fixbat thing.

    I'm still confused about the HOSTS file. Are you saying I'm should
    take the one named HOSTS (no extension) and ADD an extension to it?
    This just doesn't make sense to me. Why are there files/folders with
    no extensions?

    TIA

    ```````````````````````

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:09:01 -0700, Gary S. Terhune wrote:

    > 1. Reset the Restore Points. I believe someone else here answered that
    > question for you. If not, you should ask in the ME newsgroup how to do
    > that.
    >
    > 2. The only HOSTS file you need to rename is the one that is just plain
    > HOSTS, nothing else. If LMHOSTS (no extension) exists, then delete it.
    >
    > 3. Done
    >
    > 4. The instructions are to make a new file called fix.bat and run that
    > on your system. Easiest way to do that is to add it to the ME Startup
    > floppy disk.
    >
    > a. Right-click the desktop of whatever good computer you're working on,
    > click New, then Text Document. Name it "fix.bat" then open it.
    >
    > b. Paste in the text you were given. Save the file and close.
    >
    > c. Copy "fix.bat" to your ME startup floppy disk Take to problem
    > machine, insert floppy, then start up. If the floppy disk doesn't boot,
    > then come back for further instruction.
    >
    > d. When you get to the A:\> prompt, type in FIX and then press <Enter>.
    >
    > Alternatively, you can save the FIX.BAT file to your C:\ root folder and
    > then run it from a Command Prompt Only startup. I'm not clear as to
    > whether you can access Windows at this time.

    Yes, I'm saying to add an extension to your HOSTS file (the one that
    currently has no extension.) The usual goal is to add an extension that
    you recognize as being a backup. Thus HOSTS.OLD, HOSTS.BAK or
    HOSTS.FIX... Whatever extension so long as it is not in use by any other
    association. The purpose is simply to back it up. Personally, I'd
    probably just delete it.

    There are various reasons for a file to have no extension. Or rather,
    there are many reasons for a file to have an extension, none of which
    apply to these "extensionless" files. All an extension is good for is to
    indicate what type file it is, particularly for the purposes of
    association. When it's simply going to be referred to by name and almost
    exclusively accessed by the system, not "opened" by a user, an extension
    really servers no purpose. There are many such files in Windows, both 9x
    and NT-based.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Many thanks, Gary... I've never pretended to be remotely comfortable
    > working in DOS and as you can see - I completely misunderstood what I
    > was supposed to do with that fixbat thing.
    >
    > I'm still confused about the HOSTS file. Are you saying I'm should
    > take the one named HOSTS (no extension) and ADD an extension to it?
    > This just doesn't make sense to me. Why are there files/folders with
    > no extensions?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > ```````````````````````
    >
    > On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:09:01 -0700, Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    >
    >> 1. Reset the Restore Points. I believe someone else here answered
    >> that
    >> question for you. If not, you should ask in the ME newsgroup how to
    >> do
    >> that.
    >>
    >> 2. The only HOSTS file you need to rename is the one that is just
    >> plain
    >> HOSTS, nothing else. If LMHOSTS (no extension) exists, then delete
    >> it.
    >>
    >> 3. Done
    >>
    >> 4. The instructions are to make a new file called fix.bat and run
    >> that
    >> on your system. Easiest way to do that is to add it to the ME
    >> Startup
    >> floppy disk.
    >>
    >> a. Right-click the desktop of whatever good computer you're working
    >> on,
    >> click New, then Text Document. Name it "fix.bat" then open it.
    >>
    >> b. Paste in the text you were given. Save the file and close.
    >>
    >> c. Copy "fix.bat" to your ME startup floppy disk Take to problem
    >> machine, insert floppy, then start up. If the floppy disk doesn't
    >> boot,
    >> then come back for further instruction.
    >>
    >> d. When you get to the A:\> prompt, type in FIX and then press
    >> <Enter>.
    >>
    >> Alternatively, you can save the FIX.BAT file to your C:\ root folder
    >> and
    >> then run it from a Command Prompt Only startup. I'm not clear as to
    >> whether you can access Windows at this time.

    snip
    > a. Right-click the desktop of whatever good computer you're working on,
    > click New, then Text Document. Name it "fix.bat" then open it.

    Barb, Just a clarification here on Gary's suggestion:
    Name it "Fix.bat" INCLUDING the quote marks, in order to save it as a .bat file.
    Otherwise, you will end up with a text file, unless you change the "Save as type"
    from "Text" to "All Files (*.*)" in the Notepad "Save As" dialog box.

    I have been keeping up with your thread in the Hijack This forum, but have only made
    a quick response there to clarify some info, because I don't want to cause the "too
    many cooks" syndrome I see so often, where one gets conflicting suggestions from a
    variety of responders, and things get confused instead of fixed. It probably isn't
    helping that the person you are working with on it there, cannot reply sometimes for
    days at a time, it seems.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 21:50:34 -0700, Gary S. Terhune wrote:

    > Yes, I'm saying to add an extension to your HOSTS file (the one that
    > currently has no extension.) The usual goal is to add an extension that
    > you recognize as being a backup. Thus HOSTS.OLD, HOSTS.BAK or
    > HOSTS.FIX... Whatever extension so long as it is not in use by any other
    > association. The purpose is simply to back it up. Personally, I'd
    > probably just delete it.

    Thank you! That was my first reaction too. With your permission, I'm
    going to delete every file related to hosts, because I can always
    reinstall it. I will use Killbox to do... KB is my new "best friend".
    LOL!

    > There are various reasons for a file to have no extension. Or rather,
    > there are many reasons for a file to have an extension, none of which
    > apply to these "extensionless" files.

    This is what an under-educated user like me doesn't understand. I
    thought ALL files needed an extension, except some extensions are
    hidden (even in show all).

    > All an extension is good for is to
    > indicate what type file it is, particularly for the purposes of
    > association.

    That reasoning is beyond what my pea brain can envelop. I thought all
    files needed to be associated with something in order to read them...

    > When it's simply going to be referred to by name and almost
    > exclusively accessed by the system, not "opened" by a user, an extension
    > really servers no purpose.

    Thanks for the explanation, but an extension would make me less
    suspicious of it. Although I used computers before 3.1, I became
    "interested" during 3.1 that stage and still need the context of what
    I learned during that time. What's happening now seems to me like
    something that new users might accept, but only if you don't have any
    context.

    Topic Detour: Here's something that irks me. Most people who use
    computers now are not new to computing, SO why is it okay to give them
    less control? I'm talking about LITTLE things like clear cache (which
    is the answer to a lot of IE woes). The problem is - when you enter
    "clear cache" into Help... there is no such thing.

    > There are many such files in Windows, both 9x and NT-based.

    I can't get used to it, so call me paranoid. I didn't notice
    extensionless folders/files on 98se... but the problem seems to be as
    bad on ME as XP.

    :)

    > Thank you! That was my first reaction too. With your permission, I'm
    > going to delete every file related to hosts, because I can always
    > reinstall it. I will use Killbox to do... KB is my new "best friend".
    > LOL!

    I'd strongly recommend against such a procedure. HOSTS and LMHOSTS are
    the only ones to be concerned about. I fear you may delete something
    that seems related but isn't. Something that you'll immediately regret
    having deleted.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 22:19:53 -0700, Gary S. Terhune wrote:

    > "sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Thank you! That was my first reaction too. With your permission, I'm
    > > going to delete every file related to hosts, because I can always
    > > reinstall it. I will use Killbox to do... KB is my new "best friend".
    > > LOL!
    >
    > I'd strongly recommend against such a procedure. HOSTS and LMHOSTS are
    > the only ones to be concerned about. I fear you may delete something
    > that seems related but isn't. Something that you'll immediately regret
    > having deleted.

    Will confine my killing to those, in that case... manana.

    :)

Windows