A340 accident in Toronto

Colin

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002

Just switched on TV breaking news, doesn't look good, lot of smoke, Air
France jet apparently.

Hope all survived.

Colin

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 21:57:59 +0100, "Colin"
<Colin@NONEOFTHATSPAMSTUFFkatana1000.plus.com> wrote:

>Just switched on TV breaking news, doesn't look good, lot of smoke, Air
>France jet apparently.
>
>Hope all survived.
>
>Colin

Apparently no major injuries.....

Sorry for all the Airbus lovers, but my personal company flight
aircraft preference says ..... anything but Airbust Aircraft
please.....

Bob

Let the flames begin....

Capt Bob wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 21:57:59 +0100, "Colin"
> <Colin@NONEOFTHATSPAMSTUFFkatana1000.plus.com> wrote:
> Sorry for all the Airbus lovers, but my personal company flight
> aircraft preference says ..... anything but Airbust Aircraft
> please.....

You just inspired me to play AeroBiz. Was wondering what to do tonight
with those storms :)

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 23:00:12 GMT, "Dallas"
<Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

>"Capt Bob"
>> anything but Airbust Aircraft
>> please.....
>

>Boy, you really know how to start a flame war...
>
>:)
>

>Dallas

Sure do :)

If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going..... ;)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Tom|420 wrote:

> Capt Bob wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 21:57:59 +0100, "Colin"
>> <Colin@NONEOFTHATSPAMSTUFFkatana1000.plus.com> wrote:
>> Sorry for all the Airbus lovers, but my personal company flight
>> aircraft preference says ..... anything but Airbust Aircraft
>> please.....
>

> You just inspired me to play AeroBiz. Was wondering what to do tonight
> with those storms :)

Has the potential to exceed the pedal usage thread.

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Colin

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002

>>Just switched on TV breaking news, doesn't look good, lot of smoke, Air
>>France jet apparently.
>>
>>Hope all survived.
>>
>>Colin
>>

> Apparently no major injuries.....
>

> Sorry for all the Airbus lovers, but my personal company flight
> aircraft preference says ..... anything but Airbust Aircraft
> please.....
>

> Bob
>

> Let the flames begin....

Isn't this the first major accident with an A340? Glad to hear nobody was
killed.

No need for flames, Bob ... patriotism doesn't run that deep for me :) I've
flown with Airbus and Boeing, wouldn't hesitate to fly on either again,
competition is good, only the customer can win.

Cheers.

Colin

"Capt Bob" <nospam@nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 21:57:59 +0100, "Colin"
> <Colin@NONEOFTHATSPAMSTUFFkatana1000.plus.com> wrote:
>
>>Just switched on TV breaking news, doesn't look good, lot of smoke, Air
>>France jet apparently.
>>
>>Hope all survived.
>>
>>Colin
>>

> Apparently no major injuries.....
>

> Sorry for all the Airbus lovers, but my personal company flight
> aircraft preference says ..... anything but Airbust Aircraft
> please.....
>

> Bob
>

> Let the flames begin....

Congratulations!! You're the winner of today's "Most Stupid Statement
Contest" !!
--
Oskar Wagner
(retired Captain)

Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes....

> Sure do :)
>
> If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going..... ;)

Why are americans so against European companies? (airbus in this case)

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb

Zipper

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2005

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 02:15:50 +0100, "Adam Webb"
<adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

>Why are americans so against European companies? (airbus in this case)

It's an ego protection reaction. Just look at their reaction to a
Chinese company trying to buy one of their big oil companies.

dallas

"Adam Webb"
> Why are americans so against European companies? (airbus in this case)

I think I speak for the overwhelming vast majority of Americans, we're not.

Dallas

"Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Sure do :)
>>
>> If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going..... ;)
>>

> Why are americans so against European companies? (airbus in this case)
>
> --
> From Overlag - Adam Webb

The perception for many over here in the USA (right, wrong or
indifferent...) is that Airbus is not an independent company but an
extension of the Governments of the countries involved in Airbus.

To them, any success Airbus has against Boeing is a victory for "that creepy
little bunch of countries with no borders, one government and where they all
use that "Urine Dollar" money..." over the Good Old USofA.

Unfortunately, most people over here have never taken the time to consider
just how many different countries contributed to the building of their GM,
Ford or Chrysler.

And before anyone decides to torch me to a crisp... You should know that I
was born and raised in Detroit, Michigan where General Motors Corp put food
on our table and a roof over our heads for 33 years (Dad worked there...) so
I have no axe to grind with American Industry.

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL / Sim Pilot Too
Chandler, AZ

"Colin" <Colin@NONEOFTHATSPAMSTUFFkatana1000.plus.com> wrote in message

>>>Just switched on TV breaking news, doesn't look good, lot of smoke, Air
>>>France jet apparently.
>>>
>>>Hope all survived.
>>>
>>>Colin
>>>

>> Apparently no major injuries.....
>>

>> Sorry for all the Airbus lovers, but my personal company flight
>> aircraft preference says ..... anything but Airbust Aircraft
>> please.....
>>

>> Bob
>>

>> Let the flames begin....
>
> Isn't this the first major accident with an A340? Glad to hear nobody was
> killed.
>
> No need for flames, Bob ... patriotism doesn't run that deep for me :)
> I've flown with Airbus and Boeing, wouldn't hesitate to fly on either
> again, competition is good, only the customer can win.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Colin

Reports from passengers seem to suggest cabin lights went out just before
landing.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4740539.stm
Lightning strike? In which case it wouldn't make any difference which type
of aircraft it was

Chris

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 10:13:16 +0100, "Chris Curtis" <chris@nospam.net>
wrote:

>"Colin" <Colin@NONEOFTHATSPAMSTUFFkatana1000.plus.com> wrote in message

>>> Apparently no major injuries.....
>>>

>>> Sorry for all the Airbus lovers, but my personal company flight
>>> aircraft preference says ..... anything but Airbust Aircraft
>>> please.....
>>>

>>> Bob
>>>

>>> Let the flames begin....
>>
>> Isn't this the first major accident with an A340? Glad to hear nobody was
>> killed.
>>
>> No need for flames, Bob ... patriotism doesn't run that deep for me :)
>> I've flown with Airbus and Boeing, wouldn't hesitate to fly on either
>> again, competition is good, only the customer can win.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> Colin
>
>Reports from passengers seem to suggest cabin lights went out just before
>landing.
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4740539.stm
>Lightning strike? In which case it wouldn't make any difference which type
>of aircraft it was
>
>Chris

Aircraft get hit all the time by Lightning. I never heard of one
having a total electrical failure because of it. Must have not had a
chance to hit alt/ctrl/del quickly enough.......

Bob

> "Adam Webb"
>> Why are americans so against European companies? (airbus in this case)
>
> I think I speak for the overwhelming vast majority of Americans, we're
> not.
>
> Dallas

good :)

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb

>>Reports from passengers seem to suggest cabin lights went out just before
>>landing.
>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4740539.stm
>>Lightning strike? In which case it wouldn't make any difference which type
>>of aircraft it was
>>
>>Chris
>>

> Aircraft get hit all the time by Lightning. I never heard of one
> having a total electrical failure because of it. Must have not had a
> chance to hit alt/ctrl/del quickly enough.......

yes but getting hit just as you touch down would be a problem.

I know my aunt was on a 747 that got hit by lightening in the late 80s. That
plane lost all power for a few moments. But while flying at 15-20'000 on
climbout that isnt so bad. However just as you hit the tarmac and need
reverse thrust and brakes and spoilers etc etc it can become quiet a
problem.

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb

>>>Reports from passengers seem to suggest cabin lights went out just before
>>>landing.
>>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4740539.stm
>>>Lightning strike? In which case it wouldn't make any difference which
>>>type
>>>of aircraft it was
>>>
>>>Chris
>>>

>> Aircraft get hit all the time by Lightning. I never heard of one
>> having a total electrical failure because of it. Must have not had a
>> chance to hit alt/ctrl/del quickly enough.......
>>

> yes but getting hit just as you touch down would be a problem.

Indeed and eyewitness accounts are suggesting that could well have happened.

Chris

Aside from the fact that composite rudders seem to snap of when rudder
pedals are used, is there some specific reasons?
Mike
"Capt Bob" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 21:57:59 +0100, "Colin"
> <Colin@NONEOFTHATSPAMSTUFFkatana1000.plus.com> wrote:
>
>>Just switched on TV breaking news, doesn't look good, lot of smoke, Air
>>France jet apparently.
>>
>>Hope all survived.
>>
>>Colin
>>

> Apparently no major injuries.....
>

> Sorry for all the Airbus lovers, but my personal company flight
> aircraft preference says ..... anything but Airbust Aircraft
> please.....
>

> Bob
>

> Let the flames begin....

Capt Bob <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>Aircraft get hit all the time by Lightning. I never heard of one
>having a total electrical failure because of it. Must have not had a
>chance to hit alt/ctrl/del quickly enough.......
>
>Bob

Does an exploding plane constitute total electrical failure?? ;-)

A 707 was hit and brought down by lightning in 1963 near Elkton, Md.
The strike ignited fuel vapors causing the explosion. That's when the
FAA mandated that all planes be equipped with discharge wicks.

<http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/view_details.cgi?date=12081963&reg=N709PA&airline=Pan+American+World+Airways>

-=tom=-

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 09:14:38 -0700, Jay Beckman wrote:

> The perception for many over here in the USA (right, wrong or
> indifferent...) is that Airbus is not an independent company but an
> extension of the Governments of the countries involved in Airbus.
>
> To them, any success Airbus has against Boeing is a victory for "that creepy
> little bunch of countries with no borders, one government and where they all
> use that "Urine Dollar" money..." over the Good Old USofA.

That's a pretty pathetic attitude for a country that is still considered to
be the most powerful and influential country in the world.
I hope those people still remember how Bell got so big?
And I believe that Boeing is still the number 1 ranking manufacturer of
airliners, despite the fact that they're also spending valuable time and
money on the development of fighterjets and its components.

Okay...I got that off of my chest! :)

<now to quickly put up my anti-flame net!>

> Unfortunately, most people over here have never taken the time to consider
> just how many different countries contributed to the building of their GM,
> Ford or Chrysler.

Well I'm glad you got a brain, Jay.

I, being a life time fan of the 737 and the 747, have always kind of looked
down on Airbus myself.....until about 5 years ago. It was then that I
realized that the A330 and A340 are actually very big planes and, compared
to their Boeing rivals, have had an extremely good track record.
Very few incidents and accidents, very very modern, and pretty darn
spacious and comfortable.

Besides America.....where's the harm in a little healthy competition?
Are you worried that a bunch of old-fashioned, clog-wearing, cheese-eating,
French Bread-baking, stale beer-drinking Europeans are going to steal your
thunder?
:)))))

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
(Chance favours the prepared mind.)

"Marcel Kuijper" <zoepetier_nothing_here@hotmail.com> wrote in message

<SNIP>

> I, being a life time fan of the 737 and the 747, have always kind of
> looked
> down on Airbus myself.....until about 5 years ago. It was then that I
> realized that the A330 and A340 are actually very big planes and, compared
> to their Boeing rivals, have had an extremely good track record.
> Very few incidents and accidents, very very modern, and pretty darn
> spacious and comfortable.
>

> Besides America.....where's the harm in a little healthy competition?
> Are you worried that a bunch of old-fashioned, clog-wearing,
> cheese-eating,
> French Bread-baking, stale beer-drinking Europeans are going to steal your
> thunder?
> :)))))

Marcel,

I'm afraid the concept of competition is quickly going the way of the Dodo
Bird here.

As we get fatter and lazier, our ability to raise "righteous indignation" of
any kind (moral, economic, cultural or national) is quickly beginning to
match our inability to get off the couch.

Instead of making anything better, we just have taken the path of least
resistance and decided that we'll just buy it from where it's cheaper.

Welcome to the USA in the 21st century.

Jay

> Aside from the fact that composite rudders seem to snap of when rudder
> pedals are used, is there some specific reasons?

rudder reversals are not recommended on ANY planes are they not???

and that was 1 case wasnt it? and they fixed it.

what about 737s and cargo doors blowing out loads of times before they
relised?

oh and that 747 that had a fuel tank just explode and blow the nose off over
the atlantic?

No aircraft maker is perfect.

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb

> That explosion was a result the aircraft being hit by a US Navy missle,
> dontcha know?

the one i was thinking about was a electical short from a high voltage
cable, into one of the sensor wires that goes into the tank. The short
caused a spark and well you know the rest :-(

I didnt know of any US navy missles shooting down 747s but that sounds nasty
too!

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb

>> That explosion was a result the aircraft being hit by a US Navy missle,
>> dontcha know?
>>

> the one i was thinking about was a electical short from a high voltage
> cable, into one of the sensor wires that goes into the tank. The short
> caused a spark and well you know the rest :-(
>
> I didnt know of any US navy missles shooting down 747s but that sounds
> nasty too!

Adam,

Peter has a firm grip on one of your legs and is pulling with all his
might...

The "Conspiracy Nuts" here in the USA were conviced (all the way up to Mr.
Pierre Salenger, former Press Secy for President Kennedy) that that 747 was
taken down by a live fire mission gone wrong.

Don't belive everything you read...

;O)

Jay

> Jay Beckman <jnsbeckman@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Peter has a firm grip on one of your legs and is pulling with all his
>> might...
>
> What Jay typed...
>
> Go to Google and do a search on "TWA Flight 800 missile" and then be
> prepared for a few days of reading.
>
> --
> Peter

After your done with FLT800, say next March, try moving on to such stellar
subjects as:

- The CIA orchestrated 9/11
- The Apollo moon missions were shot in a studio in Hollywood
- The Roswell Incident
- Andrew Dice Clay is an Alien Love Child (Weekly World News says so...)

See ya in 2147AD...

Jay