Low System Resources

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 26, 2005 12:36:09 PM

I keep receiving "Low System Resources" error message, as a result, I can't
close my EXCEL2000. The PC hangs.

Can anyone help to resolve this. Many thanks.

More about : low system resources

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 3:45:23 PM

> I keep receiving "Low System Resources" error message, as a result, I
can't
> close my EXCEL2000. The PC hangs.

How much RAM do you have? And what's the size of your swapfile?
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 3:47:22 PM

"zhj23" <zhj23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I keep receiving "Low System Resources" error message, as a result, I
can't
> close my EXCEL2000. The PC hangs.

You will get better advice on MS Excel or MS Office
newsgroups. When you post there:
1. provide details about your CPU and RAM,
2. tell whether this error is new or always
occurs when you use this app on this PC.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Tim Slattery <Slattery_T@bls.gov> wrote:

>WinNT, Win2000, and WinXP don't have this problem. They've eliminated
>the "System Resources" heaps in favor of a more rational approach.

Slight correction. Those Windows versions use 32 bit resource heaps,
which can theoretically be up to 4 gb each in size, rather than the 16
bit heaps which are limited to 64 kb.

This difference in resource heaps is one of the reasons why some 16
bit Windows 3.x apps cannot be used on the NT based versions of
Windows - the apps were hard coded to use the 16 bit resource heaps.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 12:04:59 AM

There are two kinds of system resources: user and graphic device
interface resources. They are used for such things as managing input
from the keyboard and mouse, toolbars, icons, graphics, etc. The
resources are fixed chunks (64 kb) of memory and are unrelated to the
amount of Ram that is installed. A PC with 512 mb of ram has the same
resources available as one with 16 mb.

If your machine starts getting sluggish, the cursor "hops" or you get a
resources warning, your resources are too low. Shutting down programs
that are unneeded may help or a reboot may be required. Certain
programs are resource hogs and once you identify one as such, limit the
amount of dual tasking that is done and reboot periodically. Reducing
the amount of programs started at boot will increase the amount of
resources you start with. This may keep you from running out so quick.

To cut back on the number of programs starting at boot, check the
programs themselves for an option not to load. You might have to double
click an icon in the tray (others might require a right click) and then
look for preferences or options. If you cannot find an option, look
for the program in the following start up points and remove the
reference to it:

Start up folder on the start menu, the load= and run= lines in the
win.ini and these registry run keys (use regedit.exe):

1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\Run
2. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\­Run
3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\RunOnce
4. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\­RunOnce
5. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\
RunServices
6. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\
RunServicesOnce
7. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\
RunOnce\Setup

There is a freeware program that makes this process a lot easier to
manage: Startup Manager,
http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/startupcpl/

You can use msconfig.exe, startup tab, to disable programs; however, by
doing so, you may lessen its value as a troubleshooting tool. There
might be some double entries in msconfig--leave those for your AntiVirus
program and load power profile alone as they are required. If you
disable an entry in msconfig or remove it from the start up point and
the program loads again after a reboot, that is an indication that you
missed an option on the program itself. If you don't know what an entry
is, check here: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"zhj23" <zhj23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I keep receiving "Low System Resources" error message, as a result, I can't
> close my EXCEL2000. The PC hangs.
>
> Can anyone help to resolve this. Many thanks.
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 3:41:06 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

My main problem is associated with an error in EXCEL (I think). It hangs
when trying to close EXCEL. Subsequently, there is a low resources error
message. When reboot, the blue screen error " exception OD had occurred at
039F 00001AA2" appears.

"zhj23" wrote:

> I keep receiving "Low System Resources" error message, as a result, I can't
> close my EXCEL2000. The PC hangs.
>
> Can anyone help to resolve this. Many thanks.
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 4:16:48 PM

Have you tried reinstalling/repairing Excel?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Thanks for all the replies.
>
> My main problem is associated with an error in EXCEL (I think). It
> hangs
> when trying to close EXCEL. Subsequently, there is a low resources
> error
> message. When reboot, the blue screen error " exception OD had
> occurred at
> 039F 00001AA2" appears.
>
> "zhj23" wrote:
>
>> I keep receiving "Low System Resources" error message, as a result, I
>> can't
>> close my EXCEL2000. The PC hangs.
>>
>> Can anyone help to resolve this. Many thanks.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 3:56:04 AM

I had even reinstalled the whole Office 2000. Error still persists.

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Have you tried reinstalling/repairing Excel?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "zhj23" <zhj23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for all the replies.
> >
> > My main problem is associated with an error in EXCEL (I think). It
> > hangs
> > when trying to close EXCEL. Subsequently, there is a low resources
> > error
> > message. When reboot, the blue screen error " exception OD had
> > occurred at
> > 039F 00001AA2" appears.
> >
> > "zhj23" wrote:
> >
> >> I keep receiving "Low System Resources" error message, as a result, I
> >> can't
> >> close my EXCEL2000. The PC hangs.
> >>
> >> Can anyone help to resolve this. Many thanks.

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 6:48:31 PM

See if this discussion on Computing.net helps you
http://www.computing.net/office/wwwboard/forum/3824.htm...

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

>I had even reinstalled the whole Office 2000. Error still persists.
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
>> Have you tried reinstalling/repairing Excel?
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>> "zhj23" <zhj23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for all the replies.
>> >
>> > My main problem is associated with an error in EXCEL (I think). It
>> > hangs
>> > when trying to close EXCEL. Subsequently, there is a low resources
>> > error
>> > message. When reboot, the blue screen error " exception OD had
>> > occurred at
>> > 039F 00001AA2" appears.

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 6:57:40 PM

You should also, of course, review the other answers given here, since
your "low resources" issue may be more general than just Excel, with
Excel simply being one app that is likely to push a low resources issue
over the edge.

You should also read the following articles in order to understand
Memory and Resources properly.
http://aumha.org/win4/a/resource.htm
http://aumha.org/win4/a/memmgmt.htm

I should explain, here, that Low Resources aren't a problem, only a
potential problem. It's only when Resources actually hit zero that
problems arise, programs seem to freeze, etc. But, in fact, even with
zero Resources, programs still continue to process. The difference is
that what should take only 5 or 10 seconds ends up taking 5, 15, 25 or
more *minutes*. I've often run into this condition when processing
massive databases (including Excel) and if I just go away and do
something else, it eventually recovers.

Regardless, I think that link I gave you in the previous post may just
be the answer you're looking for.
http://www.computing.net/office/wwwboard/forum/3824.htm...

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"zhj23" <zhj23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had even reinstalled the whole Office 2000. Error still persists.
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
>> Have you tried reinstalling/repairing Excel?
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>> "zhj23" <zhj23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for all the replies.
>> >
>> > My main problem is associated with an error in EXCEL (I think). It
>> > hangs
>> > when trying to close EXCEL. Subsequently, there is a low resources
>> > error
>> > message. When reboot, the blue screen error " exception OD had
>> > occurred at
>> > 039F 00001AA2" appears.

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 10:51:09 AM

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and advice.

By deleting the *.XLB seems to work.

Million thanks.

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> You should also, of course, review the other answers given here, since
> your "low resources" issue may be more general than just Excel, with
> Excel simply being one app that is likely to push a low resources issue
> over the edge.
>
> You should also read the following articles in order to understand
> Memory and Resources properly.
> http://aumha.org/win4/a/resource.htm
> http://aumha.org/win4/a/memmgmt.htm
>
> I should explain, here, that Low Resources aren't a problem, only a
> potential problem. It's only when Resources actually hit zero that
> problems arise, programs seem to freeze, etc. But, in fact, even with
> zero Resources, programs still continue to process. The difference is
> that what should take only 5 or 10 seconds ends up taking 5, 15, 25 or
> more *minutes*. I've often run into this condition when processing
> massive databases (including Excel) and if I just go away and do
> something else, it eventually recovers.
>
> Regardless, I think that link I gave you in the previous post may just
> be the answer you're looking for.
> http://www.computing.net/office/wwwboard/forum/3824.htm...
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "zhj23" <zhj23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had even reinstalled the whole Office 2000. Error still persists.
> >
> > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
> >
> >> Have you tried reinstalling/repairing Excel?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gary S. Terhune
> >> MS MVP Shell/User
> >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> >>
> >> "zhj23" <zhj23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 12:10:02 PM

Cool! Thanks for the report back. Always helps to know what worked.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

!