TweakUi

Hi
I downloaded TweakUI from Windows update. I Followed the instructions
exactly-ie. created a folder on desktop; unzipped to this folder. I was asked
to open the .inf file to install. This .inf file is written in notepad and I
cannot install from here???
I opened the .cpl file and it says"TweakUi should be run from the control
panel - would you like to install it now?" I say yes. It then asks me for the
manufacturers CD - I pop in the Windows98SE disc. It says it cannot find the
files on this disc. I also don't have the read me file windows update talks
about.
I have re-downloaded and re-installed but have the same problem.
I know I don't have tweakUi on my disc, which is why I am downloading from
Windows update. I downloaded v1.33.
can anyone please help?
thanks

mano

Right-click the INF file and choose "Install".

That said, I wonder if you really should install TweakUI. TUI can effect
many, many tweaks, some of which are known for their odd and/or
unexpected side-effects, some of which have a history of tripping people
up. Your lack of understanding of how INF files work makes me wonder if
you're really ready for TUI.

What is it that you hope to achieve using TUI--what are your immediate
reasons for wanting to install it?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"mano" <mano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I downloaded TweakUI from Windows update. I Followed the instructions
> exactly-ie. created a folder on desktop; unzipped to this folder. I
> was asked
> to open the .inf file to install. This .inf file is written in notepad
> and I
> cannot install from here???
> I opened the .cpl file and it says"TweakUi should be run from the
> control
> panel - would you like to install it now?" I say yes. It then asks me
> for the
> manufacturers CD - I pop in the Windows98SE disc. It says it cannot
> find the
> files on this disc. I also don't have the read me file windows update
> talks
> about.
> I have re-downloaded and re-installed but have the same problem.
> I know I don't have tweakUi on my disc, which is why I am downloading
> from
> Windows update. I downloaded v1.33.
> can anyone please help?
> thanks
>
> mano

Hi Gary

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I appreciate you pointing out my possible lack of experience and will take
note and be extra careful withTUI.
I want to disable loading of the windows splash screen at boot. I don't as
yet have any need for the other functions and hope that I don't.
I have enabled only the absolutely necessary programmes to startup at boot
and am trying to gain any amount of time I can.
Thanks for your advice. Anymore is always welcome.

mano

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Right-click the INF file and choose "Install".
>
> That said, I wonder if you really should install TweakUI. TUI can effect
> many, many tweaks, some of which are known for their odd and/or
> unexpected side-effects, some of which have a history of tripping people
> up. Your lack of understanding of how INF files work makes me wonder if
> you're really ready for TUI.
>
> What is it that you hope to achieve using TUI--what are your immediate
> reasons for wanting to install it?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "mano" <mano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > I downloaded TweakUI from Windows update. I Followed the instructions
> > exactly-ie. created a folder on desktop; unzipped to this folder. I
> > was asked
> > to open the .inf file to install. This .inf file is written in notepad
> > and I
> > cannot install from here???
> > I opened the .cpl file and it says"TweakUi should be run from the
> > control
> > panel - would you like to install it now?" I say yes. It then asks me
> > for the
> > manufacturers CD - I pop in the Windows98SE disc. It says it cannot
> > find the
> > files on this disc. I also don't have the read me file windows update
> > talks
> > about.
> > I have re-downloaded and re-installed but have the same problem.
> > I know I don't have tweakUi on my disc, which is why I am downloading
> > from
> > Windows update. I downloaded v1.33.
> > can anyone please help?
> > thanks
> >
> > mano

I seriously doubt that disabling the Windows splash screen is going to
gain any time in the boot process. It's displayed while other things are
happening in the background. It will take the same amount of time,
you'll just be seeing something else (or nothing.)

--

> Hi Gary
>
> Thanks for your prompt reply.
>
> I appreciate you pointing out my possible lack of experience and will
> take
> note and be extra careful withTUI.
> I want to disable loading of the windows splash screen at boot. I
> don't as
> yet have any need for the other functions and hope that I don't.
> I have enabled only the absolutely necessary programmes to startup at
> boot
> and am trying to gain any amount of time I can.
> Thanks for your advice. Anymore is always welcome.
>
> mano
>

> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
>> Right-click the INF file and choose "Install".
>>
>> That said, I wonder if you really should install TweakUI. TUI can
>> effect
>> many, many tweaks, some of which are known for their odd and/or
>> unexpected side-effects, some of which have a history of tripping
>> people
>> up. Your lack of understanding of how INF files work makes me wonder
>> if
>> you're really ready for TUI.
>>
>> What is it that you hope to achieve using TUI--what are your
>> immediate
>> reasons for wanting to install it?
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>> "mano" <mano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> > I downloaded TweakUI from Windows update. I Followed the
>> > instructions
>> > exactly-ie. created a folder on desktop; unzipped to this folder. I
>> > was asked
>> > to open the .inf file to install. This .inf file is written in
>> > notepad
>> > and I
>> > cannot install from here???
>> > I opened the .cpl file and it says"TweakUi should be run from the
>> > control
>> > panel - would you like to install it now?" I say yes. It then asks
>> > me
>> > for the
>> > manufacturers CD - I pop in the Windows98SE disc. It says it cannot
>> > find the
>> > files on this disc. I also don't have the read me file windows
>> > update
>> > talks
>> > about.
>> > I have re-downloaded and re-installed but have the same problem.
>> > I know I don't have tweakUi on my disc, which is why I am
>> > downloading
>> > from
>> > Windows update. I downloaded v1.33.
>> > can anyone please help?
>> > thanks
>> >
>> > mano

Dunno where you are reading those installation instructions, but the instructions
here:
http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/powertoys/networking/nttweakui.asp
clearly state to right-click the .inf file and click "Install" on the menu that
appears.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"mano" <mano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I downloaded TweakUI from Windows update. I Followed the instructions
> exactly-ie. created a folder on desktop; unzipped to this folder. I was asked
> to open the .inf file to install. This .inf file is written in notepad and I
> cannot install from here???
> I opened the .cpl file and it says"TweakUi should be run from the control
> panel - would you like to install it now?" I say yes. It then asks me for the
> manufacturers CD - I pop in the Windows98SE disc. It says it cannot find the
> files on this disc. I also don't have the read me file windows update talks
> about.
> I have re-downloaded and re-installed but have the same problem.
> I know I don't have tweakUi on my disc, which is why I am downloading from
> Windows update. I downloaded v1.33.
> can anyone please help?
> thanks
>
> mano

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q118579/
Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File

Here is a way to edit MSDOS.sys to remove your logo screen. This is an
important file.

(1) You won't even see it, unless "START, Settings, Folder Options, View
tab" is bolted "Show all files"; may as well uncheck "Hide file
extensions..." too.
(2) Find "C:\MSDOS.sys" and back it up. Call the backup MSDOS.bck, in
C:\.
(3) Then, R-Clk "C:\MSDOS.sys", Properties, and uncheck Read-Only.

(4) Open it in Notepad, &
(a) Put "Logo=0" in the [Options] section
This will suppress the logo & avoid "video mode switching".
(b) Save it & Exit Notepad

(5) Then, R-Clk MSDOS.sys again, and make it Read-Only. Reboot.
(6) Can't reboot? Then, in DOS, copy the backup over the one you've
mussed.
(a) ATTRIB -R -S -H C:\MSDOS.sys
(b) COPY C:\MSDOS.bck C:\MSDOS.sys
(c) ATTRIB +R +S +H C:\MSDOS.sys

NOTE: If you have a "C:\Winboot.ini", it will override MSDOS.sys,
though. So, check for that too. It has the same format/instruction set
as the other.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"mano" <mano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Hi Gary
|
| Thanks for your prompt reply.
|
| I appreciate you pointing out my possible lack of experience and will
take
| note and be extra careful withTUI.
| I want to disable loading of the windows splash screen at boot. I
don't as
| yet have any need for the other functions and hope that I don't.
| I have enabled only the absolutely necessary programmes to startup at
boot
| and am trying to gain any amount of time I can.
| Thanks for your advice. Anymore is always welcome.
|
| mano
|

| "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
|
| > Right-click the INF file and choose "Install".
| >
| > That said, I wonder if you really should install TweakUI. TUI can
effect
| > many, many tweaks, some of which are known for their odd and/or
| > unexpected side-effects, some of which have a history of tripping
people
| > up. Your lack of understanding of how INF files work makes me wonder
if
| > you're really ready for TUI.
| >
| > What is it that you hope to achieve using TUI--what are your
immediate
| > reasons for wanting to install it?
| >
| > --
| > Gary S. Terhune
| > MS MVP Shell/User
| > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
| > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
| >
| > "mano" <mano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > > Hi
| > > I downloaded TweakUI from Windows update. I Followed the
instructions
| > > exactly-ie. created a folder on desktop; unzipped to this folder.
| > > was asked
| > > to open the .inf file to install. This .inf file is written in
notepad
| > > and I
| > > cannot install from here???
| > > I opened the .cpl file and it says"TweakUi should be run from the
| > > control
| > > panel - would you like to install it now?" I say yes. It then asks
me
| > > for the
| > > manufacturers CD - I pop in the Windows98SE disc. It says it
cannot
| > > find the
| > > files on this disc. I also don't have the read me file windows
update
| > > talks
| > > about.
| > > I have re-downloaded and re-installed but have the same problem.
| > > I know I don't have tweakUi on my disc, which is why I am
downloading
| > > from
| > > Windows update. I downloaded v1.33.
| > > can anyone please help?
| > > thanks
| > >
| > > mano

Those instructions are a little vague: just browse to where the file is
located on your hard drive and click it--your Windows CD is not required.
Or use the .inf file as others suggested.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"mano" <mano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I downloaded TweakUI from Windows update. I Followed the instructions
> exactly-ie. created a folder on desktop; unzipped to this folder. I was
> asked
> to open the .inf file to install. This .inf file is written in notepad and
> cannot install from here???
> I opened the .cpl file and it says"TweakUi should be run from the control
> panel - would you like to install it now?" I say yes. It then asks me for
> the
> manufacturers CD - I pop in the Windows98SE disc. It says it cannot find
> the
> files on this disc. I also don't have the read me file windows update
> talks
> about.
> I have re-downloaded and re-installed but have the same problem.
> I know I don't have tweakUi on my disc, which is why I am downloading from
> Windows update. I downloaded v1.33.
> can anyone please help?
> thanks
>
> mano

Hi

I used the TUI method and have successfully disabled the splash screen.

I tend to agree with Gary as I did not notice any siginificant saving in
time at boot.

Thanks for all the help.

mano

"Ron Badour" wrote:

> Those instructions are a little vague: just browse to where the file is
> located on your hard drive and click it--your Windows CD is not required.
> Or use the .inf file as others suggested.
>
> --
> Regards
>

> Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> Knowledge Base Info:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>

> "mano" <mano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > I downloaded TweakUI from Windows update. I Followed the instructions
> > exactly-ie. created a folder on desktop; unzipped to this folder. I was
> > asked
> > to open the .inf file to install. This .inf file is written in notepad and
> > cannot install from here???
> > I opened the .cpl file and it says"TweakUi should be run from the control
> > panel - would you like to install it now?" I say yes. It then asks me for
> > the
> > manufacturers CD - I pop in the Windows98SE disc. It says it cannot find
> > the
> > files on this disc. I also don't have the read me file windows update
> > talks
> > about.
> > I have re-downloaded and re-installed but have the same problem.
> > I know I don't have tweakUi on my disc, which is why I am downloading from
> > Windows update. I downloaded v1.33.
> > can anyone please help?
> > thanks
> >
> > mano

Hello pcr,
I used Tweak to get rid of my Logo, but I have also used the way
you mention below. (that was a looooooong time ago).
I checked my msdos.sys just now and noticed that a Logo option was
not available, which made me think what I did way back when.
Is the entry "BootGUI=1" the latest, or have I got it wrong.
When I did it I was using vanilla 98, now I'm using 98se.
(If I am wrong, what does the Bootgui=1 relate to?)
Also, does adding an entry to that file increase its byte value past 1024?
cheers.

...Rex..

> [...]
> | yet have any need for the other functions and hope that I don't.
> | I have enabled only the absolutely necessary programmes to startup at
> boot
> | and am trying to gain any amount of time I can.
> | Thanks for your advice. Anymore is always welcome.
> |
> | mano
> |

> | "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
> |
> | > Right-click the INF file and choose "Install".
> | >
> | > That said, I wonder if you really should install TweakUI. TUI can
> effect
> | > many, many tweaks, some of which are known for their odd and/or
> | > unexpected side-effects, some of which have a history of tripping
> people
> | > up. Your lack of understanding of how INF files work makes me wonder
> if
> | > you're really ready for TUI.
> | >
> | > What is it that you hope to achieve using TUI--what are your

BootGUI=1 boots to Windows, which is the Graphical User Interface (GUI).
BootGUI=0 will not start Windows; you will boot to a DOS prompt automatically,
every time you start or restart the computer. The BootGUI entry does not even need
to be there if you want to start Windows when you start the computer, as "1" is the
default setting.

The Logo= entry is not required either unless you are trying to disable the splash
screen, in which case you add the setting and give it a value of 0.

Be sure to always look below all those lines of xxxxx in the file, as there are
often some Options listed below there rather than above.

It makes no difference if you *increase* the file size past 1024.....that is a
minimum size, not a max.
--

"Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > Thanks or Good Luck,
> > There may be humor in this post, and,
> > Naturally, you will not sue,
> > should things get worse after this,
> > PCR
> > pcrrcp@netzero.net
> > "mano" <mano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > | Hi Gary
> > |
> > | Thanks for your prompt reply.
> > |
> > | I appreciate you pointing out my possible lack of experience and will
> > take
> > | note and be extra careful withTUI.
> > | I want to disable loading of the windows splash screen at boot. I
> > don't as
> > | yet have any need for the other functions and hope that I don't.
> > | I have enabled only the absolutely necessary programmes to startup at
> > boot
> > | and am trying to gain any amount of time I can.
> > | Thanks for your advice. Anymore is always welcome.

It is just as Glee said. Logo=1 is the default, & it gives you the
screen. Unless TweakUI put Logo=0 out of sight below the filler lines,
you must subsequently have undone it. I am not a big fan of TweakUI.

Well, look at MSDOS.sys's properties in Explorer to see it's size. Mine
is 1,784 bytes, & here it is...

If you use CVFs (Compressed Volume Files), do not include Dblspace=0 &
Drvspace=0. Do not include Network=0, if you connect to a Network.
Logo=0 suppresses the Windows logo at boot.

[Paths]
WinDir=c:\windows
WinBootDir=c:\windows
HostWinBootDrv=c

[Options]
AutoScan=1
BootMenu=1 ;Per Win98
BootMenuDelay=10
Dblspace=0 ;Per Win98
Drvspace=0 ; Secrets
DoubleBuffer=1
Logo=0
Network=0
WinVer=4.10.2222

;
;The following lines are required for compatibility with other programs.
;Do not remove them (MSDOS.SYS needs to be >1024 bytes).
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxa
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxb
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxc
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxd
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxe
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxf
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxg
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxh
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxi
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxj
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxk
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxl
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxm
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxn
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxp
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxq
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxr
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| Hello pcr,
| I used Tweak to get rid of my Logo, but I have also used the way
| you mention below. (that was a looooooong time ago).
| I checked my msdos.sys just now and noticed that a Logo option was
| not available, which made me think what I did way back when.
| Is the entry "BootGUI=1" the latest, or have I got it wrong.
| When I did it I was using vanilla 98, now I'm using 98se.
| (If I am wrong, what does the Bootgui=1 relate to?)
| Also, does adding an entry to that file increase its byte value past
1024?
| cheers.
|
| ..Rex..

| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q118579/
| > Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File
| >
| > Here is a way to edit MSDOS.sys to remove your logo screen. This is
an
| > important file.
| >
| > (1) You won't even see it, unless "START, Settings, Folder Options,
View
| > tab" is bolted "Show all files"; may as well uncheck "Hide file
| > extensions..." too.
| > (2) Find "C:\MSDOS.sys" and back it up. Call the backup MSDOS.bck,
in
| > C:\.
| > (3) Then, R-Clk "C:\MSDOS.sys", Properties, and uncheck Read-Only.
| >
| > (4) Open it in Notepad, &
| > (a) Put "Logo=0" in the [Options] section
| > This will suppress the logo & avoid "video mode
switching".
| > (b) Save it & Exit Notepad
| >
| > (5) Then, R-Clk MSDOS.sys again, and make it Read-Only. Reboot.
| > (6) Can't reboot? Then, in DOS, copy the backup over the one you've
| > mussed.
| > (a) ATTRIB -R -S -H C:\MSDOS.sys
| > (b) COPY C:\MSDOS.bck C:\MSDOS.sys
| > (c) ATTRIB +R +S +H C:\MSDOS.sys
| >
| > NOTE: If you have a "C:\Winboot.ini", it will override MSDOS.sys,
| > though. So, check for that too. It has the same format/instruction
set
| > as the other.
....snip

You are welcome. Looks like Terhune can count his millipedes. I MEAN...
milliseconds!

--
| Hi
|
| I used the TUI method and have successfully disabled the splash
screen.

| I tend to agree with Gary as I did not notice any siginificant saving
in
| time at boot.
|
| Thanks for all the help.
|
| mano
|
| "Ron Badour" wrote:
|
| > Those instructions are a little vague: just browse to where the
file is
| > located on your hard drive and click it--your Windows CD is not
required.
| > Or use the .inf file as others suggested.
| >
| > --
| > Regards
| >

| > Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
| > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
| > Knowledge Base Info:
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
| >

| > "mano" <mano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > > Hi
| > > I downloaded TweakUI from Windows update. I Followed the
instructions
| > > exactly-ie. created a folder on desktop; unzipped to this folder.
I was
| > > asked
| > > to open the .inf file to install. This .inf file is written in
notepad and
| > > cannot install from here???
| > > I opened the .cpl file and it says"TweakUi should be run from the
control
| > > panel - would you like to install it now?" I say yes. It then asks
me for
| > > the
| > > manufacturers CD - I pop in the Windows98SE disc. It says it
cannot find
| > > the
| > > files on this disc. I also don't have the read me file windows
update
| > > talks
| > > about.
| > > I have re-downloaded and re-installed but have the same problem.
| > > I know I don't have tweakUi on my disc, which is why I am
downloading from
| > > Windows update. I downloaded v1.33.
| > > can anyone please help?
| > > thanks