Windows 98 startup

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 30, 2005 6:59:02 AM

When I start windows 98SE I get to the logo screen but then it keeps
crashing and gives message to resart your pc press contrl alt delete any one
know what the probelm is please?
cannot restore from cd as MTMCDai.sys missing and havetried to restore but
pc will not allow
Have a boot up disc.

More about : windows startup

Anonymous
July 30, 2005 11:43:01 AM

When did this problem start? Did you add or remove anything - hardware or
software? If you were deleting files just before this happened, then you
will probably have to reinstall or restore from your manufacturer's restore
or recover CD. If this is the case, configure your system to boot from the
CD. This is done by accessing setup during the boot process and selecting
which drive the system looks at first during the boot process. Look for a
message during boot before the Windows logo comes up to press some key or
key combination to run setup (Delete and F1 are commonly used by
manufacturers). This is not Windows setup but a place to change settings
for your computer. If you have documentation on your motherboard or your
system, how to access the BIOS setup will be covered in it. Be sure to
write down the original setting for anything that you change so that you can
get back to the way the manufacturer set it up if necessary.

If you were not deleting files just before this happened, then I'd restore
the registry to a point before the problem occurred. See this article:

How to Manually Restore the Windows 98/Me Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=221512

If this fails, then you may be experiencing hardware failure, have a virus,
been overrun with parasites. For good information about parasites and links
to software to remove it, I suggest starting at this page:

The Parasite Fight, Quick Fix Protocol
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

This article can also be very helpful:

Troubleshooting Windows 98 Startup Problems
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=188867

PattyL

"Andrewllan" <Andrewllan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I start windows 98SE I get to the logo screen but then it keeps
> crashing and gives message to resart your pc press contrl alt delete any
> one
> know what the probelm is please?
> cannot restore from cd as MTMCDai.sys missing and havetried to restore but
> pc will not allow
> Have a boot up disc.
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 12:26:47 PM

Troubleshooting should follow this logic:

1. Start Win95/98 in Safe Mode.
If the trouble does not appear in Safe Mode, then the trouble is
caused by software conflicts or defects. Investigate each of the
functions that Safe Mode turns off.

2. If the trouble also occurs in Safe Mode, rename the current Windows
folder and reinstall Win95/98 into an empty folder.
If the trouble does not appear with a fresh installation, the trouble
is caused by something you have added to Win95/98 (but something that
is not turned off by Safe Mode).

3. If the trouble occurs even with a fresh install of Windows, the
trouble is arising in hardware.

Safe Mode does the following:
(a) bypasses config.sys and autoexec.bat
(b) prevents programs from starting automatically (from win.ini
or the startup folder)
(c) uses standard VGA video
(d) prevents a network from being started
(e) disables protected mode device drivers (those listed in
Device Manager)
(f) bypasses the [boot] and [386Enh] sections of system.ini
For more details, see document 122051 in the Microsoft KnowledgeBase.

If Safe Mode makes the problem go away, you can try tests from the
list below to pin down the cause of the problem. For more elaborate
instructions, see document 156126 in the KnowledgeBase, which explains
how to do troubleshooting in Safe Mode.

With Windows 98, you can use MSConfig to help you run the tests below.
With Windows 95, you can use Startup Control Panel. Startup Control
Panel is similar to the Msconfig utility that ships in Windows 98. It
can make troubleshooting easier by removing and restoring items from
the Windows startup. You can get Startup Control Panel as freeware
from:

http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/startupcpl/

Startup Cop can also disable items loading at Windows startup and it
is freeware. You can download Startup Cop from:

http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,,77594,.h...

Yet another option is msconfig.exe as adapted to Win95:

http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Msconfig.htm

1. Change the video driver to Microsoft's Standard Display Adapter
(VGA). Restart Windows and test.

2. Rename the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat to Config.sss and
Autoexec.bbb, or edit them so that the only things loading are
absolutely necessary for the computer to run. The latter items might
be a SCSI driver for the harddrive, or disk management software for an
EIDE drive. Deactivate EVERYTHING else by putting REM in front of
that line. Reboot the computer and test.

3. Remove EVERYTHING from the Start Menu/Startup folder by dragging
their icons onto the desktop. Also disable or uninstall all utilities
that are running TSR (such as Norton Navigator, SoftRam or Macafee
AV). Restart Windows and test.

4. Rename the Win.ini and System.ini to Win.iii and System.iii. Then
make a copy of System.cb and name it System.ini. Do not rename
System.cb itself. Edit the new System.ini as follows: Add
device=*vmd
to the [386Enh] section, and add
drivers=mmsystem.dll
mouse.drv=mouse.drv
to the [boot] section. Restart Windows. You probably will have no
mouse so you'll have to use keystrokes to do the following. Go into
Device Manager and select the mouse (which will have a yellow
exclamation point). Click "Remove." Again, restart Windows. Windows
should find the mouse and install software for it. Test.

5. With Windows 98, run the System File Checker. Go to Start/Run and
enter "sfc".

6. Rename the current Windows folder (directory). Then install
Win95/98 to a new, empty folder. Test. If problem does not occur, it
was caused by something in the old installation. I recommend that you
keep this new installation and reinstall your Windows applications.

When you reinstall applications, install Windows applications that
were written for Win95/98 or WinNT but do not install older
applications that were written for Windows 3.x. Install only one
application at a time and test the system thoroughly before installing
another application. Before you install and application, make a system
snapshot with a program such as ConfigSafe; this will allow you to
revert to the previous situation if (when) you install an application
that causes trouble. With Win98, it is also possible to run "ScanReg
/Backup" before you install an application, which allows you to
restore the Registry if (when) you install an application that causes
trouble. However, it is safer to make a complete system backup and
recovery with ConfigSafe or a similar product.

The following articles explain how to install into a new folder:

How to Reinstall Windows 95 to a New Folder [142096]
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/142/0/...

How to Install Windows 98 to a New Folder [193902]
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/193/9/...

Information about reinstalling is also on www.windowsreinstall.com.

Bill Starbuck (MVP)
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 10:45:02 AM

> "Andrewllan" <Andrewllan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> When I start windows 98SE I get to the logo screen but then it
>> keeps crashing and gives message to resart your pc press contrl alt
>> delete any one know what the probelm is please?

Perhaps you have other more serious problems but regarding ...

>> cannot restore from cd as MTMCDai.sys missing and havetried to
>> restore but pc will not allow

Do you have an Mitsumi CD-ROM Drive?

>> Have a boot up disc.

Ok, but if you can boot into 'Safe mode' instead (Press [F8] at boot).
Run the System Configuration Utility
(Start : Run... : msConfig [Enter])
Check out the following 3 files for entries similar to this:

Added to "Config.sys" under section "[COMMON]"
Device=C:\DOSApps\MTM\MTMCDAI.sys /D:MTMIDE01

Added to "AutoExec.bat"
C:\Windows\Command\msCDEx.exe /D:MTMIDE01 /M:10

Added to "System.ini" under section "[386Enh]"
Device=C:\DOSApps\MTM\MTMCDAI.386

Uncheck the checkbox infront of these, perhaps only the one in
Config.sys that is directly referencing the MTMCDai.sys you get a notice
about, click ok when done and rebbot when asked. See if you now can boot
into normal mode.

Search your HardDisk Drive for MTMCDai.sys, as you can see above they
are not necessarily in the C:\Windows\ directory. When did you install
these drivers before and do you still have the floppy or CD with the
drivers? If not and if you still need them (to access the CD in DOS
Mode?) try and find the drivers at Mitsumis web-site.
<http://www.mitsumi.co.jp/english/Support/index.html&gt;

--
Please followup in newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.