Another alien folder on C:

greetings,,

I use Mozilla as my browser and was at MSI's site last week looking at
some graphics cards. (trying to)
The sites jpg's etc wouldnt open so I decided to download the required
plugin as per the obvious recommendation while there.
This download was taking forever, even if I am on dial-up I know
the difference, so I stopped the download. (and thinking back, it was
probably
installing at the time too.)

Recently I noticed a few differences on computer.
1)I get a small pop-up sliding out of my screen telling me there are new
plugins available. (similar to the way an antiV tells of available
updates)
2)I have just noticed a new folder directly under my C:\drive called
"Config.Msi". Inside is a file named "7c312b.rbs".
3)there was something else but it alludes right now, but I know it related.

The contents of #2 are below, hope someone can tell me how much of these
bits and pieces are on my comp and is there any way of locating them for
deletion. There is nothing new under Add/Rem.
I have system mechanic, is there a tool there I can use Safely to remove
odds n' sods like this.

cheers

...Rex..

***
@IXOS @È @)Uí2 @ @ @ @ @ @
& {3248F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0150010}% J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0
Update 1 jre1.5.0_01-iftw.msi @ @ @ @ ? ?&
{3248F0A6-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0150010} @ @ @ @ %@J2SE
Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 1 ? Rollback Rolling back action: [1]
RollbackCleanup$ Finishing installation, please wait. File: [1]
ProcessComponents@Updating component registration&
{32150BCA-9A81-11D6-A785-00B0D079AF64}&
{3248F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0150010} @ &
{32150BCA-9A81-11D6-A785-00B0D079AF65}&
{3248F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0150010} @ &
{32150BCA-9A81-11D6-A785-00B0D079AF66}&
{3248F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0150010} @ &
{32150B32-1D6E-47D8-AF76-1104F4AC1C8B}&
{3248F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0150010} @ &
{32B9BBCA-9A81-11D6-A785-00B0D0150010}&
{3248F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0150010} @ &
{32150BCA-9A81-11D6-A785-00B0D0797777}&
{3248F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0150010} @
RemoveODBC@Removing ODBC components RemoveFiles@Removing files File:
[1], Directory: [9]" E:\Utilities\JavaPlug\ @
InstallFiles@Downloading files& File: [1], Directory: [9], Size: [6]C
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Update\Base Images\jre1.5.0.b64\ ?L
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Update\Base
Images\jre1.5.0.b64\core1.zip ?L C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Java\Update\Base Images\jre1.5.0.b64\core2.zip @ @
***

I suggest you go back to the MSI site and either contact their support, or complete
the installation that you interrupted.

Please provide a link to the "required plugin" you were trying to download. You
should *not* have to install any plugin to view .jpg images in your browser. What
makes you think the plugin was required for .jpg's?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> I suggest you go back to the MSI site and either contact their support, or
complete
> the installation that you interrupted.
>
> Please provide a link to the "required plugin" you were trying to
download. You
> should *not* have to install any plugin to view .jpg images in your
browser. What
> makes you think the plugin was required for .jpg's?
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+

Glee, I was trying to look for a word to describe the "pictures" you see
when
at a site. Whether they go by the name of "jpg, bmp, gif" & etc really isnt
the issue.
This problem doesnt occur at all sites but it does occur at quite a few.
As can be seen from my original post, my concern lies more with the files
and dregs that are left on my computer. At this stage there doesnt seem to
be anywhere I can aim for in order to do a clean-up.
Help appreciated.

cheers.

...Rex..

You still haven't posted the link to the "plugin" or whatever it is, that you tried
to install. I can't even begin to guess what might be involved without knowing what
you were installing.

Re: Config.msi and the .rbs files:
Office 2000 allows you to rollback an installation of Office if installation
unexpectedly quits before completion or you intentionally quit the installation
process. This means that your previous installation of Office is restored to its
original state even if you cancel Setup in the middle of overwriting your Office
files.

Where Are Rollback Files Stored?
"Rollback script files (.rbs and .rbf) are backups of existing files. Files with a
..rbs file extension are rollback script files and files with a .rbf file extension
are backups of existing files, both are stored in hidden folders called Config.msi.
The Config.msi folders are created when Msiexec.exe starts copying from the
installation point. The rollback script file (.rbs) is always stored in the
Config.msi folder on the disk where the operating system is installed. The .rbf
files are stored in the Config.msi folder located on the disk where the program that
is being backed up currently resides. This is done so there is no crossing of disks
when backing up the program files. All rollback files and the Config.msi folder are
deleted when the installation completes successfully."
--

> You still haven't posted the link to the "plugin" or whatever it is, that
you tried
> to install. I can't even begin to guess what might be involved without
knowing what
> you were installing.

Please excuse me glee, you are correct, I didnt supply the site.
Please find below the address.

http://www.msicomputer.com/index2.asp

cheers

...Rex..

OK, well I don't know what images you had the original trouble with, but since you
were using Firefox browser, you apparently were trying to install some plug-in or
extension to obtain the ability to view whatever it was. The pop-ups about plug-ins
that you are seeing may be related, but without seeing them I can't guess where they
are coming from. I suggest going back and installing whatever it is that you
canceled the first time around. Can you now view the images that you had trouble
with before you tried to download the plug-in or extension? Please give me a link
to where one of those images is *specifically* (URL and *what* image on it), so I
can try to determine what you might have tried to install.

I gave you the info re: config.msi....it is not related to the MSI site. The msi it
its case refers to Microsoft Installer. You should be able to safely delete that
folder.
--

> > You still haven't posted the link to the "plugin" or whatever it is, that
> you tried
> > to install. I can't even begin to guess what might be involved without
> knowing what
> > you were installing.
>
> Please excuse me glee, you are correct, I didnt supply the site.
> Please find below the address.
>
> http://www.msicomputer.com/index2.asp
>
> cheers
>
> ..Rex..

Thanks glee for keeping the thread alive.
It is still an issue and I would like closure.
At the moment obligations are keeping me very
busy but I wont let this go as I have noticed it is happening
on quite a few sites with the request for me to download 'plugins' as
per each. I am still getting a small pop-up telling me there are new
plugins to download and it doesnt tickle any fancy at this stage.
I have a feeling this is probably a mozilla issue, but I need to determine
that by eliminating 98 as a suspect.
I will post as soon as I have done some more searching.

cheers

...Rex..
> OK, well I don't know what images you had the original trouble with, but
since you
> were using Firefox browser, you apparently were trying to install some
plug-in or
> extension to obtain the ability to view whatever it was. The pop-ups
about plug-ins
> that you are seeing may be related, but without seeing them I can't guess
where they
> are coming from. I suggest going back and installing whatever it is that
you
> canceled the first time around. Can you now view the images that you had
trouble
> with before you tried to download the plug-in or extension? Please give
me a link
> to where one of those images is *specifically* (URL and *what* image on
it), so I
> can try to determine what you might have tried to install.
>
> I gave you the info re: config.msi....it is not related to the MSI site.
The msi it
> its case refers to Microsoft Installer. You should be able to safely
delete that
> folder.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> > > You still haven't posted the link to the "plugin" or whatever it is,
that
> > you tried
> > > to install. I can't even begin to guess what might be involved
without
> > knowing what
> > > you were installing.
> >
> > Please excuse me glee, you are correct, I didnt supply the site.
> > Please find below the address.
> >
> > http://www.msicomputer.com/index2.asp
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > ..Rex..

Almost certainly a Mozilla issue. I don't have Firefox loaded right now and am
about to leave for work, but look in its Options menus to turn off Notifying you
about updates for your plug-ins, or similar wording.