com port

How do you tell in windows 98, 2k and xp what port # the com port is running
at .
9 answers Last reply
More about port

    There are more than one COM ports in the typical PC, and there are even
    more "virtual" COM ports. Please rephrase your question to explain more
    accurately what you are talking about. For instance, the "serial" ports
    on the back of your computer usually use COMs 1 and perhaps 2. If you
    have a modem, it is usually configured to use an unoccupied COM port or
    a virtual COM port.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "sthompson" <sthompson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How do you tell in windows 98, 2k and xp what port # the com port is
    > running
    > at .

    Oh ok sorry. I have 1 physical serial port on my computer and i am trying to
    run a program but i do not know how to tell what com port # the serial port
    is set to.

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > There are more than one COM ports in the typical PC, and there are even
    > more "virtual" COM ports. Please rephrase your question to explain more
    > accurately what you are talking about. For instance, the "serial" ports
    > on the back of your computer usually use COMs 1 and perhaps 2. If you
    > have a modem, it is usually configured to use an unoccupied COM port or
    > a virtual COM port.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "sthompson" <sthompson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > How do you tell in windows 98, 2k and xp what port # the com port is
    > > running
    > > at .

    Well, it's almost certainly either 1 or 2. Why not try them?

    If there is an application in native Windows that shows you which serial
    port is using which COM port, it would probably be MSINFO32.EXE ("System
    Information"). Other system information apps exist, like Everest, and
    BIOS also usually includes this information. I don't believe Device
    Manager will give it to you.

    --

    > Oh ok sorry. I have 1 physical serial port on my computer and i am
    > trying to
    > run a program but i do not know how to tell what com port # the serial
    > port
    > is set to.
    >
    > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    >
    >> There are more than one COM ports in the typical PC, and there are
    >> even
    >> more "virtual" COM ports. Please rephrase your question to explain
    >> more
    >> accurately what you are talking about. For instance, the "serial"
    >> ports
    >> on the back of your computer usually use COMs 1 and perhaps 2. If you
    >> have a modem, it is usually configured to use an unoccupied COM port
    >> or
    >> a virtual COM port.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS MVP Shell/User
    >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    >>
    >> "sthompson" <sthompson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > How do you tell in windows 98, 2k and xp what port # the com port
    >> > is
    >> > running
    >> > at .

    > How do you tell in windows 98, 2k and xp what port # the com port is
    running
    > at .

    It's generally on the back of the computer(whichever port your cable is
    plugged into).

    i checked and i did not see a number by the comport

    "jkb" wrote:

    > > How do you tell in windows 98, 2k and xp what port # the com port is
    > running
    > > at .
    >
    > It's generally on the back of the computer(whichever port your cable is
    > plugged into).

    > i checked and i did not see a number by the comport

    In Win98 - go to Control Panel, System, Device Manager, Ports - Tere should
    be at least one "Communications Port" device with the port number after
    that.

    If you only have one physical serial port on the back of the computer, open Device
    Manager (Control Panel> System> Device Manager tab), expand the Ports category by
    clicking the + sign, and it should show only the one physical port as COM# (along
    with printer LPT ports).

    What program are you using and what does it need the COM port number for?
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "sthompson" <sthompson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Oh ok sorry. I have 1 physical serial port on my computer and i am trying to
    > run a program but i do not know how to tell what com port # the serial port
    > is set to.
    >
    > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    >
    > > There are more than one COM ports in the typical PC, and there are even
    > > more "virtual" COM ports. Please rephrase your question to explain more
    > > accurately what you are talking about. For instance, the "serial" ports
    > > on the back of your computer usually use COMs 1 and perhaps 2. If you
    > > have a modem, it is usually configured to use an unoccupied COM port or
    > > a virtual COM port.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "sthompson" <sthompson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > How do you tell in windows 98, 2k and xp what port # the com port is
    > > > running
    > > > at .

    Physical serial ports are noted in the bios along with their com port
    designation, irq usage etc.
    These are not remapped or changed in any fashion by windows.

    jkb wrote:
    >>i checked and i did not see a number by the comport
    >

    > In Win98 - go to Control Panel, System, Device Manager, Ports - Tere should
    > be at least one "Communications Port" device with the port number after
    > that.

    In my laptop there is COM2 and a LPT1, plus a Virtual Infrared of each.
    However, in the Modem tab of the properties of my Xircom RealPort2
    Cardbus Modem, I see:

    Port: COM3

    I think I had changed it to COM3 when I have problems making the
    cardmodem work. How can I change it back to COM2? And what is this COM3
    anyway? However, I don't have any problems with the situation except,
    maybe, that I can't make it sound when it is dialing. -Eustace

Comm Port Windows 98 Microsoft Windows XP Windows