unusual cause of display problem?

I really need some advice and help please.

I am using W98SE, Pentium 111(500mhz), 512Mb ram with 12Gb free space on my
hard drive. Some time ago, I downloaded an updated driver for my display
adapter (the ATI Rage 128 VR SD AGP). It was the ATI WMER1284137192 (AKA as
the Xpert/Xpert 2000 adaptor which ATI recommended for W98SE and users of
Rage128 - Std or Pro. Everything worked like a dream.

Then about 7 days ago, a problem. I was not at the PC when it happened but
apparently, whilst on the net, there was apparently "a Java something" and
"a kernel something error" one after the other, resulting in a shutdown. I
restarted in safe mode, disabled AVG and Zone Alarms, and then ran
AdAwareSE, CWShredder, SpyBot, CCleaner, PCBugDoctor , also SpyBlaster.
Then Scan Disk and Defrag. Then repaired IE6. Everything was OK. Just one
problem when I did all of this, my Enditall program froze when closing
programs for Scan Disk and Defrag. I then rebooted. To cut a saga short, I
have been unable to move the display settings from 640x480 since that time.
I have deleted and re-installed the driver on 5 occasions and tried
different settings for the Graphics Accelerator. I also tried the previous
driver and others, again on several occasions with the same result. I have
re-installed DirectX and also replaced the kernel.dll file with a new copy.
I have checked to ensure that the ddraw.dll file is the same version as
DirectX. I have also tried many other things.

Some clues which may or may not help.
1. None of the Windows or DirectX troubleshooters will work after the
first page. You click one of the stated problems and the part of the screen
goes white.
2. Enditall program continued to freeze and so I deleted it properly.
3. In Direct X, the Direct3D Acceleration is shown as Not Available
(don't know whether it was before).
4. In Internet Options Advanced, there are checks in the boxes for the
following Java related stuff. "Use JRE 150.0_04 for applet" and also under
MS VM "JIT compiler for vm enabled" I have not attempted to delete or
reinstall any Java stuff because I would not know where to start or what to
do!
5. Compared with a friend's comparable but not identical PC, there are
some differences in the registry as follows, - all under the
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\DISPLAY SETTINGS
His shows "Advanced" "0" ; mine does not show "Advanced"
His shows "Resolution" "1024.768"; mine "640.480"
His shows "SWCursor" "1" ; mine does not show "SWCursor"
Mine shows "Upgradetodefault" "" ; his has no entry like this.

Initially, I was 99.99% certain that it was a driver/DirectX problem. I am
now beginning to wonder if the problem lies elsewhere.

Would appreciate any help from anywhere.

Thanks in advance

Flusters
9 answers Last reply
More about unusual display problem

    When the correct screen resolution (screen area) or the right number of
    colors are not available choices in display properties, settings tab, then
    it is a good bet you do not have the right driver installed for your display
    adapter. Boot to safe mode and in device manager, remove all instances of
    the display adapter. Reboot and when the display adapter is detected, get
    ready with the driver disk (or whatever you have).
    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "flusters" <flusters@go4.it> wrote in message
> [...]
    > following Java related stuff. "Use JRE 150.0_04 for applet" and also
    > under
    > MS VM "JIT compiler for vm enabled" I have not attempted to delete or
    > reinstall any Java stuff because I would not know where to start or what
    > do!
    > 5. Compared with a friend's comparable but not identical PC, there are
    > some differences in the registry as follows, - all under the
    > HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\DISPLAY SETTINGS
    > His shows "Advanced" "0" ; mine does not show "Advanced"
    > His shows "Resolution" "1024.768"; mine "640.480"
    > His shows "SWCursor" "1" ; mine does not show "SWCursor"
    > Mine shows "Upgradetodefault" "" ; his has no entry like this.
    >
    > Initially, I was 99.99% certain that it was a driver/DirectX problem. I am
    > now beginning to wonder if the problem lies elsewhere.
    >
    > Would appreciate any help from anywhere.

    Ron
    Thanks very much for your suggestions. I understand what you are saying. It
    is entirely logical but unfortunately, I tried this before and have tried
    this again following your exact procedure, with two different drivers and
    the result is as before. I have also downloaded the drivers again and tried
    that.
    This is why I posed the original question, what is causing the problem which
    stops either of the correct drivers allowing the resolution to be changed?
    Could one of the other things e.g. Java, DirectX, missing Help Files, other
    drivers, this or other Registry Settings, have caused the problem and until
    that problem is corrected, the driver will not work properly?
    I am now at the praying stage and hope that you or one of your co-experts
    might shed some light on this.
    Thanks
    Flusters

    "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > MS VM "JIT compiler for vm enabled" I have not attempted to delete or
    > > reinstall any Java stuff because I would not know where to start or what
    > > do!
    > > 5. Compared with a friend's comparable but not identical PC, there
    are
    > > some differences in the registry as follows, - all under the
    > > HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\DISPLAY SETTINGS
    > > His shows "Advanced" "0" ; mine does not show "Advanced"
    > > His shows "Resolution" "1024.768"; mine "640.480"
    > > His shows "SWCursor" "1" ; mine does not show "SWCursor"
    > > Mine shows "Upgradetodefault" "" ; his has no entry like
    this.

    > > Initially, I was 99.99% certain that it was a driver/DirectX problem. I
    am
    > > now beginning to wonder if the problem lies elsewhere.
    > >
    > > Would appreciate any help from anywhere.

    Can it be...?...

    "START button, Run, MSConfig, Advanced button". If checked, then uncheck
    "VGA 640x480x16", & reboot.

    Did you use Enditall to close Scandisk & Defrag? That could be bad. But
    how could both have been running at the same time?

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
> [...]
    or what
    | > > do!
    | > > 5. Compared with a friend's comparable but not identical PC,
    there
    | are
    | > > some differences in the registry as follows, - all under the
    | > > HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\DISPLAY SETTINGS
    | > > His shows "Advanced" "0" ; mine does not show
    "Advanced"
    | > > His shows "Resolution" "1024.768"; mine "640.480"
    | > > His shows "SWCursor" "1" ; mine does not show
    "SWCursor"
    | > > Mine shows "Upgradetodefault" "" ; his has no entry
    like
    | this.
    | > >
    | > > Initially, I was 99.99% certain that it was a driver/DirectX
    problem. I
    | am
    | > > now beginning to wonder if the problem lies elsewhere.
    | > >
    | > > Would appreciate any help from anywhere.

    PCR

    Thank you, thank you, thank you. Without your first suggestion, I would have
    remained in the dark and the mystery unsolved. Following it through has
    produced a result!

    On MSConfig, Advanced button, the "VGA 640x480x16" box was not only checked
    but greyed out, so that it could not be changed on that screen. I rechecked
    on Control Panel>System>Display and my correct driver was shown as working.
    (The same was true of each time that I tried a different driver, the new
    driver was shown and shown as working on this screen as well as
    Display>Settings>Advanced>Adaptor.)

    So I checked the sys.ini screen under Boot and sure enough the display
    driver was vga.drv. I changed this to pnpdrvr.drv. Saved and rebooted. After
    reboot, the VGA 640x480x16 check on the advanced screen had disappeared and
    was not greyed out. This allowed the "new" driver which had been shown as
    working to actually work and I my screen dimensions are fine now.

    I have just been told that if I had not changed the sys.ini setting for
    this, I would have continued forever with 640x480!! It might be sensible to
    add this to your list of possible answers for others who have spent days in
    safe mode deleting different drivers without any success.

    Re Enditall, no I used it for years to close programs prior to running
    Scandisk and Defrag. It is now deleted, so does any one know of a utility
    which will close running programs?

    One last point. After this was resolved, I got a/the java error message!!
    The first lines said

    "An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
    #
    # EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x6d00d6c3, pid=-192067,
    tid=4294427629
    #
    # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_04-b05 mixed mode)
    # Problematic frame:
    # C [AWT.DLL+0xd6c3]
    #"

    I don't want to annoy anyone by posting to this group, so unless the above
    is obvious to anyone, I think I should post the whole (long) error message
    to a Java VM group so that I know what or what not to do.

    Anyway, I am most grateful to you and also Ron for your help and guidance.

    Flusters

> [...]
    > | I am now at the praying stage and hope that you or one of your
    > co-experts
    > | might shed some light on this.
    > | Thanks
    > | Flusters
    > |
    > | "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
    > | > When the correct screen resolution (screen area) or the right number
    > of
    > | > colors are not available choices in display properties, settings
    > tab, then
    > | > it is a good bet you do not have the right driver installed for your
    > | display
    > | > adapter. Boot to safe mode and in device manager, remove all
    > instances of
    > | > the display adapter. Reboot and when the display adapter is
    > detected, get
    > | > ready with the driver disk (or whatever you have).

    You are welcome. That's "System.ini, [Boot] section", where, yea, mine
    reads: "display.drv=pnpdrvr.drv". And I'll try to keep this in mind for
    the next victim, OK. Hmmm, you say you are ATI Rage? Is that the same
    as...?...

    • "Fatal Exception 0D" Using ATI All-in-Wonder Pro Video Adapter
    (192803) - After you install the ATI All-In-Wonder Pro video adapter
    drivers version 5.0 or later provided by ATI, you may receive the
    following error message on a blue screen: A Fatal Exception 0D has
    occurred. Press any key to continue. This behavior can...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192803

    It seems some display adapter installations do require one to play with
    that line. However, let it be, now that all seems OK. Anyhow, the
    article does not suspect you were originally "vga.drv". I'm thinking
    perhaps one day you turned off PNP (Plug & Play), & it was that which
    set you to "vga.drv". Or can it be it happens when one chooses "Standard
    VGA" for one's display adapter? Then, reinstalling your ATI Rage should
    have set it back, but it needed a little help apparently to do so. Glad
    you are well.

    Maybe start a new thread on the JAVA question.

    --
> [...]
    | > and
    | > | the result is as before. I have also downloaded the drivers again
    and
    | > tried
    | > | that.
    | > | This is why I posed the original question, what is causing the
    problem
    | > which
    | > | stops either of the correct drivers allowing the resolution to be
    | > changed?
    | > | Could one of the other things e.g. Java, DirectX, missing Help
    Files,
    | > other
    | > | drivers, this or other Registry Settings, have caused the problem
    and
    | > until
    | > | that problem is corrected, the driver will not work properly?
    | > | I am now at the praying stage and hope that you or one of your
    | > |
    | > | "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
    | > of
    | > tab, then
    | > | display
    | > instances of
    | > detected, get

    | > space on
    | > display
    | > WMER1284137192 (AKA
    | > users
    | > | of

    | > happened
    | > | but
    | > something"
    | > | and
    | > shutdown.
    | > SpyBlaster.
    OK.
    | > Just
    | > | one
    | > closing
    | > short,
    | > that
    | > tried
    | > result. I
    | > | have
    | > new
    | > version as

    | > after the
    | > the
    | > properly.
    | > Available
    | > for
    | > | the
    | > also
    | > or
    | > or what
    PC,
    | > there
    | > | are
    | > "Advanced"
    | > "SWCursor"
    entry
    | > like
    | > | this.

    | > problem. I
    | > | am

    | > |
    | > |

    No it is not the same ATI adapter - the first was the ATI Rage 128 VR AGP
    (supplied by Gateway), the second the ATI Xpert99/Xpert 2000 supplied by
    ATI.

    The cause will be a mystery as will why it refused to move. All we know for
    a fact is that everything had been perfect until the problem started after
    the two consecutive "kernel and Java" error messages and subsequent crash
    when using IE6.

    Have posted the Java message to the Java VM site but awaiting a response.

    Thanks again

    Flusters
> [...]
    > | # C [AWT.DLL+0xd6c3]
    > | #"
    > |
    > | I don't want to annoy anyone by posting to this group, so unless the
    > above
    > | is obvious to anyone, I think I should post the whole (long) error
    > message
    > | to a Java VM group so that I know what or what not to do.
    > |
    > | Anyway, I am most grateful to you and also Ron for your help and
    > guidance.
    > |
    > | Flusters
    > |

    > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    > | > Can it be...?...
    > | >
    > | > "START button, Run, MSConfig, Advanced button". If checked, then
    > uncheck
    > | > "VGA 640x480x16", & reboot.
    > | >
    > | > Did you use Enditall to close Scandisk & Defrag? That could be bad.
    > But
    > | > how could both have been running at the same time?

    Well, anyway, I have read that the display adapter needs special
    attention to reinstall. It shouldn't simply be removed in Device
    Manager, but it first must be set to Standard VGA, thus... (but don't go
    playing with it now)...

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=127139
    Troubleshooting Video Problems in Windows

    "START, Run, MSConfig, Advanced button". If checked, then uncheck "VGA
    640x480x16", & reboot.

    "Control Panel, Display, Settings tab". Select as you wish from the
    Colors dropdown menu & the Size slider. Really, you should need nothing
    higher than "High Color (16 bit)", for speed/resource considerations.

    If you move the Screen Area slider to 1024x768 there, be sure to click
    the Advanced button, & select Large fonts.

    Try to get your colors/size at least twice that way. If it continues to
    fail, you may need to reinstall your Monitor or Display Adapter...

    For the Monitor...
    (1) Boot to Safe Mode
    (Hold F5 as you boot or CTRL for the Startup Menu)
    (2) "START, Settings, Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab"
    (3) Open the Monitors branch, & Remove all entries.

    Perhaps, FIRST, even in Normal Mode, note what is installed
    similar to below for the Adapter. That is...
    (a) D-Clk the monitor there for Properties, Driver tab.
    (b) Click the Update Driver button, then "Next".
    (c) Bolt "Display a list...", & click "Next".
    (d) Bolt "Show all hardware".
    Examine the two panes to see what is currently installed.
    That is likely what you wish to end up with, after step (4).

    (4) Boot to Normal Mode.

    Hopefully, it will be rediscovered & installed. Then, if still
    necessary, here is the rigmarole of the Display Adapter...

    .......Quote..........
    The first thing to do is to remove the video adapter you have
    installed. Right-click on the desktop; choose "Properties" from the
    drop-down menu; select "Settings;" click on the "Advanced" button; and
    click on "Adapter". An adapter is a program that tells Windows how to
    deal with a specific video card. Make note of the adapter that is
    currently installed. Then, change the adapter to "Standard Display
    Adapter (VGA)" and restart the system.

    [That is: Click "Change, Next, bolt 'Display a List...', Next, bolt
    'Show all hardware', scroll left pane to top, select '(Standard display
    types)', select 'Standard Display Adapter (VGA)' in right pane, click
    'Next'"... PCR]

    This will remove the current adapter and replace it with a generic VGA
    adapter that works with all video cards. You will not like VGA because
    it supports only 16 colors, but the purpose of installing it is to get
    rid of whatever was there before.

    Next, return to the adapter screen and install an adapter that matches
    your video card. This may or may not be the adapter that you are
    using now. Examine the materials you received with your computer to
    see if they include a CD-ROM or floppy disk that contains the correct
    video adapter. Or go to the Gateway website and see if they have an
    adapter for you to download. Or check the website of the company that
    made your video card.

    Bill Starbuck (MVP)
    .......End....of quote....

    Also...
    ..........Quote................
    To identify your video adapter correctly, download and run either the
    Everest or Aida32 utility, available here:
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php#everest

    Once you have identified the display adapter, go to the manufacturer's
    web site and download the correct driver for you operating
    system....(such as) Windows 98/98SE.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    --
    | No it is not the same ATI adapter - the first was the ATI Rage 128 VR
    AGP
    | (supplied by Gateway), the second the ATI Xpert99/Xpert 2000 supplied
    by
    | ATI.
    |
    | The cause will be a mystery as will why it refused to move. All we
    know for
    | a fact is that everything had been perfect until the problem started
    after
    | the two consecutive "kernel and Java" error messages and subsequent
    crash
    | when using IE6.
    |
    | Have posted the Java message to the Java VM site but awaiting a
    response.

    | Thanks again
    |
    | Flusters
    ....snip

    PCR - thanks again.

    I won't play with it..

    Without boring you with the full details of all the different things tried,
    I used the switch to Standard VGA along the way. I also tried the ATI method
    of deleting the ATI Driver in Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs> Reboot and
    then install new driver.

    Nothing worked until the change to the sys.ini file.

    I will hold all details in case something goes wrong in the future.

    Thanks
    Flusters
> [...]
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "flusters" <flusters@go4.it> wrote in message
    > | No it is not the same ATI adapter - the first was the ATI Rage 128 VR
    > AGP
    > | (supplied by Gateway), the second the ATI Xpert99/Xpert 2000 supplied
    > by
    > | ATI.
    > |
    > | The cause will be a mystery as will why it refused to move. All we
    > know for
    > | a fact is that everything had been perfect until the problem started
    > after
    > | the two consecutive "kernel and Java" error messages and subsequent
    > crash
    > | when using IE6.
    > |
    > | Have posted the Java message to the Java VM site but awaiting a

    Let's hope you don't need to go through it again. That's "System.ini",
    whose settings supposedly were replaced by entries in the Registry.
    However, it apparently does still have settings of importance & should
    never be trifled with. Also, the display adapter can be ornery. I do
    know I've got a slight wobble of the text on my third monitor now. The
    procedure I posted did not cure it.

    --
> [...]
    | >
    | > Once you have identified the display adapter, go to the
    manufacturer's
    | > web site and download the correct driver for you operating
    | > system....(such as) Windows 98/98SE.
    | > --
    | > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    | > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    | > ........EOQ....................
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "flusters" <flusters@go4.it> wrote in message
    | > | No it is not the same ATI adapter - the first was the ATI Rage 128
    VR
    | > AGP
    | > | (supplied by Gateway), the second the ATI Xpert99/Xpert 2000
    | > |
    | > | The cause will be a mystery as will why it refused to move. All we
    | > know for
    | > | a fact is that everything had been perfect until the problem
    started
    | > after
    | > | the two consecutive "kernel and Java" error messages and
    subsequent
    | > crash
    | > | when using IE6.
    | > |
    | > | Have posted the Java message to the Java VM site but awaiting a
    | > response.
    | > |
    | > | Thanks again
    | > |