Browser Problem

Running Win98 and IE6.
Having made a connection to the internet my Internet explorer now refuses to
load any web pages. This has only happened during the past two days. I am
unable to update my antivirus programe (AVG) and also not able to update
Ad-Aware or Spybot.What could be causing this?
Thanks for any help.
5 answers Last reply
More about browser problem

    Maybe a virus
    I had a problem like that... all the net parameters were ok... (at least as
    it used to be while working) I couldn't access my router... I'll try to
    reinstall controller, protocols... everything... but nothign... Had to
    reimstall windows...

    Geoff <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> escribió en el mensaje de noticias
    uKUwoGLlFHA.3260@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Running Win98 and IE6.
    > Having made a connection to the internet my Internet explorer now refuses
    > load any web pages. This has only happened during the past two days. I am
    > unable to update my antivirus programe (AVG) and also not able to update
    > Ad-Aware or Spybot.What could be causing this?
    > Thanks for any help.

    Exactly what happens when you try browsing to a web page? What does the browser
    window say?

    Can you PING any web sites from a DOS window?
    Click Start> Programs> Accessories> MS-DOS Prompt.
    In the DOS window, type the following, and press Enter:
    ping www.google.com

    Exactly what comes up on the screen when you run that Ping command?

    Then, in the same DOS window, type the following and press Enter:
    ping 64.233.161.104

    What appears on screen then?

    Then this:
    ping 127.0.0.1

    What is the output from that one?
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    > Running Win98 and IE6.
    > Having made a connection to the internet my Internet explorer now refuses to
    > load any web pages. This has only happened during the past two days. I am
    > unable to update my antivirus programe (AVG) and also not able to update
    > Ad-Aware or Spybot.What could be causing this?
    > Thanks for any help.

    Thanks glee for your help and to answer your questions:
    (shown at the end of each of your questions)

    > Exactly what happens when you try browsing to a web page? What does the
    > browser
    > window say? "the page cannot be displayed"
    >
    > Can you PING any web sites from a DOS window?
    > Click Start> Programs> Accessories> MS-DOS Prompt.
    > In the DOS window, type the following, and press Enter:
    > ping www.google.com >
    > Exactly what comes up on the screen when you run that Ping command?
    > "cannot be run"
    >
    > Then, in the same DOS window, type the following and press Enter:
    > ping 64.233.161.104 >
    > What appears on screen then? "bad command or file name"
    >
    > Then this:
    > ping 127.0.0.1
    >
    > What is the output from that one? "bad command or file name"

    I installed IE6 SP1 from a magazine disc and was able to use the web
    browser but then after rebooting the computer the same problem (as the
    original) started again.Where to now? A worm? trojan? or should I just
    reformat and start all over again?

    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    >> Running Win98 and IE6.
    >> Having made a connection to the internet my Internet explorer now refuses
    >> load any web pages. This has only happened during the past two days. I am
    >> unable to update my antivirus programe (AVG) and also not able to update
    >> Ad-Aware or Spybot.What could be causing this?
    >> Thanks for any help.

    If you are getting "bad command or filename" trying to run the Ping commands I gave
    you, either ping.exe is missing from the Windows folder (search for ping.exe and
    tell me if it exists on your computer); or, you are not typing the commands I gave
    you correctly; or, something is preventing Ping from executing.

    Copy/paste the commands from my post into the DOS window, or type them
    *carefully*....note that there is a space between the word "ping" and the URL or IP
    address in the commands.

    Post back with your results.

    You need to check your system for malware. Do you have an update anti-virus app
    installed? If you cannot get online with that computer, it will be a bit more
    difficult to check it, because you will have to download the needed tools on another
    computer and burn them to CD in order to bring them to the affected machine, to
    install.

    This is one of my standard blurbs for preliminary malware checks:
    Update your anti-virus app and then run a full-system virus scan.

    Use CWShredder, the CoolWeb removal tool, available here:
    http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.exe
    Close ALL browser windows and open apps, start CWShredder and click the Fix button.

    In addition, install Ad-Aware SE free Personal Edition, start it, click its 'Check
    for Updates' link in the app to install updates, then use it to scan your system,
    and remove what it finds.
    Ad-Aware:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

    Install SpywareBlaster:
    Click the link in the app to check for and install updates, then click to 'Enable
    all protection'.
    Update at least weekly.

    Download, unzip, and run Hijack This from one of these locations:
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/tools/HijackThis.exe
    Unzip to a folder other than your Desktop or the Temp folder, double-click
    HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

    When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log"
    button.
    Press that, save the log somewhere you can find it (Desktop, My Documents, or
    similar).
    Most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.

    Copy the log files and paste them into a new post at ONE of these forums:
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html

    In your post, please state your problem clearly and what you've done so far to fix
    it.

    The folks there will tell you what to remove.

    See the "housekeeping" you should complete before you post your log:
    http://aumha.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4075

    A tutorial for using Hijack This is located here:
    http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/
    --

    > Thanks glee for your help and to answer your questions:
    > (shown at the end of each of your questions)

    > > Exactly what happens when you try browsing to a web page? What does the
    > > browser
    > > window say? "the page cannot be displayed"
    > >
    > > Can you PING any web sites from a DOS window?
    > > Click Start> Programs> Accessories> MS-DOS Prompt.
    > > In the DOS window, type the following, and press Enter:
    > > ping www.google.com >
    > > Exactly what comes up on the screen when you run that Ping command?
    > > "cannot be run"
    > >
    > > Then, in the same DOS window, type the following and press Enter:
    > > ping 64.233.161.104 >
    > > What appears on screen then? "bad command or file name"
    > >
    > > Then this:
    > > ping 127.0.0.1
    > >
    > > What is the output from that one? "bad command or file name"
    >
    > I installed IE6 SP1 from a magazine disc and was able to use the web
    > browser but then after rebooting the computer the same problem (as the
    > original) started again.Where to now? A worm? trojan? or should I just
    > reformat and start all over again?
    >

    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    > >> Running Win98 and IE6.
    > >> Having made a connection to the internet my Internet explorer now refuses
    > >> load any web pages. This has only happened during the past two days. I am
    > >> unable to update my antivirus programe (AVG) and also not able to update
    > >> Ad-Aware or Spybot.What could be causing this?
    > >> Thanks for any help.

    Thanks Glee (once again). After running the various spyware apps and seeing
    the amount of worms/trojans deleted, I decided to try and reload Win98 over
    the top of the current install. Lots of "error" messages so I decided then
    to do a clean install, reformat etc and start over again All seems to be ok
    now. Will make sure I place a decent antivirus program, firewall and
    antispyware programs on the machine so that the user does not (hopefully)
    make such a mess again! I will give him a oral lesson in what NOT to do in
    the future.

Windows