AOL Trial Software

Can anyone tell me how to remove AOL from my brand new system. There's no
uninstall that I can find. Just taking up space. Same thing for Netscape.

SnaKe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

There are 2 ways to do this... First is to go to control panel, and try to
find your AOL files in ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAMS and just click add/remove,
thats you uninstall everything that doesn't have an UNINSTALLER for you when
you install it. Now some programs that are mean like that sometimes don't
list them there (most do). So go into your C drive (hard drive). Just go to
my computer and click c drive and look for your AOL file. If its not there
it should be in programs. Once you find it in your c drive it should be in 1
folder. named AOL or something like that. If u want to get rid of it delete
that entire folder. make sure thats all you delete and that you don't delete
the programs folder or something. Got to be careful in C drive. The bad
thing about AOL and AIM and stuff is that they arn't like most companies and
they just like to make files everywhere so you might come across like a bunch
of screen names you had a long time ago in folders that arn't even in the
program folder. Anyway AOL might say its still uninstalled since you didn't
officially uninstall it, but the files arn't even there so its not taking up
space, and 2 its as if u uninstalled it. Even when you uninstall things not
all of it is erased, because some of the software is in use of other things.
It does this so your computer can operate and not be lost without those
files. So those files won't be able to work with AOL since well aol isn't
there anymore. So if you ever want AOL again don't worry it'll rewrite
those files with them again, making them work with AOL again so if u want aol
again just reinstall and all is good.

Bill Lutts wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to remove AOL from my brand new system.
> There's no uninstall that I can find. Just taking up space. Same
> thing for Netscape.

Sadly, the only practical way I've ever found to completely
remove AOL from an operating system is to format the hard drive and
perform a clean installation. I absolutely loathe having to resort to
a hard drive format to fix what should be a relatively minor issue,
but it takes a lot less time than manually removing/replacing all of
the Windows system files that AOL replaces with their own versions and
the hundreds of unnecessary registry entries.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH

Hi

Have you tried contacting AOL to see if they can help you get rid of their
own dross? Same for Netscape. Both are as bad as each other!!

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Bill Lutts" <b_lutts@charter.net> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me how to remove AOL from my brand new system. There's no
> uninstall that I can find. Just taking up space. Same thing for Netscape.

I love AOL, they send me a dozen or so very nice CD holders
every year. The CDs make nice sparkles in the microwave.

Format and reinstall Windows.

| Hi
|
| Have you tried contacting AOL to see if they can help you
get rid of their
| own dross? Same for Netscape. Both are as bad as each
other!!

| --
|
| Will Denny
| MVP - Windows Shell/User
| Please reply to the News Groups
|

| "Bill Lutts" <b_lutts@charter.net> wrote in message
| > Can anyone tell me how to remove AOL from my brand new
system. There's no
| > uninstall that I can find. Just taking up space. Same
thing for Netscape.

Good for you Jim. I agree, get rid of AOL, and reinstall Windows. Then try
another ISP ASAP!!

--

>I love AOL, they send me a dozen or so very nice CD holders
> every year. The CDs make nice sparkles in the microwave.
>
> Format and reinstall Windows.

> | Hi
> |
> | Have you tried contacting AOL to see if they can help you
> get rid of their
> | own dross? Same for Netscape. Both are as bad as each
> other!!
> |
> | --
> |
> | Will Denny
> | MVP - Windows Shell/User
> | Please reply to the News Groups
> |

> | "Bill Lutts" <b_lutts@charter.net> wrote in message
> | > Can anyone tell me how to remove AOL from my brand new
> system. There's no
> | > uninstall that I can find. Just taking up space. Same
> thing for Netscape.

Have you seen their new CD cases, clear semi-flexible
plastic with a hinged CD holder inside.

But what can you do with those metal boxes, they're too
small for most uses.

| Good for you Jim. I agree, get rid of AOL, and reinstall
Windows. Then try
| another ISP ASAP!!
|
| --
|
| Will Denny
| MVP - Windows Shell/User
| Please reply to the News Groups

in message
| >I love AOL, they send me a dozen or so very nice CD
holders
| > every year. The CDs make nice sparkles in the
microwave.

| > Format and reinstall Windows.
| >

| > "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
| > | Hi
| > |
| > | Have you tried contacting AOL to see if they can help
you
| > get rid of their
| > | own dross? Same for Netscape. Both are as bad as
each
| > other!!
| > |
| > | --
| > |
| > | Will Denny
| > | MVP - Windows Shell/User
| > | Please reply to the News Groups
| > |
| > |
| > | "Bill Lutts" <b_lutts@charter.net> wrote in message
new
| > system. There's no
Same
| > thing for Netscape.

| > |
| > |

Perhaps a local recyle company will pay you for them?

Tom
| Have you seen their new CD cases, clear semi-flexible
| plastic with a hinged CD holder inside.
|
| But what can you do with those metal boxes, they're too
| small for most uses.
|

| "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
| | Good for you Jim. I agree, get rid of AOL, and reinstall
| Windows. Then try
| | another ISP ASAP!!
| |
| | --
| |
| | Will Denny
| | MVP - Windows Shell/User
| | Please reply to the News Groups
| |
| |
| | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
| in message
| | >I love AOL, they send me a dozen or so very nice CD
| holders
| | > every year. The CDs make nice sparkles in the
| microwave.
| | >
| | > Format and reinstall Windows.
| | >

| | > "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
| | > |
| you
| | > get rid of their
| each
| | > other!!
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| new
| | > system. There's no
| Same
| | > thing for Netscape.

| | > |
| | > |

| |
| |

Jim Macklin wrote:
> Have you seen their new CD cases, clear semi-flexible
> plastic with a hinged CD holder inside.
>
> But what can you do with those metal boxes, they're too
> small for most uses.

> > Good for you Jim. I agree, get rid of AOL, and reinstall Windows.
> > Then try another ISP ASAP!!
> >
> > --
> >
> > Will Denny
> > MVP - Windows Shell/User
> > Please reply to the News Groups
> >

> > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in
> > message news:uSnLQFrmEHA.3428@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > > I love AOL, they send me a dozen or so very nice CD holders
> > > every year. The CDs make nice sparkles in the microwave.
> > >
> > > Format and reinstall Windows.
> > >

> > > "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message

> Same
> > > thing for Netscape.

I use them to mail CD or DVDs. I do wrap them in plain brown
paper, first, though.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH

They're steel, $20 a ton, not worth even a penny each and
you'd spend more on gas to take them to a buyer. Maybe
they'll make nice napkin holders or candy dishes?

"Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.org> wrote in message
| Perhaps a local recyle company will pay you for them?
|
| Tom
in message
|| Have you seen their new CD cases, clear semi-flexible
|| plastic with a hinged CD holder inside.
|| But what can you do with those metal boxes, they're too
|| small for most uses.
|| "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
|| | Good for you Jim. I agree, get rid of AOL, and
reinstall
|| Windows. Then try
|| | another ISP ASAP!!
|| |
|| | --
|| |
|| | Will Denny
|| | MVP - Windows Shell/User
|| | Please reply to the News Groups
|| |
|| |
|| | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
|| in message
|| holders
|| microwave.

|| | > |
help
|| you
|| each
|| | > |
|| | > |
|| | > |
|| | > |
brand
|| new
|| Same

|| | > |
|| | > |

|| |
|| |

I strip all the AOL stickers.

"Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in
message news:OQ7jvDsmEHA.3756@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
| Jim Macklin wrote:
| > Have you seen their new CD cases, clear semi-flexible
| > plastic with a hinged CD holder inside.
| >
| > But what can you do with those metal boxes, they're too
| > small for most uses.
| >

| > "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
| > > Good for you Jim. I agree, get rid of AOL, and
reinstall Windows.
| > > Then try another ISP ASAP!!
| > >
| > > --
| > >
| > > Will Denny
| > > MVP - Windows Shell/User
| > > Please reply to the News Groups
| > >

| > > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote in
| > > message news:uSnLQFrmEHA.3428@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
holders
microwave.

help you get
are as bad

message
brand new
Just taking up
| > Same
|

| I use them to mail CD or DVDs. I do wrap them in plain
brown
| paper, first, though.
|
| --
|
| Bruce Chambers
|
| Help us help you:
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
|
| You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever
count on
| having
| both at once. - RAH

No, I haven't seen those. The last CD I had posted to me was about 12
months ago. After that I sent them a very nasty email. Haven't seen an AOL
CD since then!!

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

> Have you seen their new CD cases, clear semi-flexible
> plastic with a hinged CD holder inside.
>
> But what can you do with those metal boxes, they're too
> small for most uses.

> | Good for you Jim. I agree, get rid of AOL, and reinstall
> Windows. Then try
> | another ISP ASAP!!
> |
> | --
> |
> | Will Denny
> | MVP - Windows Shell/User
> | Please reply to the News Groups
> |

> | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
> in message
> | >I love AOL, they send me a dozen or so very nice CD
> holders
> | > every year. The CDs make nice sparkles in the
> microwave.
> | >
> | > Format and reinstall Windows.
> | >

> | > "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
> | > |
> you
> | > get rid of their
> each
> | > other!!
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> new
> | > system. There's no
> Same
> | > thing for Netscape.
> | > | >

> | > |
> | > |

zippy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Why? They make excellent frisbee's and coasters......Save up enough of them
and you can have an anchor for your boat.........

> No, I haven't seen those. The last CD I had posted to me was about 12
> months ago. After that I sent them a very nasty email. Haven't seen an
> AOL CD since then!!
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
>> Have you seen their new CD cases, clear semi-flexible
>> plastic with a hinged CD holder inside.
>>
>> But what can you do with those metal boxes, they're too
>> small for most uses.
>>

>> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> | Good for you Jim. I agree, get rid of AOL, and reinstall
>> Windows. Then try
>> | another ISP ASAP!!
>> |
>> | --
>> |
>> | Will Denny
>> | MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> | Please reply to the News Groups
>> |

>> | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
>> in message
>> holders
>> microwave.

>> | > |
>> you
>> each
>> | > |
>> | > |
>> | > |
>> | > |
>> new
>> Same
>> | > | >

>> | > |
>> | > |

Come on guys.... haven't you ever been to:
http://www.nomoreaolcds.com/
www.coribright.com

> No, I haven't seen those. The last CD I had posted to me was about 12
> months ago. After that I sent them a very nasty email. Haven't seen an
> AOL CD since then!!

What's AOL?

<gd&r>

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
> Come on guys.... haven't you ever been to:
> http://www.nomoreaolcds.com/
> www.coribright.com

>> No, I haven't seen those. The last CD I had posted to me was about 12
>> months ago. After that I sent them a very nasty email. Haven't seen an
>> AOL CD since then!!

I don't want anything from AOL. I don't even like typing the word.

--

"zippy" <zippywonder@nospamearthlink.net> wrote in message
> Why? They make excellent frisbee's and coasters......Save up enough of
> them and you can have an anchor for your boat.........

>> No, I haven't seen those. The last CD I had posted to me was about 12
>> months ago. After that I sent them a very nasty email. Haven't seen an
>> AOL CD since then!!
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
>>> Have you seen their new CD cases, clear semi-flexible
>>> plastic with a hinged CD holder inside.
>>>
>>> But what can you do with those metal boxes, they're too
>>> small for most uses.
>>>

>>> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Windows. Then try

>>> in message
>>> holders
>>> microwave.

>>> | > |
>>> you
>>> each
>>> | > |
>>> | > |
>>> | > |
>>> | > |
>>> new
>>> Same
>>> | > | >

>>> | > |
>>> | > |

Of course - we've all been there!!

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
> Come on guys.... haven't you ever been to:
> http://www.nomoreaolcds.com/
> www.coribright.com

>> No, I haven't seen those. The last CD I had posted to me was about 12
>> months ago. After that I sent them a very nasty email. Haven't seen an
>> AOL CD since then!!

You have not "installed" AOL yet, have you?

If not, just delete the AOL folder. If you did install it, you are in for
some real problems trying to remove this virus!

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Bill Lutts" <b_lutts@charter.net> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me how to remove AOL from my brand new system. There's no
> uninstall that I can find. Just taking up space. Same thing for Netscape.

Boy, have you got that right! I had the AOL free trial, and omg it was THE
worst mistake I ever made, as far as my computer went. Files went 'missing',
I couldn't use some programs AT ALL, 'response from the service is delayed'
kept booting me offline - in the end, I ended up with THREE trojans on my
computer. Had no choice but to wipe and format my hard drive. AOL? NEVER
AGAIN!!