180Search Toolbar keeps downloading unexpectedly throughou..

I'm runnin' Ad-Aware SE (free version) but the 180Search Toolbar's malware
crashed my firewall during the scan. My AVG7 AV couldn't handle the onslaught of
virus programs that came from the 180Search toolbar download. I wound up with
programs that compromised my system on reboot. HOW do I stop this intrusion from
happening a fourth time? It takes several hours to clean up this mess each time!
And it looks like this malware infected the M$ PWL files; Ad-Aware found some
problem there but the system crashed near the scan of this file. I've had to use
Add/Remove Programs to uninstall several programs: Search Assistant,
Media-something, Powerscan 1.1, 4fan8tll, and I have Prositefinder in 2
instances in my Close Program window. I could complain to 180Search's FAQ about
the indiscriminate downloading going on about their program, but it just seems
to infect so many different webpages that complaints would be useless by an
individual user.
3 answers Last reply
More about 180search toolbar downloading unexpectedly throughou

    Cymbal Man Freq. wrote:

    > I'm runnin' Ad-Aware SE (free version) but the 180Search Toolbar's malware
    > crashed my firewall during the scan. My AVG7 AV couldn't handle the onslaught of
    > virus programs that came from the 180Search toolbar download. I wound up with
    > programs that compromised my system on reboot. HOW do I stop this intrusion from
    > happening a fourth time? It takes several hours to clean up this mess each time!
    > And it looks like this malware infected the M$ PWL files; Ad-Aware found some
    > problem there but the system crashed near the scan of this file. I've had to use
    > Add/Remove Programs to uninstall several programs: Search Assistant,
    > Media-something, Powerscan 1.1, 4fan8tll, and I have Prositefinder in 2
    > instances in my Close Program window. I could complain to 180Search's FAQ about
    > the indiscriminate downloading going on about their program, but it just seems
    > to infect so many different webpages that complaints would be useless by an
    > individual user.

    Have you tried linking that domain to your computer's IP address
    (127.0.0.1)in your hosts file? Since that would direct all requests for
    that domain to your hard drive, it would reduce the ablity to download
    from there.

    Sometimes one antispy application will catch things another woun't. You
    might want to try using at least two.

    I don't understand any concept you proposed here.

    From: "Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg>

    | I don't understand any concept you proposed here.
    |
    | "RobertVA" <Robert_c72nospam@hottmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Have you tried linking that domain to your computer's IP address
    >> (127.0.0.1)in your hosts file? Since that would direct all requests
    >> for that domain to your hard drive, it would reduce the ablity to
    >> download from there.
    >>
    >> Sometimes one antispy application will catch things another woun't.
    >> You might want to try using at least two.

    That's why you keep hetting it !

    The *best* place to ask this kind of question is in; alt.privacy.spyware

    Besides using Ad-aware SE v1.06, fully updated, use SpyBot Search and Destroy v1.4, fully
    updated.

    You can also use the following tool. The McAfee module helps to remove the 180Search
    adware/spyware.

    Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

    http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five Kixtart scripts, one Link
    (.LNK) file, this PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
    simplify the process of using; Sophos, Trend and McAfee Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to
    remove
    viruses and various other malware.

    way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
    The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC.

    file.

    Choose; Unzip
    Choose; Close

    Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

    NOTE: You may have to disable your software FireWall or allow WGET.EXE and/or FTP.EXE to go
    through your FireWall to allow them to download the needed AV vendor related files.

    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Windows