Sign in with
Your question

help finding Mobo and CPU approx $300 or under.

Last response: in Systems
May 3, 2006 11:59:38 PM

my emachine just crapped out and from what i gather that's just what they are. lasted for 3 yrs though of reliable service except for the last year. i believe the PS and mobo just died. to get it checked by small comp store $50, figured might as well use that to buy better parts.

Looking to replace with an AMD processor of some type. preferrably socket 939 so if i decide to do a future upgrade on the processor it'll be possible. Open to reommendations on mobo, cpu, case(need one), PS, (if you know of a case with a decent PS do tell) also any place i should be looking for these items? i've never done a mobo/cpu install but pretty sure i can do it if i read instrucitons/tutorials.

Umm previous info of my emachine:

it was a T2625.

the cpu on it is a AMD Athlon XP 2600

things i would like to keep from previous setup:

nVidia 5600FX 256 mb 8x AGP (?) not 100% sure if that's what it is i can't remember but i think it is.

115 GB hard drive (came with)
250 GB WD hard drive (i added)

Wireless-G Linksys Adapter (i added)

nec dvd burner-rw+- (i added/replaced)
dvd reader (came with)

kingston 512 mb ram (i added)
generic 512 mb ram (came with)

Charles~

ps. if i missed anything say so plx.

edit:

forgot to include that i'm a casual gamer. usually playing Guildwars. bought the expansion but since comp broke returned it to have money for replacing stuff. also do cpu's come with heatsink and fan usually?
May 4, 2006 12:44:56 AM

Quote:
my emachine just crapped out and from what i gather that's just what they are. lasted for 3 yrs though of reliable service except for the last year. i believe the PS and mobo just died. to get it checked by small comp store $50, figured might as well use that to buy better parts.

Looking to replace with an AMD processor of some type. preferrably socket 939 so if i decide to do a future upgrade on the processor it'll be possible. Open to reommendations on mobo, cpu, case(need one), PS, (if you know of a case with a decent PS do tell) also any place i should be looking for these items? i've never done a mobo/cpu install but pretty sure i can do it if i read instrucitons/tutorials.

Umm previous info of my emachine:

it was a T2625.

the cpu on it is a AMD Athlon XP 2600

things i would like to keep from previous setup:

nVidia 5600FX 256 mb 8x AGP (?) not 100% sure if that's what it is i can't remember but i think it is.

115 GB hard drive (came with)
250 GB WD hard drive (i added)

Wireless-G Linksys Adapter (i added)

nec dvd burner-rw+- (i added/replaced)
dvd reader (came with)

kingston 512 mb ram (i added)
generic 512 mb ram (came with)

Charles~

ps. if i missed anything say so plx.

edit:

forgot to include that i'm a casual gamer. usually playing Guildwars. bought the expansion but since comp broke returned it to have money for replacing stuff. also do cpu's come with heatsink and fan usually?

Hello, fellow Guild Wars player!

Motherboard: AsRock Socket939Dual SATA II $66.00
CPU: AMD Athlon64 3200+ $162.00
RAM- 1GB (2x 512) Corsair- $78.00
Case- your pick get a 350W PSU or higher
May 4, 2006 5:28:44 AM

alright, that sounds good. but i think i might have an extra $100 to spare. any recommendations with a $400 budget for mobo/cpu. and any other rec's for a $300 budget one.
Related resources
a c 471 à CPUs
May 4, 2006 5:52:36 AM

Well, Shadowduck hit the nail on the head with the AsRock Socket939Dual SATA II. It is pretty good for a budget board espeically since it gives you an upgrade path to a PCI-e graphics card in the future.

You can use the extra cash on a more powerful CPU. the Athlon 64 3700+ is $235. That's only $73 more than the Athlon 64 3200+ and will give you a nice boost.

Alternatively, you can use that money towards a better video card since the FX 5600 is a bit dated. Just save up another $50 - $75 for a good GPU.
May 4, 2006 6:03:41 AM

alright thnx, was just waiting for someone to second the mobo. i'll look into the other stuff as well. i take it newegg is a reommended vendor. anyone also use fleabay for parts?
a c 471 à CPUs
May 4, 2006 6:10:55 AM

Quote:
alright thnx, was just waiting for someone to second the mobo. i'll look into the other stuff as well. i take it newegg is a reommended vendor. anyone also use fleabay for parts?

It's always good to read a hardware review on parts you intend to buy. Users recommendations are good to point you in the right direction, but they could also be wrong (GASP!!!!).

Here's a review of the Asrock mobo.

Yes, Newegg.com is a preferred vendor. I've been using them ever since they first went online. I think that was back in 2000/2001.

I used fleabay before to buy things, but I try to avoid doing that. Look for seller with lots of good ratings.
May 4, 2006 7:07:38 AM

another option is to *gasp Go intel and use the 805D. its only bout $130 and is a dual core. Overclock it a bit (not wildly, keep it simple and stable) and use the rest of ya budget for a new video card. Although you'll need ram too. maybe you can sell the remaining stuff ya have to raise the cash. That mobo you get should support alot stronger CPU in the future if ya need it too. The 939 is gonna soon be replaced (2 weeks acutally).

Hide
May 4, 2006 7:59:55 AM

Also consider if you really are trying to save money, to, *gasp*, shop around. The internet is a wonderful thing, and it has things from froogle to pricegrabber on it. But generally, Zipzoomfly.com actually has better prices and free shipping. Its the shipping on NewEgg that really kills you.

DDay
May 4, 2006 5:42:58 PM

*Gasp* Dang I forgot what I was Gasping about
May 4, 2006 8:01:26 PM

Oh all good ideas. so socket 939 is being replaced. what is it going to be replaced by?

Quote:
*gasp Go intel and use the 805D.

if i went the intel route what's a good mobo?

edit:

read a thread on the AM2. considering i'm just more of a casual gamer i believe S939 or whatever the intel equivalent is prollie my best best.
May 4, 2006 10:13:06 PM

so i've got this CASE for $50 from a local pc shop. The power supply is a 24-pin. i'll probably replace it in the future but atm, if it serves its purpose of powering my future setup i'll keep it until i can upgrade.

Either the AMD Athlon 64 3700 or 3200 is what i will be going with. Though i do have a question, on newegg's website they have serveral different listing for a S939 3200. they are all the same right? also do the ones from newegg come with heatsink and fan or will i have to purchase separately?

for the mobo the AsRock one seemed pretty good. i read the reveiw on it and it seems that if i ever did choose to upgrade to the AM2 it's possible w/ this board according to the review on this PAGE.

this will most likely be the setup i go with. if i'm forgetting anything could you tell me plz? and if there are any out there that say intel would be a good way to go i'll listen cuz i'm trying to find the most effcient machine for my buck atm.
May 5, 2006 2:14:29 AM

Get an Abit mobo, they're very reliable, and get a new 1GB of RAM. Make sure they match, it will help your performance.
May 9, 2006 12:04:11 AM

quick question about the AMD processors. what's the difference between the names as in: Venice, San Deigo, ClawJammer?

Btw thnx for everything so far everyone.
a c 471 à CPUs
May 9, 2006 12:17:29 AM

Quote:
quick question about the AMD processors. what's the difference between the names as in: Venice, San Deigo, ClawJammer?

Btw thnx for everything so far everyone.

Clawhammer = Old, 130nm process, runs hotter than 90nm Athlons.

San Diego = 90nm process, runs cooler than Clawhammer, 1MB L2 Cache, SSE3 Extensions (no big deal)

Venice = San Diego, but with only 512KB L2 Cache
May 9, 2006 12:50:14 AM

Quote:
another option is to *gasp Go intel and use the 805D. its only bout $130 and is a dual core. Overclock it a bit (not wildly, keep it simple and stable) and use the rest of ya budget for a new video card. Although you'll need ram too. maybe you can sell the remaining stuff ya have to raise the cash. That mobo you get should support alot stronger CPU in the future if ya need it too. The 939 is gonna soon be replaced (2 weeks acutally).

Hide

*gasp the mobo that will work with conroe is the 975x chipset which costs over 200, and the conroe compatible revision is not out yet, so careful with that rec...
May 9, 2006 1:26:02 AM

Disregard this post. My bad.
May 9, 2006 3:35:49 AM

Quote:

San Diego = 90nm process, runs cooler than Clawhammer, 1MB L2 Cache, SSE3 Extensions (no big deal)

Venice = San Diego, but with only 512KB L2 Cache

So if my brain can do the mather correctly

the San Diego is better than Venice then with a higer L2 Cache? :D 
May 13, 2006 4:18:41 PM

yeah, a little faster than a venice, not a huge difference. the san diegos do overclock better though. overall, id go with the sandy.
May 13, 2006 8:11:45 PM

leave the cpu to what it is and get mobo with integrated grafix then save up some money and get a better video card
a suggestion is the dfi rs482 its pretty good and the integrated is probably equivelant to your agp card
!