Low System Resources

I keep receiving "Low System Resources" error message, as a result, I can't
close my EXCEL2000. The PC hangs.

Can anyone help to resolve this. Many thanks.
11 answers Last reply
More about system resources

    > I keep receiving "Low System Resources" error message, as a result, I
    can't
    > close my EXCEL2000. The PC hangs.

    How much RAM do you have? And what's the size of your swapfile?

    "zhj23" <zhj23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > I keep receiving "Low System Resources" error message, as a result, I
    can't
    > close my EXCEL2000. The PC hangs.

    You will get better advice on MS Excel or MS Office
    newsgroups. When you post there:
    1. provide details about your CPU and RAM,
    2. tell whether this error is new or always
    occurs when you use this app on this PC.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Tim Slattery <Slattery_T@bls.gov> wrote:

    >WinNT, Win2000, and WinXP don't have this problem. They've eliminated
    >the "System Resources" heaps in favor of a more rational approach.

    Slight correction. Those Windows versions use 32 bit resource heaps,
    which can theoretically be up to 4 gb each in size, rather than the 16
    bit heaps which are limited to 64 kb.

    This difference in resource heaps is one of the reasons why some 16
    bit Windows 3.x apps cannot be used on the NT based versions of
    Windows - the apps were hard coded to use the 16 bit resource heaps.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    There are two kinds of system resources: user and graphic device
    interface resources. They are used for such things as managing input
    from the keyboard and mouse, toolbars, icons, graphics, etc. The
    resources are fixed chunks (64 kb) of memory and are unrelated to the
    amount of Ram that is installed. A PC with 512 mb of ram has the same
    resources available as one with 16 mb.

    If your machine starts getting sluggish, the cursor "hops" or you get a
    resources warning, your resources are too low. Shutting down programs
    that are unneeded may help or a reboot may be required. Certain
    programs are resource hogs and once you identify one as such, limit the
    amount of dual tasking that is done and reboot periodically. Reducing
    the amount of programs started at boot will increase the amount of
    resources you start with. This may keep you from running out so quick.

    To cut back on the number of programs starting at boot, check the
    programs themselves for an option not to load. You might have to double
    click an icon in the tray (others might require a right click) and then
    look for preferences or options. If you cannot find an option, look
    for the program in the following start up points and remove the
    reference to it:

    Start up folder on the start menu, the load= and run= lines in the
    win.ini and these registry run keys (use regedit.exe):

    1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\Run
    2. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\­Run
    3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\RunOnce
    4. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\­RunOnce
    5. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\
    RunServices
    6. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\
    RunServicesOnce
    7. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\
    RunOnce\Setup

    There is a freeware program that makes this process a lot easier to
    manage: Startup Manager,
    http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/startupcpl/

    You can use msconfig.exe, startup tab, to disable programs; however, by
    doing so, you may lessen its value as a troubleshooting tool. There
    might be some double entries in msconfig--leave those for your AntiVirus
    program and load power profile alone as they are required. If you
    disable an entry in msconfig or remove it from the start up point and
    the program loads again after a reboot, that is an indication that you
    missed an option on the program itself. If you don't know what an entry
    is, check here: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "zhj23" <zhj23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I keep receiving "Low System Resources" error message, as a result, I can't
    > close my EXCEL2000. The PC hangs.
    >
    > Can anyone help to resolve this. Many thanks.

    Thanks for all the replies.

    My main problem is associated with an error in EXCEL (I think). It hangs
    when trying to close EXCEL. Subsequently, there is a low resources error
    message. When reboot, the blue screen error " exception OD had occurred at
    039F 00001AA2" appears.

    "zhj23" wrote:

    > I keep receiving "Low System Resources" error message, as a result, I can't
    > close my EXCEL2000. The PC hangs.
    >
    > Can anyone help to resolve this. Many thanks.

    Have you tried reinstalling/repairing Excel?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Thanks for all the replies.
    >
    > My main problem is associated with an error in EXCEL (I think). It
    > hangs
    > when trying to close EXCEL. Subsequently, there is a low resources
    > error
    > message. When reboot, the blue screen error " exception OD had
    > occurred at
    > 039F 00001AA2" appears.
    >
    > "zhj23" wrote:
    >
    >> I keep receiving "Low System Resources" error message, as a result, I
    >> can't
    >> close my EXCEL2000. The PC hangs.
    >>
    >> Can anyone help to resolve this. Many thanks.

    I had even reinstalled the whole Office 2000. Error still persists.

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > Have you tried reinstalling/repairing Excel?
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "zhj23" <zhj23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for all the replies.
    > >
    > > My main problem is associated with an error in EXCEL (I think). It
    > > hangs
    > > when trying to close EXCEL. Subsequently, there is a low resources
    > > error
    > > message. When reboot, the blue screen error " exception OD had
    > > occurred at
    > > 039F 00001AA2" appears.
    > >
    > > "zhj23" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I keep receiving "Low System Resources" error message, as a result, I
    > >> can't
    > >> close my EXCEL2000. The PC hangs.
    > >>
    > >> Can anyone help to resolve this. Many thanks.

    See if this discussion on Computing.net helps you
    http://www.computing.net/office/wwwboard/forum/3824.html

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    >I had even reinstalled the whole Office 2000. Error still persists.
    >
    > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    >
    >> Have you tried reinstalling/repairing Excel?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS MVP Shell/User
    >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    >>
    >> "zhj23" <zhj23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks for all the replies.
    >> >
    >> > My main problem is associated with an error in EXCEL (I think). It
    >> > hangs
    >> > when trying to close EXCEL. Subsequently, there is a low resources
    >> > error
    >> > message. When reboot, the blue screen error " exception OD had
    >> > occurred at
    >> > 039F 00001AA2" appears.

    You should also, of course, review the other answers given here, since
    your "low resources" issue may be more general than just Excel, with
    Excel simply being one app that is likely to push a low resources issue
    over the edge.

    You should also read the following articles in order to understand
    Memory and Resources properly.
    http://aumha.org/win4/a/resource.htm
    http://aumha.org/win4/a/memmgmt.htm

    I should explain, here, that Low Resources aren't a problem, only a
    potential problem. It's only when Resources actually hit zero that
    problems arise, programs seem to freeze, etc. But, in fact, even with
    zero Resources, programs still continue to process. The difference is
    that what should take only 5 or 10 seconds ends up taking 5, 15, 25 or
    more *minutes*. I've often run into this condition when processing
    massive databases (including Excel) and if I just go away and do
    something else, it eventually recovers.

    Regardless, I think that link I gave you in the previous post may just
    be the answer you're looking for.
    http://www.computing.net/office/wwwboard/forum/3824.html

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "zhj23" <zhj23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I had even reinstalled the whole Office 2000. Error still persists.
    >
    > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    >
    >> Have you tried reinstalling/repairing Excel?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS MVP Shell/User
    >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    >>
    >> "zhj23" <zhj23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks for all the replies.
    >> >
    >> > My main problem is associated with an error in EXCEL (I think). It
    >> > hangs
    >> > when trying to close EXCEL. Subsequently, there is a low resources
    >> > error
    >> > message. When reboot, the blue screen error " exception OD had
    >> > occurred at
    >> > 039F 00001AA2" appears.

    Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and advice.

    By deleting the *.XLB seems to work.

    Million thanks.

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > You should also, of course, review the other answers given here, since
    > your "low resources" issue may be more general than just Excel, with
    > Excel simply being one app that is likely to push a low resources issue
    > over the edge.
    >
    > You should also read the following articles in order to understand
    > Memory and Resources properly.
    > http://aumha.org/win4/a/resource.htm
    > http://aumha.org/win4/a/memmgmt.htm
    >
    > I should explain, here, that Low Resources aren't a problem, only a
    > potential problem. It's only when Resources actually hit zero that
    > problems arise, programs seem to freeze, etc. But, in fact, even with
    > zero Resources, programs still continue to process. The difference is
    > that what should take only 5 or 10 seconds ends up taking 5, 15, 25 or
    > more *minutes*. I've often run into this condition when processing
    > massive databases (including Excel) and if I just go away and do
    > something else, it eventually recovers.
    >
    > Regardless, I think that link I gave you in the previous post may just
    > be the answer you're looking for.
    > http://www.computing.net/office/wwwboard/forum/3824.html
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "zhj23" <zhj23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I had even reinstalled the whole Office 2000. Error still persists.
    > >
    > > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Have you tried reinstalling/repairing Excel?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Gary S. Terhune
    > >> MS MVP Shell/User
    > >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    > >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    > >>
    > >> "zhj23" <zhj23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Cool! Thanks for the report back. Always helps to know what worked.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and advice.
    >
    > By deleting the *.XLB seems to work.
    >
    > Million thanks.
    >
    > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    >
    >> You should also, of course, review the other answers given here,
    >> since
    >> your "low resources" issue may be more general than just Excel, with
    >> Excel simply being one app that is likely to push a low resources
    >> issue
    >> over the edge.
    >>
    >> You should also read the following articles in order to understand
    >> Memory and Resources properly.
    >> http://aumha.org/win4/a/resource.htm
    >> http://aumha.org/win4/a/memmgmt.htm
    >>
    >> I should explain, here, that Low Resources aren't a problem, only a
    >> potential problem. It's only when Resources actually hit zero that
    >> problems arise, programs seem to freeze, etc. But, in fact, even with
    >> zero Resources, programs still continue to process. The difference is
    >> that what should take only 5 or 10 seconds ends up taking 5, 15, 25
    >> or
    >> more *minutes*. I've often run into this condition when processing
    >> massive databases (including Excel) and if I just go away and do
    >> something else, it eventually recovers.
    >>
    >> Regardless, I think that link I gave you in the previous post may
    >> just
    >> be the answer you're looking for.
    >> http://www.computing.net/office/wwwboard/forum/3824.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS MVP Shell/User
    >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    >>
    >> "zhj23" <zhj23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I had even reinstalled the whole Office 2000. Error still persists.

Microsoft Error Message Windows