the state of Asterisk DTMF detection

Now that I've got Asterisk hooked to a bunch of providers and
devices I decided to start trying to do something interesting
with it. It's not going well.

I have a bunch of extensions defined so that my SPA-2000 users
can call each other and meet, etc. That works fine and it
also works for calls through LiveVoIP. I run into problems
when I try to use the menus with devices which only generate
inband DTMF.

The simple problem is kphone. Using its G.711 codec and
setting "dtmfmode=inband" results in this.
Oct 30 16:47:53 WARNING[1149348784]: dsp.c:1468 ast_dsp_process: Inband DTMF is not supported on codec G.711 u-law. Use RFC2833
This has been covered in the Asterisk users mailing list and
the answer is to refuse to believe it is happening.
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2004-August/059869.html

Next up is BroadVoice. When I call my BV number and enter
digits each one registers twice. (Entering "1234#" results in
"11223344".) I don't expect that this is a case of noise
because it's so consistent. The digits are making it through
to me; I can hear them clearly when the call is in a meeting.
It appears that this is just an Asterisk problem.

--kyler
1 answer Last reply
More about state asterisk dtmf detection

    [I'm having some trouble with this newsgroup and as a result
    posted some of this information in "solved my BroadVoice
    DTMF problem".]

    The Asterisk incompatibility with BroadVoice was bypassed by
    forcing the use of "ulaw". Only a single DTMF digit is now
    registered per keypress.

    I've dropped kphone and am now trying iaxComm.
    http://iaxclient.sourceforge.net/iaxcomm/
    DTMF detection is not a problem with iaxComm. (It's not
    perfectly reliable either but seems to be about as good as
    kphone and it runs on several platforms.)

    --kyler

VPN Detection Devices Networking