Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

two questions

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
July 25, 2005 3:33:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

I'm still fighting that ceres variant of VX2 in the ME... I've been
told to do a couple of things I don't know how to do or am confused
about.

1. I was given a list to cut & paste into DOS to delete certain
files. I got into DOS, but I don't know how to take the list from my
floppy and paste it into DOS. Help please?

2. I was told to rename my Hosts file to old. I found one extension
that looked like it should be renamed old... but what is a .sam
extension? There are so many files when I search for hosts, I'm not
sure what I should name "old".

3. I can't seem to get back to the regular Windows screen even on
reboot. A black screen appears after the Dell splash screen, then a
message saying "returning to windows". After that, an empty task bar
apprear at the bottom and an empty IE window. Everything is black
except for the gray task bar and gray IE window with black main
window. Weird. Is the computer a goner now?

More about : questions

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 4:25:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:gvaae1ltnsm296e4580bjb5tq622a0bki6@4ax.com...
>
> I'm still fighting that ceres variant of VX2 in the ME... I've been
> told to do a couple of things I don't know how to do or am confused
> about.
>
> 1. I was given a list to cut & paste into DOS to delete certain
> files. I got into DOS, but I don't know how to take the list from my
> floppy and paste it into DOS. Help please?

Please open the "list" in Notepad and copy the contents into a Reply
here.

> 2. I was told to rename my Hosts file to old. I found one extension
> that looked like it should be renamed old... but what is a .sam
> extension? There are so many files when I search for hosts, I'm not
> sure what I should name "old".

There are two main HOSTS files. LMHOSTS and HOSTS. Neither has an
extension. Neither is present in Windows 9x unless you create one. The
HOSTS.SAM file is a template/instruction document. Those with any other
extension are likely backups of one sort or another.

> 3. I can't seem to get back to the regular Windows screen even on
> reboot. A black screen appears after the Dell splash screen, then a
> message saying "returning to windows". After that, an empty task bar
> apprear at the bottom and an empty IE window. Everything is black
> except for the gray task bar and gray IE window with black main
> window. Weird. Is the computer a goner now?

Can't tell. It may be a simple fix. Problem is finding it. Seeing as
you're in the middle of malware removal procedures, there's even more
wildcards to consider. I suspect that your IE needs repairing. If you
can't get into Windows at all, neither Normal nor Safe Modes, then the
following instructions, shamelessly ripped off from Glen Ventura, might
help.

--------------------------------------------------------
Follow the procedures here:
Blank Desktop or Illegal Operations Error Message After You Install
Internet
Explorer:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=kb;en-us;249191

If those procedures do not help, have a look here:
Recovering From a Failed Internet Explorer Upgrade in Windows 98:
http://www.cs.bsu.edu/~gjjones/administrivia/stories/20...
or
http://tinyurl.com/r5ba

Especially this section at the end:

"If you still have boot problems after you reboot, you should use the
command prompt
to edit the c:\windows\system.ini file. On the command line type edit
c:\windows\system.ini.

"Once it is open, change the line shell=explorer.exe to
shell=progman.exe. What you
are doing here is changing the default shell (that is having problems)
from the
Windows Explorer to the old Windows Program Manager shell.

"Reboot Windows. It should now successfully boot with no errors into an
empty
Program Manager shell. Use the File | Run | Browse drop down menu
selection to
browse to c:\program files\internet explorer and launch ie5setup.exe or
ie6setup.exe
(depending on what is there). Do a custom install and check all the Bold
faced
options. When the setup program alerts you that these files are already
installed,
tell it to reinstall all of the files.
----------------------------------------------------

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 5:56:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

This is a 98 newsgroup--the ME experts hang out in the ME newsgroups.
Having not used ME in years, I do not recall how to do a system restore. If
you know, try it if you can. If you don't know, post to a ME newsgroup.

--
Regards


Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo



"sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:gvaae1ltnsm296e4580bjb5tq622a0bki6@4ax.com...
>
> I'm still fighting that ceres variant of VX2 in the ME... I've been
> told to do a couple of things I don't know how to do or am confused
> about.
>
> 1. I was given a list to cut & paste into DOS to delete certain
> files. I got into DOS, but I don't know how to take the list from my
> floppy and paste it into DOS. Help please?
>
> 2. I was told to rename my Hosts file to old. I found one extension
> that looked like it should be renamed old... but what is a .sam
> extension? There are so many files when I search for hosts, I'm not
> sure what I should name "old".
>
> 3. I can't seem to get back to the regular Windows screen even on
> reboot. A black screen appears after the Dell splash screen, then a
> message saying "returning to windows". After that, an empty task bar
> apprear at the bottom and an empty IE window. Everything is black
> except for the gray task bar and gray IE window with black main
> window. Weird. Is the computer a goner now?
Related resources
July 25, 2005 6:16:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:25:56 -0700, Gary S. Terhune wrote:

> "sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:gvaae1ltnsm296e4580bjb5tq622a0bki6@4ax.com...
> >
> > I'm still fighting that ceres variant of VX2 in the ME... I've been
> > told to do a couple of things I don't know how to do or am confused
> > about.
> >
> > 1. I was given a list to cut & paste into DOS to delete certain
> > files. I got into DOS, but I don't know how to take the list from my
> > floppy and paste it into DOS. Help please?
>
> Please open the "list" in Notepad and copy the contents into a Reply
> here.
>
Here it is:
If you want to make additional effort prior to another post, here is
what I would suggest.

1) Reset the restore points.

<I don't think I did that>

2) Check for a hosts file, rename if present.

<Way too many entries for me to know what to change>

3) Make the ME startup diskette.

<done>

4) Copy the lines between the ======== lines below into notepad and
save the file as fix.bat on the startup diskette.

<I found fixit.bat, not fix.bat>

(Do not include the ==== lines and be sure there is not a blank line
at the beginning of the file or between any of the lines.)
(to save you some typing I have created a sequence of lines changing
the attributes and deleting each of the files that killbox did not
find in the previous post plus the three new files that showed in the
new hjt log.

<this is a problem for me, there is an assumption that I know how to
work in DOS - but I don't>

There may be additional files on the system that a new find qoologic
or panda log would show that are not included in this list.)
==================================================
attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\CERES.DLL
attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\COYCNYO.DLL
attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\NDNuninstall4_34.exe
attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\UNLUHL.EXE
attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\VQGVI.DLL
attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\Startm~1\programs\startup\CPUC.EXE
attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\e6f1873b.dll
attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LKSSPGMM.EXE
attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\System\REDIT.CPL
attrib -s -h -r C:\PROGRA~1\OCRA\NESL.EXE
attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZENAP.EXE
attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ACCTWH32.EXE
del C:\WINDOWS\CERES.DLL
del C:\WINDOWS\COYCNYO.DLL
del C:\WINDOWS\NDNuninstall4_34.exe
del C:\WINDOWS\UNLUHL.EXE
del C:\WINDOWS\VQGVI.DLL
del C:\WINDOWS\Startm~1\programs\startup\CPUC.EXE
del C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\e6f1873b.dll
del C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LKSSPGMM.EXE
del C:\WINDOWS\System\REDIT.CPL
del C:\PROGRA~1\OCRA\NESL.EXE
del C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZENAP.EXE
del C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ACCTWH32.EXE
=======================================================

> > 2. I was told to rename my Hosts file to old. I found one extension
> > that looked like it should be renamed old... but what is a .sam
> > extension? There are so many files when I search for hosts, I'm not
> > sure what I should name "old".
>
> There are two main HOSTS files. LMHOSTS and HOSTS. Neither has an
> extension. Neither is present in Windows 9x unless you create one. The
> HOSTS.SAM file is a template/instruction document. Those with any other
> extension are likely backups of one sort or another.

Thanks.
>
> > 3. I can't seem to get back to the regular Windows screen even on
> > reboot. A black screen appears after the Dell splash screen, then a
> > message saying "returning to windows". After that, an empty task bar
> > apprear at the bottom and an empty IE window. Everything is black
> > except for the gray task bar and gray IE window with black main
> > window. Weird. Is the computer a goner now?
>
> Can't tell. It may be a simple fix. Problem is finding it. Seeing as
> you're in the middle of malware removal procedures, there's even more
> wildcards to consider. I suspect that your IE needs repairing. If you
> can't get into Windows at all, neither Normal nor Safe Modes, then the
> following instructions, shamelessly ripped off from Glen Ventura, might
> help.
>
> --------------------------------------------------------
> Follow the procedures here:
> Blank Desktop or Illegal Operations Error Message After You Install
> Internet
> Explorer:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=kb;en-us;249191
>
Thanks. Let's hope it's IE. Which AV program would be better for
Pretty Park, if that's the problem - AVG or Avast?
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 6:46:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

> 2. I was told to rename my Hosts file to old. I found one extension
> that looked like it should be renamed old... but what is a .sam
> extension? There are so many files when I search for hosts, I'm not
> sure what I should name "old".

If you have a "C:\Windows\hosts"(no extension) - that's probably the file
that was being spoken about. "hosts.sam" I think is the Windows template for
"Hosts".
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 8:09:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

1. Reset the Restore Points. I believe someone else here answered that
question for you. If not, you should ask in the ME newsgroup how to do
that.

2. The only HOSTS file you need to rename is the one that is just plain
HOSTS, nothing else. If LMHOSTS (no extension) exists, then delete it.

3. Done

4. The instructions are to make a new file called fix.bat and run that
on your system. Easiest way to do that is to add it to the ME Startup
floppy disk.

a. Right-click the desktop of whatever good computer you're working on,
click New, then Text Document. Name it "fix.bat" then open it.

b. Paste in the text you were given. Save the file and close.

c. Copy "fix.bat" to your ME startup floppy disk Take to problem
machine, insert floppy, then start up. If the floppy disk doesn't boot,
then come back for further instruction.

d. When you get to the A:\> prompt, type in FIX and then press <Enter>.

Alternatively, you can save the FIX.BAT file to your C:\ root folder and
then run it from a Command Prompt Only startup. I'm not clear as to
whether you can access Windows at this time.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

"sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:3mhae1pu1239854kc1fnp4jf4mv386nguj@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:25:56 -0700, Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>
>> "sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:gvaae1ltnsm296e4580bjb5tq622a0bki6@4ax.com...
>> >
>> > I'm still fighting that ceres variant of VX2 in the ME... I've
>> been
>> > told to do a couple of things I don't know how to do or am
>> confused
>> > about.
>> >
>> > 1. I was given a list to cut & paste into DOS to delete certain
>> > files. I got into DOS, but I don't know how to take the list from
>> my
>> > floppy and paste it into DOS. Help please?
>>
>> Please open the "list" in Notepad and copy the contents into a Reply
>> here.
>>
> Here it is:
> If you want to make additional effort prior to another post, here is
> what I would suggest.
>
> 1) Reset the restore points.
>
> <I don't think I did that>
>
> 2) Check for a hosts file, rename if present.
>
> <Way too many entries for me to know what to change>
>
> 3) Make the ME startup diskette.
>
> <done>
>
> 4) Copy the lines between the ======== lines below into notepad and
> save the file as fix.bat on the startup diskette.
>
> <I found fixit.bat, not fix.bat>
>
> (Do not include the ==== lines and be sure there is not a blank line
> at the beginning of the file or between any of the lines.)
> (to save you some typing I have created a sequence of lines changing
> the attributes and deleting each of the files that killbox did not
> find in the previous post plus the three new files that showed in the
> new hjt log.
>
> <this is a problem for me, there is an assumption that I know how to
> work in DOS - but I don't>
>
> There may be additional files on the system that a new find qoologic
> or panda log would show that are not included in this list.)
> ==================================================
> attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\CERES.DLL
> attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\COYCNYO.DLL
> attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\NDNuninstall4_34.exe
> attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\UNLUHL.EXE
> attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\VQGVI.DLL
> attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\Startm~1\programs\startup\CPUC.EXE
> attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\e6f1873b.dll
> attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LKSSPGMM.EXE
> attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\System\REDIT.CPL
> attrib -s -h -r C:\PROGRA~1\OCRA\NESL.EXE
> attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZENAP.EXE
> attrib -s -h -r C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ACCTWH32.EXE
> del C:\WINDOWS\CERES.DLL
> del C:\WINDOWS\COYCNYO.DLL
> del C:\WINDOWS\NDNuninstall4_34.exe
> del C:\WINDOWS\UNLUHL.EXE
> del C:\WINDOWS\VQGVI.DLL
> del C:\WINDOWS\Startm~1\programs\startup\CPUC.EXE
> del C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\e6f1873b.dll
> del C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LKSSPGMM.EXE
> del C:\WINDOWS\System\REDIT.CPL
> del C:\PROGRA~1\OCRA\NESL.EXE
> del C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZENAP.EXE
> del C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ACCTWH32.EXE
> =======================================================
>
>> > 2. I was told to rename my Hosts file to old. I found one
>> extension
>> > that looked like it should be renamed old... but what is a .sam
>> > extension? There are so many files when I search for hosts, I'm
>> not
>> > sure what I should name "old".
>>
>> There are two main HOSTS files. LMHOSTS and HOSTS. Neither has an
>> extension. Neither is present in Windows 9x unless you create one.
>> The
>> HOSTS.SAM file is a template/instruction document. Those with any
>> other
>> extension are likely backups of one sort or another.
>
> Thanks.
>>
>> > 3. I can't seem to get back to the regular Windows screen even on
>> > reboot. A black screen appears after the Dell splash screen, then
>> a
>> > message saying "returning to windows". After that, an empty task
>> bar
>> > apprear at the bottom and an empty IE window. Everything is black
>> > except for the gray task bar and gray IE window with black main
>> > window. Weird. Is the computer a goner now?
>>
>> Can't tell. It may be a simple fix. Problem is finding it. Seeing as
>> you're in the middle of malware removal procedures, there's even
>> more
>> wildcards to consider. I suspect that your IE needs repairing. If
>> you
>> can't get into Windows at all, neither Normal nor Safe Modes, then
>> the
>> following instructions, shamelessly ripped off from Glen Ventura,
>> might
>> help.
>>
>> --------------------------------------------------------
>> Follow the procedures here:
>> Blank Desktop or Illegal Operations Error Message After You Install
>> Internet
>> Explorer:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=kb;en-us;249191
>>
> Thanks. Let's hope it's IE. Which AV program would be better for
> Pretty Park, if that's the problem - AVG or Avast?
July 26, 2005 1:17:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Many thanks, Gary... I've never pretended to be remotely comfortable
working in DOS and as you can see - I completely misunderstood what I
was supposed to do with that fixbat thing.

I'm still confused about the HOSTS file. Are you saying I'm should
take the one named HOSTS (no extension) and ADD an extension to it?
This just doesn't make sense to me. Why are there files/folders with
no extensions?

TIA

```````````````````````

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:09:01 -0700, Gary S. Terhune wrote:

> 1. Reset the Restore Points. I believe someone else here answered that
> question for you. If not, you should ask in the ME newsgroup how to do
> that.
>
> 2. The only HOSTS file you need to rename is the one that is just plain
> HOSTS, nothing else. If LMHOSTS (no extension) exists, then delete it.
>
> 3. Done
>
> 4. The instructions are to make a new file called fix.bat and run that
> on your system. Easiest way to do that is to add it to the ME Startup
> floppy disk.
>
> a. Right-click the desktop of whatever good computer you're working on,
> click New, then Text Document. Name it "fix.bat" then open it.
>
> b. Paste in the text you were given. Save the file and close.
>
> c. Copy "fix.bat" to your ME startup floppy disk Take to problem
> machine, insert floppy, then start up. If the floppy disk doesn't boot,
> then come back for further instruction.
>
> d. When you get to the A:\> prompt, type in FIX and then press <Enter>.
>
> Alternatively, you can save the FIX.BAT file to your C:\ root folder and
> then run it from a Command Prompt Only startup. I'm not clear as to
> whether you can access Windows at this time.
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 1:50:34 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Yes, I'm saying to add an extension to your HOSTS file (the one that
currently has no extension.) The usual goal is to add an extension that
you recognize as being a backup. Thus HOSTS.OLD, HOSTS.BAK or
HOSTS.FIX... Whatever extension so long as it is not in use by any other
association. The purpose is simply to back it up. Personally, I'd
probably just delete it.

There are various reasons for a file to have no extension. Or rather,
there are many reasons for a file to have an extension, none of which
apply to these "extensionless" files. All an extension is good for is to
indicate what type file it is, particularly for the purposes of
association. When it's simply going to be referred to by name and almost
exclusively accessed by the system, not "opened" by a user, an extension
really servers no purpose. There are many such files in Windows, both 9x
and NT-based.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

"sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:2rdbe11t37fflgghd4qm9en1stolb0g18e@4ax.com...
> Many thanks, Gary... I've never pretended to be remotely comfortable
> working in DOS and as you can see - I completely misunderstood what I
> was supposed to do with that fixbat thing.
>
> I'm still confused about the HOSTS file. Are you saying I'm should
> take the one named HOSTS (no extension) and ADD an extension to it?
> This just doesn't make sense to me. Why are there files/folders with
> no extensions?
>
> TIA
>
> ```````````````````````
>
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:09:01 -0700, Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>
>> 1. Reset the Restore Points. I believe someone else here answered
>> that
>> question for you. If not, you should ask in the ME newsgroup how to
>> do
>> that.
>>
>> 2. The only HOSTS file you need to rename is the one that is just
>> plain
>> HOSTS, nothing else. If LMHOSTS (no extension) exists, then delete
>> it.
>>
>> 3. Done
>>
>> 4. The instructions are to make a new file called fix.bat and run
>> that
>> on your system. Easiest way to do that is to add it to the ME
>> Startup
>> floppy disk.
>>
>> a. Right-click the desktop of whatever good computer you're working
>> on,
>> click New, then Text Document. Name it "fix.bat" then open it.
>>
>> b. Paste in the text you were given. Save the file and close.
>>
>> c. Copy "fix.bat" to your ME startup floppy disk Take to problem
>> machine, insert floppy, then start up. If the floppy disk doesn't
>> boot,
>> then come back for further instruction.
>>
>> d. When you get to the A:\> prompt, type in FIX and then press
>> <Enter>.
>>
>> Alternatively, you can save the FIX.BAT file to your C:\ root folder
>> and
>> then run it from a Command Prompt Only startup. I'm not clear as to
>> whether you can access Windows at this time.
>
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 2:53:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:eGvxN3WkFHA.2920@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
snip
> a. Right-click the desktop of whatever good computer you're working on,
> click New, then Text Document. Name it "fix.bat" then open it.

Barb, Just a clarification here on Gary's suggestion:
Name it "Fix.bat" INCLUDING the quote marks, in order to save it as a .bat file.
Otherwise, you will end up with a text file, unless you change the "Save as type"
from "Text" to "All Files (*.*)" in the Notepad "Save As" dialog box.

I have been keeping up with your thread in the Hijack This forum, but have only made
a quick response there to clarify some info, because I don't want to cause the "too
many cooks" syndrome I see so often, where one gets conflicting suggestions from a
variety of responders, and things get confused instead of fixed. It probably isn't
helping that the person you are working with on it there, cannot reply sometimes for
days at a time, it seems.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
July 27, 2005 2:04:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 21:50:34 -0700, Gary S. Terhune wrote:

> Yes, I'm saying to add an extension to your HOSTS file (the one that
> currently has no extension.) The usual goal is to add an extension that
> you recognize as being a backup. Thus HOSTS.OLD, HOSTS.BAK or
> HOSTS.FIX... Whatever extension so long as it is not in use by any other
> association. The purpose is simply to back it up. Personally, I'd
> probably just delete it.
>
Thank you! That was my first reaction too. With your permission, I'm
going to delete every file related to hosts, because I can always
reinstall it. I will use Killbox to do... KB is my new "best friend".
LOL!

> There are various reasons for a file to have no extension. Or rather,
> there are many reasons for a file to have an extension, none of which
> apply to these "extensionless" files.

This is what an under-educated user like me doesn't understand. I
thought ALL files needed an extension, except some extensions are
hidden (even in show all).

> All an extension is good for is to
> indicate what type file it is, particularly for the purposes of
> association.

That reasoning is beyond what my pea brain can envelop. I thought all
files needed to be associated with something in order to read them...

> When it's simply going to be referred to by name and almost
> exclusively accessed by the system, not "opened" by a user, an extension
> really servers no purpose.

Thanks for the explanation, but an extension would make me less
suspicious of it. Although I used computers before 3.1, I became
"interested" during 3.1 that stage and still need the context of what
I learned during that time. What's happening now seems to me like
something that new users might accept, but only if you don't have any
context.

Topic Detour: Here's something that irks me. Most people who use
computers now are not new to computing, SO why is it okay to give them
less control? I'm talking about LITTLE things like clear cache (which
is the answer to a lot of IE woes). The problem is - when you enter
"clear cache" into Help... there is no such thing.

> There are many such files in Windows, both 9x and NT-based.

I can't get used to it, so call me paranoid. I didn't notice
extensionless folders/files on 98se... but the problem seems to be as
bad on ME as XP.

:) 
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 2:19:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:lf5ee11l42p7cjvnrh7ckqq3terqfpq4rp@4ax.com...
> Thank you! That was my first reaction too. With your permission, I'm
> going to delete every file related to hosts, because I can always
> reinstall it. I will use Killbox to do... KB is my new "best friend".
> LOL!

I'd strongly recommend against such a procedure. HOSTS and LMHOSTS are
the only ones to be concerned about. I fear you may delete something
that seems related but isn't. Something that you'll immediately regret
having deleted.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
July 28, 2005 12:38:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 22:19:53 -0700, Gary S. Terhune wrote:

> "sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:lf5ee11l42p7cjvnrh7ckqq3terqfpq4rp@4ax.com...
> > Thank you! That was my first reaction too. With your permission, I'm
> > going to delete every file related to hosts, because I can always
> > reinstall it. I will use Killbox to do... KB is my new "best friend".
> > LOL!
>
> I'd strongly recommend against such a procedure. HOSTS and LMHOSTS are
> the only ones to be concerned about. I fear you may delete something
> that seems related but isn't. Something that you'll immediately regret
> having deleted.

Will confine my killing to those, in that case... manana.

:) 
!