switching 98 drive to new system./motherboard.

I am currently moving my HD and my "extra" hardware (burner, network
card, DVD drive, graphics card ) over to a new system/ motherboard
(that's all that's in the new box) and I've been told by a friend that
re-instaling my OS is a good idea with the move as it can get cranky.

I honestly don't see why.
The drivers for all of my other hardware are giong with me and the
bios should check/deal wth them as well as windows re-orienting itself
the first time I boot up with the new board.

What says anyone else????

Neil
6 answers Last reply
More about switching drive system motherboard

    The problem is not with the drivers of all your other hardware but with the
    motherboard. If it's not the same as the old one, then you probably need to
    reinstall because it will require different drivers than the old one.

    You probably don't need to do a clean install, but I'd suggest first
    uninstalling Internet Explorer (assuming that it's been upgraded from the
    version that shipped with Windows) and then install Windows over the
    original and then upgrade Internet Explorer.

    PattyL

    "Robyn, Duke of Amber" <seraphim@sentex.net> wrote in message

    > I am currently moving my HD and my "extra" hardware (burner, network
    > card, DVD drive, graphics card ) over to a new system/ motherboard
    > (that's all that's in the new box) and I've been told by a friend that
    > re-instaling my OS is a good idea with the move as it can get cranky.
    >
    > I honestly don't see why.
    > The drivers for all of my other hardware are giong with me and the
    > bios should check/deal wth them as well as windows re-orienting itself
    > the first time I boot up with the new board.
    >
    > What says anyone else????
    >

    > Neil

    Yes, you will likely have an unstable system if you do this. It is not
    recommended to move a hard drive from one system to another in this manner.

    "Robyn, Duke of Amber" <seraphim@sentex.net> wrote in message

    > I am currently moving my HD and my "extra" hardware (burner, network
    > card, DVD drive, graphics card ) over to a new system/ motherboard
    > (that's all that's in the new box) and I've been told by a friend that
    > re-instaling my OS is a good idea with the move as it can get cranky.
    >
    > I honestly don't see why.
    > The drivers for all of my other hardware are giong with me and the
    > bios should check/deal wth them as well as windows re-orienting itself
    > the first time I boot up with the new board.
    >
    > What says anyone else????
    >

    > Neil

    As others have suggested, the move has enough gotchas involved that its
    success is questionable. Two major methods are used for this type of
    procedure (besides simply reformatting and reinstalling the system from
    scratch.)

    1. Reinstall Windows over the top of the existing installation. This
    method is usually not great since any Windows installation has usually
    been updated many times, resulting in a large number of system files
    that are newer than those you will be "reinstalling" from the
    installation media. There are some safeguards in place, but the result
    is that you are left with at least some DLL Hell issues (mismatched
    system files, some that are incompatible with others) and other possible
    configuration anomalies. The one advantage of this method over the next
    one is that the new hardware profile (drivers) is built from scratch, in
    particular the "omnibus drivers file" called VMM32.VXD, a package that
    Setup builds on the fly to contain all drivers that are found during the
    "Detect and Install Hardware" phase.

    2. You can also wipe the entire existing Hardware Profile by deleting
    the entire ENUM key from the Registry. Best to do this just before
    removing the drive from the old system. Otherwise, you want to boot
    immediately into Safe Mode on the new system and then use REGEDIT to
    delete that ENUM key. Upon rebooting, this will cause Windows to
    redetect all hardware and install. Unfortunately, this method can be
    quite tricky--getting the right drivers installed in the correct order
    is a puzzle that can cause immense frustration, often requiring that you
    do the entire procedure more than once. The problem is (and this relates
    to your suggestion that most of the drivers would remain the same) that
    each bit of hardware has to be installed in the proper order. Very few
    devices are stand-alone. Most are installed "onto" another device, which
    device has to have already been installed in order for the automatic
    configuration chores to properly choose settings and "marry" the
    devices. You can't, for instance, install any drives until you have
    first installed the motherboard controllers. That's just one of many,
    many such cases, and a rather simple one at that. Lastly, even when you
    are successful, the result is that many, many drivers in your new system
    will not have been built into the VMM32.VXD file, potentially causing
    some slower speeds in certain functions, and or continuous "weirdness".

    All in all, where you now find yourself is an excellent reason to
    reformat and start over. If you're like me, always wanting to know the
    hows and whys, you'll perhaps try one or the other (or both) of the
    above procedures just to see how it's done and how it turns out, but
    you'll eventually reformat and do it right.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    Robyn, Duke of Amber wrote:
    > I am currently moving my HD and my "extra" hardware (burner, network
    > card, DVD drive, graphics card ) over to a new system/ motherboard
    > (that's all that's in the new box) and I've been told by a friend that
    > re-instaling my OS is a good idea with the move as it can get cranky.
    >
    > I honestly don't see why.
    > The drivers for all of my other hardware are giong with me and the
    > bios should check/deal wth them as well as windows re-orienting itself
    > the first time I boot up with the new board.
    >
    > What says anyone else????

    That's not a good idea, no way.
    The only way it is a good idea is if you use 'All' the same identical
    hardware but most especially the MotherBoard ..then you can swap HD's
    between the two identical computer setups where only a few automatic
    changes takes place as it updates the registry to that one HD's component
    identity; otherwise if you make mismatched swapping between dissimilar
    units - especially! dissimilar MotherBoards like you want to do which is
    the worst case scenario, then the time you spend chasing down so many
    unforeseen obvious and not so obvious hidden problems... ...well you just
    have no idea do you or you wouldn't have asked. ..It is sooo much better,
    easier, in the short/long run to do a fresh install it's a no contest - and
    the benefits are outstanding, not to mention the piece of mind gained.

    Rick

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 04:20:53 -0400, "Robyn, Duke of Amber" <seraphim@sentex.net>
    wrote:

    >I am currently moving my HD and my "extra" hardware (burner, network
    >card, DVD drive, graphics card ) over to a new system/ motherboard
    >(that's all that's in the new box) and I've been told by a friend that
    >re-instaling my OS is a good idea with the move as it can get cranky.
    >
    >I honestly don't see why.
    > The drivers for all of my other hardware are giong with me and the
    >bios should check/deal wth them as well as windows re-orienting itself
    >the first time I boot up with the new board.
    >
    > What says anyone else????

    FWIW, I did a "migration" from box to box recently. I was intending to go the
    "proper" route and reinstall (win98SE) but I figured I'd see what happened by
    just swapping the two HDD's across.

    The new box spent about half an hour finding new things - reminds me of an
    Alzheimers sufferer - but survived to run fine.

    After the experiment and a week or so bedding down, I did the complete
    format/reinstall anyway. By then the registry would have been soooo bloated
    that a fresh start was the best thing.

    I'm wondering if using my old chip might make the process more
    bearable as well.....
    both bords (mine and the more functional one) are currently running a
    P3 1 gig chip with the same Ram (512) THEN adding the second 512 meg
    after things have unkinked.

    Neil

    - of course all this is moot if my roomie sells the board I am
    getting to someone else for more cash..... why the change..
    well, for him nessesity in two words... root canal.

    Neil

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 00:09:43 -0500, "Vincent" <20@3.com> wrote:

    >I think it's the right way.... but let me tell you something...
    >I did it with sucess... I hate to reinstall and customize the whole
    >system... it's really annoying...
    >
    >I moved my hard disk form an old 486 win95 to a Duron2200 win95....
    >sucesss.....
    >then upgraded to win98.... no problems... And now I'm working with the same
    >settings... and amazing.. all the old great installed software intact... ;)
    >my old oracle personal... is just working fine... ;)
    >
    >Just a comment.. from a lower-user ;)

Motherboards Windows