CAB file extraction

Greetings all,

How can I extract specific files from a Windows 98 CAB file (folder) whilst
working in DOS (Windows not running).
Please give directions to a DOS newsgroup if this question is offside in
this place.

Rednelle

> How can I extract specific files from a Windows 98 CAB file (folder)
whilst
> working in DOS (Windows not running).

Does Safe Mode work?

HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=129605

The instructions for Win98 do not include specifics for extracting from
a DOS prompt (what you get when you choose "Command Prompt Only" from
the Startup menu, or you choose "Restart in MS-DOS Mode" from the
Shutdown menu.) What's described is how to use a Windows floppy Startup
disk. In that case, you simply type EXT, then press <Enter> and then
follow instructions. I'm not sure that works from a normal DOS prompt
(not using floppy), but it's worth a try.

If EXT doesn't work from a standard DOS prompt (C:\>) then try this:

EXTRACT /?

There's a space before the /?. This will give you the possible
parameters for the EXTRACT utility.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Rednelle" <rednelle31@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Greetings all,
>
> How can I extract specific files from a Windows 98 CAB file (folder)
> whilst
> working in DOS (Windows not running).
> Please give directions to a DOS newsgroup if this question is offside
> in
> this place.
>
> Rednelle

C:\>ext/?
Bad command or file name

C:\>ext
Bad command or file name

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
| HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files
| http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=129605
|
| The instructions for Win98 do not include specifics for extracting
from
| a DOS prompt (what you get when you choose "Command Prompt Only" from
| the Startup menu, or you choose "Restart in MS-DOS Mode" from the
| Shutdown menu.) What's described is how to use a Windows floppy
Startup
| disk. In that case, you simply type EXT, then press <Enter> and then
| follow instructions. I'm not sure that works from a normal DOS prompt
| (not using floppy), but it's worth a try.
|
| If EXT doesn't work from a standard DOS prompt (C:\>) then try this:
|
| EXTRACT /?
|
| There's a space before the /?. This will give you the possible
| parameters for the EXTRACT utility.
|
| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS MVP Shell/User
| http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
| http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
|
| "Rednelle" <rednelle31@btinternet.com> wrote in message
| > Greetings all,
| >
| > How can I extract specific files from a Windows 98 CAB file (folder)
| > whilst
| > working in DOS (Windows not running).
| > Please give directions to a DOS newsgroup if this question is
offside
| > in
| > this place.
| >
| > Rednelle

As jkb intimates, it is better to use SFC in Safe Mode. SFC knows where
to put most files it extracts. Hold F5 or CTRL as you boot to see
whether you can get to Safe Mode.

As Terhune said, try "EXTRACT /?" for it's options. When using EXTRACT,
you definitely need to know where to put the file that is extracted. For
instance...

KERNEL32.DLL belongs in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

If it comes to reinstalling it, that is old enough never to have been
Windows Updated. Therefore it will be fine right out of the .cabs.

Here is how to do it in DOS...

(a) DIR /s /a C:\KERNEL32.DLL
Will say whether you have it, & where it is. Should be in
"C:\Windows\System"

C:\>DIR /s /a C:\KERNEL32.DLL
Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
KERNEL32 DLL 471,040 04-23-99 10:22p KERNEL32.DLL
1 file(s) 471,040 bytes

(b)
"EXTRACT /a /L C:\Windows\System <LOC>\Base4.cab Kernel32.dll"

That is all one line between the quotes with 5 spaces, but do not enter
the quotes. It will offer to overwite, if one is already there.

<LOC> is the location of "Base4.cab". This may be discovered as
follows...

C:\>DIR /s /a C:\base4.cab
Directory of C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS
BASE4 CAB 168,960 04-23-99 10:22p BASE4.CAB
1 file(s) 168,960 bytes

If you have the .cabs on a CD, you will use your CD-ROM drive letter,
instead of "C:\" in that DIR command.

So, in my case, the command is...

"EXTRACT /a /L C:\Windows\System C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\Base4.cab
Kernel32.dll"

All one line: no quotes: there are 5 spaces in the line, including one
after "Base4.cab".

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"Rednelle" <rednelle31@btinternet.com> wrote in message
| Greetings all,
|
| How can I extract specific files from a Windows 98 CAB file (folder)
whilst
| working in DOS (Windows not running).
| Please give directions to a DOS newsgroup if this question is offside
in
| this place.
|
| Rednelle

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:49:49 +0000 (UTC), "Rednelle"
<rednelle31@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Greetings all,
>
>How can I extract specific files from a Windows 98 CAB file (folder) whilst
>working in DOS (Windows not running).
>Please give directions to a DOS newsgroup if this question is offside in
>this place.
>
>Rednelle

The easy way is what Gary suggested. Boot with a Win98 Startup
diskette with CDrom support and enter EXT. Answer the prompts. This
will not work with a Startup diskette made from the Fat32ebd.exe
file on the CD as it does not contain EXT and Extract or create a
Ram drive where EXT.exe and Extract.exe and other Dos utilities are
installed. EXT.exe must be in the same folder as Extract.exe in
order to work. You can copy the two files from the \tools\oldmsdos
folder on the CD to the root and run EXT from a Dos prompt.

If you are extracting from CAB files in a folder on the HDD look in
the folder for the first CAB file then enter:
Example:
EXT <firstname>.cab
Follow the prompts. It should search all the CAB files.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

Thanks to all who responded to my post.

Rednelle

"Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:49:49 +0000 (UTC), "Rednelle"
> <rednelle31@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> >Greetings all,
> >
> >How can I extract specific files from a Windows 98 CAB file (folder)
whilst
> >working in DOS (Windows not running).
> >Please give directions to a DOS newsgroup if this question is offside in
> >this place.
> >
> >Rednelle
>
> The easy way is what Gary suggested. Boot with a Win98 Startup
> diskette with CDrom support and enter EXT. Answer the prompts. This
> will not work with a Startup diskette made from the Fat32ebd.exe
> file on the CD as it does not contain EXT and Extract or create a
> Ram drive where EXT.exe and Extract.exe and other Dos utilities are
> installed. EXT.exe must be in the same folder as Extract.exe in
> order to work. You can copy the two files from the \tools\oldmsdos
> folder on the CD to the root and run EXT from a Dos prompt.
>
> If you are extracting from CAB files in a folder on the HDD look in
> the folder for the first CAB file then enter:
> Example:
> EXT <firstname>.cab
> Follow the prompts. It should search all the CAB files.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill Watt
> Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

You are welcome. Keep us informed.