switching 98 drive to new system./motherboard.

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
a b V Motherboard
July 28, 2005 8:20:53 AM

I am currently moving my HD and my "extra" hardware (burner, network
card, DVD drive, graphics card ) over to a new system/ motherboard
(that's all that's in the new box) and I've been told by a friend that
re-instaling my OS is a good idea with the move as it can get cranky.

I honestly don't see why.
The drivers for all of my other hardware are giong with me and the
bios should check/deal wth them as well as windows re-orienting itself
the first time I boot up with the new board.

What says anyone else????

Neil

More about : switching drive system motherboard

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 28, 2005 10:57:14 AM

The problem is not with the drivers of all your other hardware but with the
motherboard. If it's not the same as the old one, then you probably need to
reinstall because it will require different drivers than the old one.

You probably don't need to do a clean install, but I'd suggest first
uninstalling Internet Explorer (assuming that it's been upgraded from the
version that shipped with Windows) and then install Windows over the
original and then upgrade Internet Explorer.

PattyL

"Robyn, Duke of Amber" <seraphim@sentex.net> wrote in message

> I am currently moving my HD and my "extra" hardware (burner, network
> card, DVD drive, graphics card ) over to a new system/ motherboard
> (that's all that's in the new box) and I've been told by a friend that
> re-instaling my OS is a good idea with the move as it can get cranky.
>
> I honestly don't see why.
> The drivers for all of my other hardware are giong with me and the
> bios should check/deal wth them as well as windows re-orienting itself
> the first time I boot up with the new board.
>
> What says anyone else????
>

> Neil

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 28, 2005 11:11:04 AM

Yes, you will likely have an unstable system if you do this. It is not
recommended to move a hard drive from one system to another in this manner.

"Robyn, Duke of Amber" <seraphim@sentex.net> wrote in message

> I am currently moving my HD and my "extra" hardware (burner, network
> card, DVD drive, graphics card ) over to a new system/ motherboard
> (that's all that's in the new box) and I've been told by a friend that
> re-instaling my OS is a good idea with the move as it can get cranky.
>
> I honestly don't see why.
> The drivers for all of my other hardware are giong with me and the
> bios should check/deal wth them as well as windows re-orienting itself
> the first time I boot up with the new board.
>
> What says anyone else????
>

> Neil

a b V Motherboard
July 28, 2005 12:47:02 PM

As others have suggested, the move has enough gotchas involved that its
success is questionable. Two major methods are used for this type of
procedure (besides simply reformatting and reinstalling the system from
scratch.)

1. Reinstall Windows over the top of the existing installation. This
method is usually not great since any Windows installation has usually
been updated many times, resulting in a large number of system files
that are newer than those you will be "reinstalling" from the
installation media. There are some safeguards in place, but the result
is that you are left with at least some DLL Hell issues (mismatched
system files, some that are incompatible with others) and other possible
configuration anomalies. The one advantage of this method over the next
one is that the new hardware profile (drivers) is built from scratch, in
particular the "omnibus drivers file" called VMM32.VXD, a package that
Setup builds on the fly to contain all drivers that are found during the
"Detect and Install Hardware" phase.

2. You can also wipe the entire existing Hardware Profile by deleting
the entire ENUM key from the Registry. Best to do this just before
removing the drive from the old system. Otherwise, you want to boot
immediately into Safe Mode on the new system and then use REGEDIT to
delete that ENUM key. Upon rebooting, this will cause Windows to
redetect all hardware and install. Unfortunately, this method can be
quite tricky--getting the right drivers installed in the correct order
is a puzzle that can cause immense frustration, often requiring that you
do the entire procedure more than once. The problem is (and this relates
to your suggestion that most of the drivers would remain the same) that
each bit of hardware has to be installed in the proper order. Very few
devices are stand-alone. Most are installed "onto" another device, which
device has to have already been installed in order for the automatic
configuration chores to properly choose settings and "marry" the
devices. You can't, for instance, install any drives until you have
first installed the motherboard controllers. That's just one of many,
many such cases, and a rather simple one at that. Lastly, even when you
are successful, the result is that many, many drivers in your new system
will not have been built into the VMM32.VXD file, potentially causing
some slower speeds in certain functions, and or continuous "weirdness".

All in all, where you now find yourself is an excellent reason to
reformat and start over. If you're like me, always wanting to know the
hows and whys, you'll perhaps try one or the other (or both) of the
above procedures just to see how it's done and how it turns out, but
you'll eventually reformat and do it right.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Robyn, Duke of Amber" <seraphim@sentex.net> wrote in message

> I am currently moving my HD and my "extra" hardware (burner, network
> card, DVD drive, graphics card ) over to a new system/ motherboard
> (that's all that's in the new box) and I've been told by a friend that
> re-instaling my OS is a good idea with the move as it can get cranky.
>
> I honestly don't see why.
> The drivers for all of my other hardware are giong with me and the
> bios should check/deal wth them as well as windows re-orienting itself
> the first time I boot up with the new board.
>
> What says anyone else????
>

> Neil

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 28, 2005 4:55:22 PM

Robyn, Duke of Amber wrote:
> I am currently moving my HD and my "extra" hardware (burner, network
> card, DVD drive, graphics card ) over to a new system/ motherboard
> (that's all that's in the new box) and I've been told by a friend that
> re-instaling my OS is a good idea with the move as it can get cranky.
>
> I honestly don't see why.
> The drivers for all of my other hardware are giong with me and the
> bios should check/deal wth them as well as windows re-orienting itself
> the first time I boot up with the new board.
>
> What says anyone else????

That's not a good idea, no way.
The only way it is a good idea is if you use 'All' the same identical
hardware but most especially the MotherBoard ..then you can swap HD's
between the two identical computer setups where only a few automatic
changes takes place as it updates the registry to that one HD's component
identity; otherwise if you make mismatched swapping between dissimilar
units - especially! dissimilar MotherBoards like you want to do which is
the worst case scenario, then the time you spend chasing down so many
unforeseen obvious and not so obvious hidden problems... ...well you just
have no idea do you or you wouldn't have asked. ..It is sooo much better,
easier, in the short/long run to do a fresh install it's a no contest - and
the benefits are outstanding, not to mention the piece of mind gained.

Rick

> Neil
July 29, 2005 12:33:15 AM

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 04:20:53 -0400, "Robyn, Duke of Amber" <seraphim@sentex.net>
wrote:

>I am currently moving my HD and my "extra" hardware (burner, network
>card, DVD drive, graphics card ) over to a new system/ motherboard
>(that's all that's in the new box) and I've been told by a friend that
>re-instaling my OS is a good idea with the move as it can get cranky.
>
>I honestly don't see why.
> The drivers for all of my other hardware are giong with me and the
>bios should check/deal wth them as well as windows re-orienting itself
>the first time I boot up with the new board.
>
> What says anyone else????

FWIW, I did a "migration" from box to box recently. I was intending to go the
"proper" route and reinstall (win98SE) but I figured I'd see what happened by
just swapping the two HDD's across.

The new box spent about half an hour finding new things - reminds me of an
Alzheimers sufferer - but survived to run fine.

After the experiment and a week or so bedding down, I did the complete
format/reinstall anyway. By then the registry would have been soooo bloated
that a fresh start was the best thing.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 3, 2005 7:20:07 AM

I'm wondering if using my old chip might make the process more
bearable as well.....
both bords (mine and the more functional one) are currently running a
P3 1 gig chip with the same Ram (512) THEN adding the second 512 meg
after things have unkinked.

Neil

- of course all this is moot if my roomie sells the board I am
getting to someone else for more cash..... why the change..
well, for him nessesity in two words... root canal.

Neil

!