Upgrading from 98SE to XP

I want to upgrade from Windows 98SE to Windows XP.

I have 2 hard drives, C and D. The D drive contains lots of ebooks, music,
movies, televsion shows, ect. which I would like to retain on that drive.

Is it possible to upgrade to XP without erasing all the files on D drive?

Can you point me to details?

Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about upgrading 98se

    Sure, no problem. For other Upgrade and XP hints, see:
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.htm
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm\

    Your storage on D:\ will be little affected (a couple of new folders),
    but you should review carefully what will be happening on your C:\.

    Personally, I don't recommend Upgrading in place, but rather I copy most
    of the contents of C:\ to a folder elsewhere (in your case to D:\) and
    then repartition to create an NTFS partition in its place, then install
    XP to that. However, you usually need a standard Win98SE installation CD
    in order to do that, because the XP Upgrade CD will want to confirm that
    you own a legitimate copy of Windows 98SE. If your system is Compaq or
    HP or any other that does not provide a normal installation CD, but
    rather provides a "Restore" CD or partition, then you will almost
    certainly have to upgrade from an installed Win98SE. This is one of
    those questions you may not be able to answer until you try.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "randwill" <randwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I want to upgrade from Windows 98SE to Windows XP.
    >
    > I have 2 hard drives, C and D. The D drive contains lots of ebooks,
    > music,
    > movies, televsion shows, ect. which I would like to retain on that
    > drive.
    >
    > Is it possible to upgrade to XP without erasing all the files on D
    > drive?
    >
    > Can you point me to details?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I forgot to mention... Make *real* sure your hardware is up to the task.
    I generally double Microsoft's "System Requirements", and consider the
    results to be realistic minimums. In some cases, like with RAM, even
    double the minimums is just plain not enough. 512 MB to 1 GB is my
    bottom limit. You will also need a *lot* of free disk space, both
    because XP takes more, but also because XP is more snarky about having
    lots of free space. I consider 25% free space, particularly on the
    system partition, to be minimum.

    What are your system's basic specs?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "randwill" <randwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I want to upgrade from Windows 98SE to Windows XP.
    >
    > I have 2 hard drives, C and D. The D drive contains lots of ebooks,
    > music,
    > movies, televsion shows, ect. which I would like to retain on that
    > drive.
    >
    > Is it possible to upgrade to XP without erasing all the files on D
    > drive?
    >
    > Can you point me to details?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Along with Gary's recommendations, suggest minimum 26GB XP partition size.
    Seems this is size that will accomodate general apps, and XPs thrashing of
    the HD for its big swapfile.

    Am not sure about the upgrade type. If you use a retail or OEM (buy with
    hardware type) full install XP disc, I know it will allow removing the
    current partition, create and format an NTFS partition in its place prior to
    XP actual installation. XP is limited to 32GB for creating FAT32 type
    partitions. But, can read and write to any size FAT32 formatted partition.
    It is recommended to go directly to NTFS rather than use XP's convert
    program.

    Be careful as some brand name PCs have their original restore on hidden
    partitions. Don't delete this.

    In article <ubh2RHPlFHA.2608@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, "Lil' Dave"
    <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote:
    >Along with Gary's recommendations, suggest minimum 26GB XP partition size.
    >Seems this is size that will accomodate general apps, and XPs thrashing of
    >the HD for its big swapfile.

    26 GB? I often install XP on a 3 GB partition, which works fine for a
    typical installation and everyday E-mail and web browsing. The
    biggest partition that I've ever used to install XP is about 12 GB,
    for a computer that will have a full Microsoft Office installation and
    some other big applications.

    Note that I store my data (documents, Favorites, E-mail, pictures,
    etc) on a separate partition, not on the XP operating system
    partition.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows Networking
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

    Hangin out at windowxp.general, this seems the consensus for the general XP
    partition size. And, it is for those that doall at one partition. The OP
    has what appears results from downloads and A/V decoding/encoding on another
    hard drive. Remainder appears to be on the boot drive.

    Since my crystal ball is broken, I chose to suggest a XP partition size that
    will accomodate most anything. Some users choose to install everything
    here, and save all here as well. Some users limit themselves to just a few
    applications etc. Others may install and install and install software,
    free/trial/payfor. Some A/V encoding software cache the results locally,
    and save the encoded results to the users choice of location. And, also
    same also has a "swapfile" of its own that also defaults to the installation
    partition location. And, I'm sure that there's stuff out there that I don't
    know about.

    Glad your crystal ball is working today.

    "Steve Winograd [MVP]" <winograd@pobox.com> wrote in message
    > In article <ubh2RHPlFHA.2608@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, "Lil' Dave"
    > <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote:
    > >Along with Gary's recommendations, suggest minimum 26GB XP partition
    size.
    > >Seems this is size that will accomodate general apps, and XPs thrashing
    of
    > >the HD for its big swapfile.
    >
    > 26 GB? I often install XP on a 3 GB partition, which works fine for a
    > typical installation and everyday E-mail and web browsing. The
    > biggest partition that I've ever used to install XP is about 12 GB,
    > for a computer that will have a full Microsoft Office installation and
    > some other big applications.
    >
    > Note that I store my data (documents, Favorites, E-mail, pictures,
    > etc) on a separate partition, not on the XP operating system
    > partition.
    > --
    > Best Wishes,

    > Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows Networking
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >
    > Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ
    > http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm

    Just a quick observation on System Partition size. Better to make it too
    big, than to find out later that you will need to use a partitioning tool to
    re-size it! I used to make all mine 6 GB, but with Disk Space so cheap now,
    I am building all of mine with a 20 GB System Partition. Just my preference,
    as I have been hosed by Partition Magic (and some others) in the past.

    Wmp
    MS-MVP Networking

Windows XP Windows