Latest MS Website Creation Software Win98 Incompatible?

Hello,

I've been in correspondence with the webmaster for this url:

http://www.alzheimer.wustl.edu/adrc2/

I find that with Win98 SE2 and IE 6.0 (or with my browser of
preference, Mozilla Mozilla 1.7.8) I cannot right click his links and
access the dropdown menu that should allow me to carry out actions like
'save as' etc.

He has responded that he is running Windows Server 200 with the current
version of Windows webserver and he uses Dreamweaver to create the
pages.

There is no problem with Washington University's main web page at:

http://www.wustl.edu/

Has anyone else run into this? Is Redmond interested?

Baumgrenze
20 answers Last reply
More about latest website creation software win98 incompatible

    He also included the following in his source:

    //Disable right click script III- By Renigade (renigade@mediaone.net)
    //For full source code, visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com

    (Followed by code to implement the stated goal.)

    That page is built using all kinds of what I would call "non-standard"
    methods.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "baumgrenze" <baumgrenze@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've been in correspondence with the webmaster for this url:
    >
    > http://www.alzheimer.wustl.edu/adrc2/
    >
    > I find that with Win98 SE2 and IE 6.0 (or with my browser of
    > preference, Mozilla Mozilla 1.7.8) I cannot right click his links and
    > access the dropdown menu that should allow me to carry out actions
    > like
    > 'save as' etc.
    >
    > He has responded that he is running Windows Server 200 with the
    > current
    > version of Windows webserver and he uses Dreamweaver to create the
    > pages.
    >
    > There is no problem with Washington University's main web page at:
    >
    > http://www.wustl.edu/
    >
    > Has anyone else run into this? Is Redmond interested?
    >
    > Baumgrenze

    Why would Redmond be interested in some fool who thinks disabling right
    click will protect content on the web? All disable right click does is piss
    off viewers...doesnt protect anything.

    Rob Giordano (Crash) wrote:

    > Why would Redmond be interested in some fool who thinks disabling
    > right click will protect content on the web? All disable right click
    > does is piss off viewers...doesnt protect anything.

    Have you tried right-clicking while using Micros~1's 'Windows Update'
    website? (For example to copy a '... Read More' link, so you can come
    back to that later. Of course the left-click Popup have the adress-bar
    disabled to further making it hard to copy that adress.) Methinks the
    redmond crowd thinks disabeling the right-click contextmenu is a good
    thing, and that popups are good. :-(

    --
    Please followup in newsgroup.
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    The read more links are javascript or php, they are blank when you copy
    them, and only have a value when the relevant page is on screen,

    1 keeps the links current the,
    2 makes the programming simpler, only 1 form is created and all links are
    updated by the data file as the data file changes, instead of separate html
    pages.
    on a large scale there is 1 display page for 900,000+ kb articles, not 900
    000 pages to display the articles plus the articles themselves plus an
    index(s) of related articles, 900 000 articles indexed by read more, related
    links, prior topics in this thread, prior topics by date, images of the
    problem(some)

    its easier to write php to open a sql database
    and then its even machine independent

    --

    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    "... et al." <look@sig.bcause.this.is.invalid> wrote in message
    > Rob Giordano (Crash) wrote:
    >
    > > Why would Redmond be interested in some fool who thinks disabling
    > > right click will protect content on the web? All disable right click
    > > does is piss off viewers...doesnt protect anything.
    >
    > Have you tried right-clicking while using Micros~1's 'Windows Update'
    > website? (For example to copy a '... Read More' link, so you can come
    > back to that later. Of course the left-click Popup have the adress-bar
    > disabled to further making it hard to copy that adress.) Methinks the
    > redmond crowd thinks disabeling the right-click contextmenu is a good
    > thing, and that popups are good. :-(
    >
    > --
    > Please followup in newsgroup.
    > E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    I couldnt find anything that was not right clickable...even the popups were
    right clickable.

    "... et al." <look@sig.bcause.this.is.invalid> wrote in message
    > Rob Giordano (Crash) wrote:
    >
    >> Why would Redmond be interested in some fool who thinks disabling
    >> right click will protect content on the web? All disable right click
    >> does is piss off viewers...doesnt protect anything.
    >
    > Have you tried right-clicking while using Micros~1's 'Windows Update'
    > website? (For example to copy a '... Read More' link, so you can come
    > back to that later. Of course the left-click Popup have the adress-bar
    > disabled to further making it hard to copy that adress.) Methinks the
    > redmond crowd thinks disabeling the right-click contextmenu is a good
    > thing, and that popups are good. :-(
    >
    > --
    > Please followup in newsgroup.
    > E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    *Most* of the Microsoft sites do not use such techniques. In any case,
    Microsoft's website is essence a special case, and WU is a super-special
    case. I doubt there are any other websites that come close to the
    complexity of Microsoft's, and that increases ten-fold when you start
    talking about WU. Not that I'm claiming that I like all of what they do,
    but really, there's no comparison.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The read more links are javascript or php, they are blank when you
    > copy
    > them, and only have a value when the relevant page is on screen,
    >
    > 1 keeps the links current the,
    > 2 makes the programming simpler, only 1 form is created and all links
    > are
    > updated by the data file as the data file changes, instead of
    > separate html
    > pages.
    > on a large scale there is 1 display page for 900,000+ kb articles, not
    > 900
    > 000 pages to display the articles plus the articles themselves plus an
    > index(s) of related articles, 900 000 articles indexed by read more,
    > related
    > links, prior topics in this thread, prior topics by date, images of
    > the
    > problem(some)
    >
    > its easier to write php to open a sql database
    > and then its even machine independent
    >
    > --
    >
    > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    > spybot http://security.kolla.de
    > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
    > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
    > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
    > Catalog of removal tools (1)
    > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
    > Catalog of removal tools (2)
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages
    > before
    > use
    > Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
    >
    > "... et al." <look@sig.bcause.this.is.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Rob Giordano (Crash) wrote:
    >>
    >> > Why would Redmond be interested in some fool who thinks disabling
    >> > right click will protect content on the web? All disable right
    >> > click
    >> > does is piss off viewers...doesnt protect anything.
    >>
    >> Have you tried right-clicking while using Micros~1's 'Windows Update'
    >> website? (For example to copy a '... Read More' link, so you can come
    >> back to that later. Of course the left-click Popup have the
    >> adress-bar
    >> disabled to further making it hard to copy that adress.) Methinks the
    >> redmond crowd thinks disabeling the right-click contextmenu is a good
    >> thing, and that popups are good. :-(
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please followup in newsgroup.
    >> E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    I couldn't either, all I tried worked. The pop ups were blocked so I
    don't know about those. I used IE 5.5, Netscape 7.2, Opera and
    Firefox, all worked.

    Regards,

    Bill Watt
    Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

    Bill Watt wrote:

    > I couldn't either, all I tried worked. The pop ups were blocked so I
    > don't know about those. I used IE 5.5, Netscape 7.2, Opera and
    > Firefox, all worked.

    How do you get Netscape, Opera and Firefox to use ActiveX, as an ActiveX
    control is neded by that site to scan your computer?

    I get stopped dead when i use Firefox to load
    <http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp>:
    "Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
    To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or
    later." .. and a link for where to download IE.

    > "Rob Giordano \(Crash\)" wrote:
    >
    >>I couldnt find anything that was not right clickable...even the popups were
    >>right clickable.

    Hmm.., in the lists where you Add or Remove things to the Download
    Basket there are short descriptions for each item which ends with a
    clickable 'Read More...', and i could not get the context-menu
    right-clicking on that, and i think i couldn't get the context-menu
    right-clicking anywhere in that list trying to choose 'select all' or
    'save page'.

    All i can say is that i'm glad you two are able to do it. I hope your
    exerience is the common one and mine is the exception, but i doubt it.

    >>>Have you tried right-clicking while using Micros~1's 'Windows Update'
    >>>website? (For example to copy a '... Read More' link, so you can come
    >>>back to that later. Of course the left-click Popup have the adress-bar
    >>>disabled to further making it hard to copy that adress.) Methinks the
    >>>redmond crowd thinks disabeling the right-click contextmenu is a good
    >>>thing, and that popups are good. :-(

    --
    Please followup in newsgroup.
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 05:56:01 GMT, "... et al."
    <look@sig.bcause.this.is.invalid> wrote:

    >Bill Watt wrote:
    >
    >> I couldn't either, all I tried worked. The pop ups were blocked so I
    >> don't know about those. I used IE 5.5, Netscape 7.2, Opera and
    >> Firefox, all worked.
    >
    >How do you get Netscape, Opera and Firefox to use ActiveX, as an ActiveX
    >control is neded by that site to scan your computer?
    >
    >I get stopped dead when i use Firefox to load
    ><http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp>:
    >"Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
    >To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or
    >later." .. and a link for where to download IE.

    Snip

    I went here to try it as that was where the OP was having trouble.
    http://www.alzheimer.wustl.edu/adrc2/

    If I ever used the Update site I would use IE.

    AlmostBob wrote:

    > The read more links are javascript or php, they are blank when you copy
    > them, and only have a value when the relevant page is on screen,
    >
    > 1 keeps the links current the,
    > 2 makes the programming simpler, only 1 form is created and all links are
    > updated by the data file as the data file changes, instead of separate html
    > pages.
    > on a large scale there is 1 display page for 900,000+ kb articles, not 900
    > 000 pages to display the articles plus the articles themselves plus an
    > index(s) of related articles, 900 000 articles indexed by read more, related
    > links, prior topics in this thread, prior topics by date, images of the
    > problem(some)
    >
    > its easier to write php to open a sql database
    > and then its even machine independent

    The previous discussoin is unfortunately auto-purged, but in response to
    you and Gary's followup.

    Yes, i think i understand that the 'Windows Update' website is complex
    and pages built on the fly with information from a large database.

    Rob wrote that he thought /Redmond/ would consider web-site writers that
    disabled the rightclick contextmenu for fools. In respons i pointed out
    out my own experince at one of the /Redmond/ web-sites. Special case or not.

    --

    Bill Watt wrote:

    > "... et al." wrote:
    >
    >>Bill Watt wrote:
    >>
    >>>I couldn't either, all I tried worked. The pop ups were blocked so I
    >>>don't know about those. I used IE 5.5, Netscape 7.2, Opera and
    >>>Firefox, all worked.
    >>
    >>How do you get Netscape, Opera and Firefox to use ActiveX, as an ActiveX
    >>control is neded by that site to scan your computer?
    >>
    >>I get stopped dead when i use Firefox to load
    >><http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp>:
    >>"Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
    >>To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or
    >>later." .. and a link for where to download IE.
    >
    > Snip
    >
    > I went here to try it as that was where the OP was having trouble.
    > http://www.alzheimer.wustl.edu/adrc2/
    >
    > If I ever used the Update site I would use IE.
    >
    > Regards,

    Oh ok, i misunderstood what you were refering to then.
    The same with Rob perhaps?

    --
    Please followup in newsgroup.
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    Yah, used IE to view update site.

    AlmostBob wrote:

    > The read more links are javascript or php, they are blank when you copy
    > them, and only have a value when the relevant page is on screen,
    >
    > 1 keeps the links current the,

    Oh, i forgot to add in my other followup, that i think most ot the 'Read
    More ...' links (for Win98) have have remained static since their
    initial release ... as the links themselves kind of hints at.
    For example for MSXML 4.0 since it was realeased in 2002-feb.:
    <http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/rtf/en/5255.htm>

    Of course that doesn't meant that it wouldn't be easier to update them
    if/when they were to change in the future, but many of them have stayed
    static since 1999, 2000 etc..

    --
    Please followup in newsgroup.
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    This will take us back to where this started.

    Mea culpa (sort of) because IE 6.0 was using Acrobat 4.05 to display
    pdf files.

    I deliberately opened Acrobat Reader 6.0 from the start menu and the
    file the web master sent as an email attachment opened.

    Not mea culpa in that clearly it is now possible to create a pdf
    (PORTABLE DOCUMENT FILE - a 'universal' document format) which Adobe's
    Acrobat 4.05 cannot read.

    Pity.

    Baumgrenze

    That's the fault of the creator who didn't specify to save in a format
    compatible with earlier versions of AcroReader. Of course, those
    compatibility settings are not the default for Acrobat 6, so it's also
    partly Adobe's fault.

    --

    baumgrenze wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've been in correspondence with the webmaster for this url:
    >
    > http://www.alzheimer.wustl.edu/adrc2/
    >
    > I find that with Win98 SE2 and IE 6.0 (or with my browser of
    > preference, Mozilla Mozilla 1.7.8) I cannot right click his links and
    > access the dropdown menu that should allow me to carry out actions like
    > 'save as' etc.
    >
    > He has responded that he is running Windows Server 200 with the current
    > version of Windows webserver and he uses Dreamweaver to create the
    > pages.
    >
    > There is no problem with Washington University's main web page at:
    >
    > http://www.wustl.edu/
    >
    > Has anyone else run into this? Is Redmond interested?
    >
    > Baumgrenze

    disable java and javascript and this may let you use what you want.

    Regarding the 'Read More ...' links at the 'Windows Update' site, and
    why you can't rightclick-copy the links.

    I'm sorry to post a third followup to the same post, but there has been
    something bugging me also about the following part.

    AlmostBob wrote:

    > The read more links are javascript or php, they are blank when you copy
    > them, and only have a value when the relevant page is on screen,

    Don't left- or right-click, just let the pointer glide over these 'Read
    More ...' links, and if you have the 'Status Bar' enabled[1], that you
    can see the link-resource promptly displayed in the Status Bar.
    Alas, they are present in a resolvable form in the page you are looking
    at. So they have a value already and aren't 'blank'.

    "blank when you copy them"? .. Not sure what you mean really, as
    something (a resource-request) surely has to be sent to the web-server
    if you click on the links.

    Notes:
    [1] If you haven't already, you may also have to uncheck the option
    "Please obfuscate what should be shown in the Status Bar with whatever
    bullshit any webpage-writer decides to show you there instead", or
    whatever that advanced option is called.

    --
    Please followup in newsgroup.
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    Or it is partly the strategy of Adobe to force their customers to
    upgrade.

    Baumgrenze

    Why would Adobe care if people upgrade to a newer version of the *free*
    Acrobat Reader? No, it is quite common that documents created in later
    versions of some certain application may either have limited ability to
    be read by earlier versions, or may not be able to be opened at all.

    In your particular case, there were major changes between Acrobat
    versions 4 and Acrobat 5. There have been additional functionalities
    added to versions 6 and 7, but those will still mostly open in Acro 5
    and above (though a few functionalities might not function), whereas the
    changes are so significant between version 4 and later that if you want
    to add v4 (and/or v3) compatibility, you have to save it as such so that
    certain code is added and some things are left out that would cause the
    earlier version to choke.

    This phenomenon is quite common in the computing world, and while your
    cynical suspicion might be justified in some cases, it's mostly a matter
    of engineering--how can I add new functionalities to this application
    without causing earlier versions to choke on the result. It's a major
    challenge and one that is not always easy to meet.

    --

    > Or it is partly the strategy of Adobe to force their customers to
    > upgrade.
    >
    > Baumgrenze

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    In Mozilla preferences under Advanced there is this: Allow scripts to....
    (check-off) Disable or replace context menus. If you leave that unchecked
    you should be OK. No problem here in 1.7.11.

    baumgrenze wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've been in correspondence with the webmaster for this url:
    >
    > http://www.alzheimer.wustl.edu/adrc2/
    >
    > I find that with Win98 SE2 and IE 6.0 (or with my browser of
    > preference, Mozilla Mozilla 1.7.8) I cannot right click his links and
    > access the dropdown menu that should allow me to carry out actions
    > like 'save as' etc.
    >
    > He has responded that he is running Windows Server 200 with the
    > current version of Windows webserver and he uses Dreamweaver to
    > create the pages.
    >
    > There is no problem with Washington University's main web page at:
    >
    > http://www.wustl.edu/
    >
    > Has anyone else run into this? Is Redmond interested?
    >
    > Baumgrenze

Internet Explorer Mozilla Software Windows