Can't install RealPlayer; don't have administr. acces to R..

Dear whoever,

Every time I've tried to install free RealOne player (and now RealPlayer
10), I get the following message

"Vous ne disposez pas de l'accès administrateur à la base de registres de
Windows.
Adressez-vous à votre administrateur système poue installer RealPlayer."

(which says I don't have administrator acces to the Windows registry, and
that I should speak to my system administrator to install RealPlayer)

I'm on my home PC, and don't have a system administrator, and think I may
soon go mad, as have been looking for answers for days on Microsoft site etc.

Thanks in advance!!!
5 answers Last reply
More about install realplayer administr acces

    Are you using Windows 98? (I know, this is a 98 group, but sometimes people post in
    the wrong group)

    Assuming that you are using Win98, when you start your computer, do you see a log-in
    screen for username and password?
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Orpheus" <Orpheus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Dear whoever,
    >
    > Every time I've tried to install free RealOne player (and now RealPlayer
    > 10), I get the following message
    >
    > "Vous ne disposez pas de l'accès administrateur à la base de registres de
    > Windows.
    > Adressez-vous à votre administrateur système poue installer RealPlayer."
    >
    > (which says I don't have administrator acces to the Windows registry, and
    > that I should speak to my system administrator to install RealPlayer)
    >
    > I'm on my home PC, and don't have a system administrator, and think I may
    > soon go mad, as have been looking for answers for days on Microsoft site etc.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!!!

    Thanks glee,

    yes, I'm using Windows 98 SE.

    (Sorry I've taken so long to reply to your helpful response!)

    Well, actually, yes, I do have a log-in screen when I start Windows, but
    I've only two accounts, one of which I set up for a friend about 2 years ago,
    and which has hardly ever been used. I always use the other one, and have
    installed plenty of programs using it, including big stuff such as Norton
    Internet Security, etc.

    I don't think I even remember his password in order to be able to try to log
    in under his name.

    Any ideas as to what the story might be...?

    Thanks so much, and in advance too,

    O.

    "glee" a écrit :

    > Are you using Windows 98? (I know, this is a 98 group, but sometimes people post in
    > the wrong group)
    >
    > Assuming that you are using Win98, when you start your computer, do you see a log-in
    > screen for username and password?
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Orpheus" <Orpheus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Dear whoever,
    > >
    > > Every time I've tried to install free RealOne player (and now RealPlayer
    > > 10), I get the following message
    > >
    > > "Vous ne disposez pas de l'accès administrateur à la base de registres de
    > > Windows.
    > > Adressez-vous à votre administrateur système poue installer RealPlayer."
    > >
    > > (which says I don't have administrator acces to the Windows registry, and
    > > that I should speak to my system administrator to install RealPlayer)
    > >
    > > I'm on my home PC, and don't have a system administrator, and think I may
    > > soon go mad, as have been looking for answers for days on Microsoft site etc.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance!!!

    OK, but the bottom line is that you *do* log in with a user name and either a
    password or a blank password, and click OK, NOT Cancel....correct? I am just trying
    to eliminate that as the possible cause.
    --

    > Thanks glee,
    >
    > yes, I'm using Windows 98 SE.
    >
    > (Sorry I've taken so long to reply to your helpful response!)
    >
    > Well, actually, yes, I do have a log-in screen when I start Windows, but
    > I've only two accounts, one of which I set up for a friend about 2 years ago,
    > and which has hardly ever been used. I always use the other one, and have
    > installed plenty of programs using it, including big stuff such as Norton
    > Internet Security, etc.
    >
    > I don't think I even remember his password in order to be able to try to log
    > in under his name.
    >
    > Any ideas as to what the story might be...?
    >
    > Thanks so much, and in advance too,
    >
    > O.
    >

    > "glee" a écrit :
    >
    > > Are you using Windows 98? (I know, this is a 98 group, but sometimes people post
    in
    > > the wrong group)
    > >
    > > Assuming that you are using Win98, when you start your computer, do you see a
    log-in
    > > screen for username and password?
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "Orpheus" <Orpheus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Dear whoever,
    > > >
    > > > Every time I've tried to install free RealOne player (and now RealPlayer
    > > > 10), I get the following message
    > > >
    > > > "Vous ne disposez pas de l'accès administrateur à la base de registres de
    > > > Windows.
    > > > Adressez-vous à votre administrateur système poue installer RealPlayer."
    > > >
    > > > (which says I don't have administrator acces to the Windows registry, and
    > > > that I should speak to my system administrator to install RealPlayer)
    > > >
    > > > I'm on my home PC, and don't have a system administrator, and think I may
    > > > soon go mad, as have been looking for answers for days on Microsoft site etc.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance!!!

    Wow, glee, thanks so much for that! As a result of your first answer, and
    just before receiving this one, I decided to try pressing Escape at the
    log-in prompt instead of using either log-in name (yes, in answer to your
    last question, I *do* log in with a user name and a password), and under
    these conditions, curiously, I was able to install RealPlayer. I would never
    have thought of trying this without your answer, as my only knowledge of that
    'post-Escape' log-in is that my Internet Connection passwords are never
    memorized under it, and thus I assumed that it's 'access level' was even
    lower than that of my principal username login. It looks like my assumption
    was wrong, and that the only way to get administrator access is to press
    Escape at login. I find this surprising, but am not complaining, since my
    hours of puzzling and searching have reached a welcome and triumphant end.
    Thanks so much, once again!

    You guys are so great to be there for others; it's quite warming for the
    soul, to say nothing of being fantastically helpful.

    Best wishes

    O. :)

    "glee" wrote:

    > OK, but the bottom line is that you *do* log in with a user name and either a
    > password or a blank password, and click OK, NOT Cancel....correct? I am just trying
    > to eliminate that as the possible cause.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Orpheus" <Orpheus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks glee,
    > >
    > > yes, I'm using Windows 98 SE.
    > >
    > > (Sorry I've taken so long to reply to your helpful response!)
    > >
    > > Well, actually, yes, I do have a log-in screen when I start Windows, but
    > > I've only two accounts, one of which I set up for a friend about 2 years ago,
    > > and which has hardly ever been used. I always use the other one, and have
    > > installed plenty of programs using it, including big stuff such as Norton
    > > Internet Security, etc.
    > >
    > > I don't think I even remember his password in order to be able to try to log
    > > in under his name.
    > >
    > > Any ideas as to what the story might be...?
    > >
    > > Thanks so much, and in advance too,
    > >
    > > O.
    > >

    > > "glee" a écrit :
    > >
    > > > Are you using Windows 98? (I know, this is a 98 group, but sometimes people post
    > in
    > > > the wrong group)
    > > >
    > > > Assuming that you are using Win98, when you start your computer, do you see a
    > log-in
    > > > screen for username and password?
    > > > --
    > > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > >

    > > > "Orpheus" <Orpheus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Very interesting.... in fact, that is the opposite of what I was expecting. Usually
    when there is an error installing such as you got, it is because the person has
    *not* logged in, but rather hit Cancel at the log-in, at least in Win9x.
    I will have to ask around about what might have caused this reverse behaviour on
    your system. I'm glad you got the program installed, though! :-)
    --

    > Wow, glee, thanks so much for that! As a result of your first answer, and
    > just before receiving this one, I decided to try pressing Escape at the
    > log-in prompt instead of using either log-in name (yes, in answer to your
    > last question, I *do* log in with a user name and a password), and under
    > these conditions, curiously, I was able to install RealPlayer. I would never
    > have thought of trying this without your answer, as my only knowledge of that
    > 'post-Escape' log-in is that my Internet Connection passwords are never
    > memorized under it, and thus I assumed that it's 'access level' was even
    > lower than that of my principal username login. It looks like my assumption
    > was wrong, and that the only way to get administrator access is to press
    > Escape at login. I find this surprising, but am not complaining, since my
    > hours of puzzling and searching have reached a welcome and triumphant end.
    > Thanks so much, once again!
    >
    > You guys are so great to be there for others; it's quite warming for the
    > soul, to say nothing of being fantastically helpful.
    >
    > Best wishes
    >
    > O. :)
    >
    > "glee" wrote:
    >
    > > OK, but the bottom line is that you *do* log in with a user name and either a
    > > password or a blank password, and click OK, NOT Cancel....correct? I am just
    trying
    > > to eliminate that as the possible cause.
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "Orpheus" <Orpheus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks glee,
    > > >
    > > > yes, I'm using Windows 98 SE.
    > > >
    > > > (Sorry I've taken so long to reply to your helpful response!)
    > > >
    > > > Well, actually, yes, I do have a log-in screen when I start Windows, but
    > > > I've only two accounts, one of which I set up for a friend about 2 years ago,
    > > > and which has hardly ever been used. I always use the other one, and have
    > > > installed plenty of programs using it, including big stuff such as Norton
    > > > Internet Security, etc.
    > > >
    > > > I don't think I even remember his password in order to be able to try to log
    > > > in under his name.
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas as to what the story might be...?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks so much, and in advance too,
    > > >
    > > > O.

    > > in

    > > log-in