com port

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 25, 2005 4:16:05 PM

How do you tell in windows 98, 2k and xp what port # the com port is running
at .

More about : port

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 4:30:22 PM

There are more than one COM ports in the typical PC, and there are even
more "virtual" COM ports. Please rephrase your question to explain more
accurately what you are talking about. For instance, the "serial" ports
on the back of your computer usually use COMs 1 and perhaps 2. If you
have a modem, it is usually configured to use an unoccupied COM port or
a virtual COM port.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"sthompson" <sthompson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do you tell in windows 98, 2k and xp what port # the com port is
> running
> at .
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 4:39:04 PM

Oh ok sorry. I have 1 physical serial port on my computer and i am trying to
run a program but i do not know how to tell what com port # the serial port
is set to.

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> There are more than one COM ports in the typical PC, and there are even
> more "virtual" COM ports. Please rephrase your question to explain more
> accurately what you are talking about. For instance, the "serial" ports
> on the back of your computer usually use COMs 1 and perhaps 2. If you
> have a modem, it is usually configured to use an unoccupied COM port or
> a virtual COM port.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "sthompson" <sthompson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do you tell in windows 98, 2k and xp what port # the com port is
> > running
> > at .

July 25, 2005 4:52:58 PM

Well, it's almost certainly either 1 or 2. Why not try them?

If there is an application in native Windows that shows you which serial
port is using which COM port, it would probably be MSINFO32.EXE ("System
Information"). Other system information apps exist, like Everest, and
BIOS also usually includes this information. I don't believe Device
Manager will give it to you.

--

> Oh ok sorry. I have 1 physical serial port on my computer and i am
> trying to
> run a program but i do not know how to tell what com port # the serial
> port
> is set to.
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
>> There are more than one COM ports in the typical PC, and there are
>> even
>> more "virtual" COM ports. Please rephrase your question to explain
>> more
>> accurately what you are talking about. For instance, the "serial"
>> ports
>> on the back of your computer usually use COMs 1 and perhaps 2. If you
>> have a modem, it is usually configured to use an unoccupied COM port
>> or
>> a virtual COM port.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>> "sthompson" <sthompson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > How do you tell in windows 98, 2k and xp what port # the com port
>> > is
>> > running
>> > at .

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 7:21:58 PM

> How do you tell in windows 98, 2k and xp what port # the com port is
running
> at .

It's generally on the back of the computer(whichever port your cable is
plugged into).
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 7:21:59 PM

i checked and i did not see a number by the comport

"jkb" wrote:

> > How do you tell in windows 98, 2k and xp what port # the com port is
> running
> > at .
>
> It's generally on the back of the computer(whichever port your cable is
> plugged into).

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 7:34:17 PM

> i checked and i did not see a number by the comport

In Win98 - go to Control Panel, System, Device Manager, Ports - Tere should
be at least one "Communications Port" device with the port number after
that.
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 9:05:21 PM

If you only have one physical serial port on the back of the computer, open Device
Manager (Control Panel> System> Device Manager tab), expand the Ports category by
clicking the + sign, and it should show only the one physical port as COM# (along
with printer LPT ports).

What program are you using and what does it need the COM port number for?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"sthompson" <sthompson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Oh ok sorry. I have 1 physical serial port on my computer and i am trying to
> run a program but i do not know how to tell what com port # the serial port
> is set to.
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
> > There are more than one COM ports in the typical PC, and there are even
> > more "virtual" COM ports. Please rephrase your question to explain more
> > accurately what you are talking about. For instance, the "serial" ports
> > on the back of your computer usually use COMs 1 and perhaps 2. If you
> > have a modem, it is usually configured to use an unoccupied COM port or
> > a virtual COM port.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "sthompson" <sthompson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > How do you tell in windows 98, 2k and xp what port # the com port is
> > > running
> > > at .

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 8:40:21 AM

Physical serial ports are noted in the bios along with their com port
designation, irq usage etc.
These are not remapped or changed in any fashion by windows.

"sthompson" <sthompson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Oh ok sorry. I have 1 physical serial port on my computer and i am trying
> run a program but i do not know how to tell what com port # the serial
port
> is set to.
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
> > There are more than one COM ports in the typical PC, and there are even
> > more "virtual" COM ports. Please rephrase your question to explain more
> > accurately what you are talking about. For instance, the "serial" ports
> > on the back of your computer usually use COMs 1 and perhaps 2. If you
> > have a modem, it is usually configured to use an unoccupied COM port or
> > a virtual COM port.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "sthompson" <sthompson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > How do you tell in windows 98, 2k and xp what port # the com port is
> > > running
> > > at .

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 10:49:57 AM

jkb wrote:
>>i checked and i did not see a number by the comport
>

> In Win98 - go to Control Panel, System, Device Manager, Ports - Tere should
> be at least one "Communications Port" device with the port number after
> that.

In my laptop there is COM2 and a LPT1, plus a Virtual Infrared of each.
However, in the Modem tab of the properties of my Xircom RealPort2
Cardbus Modem, I see:

Port: COM3

I think I had changed it to COM3 when I have problems making the
cardmodem work. How can I change it back to COM2? And what is this COM3
anyway? However, I don't have any problems with the situation except,
maybe, that I can't make it sound when it is dialing. -Eustace
!