Modular PSU, are they really useful?

spiritbreaker22

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Hi,

I am looking at building a new rig and pretty much have the main components picked out. One of the only things I haven't really decided on is my PSU. I have read a few reviews on the Ultra X2 550W unit and it sounds really good. The only thing is I haven't seen many reviews from actual users, just magazines etc...

Does anyone have experience with this unit? And Do the claims of a modular PSU really make that much of a diff when it comes to air flow? I would think the case would be more important.

Please let me know what you think.
Thanks

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Hi,

I am looking at building a new rig and pretty much have the main components picked out. One of the only things I haven't really decided on is my PSU. I have read a few reviews on the Ultra X2 550W unit and it sounds really good. The only thing is I haven't seen many reviews from actual users, just magazines etc...

Does anyone have experience with this unit? And Do the claims of a modular PSU really make that much of a diff when it comes to air flow? I would think the case would be more important.

Thanks
I got one of the older X-connect 500w. Although the one you are looking it is very improved, the one I got, well, it sucks.
Got my OCZ Powerstream 520 and love it. They make the exact same thing minus adjustable rails in a modular flavor. Same wattage, ratings, etc. It's a great PSU. I would recommend it. Runs like ~$100.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104155

pcrig

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Hi,

Thanks

Why buying PSU you even don't know?

I wouldn't buy anything else but ENERMAX EG701AX-VE SFMA

ENERMAX ELT620AWT

I don't like ANTEC even many claims it is very good PSU !

rantonrave

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2005
User reviews for power supplies are mostly useless for anything but evaluations of features (number of connectors, lengths of cables, pretty lights) and fan noise because few users apply more than light loads, 150-300W. Unfortunately most magazine and web reviews suffer the same drawback, Tom's being among the very few that don't.

Detachable cables can drop a slight amount of voltage but probably not enough to matter, although premium power supply maker PC Power & Cooling dislikes them.

spiritbreaker22

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Thanks RichPLS,
I will look into that unit. My old rig has a generic 350W without any issues but I don't really push that system. For my upgrade I am looking at more power-hungry components and want a reliable PS.

spiritbreaker22

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Pengwin,
Thanks for the tip. It seems like many people like Antec so it must be good. The cost is a little cheaper and the units are pretty nice. I am still not sold on whether I want to go modular or not. But I think Antec will be the way I go.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
np, if u want modular, NeoHE series, if u want normal, look towards Antec Truepower seies..

what case are you gonan use, its its a small case get modular if not a normal PSU will be fine

spiritbreaker22

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
I am not sure what case yet. I have been recommended the Sonata II which looks great and all but I am not sold on the air flow. The HDD slots are 90 Degrees to the front which I have read slows air flow and there is a full cover on the front preventing good flow and access to the optical drives. I will likely be loading and switching disks a fair bit so the door would be open-close over and over and would become a pain is the $&&!

I am looking for a nice case, no PSU required that is open, doesn't have a door that flips over the front and doesn't need to be a clear side as the computer will sit under a desk. I am looking more for quietness and air flow then looks.