CAB file extraction

Greetings all,

How can I extract specific files from a Windows 98 CAB file (folder) whilst
working in DOS (Windows not running).
Please give directions to a DOS newsgroup if this question is offside in
this place.

Rednelle
7 answers Last reply
More about file extraction

    > How can I extract specific files from a Windows 98 CAB file (folder)
    whilst
    > working in DOS (Windows not running).

    Does Safe Mode work?

    HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=129605

    The instructions for Win98 do not include specifics for extracting from
    a DOS prompt (what you get when you choose "Command Prompt Only" from
    the Startup menu, or you choose "Restart in MS-DOS Mode" from the
    Shutdown menu.) What's described is how to use a Windows floppy Startup
    disk. In that case, you simply type EXT, then press <Enter> and then
    follow instructions. I'm not sure that works from a normal DOS prompt
    (not using floppy), but it's worth a try.

    If EXT doesn't work from a standard DOS prompt (C:\>) then try this:

    EXTRACT /?

    There's a space before the /?. This will give you the possible
    parameters for the EXTRACT utility.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Rednelle" <rednelle31@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > How can I extract specific files from a Windows 98 CAB file (folder)
    > whilst
    > working in DOS (Windows not running).
    > Please give directions to a DOS newsgroup if this question is offside
    > in
    > this place.
    >
    > Rednelle

    C:\>ext/?
    Bad command or file name

    C:\>ext
    Bad command or file name

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    | HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files
    | http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=129605
    |
    | The instructions for Win98 do not include specifics for extracting
    from
    | a DOS prompt (what you get when you choose "Command Prompt Only" from
    | the Startup menu, or you choose "Restart in MS-DOS Mode" from the
    | Shutdown menu.) What's described is how to use a Windows floppy
    Startup
    | disk. In that case, you simply type EXT, then press <Enter> and then
    | follow instructions. I'm not sure that works from a normal DOS prompt
    | (not using floppy), but it's worth a try.
    |
    | If EXT doesn't work from a standard DOS prompt (C:\>) then try this:
    |
    | EXTRACT /?
    |
    | There's a space before the /?. This will give you the possible
    | parameters for the EXTRACT utility.
    |
    | --
    | Gary S. Terhune
    | MS MVP Shell/User
    | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    |
    | "Rednelle" <rednelle31@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    | > Greetings all,
    | >
    | > How can I extract specific files from a Windows 98 CAB file (folder)
    | > whilst
    | > working in DOS (Windows not running).
    | > Please give directions to a DOS newsgroup if this question is
    offside
    | > in
    | > this place.
    | >
    | > Rednelle

    As jkb intimates, it is better to use SFC in Safe Mode. SFC knows where
    to put most files it extracts. Hold F5 or CTRL as you boot to see
    whether you can get to Safe Mode.

    As Terhune said, try "EXTRACT /?" for it's options. When using EXTRACT,
    you definitely need to know where to put the file that is extracted. For
    instance...

    KERNEL32.DLL belongs in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

    If it comes to reinstalling it, that is old enough never to have been
    Windows Updated. Therefore it will be fine right out of the .cabs.

    Here is how to do it in DOS...

    (a) DIR /s /a C:\KERNEL32.DLL
    Will say whether you have it, & where it is. Should be in
    "C:\Windows\System"

    C:\>DIR /s /a C:\KERNEL32.DLL
    Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
    KERNEL32 DLL 471,040 04-23-99 10:22p KERNEL32.DLL
    1 file(s) 471,040 bytes

    (b)
    "EXTRACT /a /L C:\Windows\System <LOC>\Base4.cab Kernel32.dll"

    That is all one line between the quotes with 5 spaces, but do not enter
    the quotes. It will offer to overwite, if one is already there.

    <LOC> is the location of "Base4.cab". This may be discovered as
    follows...

    C:\>DIR /s /a C:\base4.cab
    Directory of C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS
    BASE4 CAB 168,960 04-23-99 10:22p BASE4.CAB
    1 file(s) 168,960 bytes

    If you have the .cabs on a CD, you will use your CD-ROM drive letter,
    instead of "C:\" in that DIR command.

    So, in my case, the command is...

    "EXTRACT /a /L C:\Windows\System C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\Base4.cab
    Kernel32.dll"

    All one line: no quotes: there are 5 spaces in the line, including one
    after "Base4.cab".

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "Rednelle" <rednelle31@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    | Greetings all,
    |
    | How can I extract specific files from a Windows 98 CAB file (folder)
    whilst
    | working in DOS (Windows not running).
    | Please give directions to a DOS newsgroup if this question is offside
    in
    | this place.
    |
    | Rednelle

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:49:49 +0000 (UTC), "Rednelle"
    <rednelle31@btinternet.com> wrote:

    >Greetings all,
    >
    >How can I extract specific files from a Windows 98 CAB file (folder) whilst
    >working in DOS (Windows not running).
    >Please give directions to a DOS newsgroup if this question is offside in
    >this place.
    >
    >Rednelle

    The easy way is what Gary suggested. Boot with a Win98 Startup
    diskette with CDrom support and enter EXT. Answer the prompts. This
    will not work with a Startup diskette made from the Fat32ebd.exe
    file on the CD as it does not contain EXT and Extract or create a
    Ram drive where EXT.exe and Extract.exe and other Dos utilities are
    installed. EXT.exe must be in the same folder as Extract.exe in
    order to work. You can copy the two files from the \tools\oldmsdos
    folder on the CD to the root and run EXT from a Dos prompt.

    If you are extracting from CAB files in a folder on the HDD look in
    the folder for the first CAB file then enter:
    Example:
    EXT <firstname>.cab
    Follow the prompts. It should search all the CAB files.

    Regards,

    Bill Watt
    Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

    Thanks to all who responded to my post.

    Rednelle

    "Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:49:49 +0000 (UTC), "Rednelle"
    > <rednelle31@btinternet.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Greetings all,
    > >
    > >How can I extract specific files from a Windows 98 CAB file (folder)
    whilst
    > >working in DOS (Windows not running).
    > >Please give directions to a DOS newsgroup if this question is offside in
    > >this place.
    > >
    > >Rednelle
    >
    > The easy way is what Gary suggested. Boot with a Win98 Startup
    > diskette with CDrom support and enter EXT. Answer the prompts. This
    > will not work with a Startup diskette made from the Fat32ebd.exe
    > file on the CD as it does not contain EXT and Extract or create a
    > Ram drive where EXT.exe and Extract.exe and other Dos utilities are
    > installed. EXT.exe must be in the same folder as Extract.exe in
    > order to work. You can copy the two files from the \tools\oldmsdos
    > folder on the CD to the root and run EXT from a Dos prompt.
    >
    > If you are extracting from CAB files in a folder on the HDD look in
    > the folder for the first CAB file then enter:
    > Example:
    > EXT <firstname>.cab
    > Follow the prompts. It should search all the CAB files.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Bill Watt
    > Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

    You are welcome. Keep us informed.

    --
    | Thanks to all who responded to my post.
    |
    | Rednelle
    |

    | "Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message
    | > On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:49:49 +0000 (UTC), "Rednelle"
    | > <rednelle31@btinternet.com> wrote:
    | >
    | > >Greetings all,
    | > >
    | > >How can I extract specific files from a Windows 98 CAB file
    (folder)
    | whilst
    | > >working in DOS (Windows not running).
    | > >Please give directions to a DOS newsgroup if this question is
    offside in
    | > >this place.
    | > >
    | > >Rednelle
    | >
    | > The easy way is what Gary suggested. Boot with a Win98 Startup
    | > diskette with CDrom support and enter EXT. Answer the prompts. This
    | > will not work with a Startup diskette made from the Fat32ebd.exe
    | > file on the CD as it does not contain EXT and Extract or create a
    | > Ram drive where EXT.exe and Extract.exe and other Dos utilities are
    | > installed. EXT.exe must be in the same folder as Extract.exe in
    | > order to work. You can copy the two files from the \tools\oldmsdos
    | > folder on the CD to the root and run EXT from a Dos prompt.
    | >
    | > If you are extracting from CAB files in a folder on the HDD look in
    | > the folder for the first CAB file then enter:
    | > Example:
    | > EXT <firstname>.cab
    | > Follow the prompts. It should search all the CAB files.
    | >
    | > Regards,
    | >
    | > Bill Watt
    | > Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

Windows 98 DOS Microsoft Windows