Windows 98 startup

When I start windows 98SE I get to the logo screen but then it keeps
crashing and gives message to resart your pc press contrl alt delete any one
know what the probelm is please?
cannot restore from cd as MTMCDai.sys missing and havetried to restore but
pc will not allow
Have a boot up disc.
3 answers Last reply
More about windows startup

    When did this problem start? Did you add or remove anything - hardware or
    software? If you were deleting files just before this happened, then you
    will probably have to reinstall or restore from your manufacturer's restore
    or recover CD. If this is the case, configure your system to boot from the
    CD. This is done by accessing setup during the boot process and selecting
    which drive the system looks at first during the boot process. Look for a
    message during boot before the Windows logo comes up to press some key or
    key combination to run setup (Delete and F1 are commonly used by
    manufacturers). This is not Windows setup but a place to change settings
    for your computer. If you have documentation on your motherboard or your
    system, how to access the BIOS setup will be covered in it. Be sure to
    write down the original setting for anything that you change so that you can
    get back to the way the manufacturer set it up if necessary.

    If you were not deleting files just before this happened, then I'd restore
    the registry to a point before the problem occurred. See this article:

    How to Manually Restore the Windows 98/Me Registry
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=221512

    If this fails, then you may be experiencing hardware failure, have a virus,
    been overrun with parasites. For good information about parasites and links
    to software to remove it, I suggest starting at this page:

    The Parasite Fight, Quick Fix Protocol
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    This article can also be very helpful:

    Troubleshooting Windows 98 Startup Problems
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=188867

    PattyL

    "Andrewllan" <Andrewllan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I start windows 98SE I get to the logo screen but then it keeps
    > crashing and gives message to resart your pc press contrl alt delete any
    > one
    > know what the probelm is please?
    > cannot restore from cd as MTMCDai.sys missing and havetried to restore but
    > pc will not allow
    > Have a boot up disc.

    Troubleshooting should follow this logic:

    1. Start Win95/98 in Safe Mode.
    If the trouble does not appear in Safe Mode, then the trouble is
    caused by software conflicts or defects. Investigate each of the
    functions that Safe Mode turns off.

    2. If the trouble also occurs in Safe Mode, rename the current Windows
    folder and reinstall Win95/98 into an empty folder.
    If the trouble does not appear with a fresh installation, the trouble
    is caused by something you have added to Win95/98 (but something that
    is not turned off by Safe Mode).

    3. If the trouble occurs even with a fresh install of Windows, the
    trouble is arising in hardware.

    Safe Mode does the following:
    (a) bypasses config.sys and autoexec.bat
    (b) prevents programs from starting automatically (from win.ini
    or the startup folder)
    (c) uses standard VGA video
    (d) prevents a network from being started
    (e) disables protected mode device drivers (those listed in
    Device Manager)
    (f) bypasses the [boot] and [386Enh] sections of system.ini
    For more details, see document 122051 in the Microsoft KnowledgeBase.

    If Safe Mode makes the problem go away, you can try tests from the
    list below to pin down the cause of the problem. For more elaborate
    instructions, see document 156126 in the KnowledgeBase, which explains
    how to do troubleshooting in Safe Mode.

    With Windows 98, you can use MSConfig to help you run the tests below.
    With Windows 95, you can use Startup Control Panel. Startup Control
    Panel is similar to the Msconfig utility that ships in Windows 98. It
    can make troubleshooting easier by removing and restoring items from
    the Windows startup. You can get Startup Control Panel as freeware
    from:

    http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/startupcpl/

    Startup Cop can also disable items loading at Windows startup and it
    is freeware. You can download Startup Cop from:

    http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,,77594,.html

    Yet another option is msconfig.exe as adapted to Win95:

    http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Msconfig.htm

    1. Change the video driver to Microsoft's Standard Display Adapter
    (VGA). Restart Windows and test.

    2. Rename the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat to Config.sss and
    Autoexec.bbb, or edit them so that the only things loading are
    absolutely necessary for the computer to run. The latter items might
    be a SCSI driver for the harddrive, or disk management software for an
    EIDE drive. Deactivate EVERYTHING else by putting REM in front of
    that line. Reboot the computer and test.

    3. Remove EVERYTHING from the Start Menu/Startup folder by dragging
    their icons onto the desktop. Also disable or uninstall all utilities
    that are running TSR (such as Norton Navigator, SoftRam or Macafee
    AV). Restart Windows and test.

    4. Rename the Win.ini and System.ini to Win.iii and System.iii. Then
    make a copy of System.cb and name it System.ini. Do not rename
    System.cb itself. Edit the new System.ini as follows: Add
    device=*vmd
    to the [386Enh] section, and add
    drivers=mmsystem.dll
    mouse.drv=mouse.drv
    to the [boot] section. Restart Windows. You probably will have no
    mouse so you'll have to use keystrokes to do the following. Go into
    Device Manager and select the mouse (which will have a yellow
    exclamation point). Click "Remove." Again, restart Windows. Windows
    should find the mouse and install software for it. Test.

    5. With Windows 98, run the System File Checker. Go to Start/Run and
    enter "sfc".

    6. Rename the current Windows folder (directory). Then install
    Win95/98 to a new, empty folder. Test. If problem does not occur, it
    was caused by something in the old installation. I recommend that you
    keep this new installation and reinstall your Windows applications.

    When you reinstall applications, install Windows applications that
    were written for Win95/98 or WinNT but do not install older
    applications that were written for Windows 3.x. Install only one
    application at a time and test the system thoroughly before installing
    another application. Before you install and application, make a system
    snapshot with a program such as ConfigSafe; this will allow you to
    revert to the previous situation if (when) you install an application
    that causes trouble. With Win98, it is also possible to run "ScanReg
    /Backup" before you install an application, which allows you to
    restore the Registry if (when) you install an application that causes
    trouble. However, it is safer to make a complete system backup and
    recovery with ConfigSafe or a similar product.

    The following articles explain how to install into a new folder:

    How to Reinstall Windows 95 to a New Folder [142096]
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/142/0/96.asp

    How to Install Windows 98 to a New Folder [193902]
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/193/9/02.asp

    Information about reinstalling is also on www.windowsreinstall.com.

    Bill Starbuck (MVP)

    > "Andrewllan" <Andrewllan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    >> When I start windows 98SE I get to the logo screen but then it
    >> keeps crashing and gives message to resart your pc press contrl alt
    >> delete any one know what the probelm is please?

    Perhaps you have other more serious problems but regarding ...

    >> cannot restore from cd as MTMCDai.sys missing and havetried to
    >> restore but pc will not allow

    Do you have an Mitsumi CD-ROM Drive?

    >> Have a boot up disc.

    Ok, but if you can boot into 'Safe mode' instead (Press [F8] at boot).
    Run the System Configuration Utility
    (Start : Run... : msConfig [Enter])
    Check out the following 3 files for entries similar to this:

    Added to "Config.sys" under section "[COMMON]"
    Device=C:\DOSApps\MTM\MTMCDAI.sys /D:MTMIDE01

    Added to "AutoExec.bat"
    C:\Windows\Command\msCDEx.exe /D:MTMIDE01 /M:10

    Added to "System.ini" under section "[386Enh]"
    Device=C:\DOSApps\MTM\MTMCDAI.386

    Uncheck the checkbox infront of these, perhaps only the one in
    Config.sys that is directly referencing the MTMCDai.sys you get a notice
    about, click ok when done and rebbot when asked. See if you now can boot
    into normal mode.

    Search your HardDisk Drive for MTMCDai.sys, as you can see above they
    are not necessarily in the C:\Windows\ directory. When did you install
    these drivers before and do you still have the floppy or CD with the
    drivers? If not and if you still need them (to access the CD in DOS
    Mode?) try and find the drivers at Mitsumis web-site.
    <http://www.mitsumi.co.jp/english/Support/index.html>

    --
    Please followup in newsgroup.
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

Windows 98 Microsoft Windows 98SE Windows