Can't install RealPlayer; don't have administr. acces to R..

orpheus

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005

Dear whoever,

Every time I've tried to install free RealOne player (and now RealPlayer
10), I get the following message

"Vous ne disposez pas de l'accès administrateur à la base de registres de
Windows.
Adressez-vous à votre administrateur système poue installer RealPlayer."

(which says I don't have administrator acces to the Windows registry, and
that I should speak to my system administrator to install RealPlayer)

I'm on my home PC, and don't have a system administrator, and think I may
soon go mad, as have been looking for answers for days on Microsoft site etc.

Thanks in advance!!!

Are you using Windows 98? (I know, this is a 98 group, but sometimes people post in
the wrong group)

Assuming that you are using Win98, when you start your computer, do you see a log-in
screen for username and password?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Orpheus" <Orpheus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear whoever,
>
> Every time I've tried to install free RealOne player (and now RealPlayer
> 10), I get the following message
>
> "Vous ne disposez pas de l'accès administrateur à la base de registres de
> Windows.
> Adressez-vous à votre administrateur système poue installer RealPlayer."
>
> (which says I don't have administrator acces to the Windows registry, and
> that I should speak to my system administrator to install RealPlayer)
>
> I'm on my home PC, and don't have a system administrator, and think I may
> soon go mad, as have been looking for answers for days on Microsoft site etc.
>
> Thanks in advance!!!

orpheus

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005

Thanks glee,

yes, I'm using Windows 98 SE.

(Sorry I've taken so long to reply to your helpful response!)

Well, actually, yes, I do have a log-in screen when I start Windows, but
I've only two accounts, one of which I set up for a friend about 2 years ago,
and which has hardly ever been used. I always use the other one, and have
installed plenty of programs using it, including big stuff such as Norton
Internet Security, etc.

I don't think I even remember his password in order to be able to try to log
in under his name.

Any ideas as to what the story might be...?

Thanks so much, and in advance too,

O.

"glee" a écrit :

> Are you using Windows 98? (I know, this is a 98 group, but sometimes people post in
> the wrong group)
>
> Assuming that you are using Win98, when you start your computer, do you see a log-in
> screen for username and password?
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Orpheus" <Orpheus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dear whoever,
> >
> > Every time I've tried to install free RealOne player (and now RealPlayer
> > 10), I get the following message
> >
> > "Vous ne disposez pas de l'accès administrateur à la base de registres de
> > Windows.
> > Adressez-vous à votre administrateur système poue installer RealPlayer."
> >
> > (which says I don't have administrator acces to the Windows registry, and
> > that I should speak to my system administrator to install RealPlayer)
> >
> > I'm on my home PC, and don't have a system administrator, and think I may
> > soon go mad, as have been looking for answers for days on Microsoft site etc.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!!!

OK, but the bottom line is that you *do* log in with a user name and either a
password or a blank password, and click OK, NOT Cancel....correct? I am just trying
to eliminate that as the possible cause.
--

> Thanks glee,
>
> yes, I'm using Windows 98 SE.
>
> (Sorry I've taken so long to reply to your helpful response!)
>
> Well, actually, yes, I do have a log-in screen when I start Windows, but
> I've only two accounts, one of which I set up for a friend about 2 years ago,
> and which has hardly ever been used. I always use the other one, and have
> installed plenty of programs using it, including big stuff such as Norton
> Internet Security, etc.
>
> I don't think I even remember his password in order to be able to try to log
> in under his name.
>
> Any ideas as to what the story might be...?
>
> Thanks so much, and in advance too,
>
> O.
>

> "glee" a écrit :
>
> > Are you using Windows 98? (I know, this is a 98 group, but sometimes people post
in
> > the wrong group)
> >
> > Assuming that you are using Win98, when you start your computer, do you see a
log-in
> > screen for username and password?
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Orpheus" <Orpheus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Dear whoever,
> > >
> > > Every time I've tried to install free RealOne player (and now RealPlayer
> > > 10), I get the following message
> > >
> > > "Vous ne disposez pas de l'accès administrateur à la base de registres de
> > > Windows.
> > > Adressez-vous à votre administrateur système poue installer RealPlayer."
> > >
> > > (which says I don't have administrator acces to the Windows registry, and
> > > that I should speak to my system administrator to install RealPlayer)
> > >
> > > I'm on my home PC, and don't have a system administrator, and think I may
> > > soon go mad, as have been looking for answers for days on Microsoft site etc.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance!!!

orpheus

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005

Wow, glee, thanks so much for that! As a result of your first answer, and
just before receiving this one, I decided to try pressing Escape at the
log-in prompt instead of using either log-in name (yes, in answer to your
last question, I *do* log in with a user name and a password), and under
these conditions, curiously, I was able to install RealPlayer. I would never
have thought of trying this without your answer, as my only knowledge of that
'post-Escape' log-in is that my Internet Connection passwords are never
memorized under it, and thus I assumed that it's 'access level' was even
lower than that of my principal username login. It looks like my assumption
was wrong, and that the only way to get administrator access is to press
Escape at login. I find this surprising, but am not complaining, since my
hours of puzzling and searching have reached a welcome and triumphant end.
Thanks so much, once again!

You guys are so great to be there for others; it's quite warming for the
soul, to say nothing of being fantastically helpful.

Best wishes

O. :)

"glee" wrote:

> OK, but the bottom line is that you *do* log in with a user name and either a
> password or a blank password, and click OK, NOT Cancel....correct? I am just trying
> to eliminate that as the possible cause.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Orpheus" <Orpheus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks glee,
> >
> > yes, I'm using Windows 98 SE.
> >
> > (Sorry I've taken so long to reply to your helpful response!)
> >
> > Well, actually, yes, I do have a log-in screen when I start Windows, but
> > I've only two accounts, one of which I set up for a friend about 2 years ago,
> > and which has hardly ever been used. I always use the other one, and have
> > installed plenty of programs using it, including big stuff such as Norton
> > Internet Security, etc.
> >
> > I don't think I even remember his password in order to be able to try to log
> > in under his name.
> >
> > Any ideas as to what the story might be...?
> >
> > Thanks so much, and in advance too,
> >
> > O.
> >

> > "glee" a écrit :
> >
> > > Are you using Windows 98? (I know, this is a 98 group, but sometimes people post
> in
> > > the wrong group)
> > >
> > > Assuming that you are using Win98, when you start your computer, do you see a
> log-in
> > > screen for username and password?
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > >

> > > "Orpheus" <Orpheus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Very interesting.... in fact, that is the opposite of what I was expecting. Usually
when there is an error installing such as you got, it is because the person has
*not* logged in, but rather hit Cancel at the log-in, at least in Win9x.
I will have to ask around about what might have caused this reverse behaviour on
your system. I'm glad you got the program installed, though! :)