File Deletion Utility

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 29, 2005 8:51:27 PM

On my Fix-It 2000 Utilities program there is "disc cleaner" program that
lists 18 sub-categories of files, each with a check-off box. In the next
step the file types in the checked-off boxes are removed from the hard
drive. Is it safe (without limitation) to check off the following category
(1 of the 18) and remove all of the files of the types listed?

<MSVC ++ compiler intermediate files (*.obj *.pch *.pdb *.ilk *.exp
*.idb *.ncb)>

Note: I tried to post a screenshot of this but received a message that the
file size was too big. Does the group accept screenshots and if so what is
the maximum file size for the message?

More about : file deletion utility

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 11:36:32 PM

Look up each file extension that you mentioned and find out what it is.
Then determine if any program on your computer uses it (i.e., you could do a
search on them and see where they are located). Personally, I don't want
any program deleting my files.

This newsgroup is not a binary attachment group. If you find it necessary
to post a file, post it elsewhere and then tell where it can be seen in your
post to this group.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
> On my Fix-It 2000 Utilities program there is "disc cleaner" program that
> lists 18 sub-categories of files, each with a check-off box. In the next
> step the file types in the checked-off boxes are removed from the hard
> drive. Is it safe (without limitation) to check off the following category
> (1 of the 18) and remove all of the files of the types listed?
>
> <MSVC ++ compiler intermediate files (*.obj *.pch *.pdb *.ilk *.exp
> *.idb *.ncb)>
>
> Note: I tried to post a screenshot of this but received a message that the
> file size was too big. Does the group accept screenshots and if so what is
> the maximum file size for the message?

Anonymous
July 30, 2005 12:55:16 AM

OK thanks.

Ron Badour wrote:
> Look up each file extension that you mentioned and find out what it
> is. Then determine if any program on your computer uses it (i.e., you
> could do a search on them and see where they are located).
> Personally, I don't want any program deleting my files.
>
> This newsgroup is not a binary attachment group. If you find it
> necessary to post a file, post it elsewhere and then tell where it
> can be seen in your post to this group.
>

> "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
>> On my Fix-It 2000 Utilities program there is "disc cleaner" program
>> that lists 18 sub-categories of files, each with a check-off box. In
>> the next step the file types in the checked-off boxes are removed
>> from the hard drive. Is it safe (without limitation) to check off
>> the following category (1 of the 18) and remove all of the files of
>> the types listed?
>>
>> <MSVC ++ compiler intermediate files (*.obj *.pch *.pdb *.ilk
>> *.exp *.idb *.ncb)>
>>
>> Note: I tried to post a screenshot of this but received a message
>> that the file size was too big. Does the group accept screenshots
>> and if so what is the maximum file size for the message?
July 30, 2005 1:32:12 AM

"Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
> On my Fix-It 2000 Utilities program there is "disc cleaner" program that
> lists 18 sub-categories of files, each with a check-off box. In the next
> step the file types in the checked-off boxes are removed from the hard
> drive. Is it safe (without limitation) to check off the following category
> (1 of the 18) and remove all of the files of the types listed?
>
> <MSVC ++ compiler intermediate files (*.obj *.pch *.pdb *.ilk *.exp
> *.idb *.ncb)>

You have to think about each category.
I do no work in C source code, thus would be happy
about deleting C source and compiler files.
(I like and have used V.com/Ontrack utilities since
Mijenix invented the first.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

The primary problem is the rather decent chance that an extension does
not mean what the utility's best guess thinks that it means, and you
mistakenly end up deleting needed files. Ron's point, if I may extend it
a bit, is that such chores are inherently risky and should be performed
manually. Registry "cleaning", "garbage" file cleaners... All are
inherently subject to failures in the interface between reality and the
code, failures that range between inconsequential and the catastrophic.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
> "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
>> <MSVC ++ compiler intermediate files (*.obj *.pch *.pdb *.ilk
>> *.exp
>> *.idb *.ncb)>
>
> You have to think about each category.
> I do no work in C source code, thus would be happy
> about deleting C source and compiler files.
> (I like and have used V.com/Ontrack utilities since
> Mijenix invented the first.)
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 3:24:15 AM

Same here.

Don Phillipson wrote:

> ">...(I like and have used V.com/Ontrack utilities since
> Mijenix invented the first.)...
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 3:39:49 AM

Don Phillipson wrote:
> "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
>> On my Fix-It 2000 Utilities program there is "disc cleaner" program
>> that lists 18 sub-categories of files, each with a check-off box. In
>> the next step the file types in the checked-off boxes are removed
>> from the hard drive. Is it safe (without limitation) to check off
>> the following category (1 of the 18) and remove all of the files of
>> the types listed?
>>
>> <MSVC ++ compiler intermediate files (*.obj *.pch *.pdb *.ilk
>> *.exp *.idb *.ncb)>
>
> You have to think about each category.
> I do no work in C source code, thus would be happy
> about deleting C source and compiler files.
> (I like and have used V.com/Ontrack utilities since
> Mijenix invented the first.)

I don't know anything about C source and compiler files; I don't (knowingly)
write code. Since there were 73 files listed, one question is why would they
be there? Would they be part of the original OS installation or Windows
Updates? Or part of external application installations, generated, say, when
you make certain choices during installation or customizing afterwards? Can
you generate them using Word or Excel? Something else?
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 4:38:16 AM

I'm not familiar with the "automatic" software you mention but, it's been my
experience that software that promises to do "wonderful" clean-ups for you,
almost ALWAYS gets it wrong and it simply cannot be trusted. i.e. you MUST
manually monitor what it proposes to do to your machine !

e.g. Norton "Windoctor" is a very good utility, so long as you don't let it
charge ahead and do what it thinks it needs to do, i.e. you have to manually
work through the changes it suggests !

FWIW

regards, Richard

"Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
> On my Fix-It 2000 Utilities program there is "disc cleaner" program that
> lists 18 sub-categories of files, each with a check-off box. In the next
> step the file types in the checked-off boxes are removed from the hard
> drive. Is it safe (without limitation) to check off the following category
> (1 of the 18) and remove all of the files of the types listed?
>
> <MSVC ++ compiler intermediate files (*.obj *.pch *.pdb *.ilk *.exp
> *.idb *.ncb)>
>
> Note: I tried to post a screenshot of this but received a message that the
> file size was too big. Does the group accept screenshots and if so what is
> the maximum file size for the message?

Anonymous
July 30, 2005 4:38:17 AM

This is actually an excellent utility package for 98 and I've been using it
for about six years. In this case I was just trying to expand my horizons a
little bit since I'm not familiar with these file types.

By the way the program specifically state

RJK wrote:
> I'm not familiar with the "automatic" software you mention but, it's
> been my experience that software that promises to do "wonderful"
> clean-ups for you, almost ALWAYS gets it wrong and it simply cannot
> be trusted. i.e. you MUST manually monitor what it proposes to do to
> your machine !
>
> e.g. Norton "Windoctor" is a very good utility, so long as you don't
> let it charge ahead and do what it thinks it needs to do, i.e. you
> have to manually work through the changes it suggests !
>
> FWIW
>
> regards, Richard
>

> "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
>> On my Fix-It 2000 Utilities program there is "disc cleaner" program
>> that lists 18 sub-categories of files, each with a check-off box. In
>> the next step the file types in the checked-off boxes are removed
>> from the hard drive. Is it safe (without limitation) to check off
>> the following category (1 of the 18) and remove all of the files of
>> the types listed?
>>
>> <MSVC ++ compiler intermediate files (*.obj *.pch *.pdb *.ilk
>> *.exp *.idb *.ncb)>
>>
>> Note: I tried to post a screenshot of this but received a message
>> that the file size was too big. Does the group accept screenshots
>> and if so what is the maximum file size for the message?
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 6:13:30 AM

Actually your comment is dead on, thanks to the fact that I didn't explain
correctly how the procedure works. Once you check a category, in the next
step all the files located, say in the category I mentioned, will appear by
clicking the plus sign, like you do in Explorer, and you can review each one
individually before making the final decision to delete it or not. So in no
case are you faced with an all or nothing decision. My bad.

RJK wrote:
> I'm not familiar with the "automatic" software you mention but, it's
> been my experience that software that promises to do "wonderful"
> clean-ups for you, almost ALWAYS gets it wrong and it simply cannot
> be trusted. i.e. you MUST manually monitor what it proposes to do to
> your machine !
>
> e.g. Norton "Windoctor" is a very good utility, so long as you don't
> let it charge ahead and do what it thinks it needs to do, i.e. you
> have to manually work through the changes it suggests !
>
> FWIW
>
> regards, Richard
>

> "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
>> On my Fix-It 2000 Utilities program there is "disc cleaner" program
>> that lists 18 sub-categories of files, each with a check-off box. In
>> the next step the file types in the checked-off boxes are removed
>> from the hard drive. Is it safe (without limitation) to check off
>> the following category (1 of the 18) and remove all of the files of
>> the types listed?
>>
>> <MSVC ++ compiler intermediate files (*.obj *.pch *.pdb *.ilk
>> *.exp *.idb *.ncb)>
>>
>> Note: I tried to post a screenshot of this but received a message
>> that the file size was too big. Does the group accept screenshots
>> and if so what is the maximum file size for the message?
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 12:55:49 PM

> snip <
>
> I don't know anything about C source and compiler files; I don't
> (knowingly)
> write code. Since there were 73 files listed, one question is why would
> they
> be there?
That's exactly the point. The files might have extensions indicating that
they are C source and compiler intermediate files, but perhaps they are
really some other type of file that happens to use the same extension, and
they are important to some program that you installed.

The files could have been created in any number of way. On common reason is
that people accidentally insert the . in a file name, such as
"devel.prop.obj" for your objection to the neighbours planned pool.

Their location might provide a clue.

Some software is supplied with files of this type to enable you to make
changes to the source and re-compile them. But that's unusual, so you would
have to be suspicious about whether or not these files are really what their
extension indicates.

!