IP4000, parallel or USB?

Hi All,

So, I've now got an IP4000 and so far so good ;-)

Q though.

I have at the back of the printer the cables for USB or parallel (left
over from various printers over the ages).

I am currently running it from USB as the quick startup guide (yes I'm
the one that read them) suggested that for W98 USB is the best option?

But, if I wanted to free up the few USB ports that this older mahine
sports, are there any real disadvantages running parallel?

I also have a parallel only ethernet print server that could get
pulled into use later, will that work equally (I'm not sure if it's
unidirectional or not)?

All the best ..

T i m

I do not think you would notice a whole lot of difference.

"T i m" <news@spaced.me.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All,
[..]

> But, if I wanted to free up the few USB ports that this older mahine
> sports, are there any real disadvantages running parallel?

I doubt you've notice any speed difference in the printouts, but I was glad
to get away from the parallel port myself as Windows always slowed down to a
crawl with 100% CPU use while printing through the Parallel port for me.

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 20:02:28 GMT, "Harvey" <harvey@not.ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>"T i m" <news@spaced.me.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>[..]
>>
>> But, if I wanted to free up the few USB ports that this older mahine
>> sports, are there any real disadvantages running parallel?
>>

>I doubt you've notice any speed difference in the printouts, but I was glad
>to get away from the parallel port myself as Windows always slowed down to a
>crawl with 100% CPU use while printing through the Parallel port for me.

Ok, I'll see if I notice any difference (I switched over tonight). I
did have some problems at first (old simplex autoswitch in the line
I'd forgotten about <doh>).

I rarely print anything extensive and may put this printer on an
ethernet print server later so thought I'd test the parallel interface
first. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

BURT

It is really moot as the printer works well either way. USB hubs are
inexpensive and often go on sale with rebates that make them a good buy.
The advantage of a hub (with an extension USB cable) is that it can be close
at hand on your desktop rather than on the cpu tower. I velcro mine to my
monitor and I can easily hot swap cameras, card readers, cell phones, etc.
The older tower cases (if you are on W98 you probably have an older
computer) had the USB ports on the back which made it even more
inconvenient. The good news was that the USB cables were behind the case
and potentially a more esthetic installation. If your USB 2.0 will work
with your CPU you can often buy a very inexpensive four or five hub USB 2.0
internal card. My wife's computer (P III 550) had a modem when we were on a
dialup ISP. That card is no longer necessary as we now have a broadband
connection. I picked up a CompUSA five port USB card for $20 for her
computer and installation is simple as it is "plug and play." As an aside,
I had an Epson printer with both connectors and the parallel connection
became glitchy. USB was very solid.