Hard Drive Deintialized

Two months ago, my hard drive on my windows 98se computer deintialized
following after when the pc power on/off button was pressed twice. I tried
using the recovery disks that came with the computer, but the only option is
to do a format, which I do not want as I wish to keep all the files and data
that I created on my computer saved on the hard drive. I was wondering if
there was a way to restart my hard drive and repair the corrupted files on it
without losing the data on the hard drive. If this means that I need to buy a
Windows 98se cd-rom to perform repair, I am willing to do that.
4 answers Last reply
More about hard drive deintialized

    How big is your hard drive? Do you remember, or can you repeat, the
    error? Details of such errors can go a long way towards diagnosing them.

    How big is your hard drive, and do you recall how much free space it
    has?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "intoeverything90" <intoeverything90@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:F56B5E8A-72B1-495B-A7A4-8E008D238172@microsoft.com...
    > Two months ago, my hard drive on my windows 98se computer deintialized
    > following after when the pc power on/off button was pressed twice. I
    > tried
    > using the recovery disks that came with the computer, but the only
    > option is
    > to do a format, which I do not want as I wish to keep all the files
    > and data
    > that I created on my computer saved on the hard drive. I was wondering
    > if
    > there was a way to restart my hard drive and repair the corrupted
    > files on it
    > without losing the data on the hard drive. If this means that I need
    > to buy a
    > Windows 98se cd-rom to perform repair, I am willing to do that.

    Did the hard drive just not start up?

    "intoeverything90" <intoeverything90@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:F56B5E8A-72B1-495B-A7A4-8E008D238172@microsoft.com...

    > Two months ago, my hard drive on my windows 98se computer deintialized
    > following after when the pc power on/off button was pressed twice. I tried
    > using the recovery disks that came with the computer, but the only option
    is
    > to do a format, which I do not want as I wish to keep all the files and
    data
    > that I created on my computer saved on the hard drive. I was wondering if
    > there was a way to restart my hard drive and repair the corrupted files on
    it
    > without losing the data on the hard drive. If this means that I need to
    buy a
    > Windows 98se cd-rom to perform repair, I am willing to do that.

    After this sort of failure, any operation on a single
    hard drive may do more harm than good. The safest
    course is to instal a new hard drive as C:, instal
    Win98SE to the new C:, add the old drive (which
    becomes D:) and then copy over essential data
    and config. files. You may also get special
    diagnostics from the drive manufacturer that
    may tell you if the drive can be repaired.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Please repost with more information, including the error messages you
    receive when trying to access the drive.

    Ben

    "intoeverything90" <intoeverything90@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F56B5E8A-72B1-495B-A7A4-8E008D238172@microsoft.com...
    > Two months ago, my hard drive on my windows 98se computer deintialized
    > following after when the pc power on/off button was pressed twice. I tried
    > using the recovery disks that came with the computer, but the only option is
    > to do a format, which I do not want as I wish to keep all the files and data
    > that I created on my computer saved on the hard drive. I was wondering if
    > there was a way to restart my hard drive and repair the corrupted files on it
    > without losing the data on the hard drive. If this means that I need to buy a
    > Windows 98se cd-rom to perform repair, I am willing to do that.

Computers Hard Drives Windows 98SE Windows