Realplayer- system tray

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 26, 2005 11:39:55 PM

Why whenever I use the realplayer it ends up in the system tray and loads up
at start up and I have to go to msconfig to uncheck it?
Sol

More about : realplayer system tray

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 11:39:56 PM

Because RealPlayer built it that way. One of the reasons *not* to
install RealPlayer.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Why whenever I use the realplayer it ends up in the system tray and
> loads up
> at start up and I have to go to msconfig to uncheck it?
> Sol

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 11:53:31 PM

Thanks. Now help me solve this problem. I want to keep realplayer because
many programs work only with realplayer.
Sol
> Because RealPlayer built it that way. One of the reasons *not* to
> install RealPlayer.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Why whenever I use the realplayer it ends up in the system tray and
> > loads up
> > at start up and I have to go to msconfig to uncheck it?
> > Sol

July 26, 2005 11:53:32 PM

If I thought it was possible, I would have told you how. My personal
experience suggests that it's a losing battle to try and prevent it. I
just live with it.

--

> Thanks. Now help me solve this problem. I want to keep realplayer
> because
> many programs work only with realplayer.
> Sol
>> Because RealPlayer built it that way. One of the reasons *not* to
>> install RealPlayer.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>> "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Why whenever I use the realplayer it ends up in the system tray and
>> > loads up
>> > at start up and I have to go to msconfig to uncheck it?
>> > Sol

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 1:29:18 AM

What version of RealPlayer?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Why whenever I use the realplayer it ends up in the system tray and loads up
> at start up and I have to go to msconfig to uncheck it?
> Sol

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 1:29:19 AM

Use the older version of Real Player, like version 8. I don't have that
problem here (using the older version).

glee wrote:
> What version of RealPlayer?
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Why whenever I use the realplayer it ends up in the system tray and loads
up
>> at start up and I have to go to msconfig to uncheck it?
>> Sol
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 7:03:40 AM

I run RealPlayer 10.5 on 98SE and it doesn't have an icon in the system try
when running or not running. Maybe I set it that way when I installed it.

"Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Why whenever I use the realplayer it ends up in the system tray and loads
up
> at start up and I have to go to msconfig to uncheck it?
> Sol

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 3:27:04 PM

Solkeys wrote:
> Why whenever I use the realplayer it ends up in the system tray and
> loads up at start up and I have to go to msconfig to uncheck it?
> Sol

First you have to uncheck the places in Options that tell it to start
itself, or it will keep coming back even if you take it out of msconfig it
will still come back.

Importantly you haven't said what version you are using?
...but for instance like with RealPlayer v8 - you would go to the tab of
View> Preferences> General> click the StartCenter..Settings button> ..and
simply uncheck that StartCenter box and then with it out of msconfig it
will not come back or appear in the sys tray again. easy to do.

Rick
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 4:37:25 PM

This is a new problem. I never had it but only lately when I removed and
reinstalled the player.
Solomon
> If I thought it was possible, I would have told you how. My personal
> experience suggests that it's a losing battle to try and prevent it. I
> just live with it.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks. Now help me solve this problem. I want to keep realplayer
> > because
> > many programs work only with realplayer.
> > Sol
> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> Because RealPlayer built it that way. One of the reasons *not* to
> >> install RealPlayer.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gary S. Terhune
> >> MS MVP Shell/User
> >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> >>
> >> "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 4:37:26 PM

As others have suggested, there may be settings changes that you can
make that will disable the function. Or you may wish to install a
different version or Real Alternative (or whatever it's called.)You have
yet to tell us what version of RealPlayer you're using.

My own experience is that regardless of what you do, the function will
eventually get re-enabled. Your mileage may vary.

--

news:o o0p8lskFHA.3828@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> This is a new problem. I never had it but only lately when I removed
> and
> reinstalled the player.
> Solomon
>> If I thought it was possible, I would have told you how. My personal
>> experience suggests that it's a losing battle to try and prevent it.
>> just live with it.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>> "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks. Now help me solve this problem. I want to keep realplayer
>> > because
>> > many programs work only with realplayer.
>> > Sol
>> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 5:51:13 PM

Version 8 Basic
Sol
news:o X8giqkkFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> What version of RealPlayer?
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Why whenever I use the realplayer it ends up in the system tray and
loads up
> > at start up and I have to go to msconfig to uncheck it?
> > Sol

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 5:55:54 PM

I have Version 8 Basic but recently I added some codecs so that I should be
able to work with c-span.I got those codecs from the
newsgroup:http://tinyurl.com/b8a6h and unzip it and place the 2 codecs
Sol
"Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:o r4lJTlkFHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Use the older version of Real Player, like version 8. I don't have that
> problem here (using the older version).
>
> glee wrote:
> > What version of RealPlayer?
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> Why whenever I use the realplayer it ends up in the system tray and
loads
> up
> >> at start up and I have to go to msconfig to uncheck it?
> >> Sol

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 9:21:35 PM

Solkeys wrote:
> Version 8 Basic

I already gave you the easy answer to fix it for v8 - didn't you read my
post? geeeze

Rick
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 12:36:45 AM

I have RealPlayer, (ver 10 at moment) but I have never had a problem
with it in TaskBar. (never had a problem with it full stop, 8 years)
It comes up when I insert an audio cd and plays, no probs there.
I also keep a shortcut to it on my desktop, which allows me to bring it
up for whatever I choose to do with it.
Hope this helps. (plays stuff just fine)

...Rex..

!