Stop boot-up loading of several undesired TSR Programs

I am running Windows 98 First Edition on my HP Pavilion 6465 PC. When I do
“Ctrl+Alt+Del� immediately after boot-up a pop-up window titled “Close
Program� appears which tells me the programs that are running. On my
computer there are 23 programs loaded immediately after the boot-up has
completed. What loads these programs upon boot-up and how do I PERMANENTLY
stop the loading of several of these programs that I don’t need. Removing a
program by way of “Start>Settings>Taskbar & Start Menu>Start Menu
Programs>Remove>(Un-click program)� does not remove the program from the
“Close Program� pop-up window when the computer is rebooted, also many of the
programs don't appear in the Start Menu Programs folder.
5 answers Last reply
More about stop boot loading undesired programs

    The procedure you described deletes shortcuts from the Start and
    Start>Programs menu. It does not uninstall the programs. Use Add/Remove
    Programs in the Control Panel for that.

    The optional startup applications that you are talking about get
    launched from a handful of different places during Startup. Some
    Registry keys, the Win.ini file, the Startup folder in the
    Start>Programs menu, and occasionally other locations..

    You can control much of what gets loaded at startup by using System
    Configuration Utility. Run MSCONFIG from the Start>Run box. You can view
    the list in more detail, including the location of the relevant startup
    command for each item, by running System Information (MSINFO32) and
    looking in "Software Environment" for "Startup Programs". You can also
    copy that list from MSINFO32 by clicking anywhere in the right-hand
    pane, then pressing Ctrl-A, then Ctrl-C. You can then Paste that list
    into a reply message here for comment.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "PSRumbagh" <PSRumbagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am running Windows 98 First Edition on my HP Pavilion 6465 PC. When
    >I do
    > “Ctrl+Alt+Del� immediately after boot-up a pop-up window titled
    > “Close
    > Program� appears which tells me the programs that are running. On
    > my
    > computer there are 23 programs loaded immediately after the boot-up
    > has
    > completed. What loads these programs upon boot-up and how do I
    > PERMANENTLY
    > stop the loading of several of these programs that I don’t need.
    > Removing a
    > program by way of “Start>Settings>Taskbar & Start Menu>Start Menu
    > Programs>Remove>(Un-click program)� does not remove the program from
    > the
    > “Close Program� pop-up window when the computer is rebooted, also
    > many of the
    > programs don't appear in the Start Menu Programs folder.

    If you want to stop programs from loading on boot there are several ways to
    accomplish it:
    You should only use msconfig for troubleshooting problems, although it could be
    used for stubborn programs until you find a way to disable them otherwise.
    Click Start > Run, type in: msconfig and hit enter.
    Click on the Startup tab and uncheck the program you wish to disable.
    If the program adds a new second entry on reboot, then there is probably a way
    in the programs options that will disable it.

    Right click on the programs icon in the systray to see if there is an option to
    disable it from loading on boot.

    Open the program/s in question and check their options to see if they have one
    to disable it from loading on boot.

    Remove any entries from the Startup folder that you do not want to load on boot.

    Uninstall the program you don't want loading if out of other options.

    Look in Start > Run, type in: sysedit and hit enter.
    Click on the win.ini window and see if there is anything after load= or run=,
    these lines are usually blank after the =. Remove anything after the = on those
    lines if you do not want it running.

    Look in the Registry under these keys to either remove the entry or comment it
    out to disable it from loading on boot:
    Start > Run, type in: regedit and hit enter. Navigate to the following keys:
    hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
    hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunOnce
    hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
    hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunOnce
    hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunOnceEx
    hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunServices
    hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunServicesOnce

    Remove the entire entry in a key by right clicking in the right pane on the
    data name in the Name column, click Delete in the popup menu, confirm deletion
    and close regedit.

    Or

    Add REM and a space to the beginning of the data string value by double
    clicking on the data name in the Name column, click once in front of the string
    value so your cursor is at the beginning of the string, type rem, press the
    space bar, click OK and close regedit.

    Always backup the registry before making any changes so that you may import the
    keys back in should anything go wrong. Haphazardly removing keys in the registry
    is very dangerous and can render your system useless. Be 100% sure of what you
    are doing and what you remove can be safely done.

    You can Backup the registry key/s while in regedit: Click on Registry on the
    menu bar while in the registry, click on “Export Registry File.�. Choose a
    location, I recommend saving it to the desktop and it makes it easy to find.
    Place a check next to “Selected Branch� and give the file a memorable name,
    select save, make your changes and close out. If you have no problems after say
    2 weeks, you can delete the exported files.
    If you have problems, double click the reg file on the desktop to import/merge
    it back into the registry.

    Do Not back up the entire registry in the registry editor. Importing it back
    while in windows can be harmful to the machine. A registry backup is created
    each new calendar day a machine is booted.
    If you wish to perform a new backup of the registry after the machine has been
    booted, got to Start > Run, type in: scanregw and hit enter. You will be
    prompted that a registry has already been backed up for the day and do you wish
    to create a new one, click yes.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://basconotw.mvps.org/

    Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "PSRumbagh" <PSRumbagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am running Windows 98 First Edition on my HP Pavilion 6465 PC. When I do
    > “Ctrl+Alt+Del� immediately after boot-up a pop-up window titled “Close
    > Program� appears which tells me the programs that are running. On my
    > computer there are 23 programs loaded immediately after the boot-up has
    > completed. What loads these programs upon boot-up and how do I PERMANENTLY
    > stop the loading of several of these programs that I don’t need. Removing a
    > program by way of “Start>Settings>Taskbar & Start Menu>Start Menu
    > Programs>Remove>(Un-click program)� does not remove the program from the
    > “Close Program� pop-up window when the computer is rebooted, also many of the
    > programs don't appear in the Start Menu Programs folder.

    I'd use msconfig - Startup tab.

    If you have no use at all for the programs, uninstall them from control
    panel, add remove programs. For the ones that you want to keep but not
    start them at boot:

    To cut back on the number of programs starting at boot, check the programs
    themselves for an option not to load. You might have to double click an
    icon in the tray (others might require a right click) and then look for
    preferences or options. If you cannot find an option, look for the program
    in one of the following start up points and remove the reference to it:

    Start up folder on the start menu, the load= and run= lines in the win.ini
    and these registry run keys (use regedit.exe):

    1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\Run
    2. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\­Run
    3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\RunOnce
    4. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\­RunOnce
    5. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\RunServices
    6.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\RunServicesOnce
    7.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\RunOnce\Setup

    There is a freeware program that makes this process a lot easier to
    manage: Startup Manager, http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/startupcpl/

    You can use msconfig.exe, startup tab, to disable programs; however, by
    doing so, you may lessen its value as a troubleshooting tool. There might
    be some double entries in msconfig--leave those for your AntiVirus program
    and load power profile alone as they are required.

    If you disable an entry in msconfig or remove it from the start up point and
    the program loads again after a reboot, that is an indication that you
    missed an option on the program itself. If you don't know what an entry is,
    check here:
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    PSRumbagh wrote:
    > I am running Windows 98 First Edition on my HP Pavilion 6465 PC. When I do
    > "Ctrl+Alt+Del� immediately after boot-up a pop-up window titled "Close
    > Program� appears which tells me the programs that are running. On my
    > computer there are 23 programs loaded immediately after the boot-up has
    > completed. What loads these programs upon boot-up and how do I PERMANENTLY
    > stop the loading of several of these programs that I don't need. Removing a
    > program by way of "Start>Settings>Taskbar & Start Menu>Start Menu
    > Programs>Remove>(Un-click program)� does not remove the program from the
    > "Close Program� pop-up window when the computer is rebooted, also many of the
    > programs don't appear in the Start Menu Programs folder.
    The best way is the go to the programs itself and check the preferences
    tab and look for any startup option. Also run msconfig and uncheck all
    but what you want.I have systray and scanregistry and my firewall and
    antivirus and one MS update on[kb891711]. Everything else don't need to
    start up.Unless you use a power profile turn this off too. I manually
    turn off my monitor when not needed.
    Get more ram memory,this helps when you have or need many programs to
    run at startup.
    The only programs in my close program is Explorer and systray,firewall
    and antivirus.
    Get Process explorer 9x from www.sysinternals.com. This will show
    additional processes. Some are windows background processes like spool
    and ddhelp kernal32 mmtask.
    Get spybot S&D and Ad_aware SE,also get regcleaner. Get these from
    www.majorgeeks.com under spyware and resistry.
    Remember to do the regular disk clean,scan disk and disk defrag[use ME
    Defrag]. Go to http://www.mdgx.com/reg.htm for tweaking ideas. Good luck

Windows 98 Start Menu Boot Windows