Sign in with
Your question

Am i good? Ninja

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
May 4, 2006 4:03:29 AM

Just installed the scythe ninja with a fan and AS5 on a brand new OEM Opty 165 at 1.36V. The ninja had indented, curvey lines that i could see and touch on the contact area, so i lapped it with 1500 grit paper until it was smooth to touch, then cleaned with water, and later with contact purifier (Artic cleaning #2)

While installing with recommened AS5 dose i lost contact to the CPU/heatsink surface so i looked, the circle of AS5 was not as big as it should have been so i added a tiny amount to the sides of the AS5, finished installation I booted up and am running at 2.2 Ghz with stats mentioned above.

Currently (AS5 not set yet) my temps are 48C dual P95 load with the fan at 1250rpms. The case cooling is very good (top half by cpu i have front intake by CD, cpu fan, side exhause blowing in, back exhaust, and PSU exhaust...all 120MM except side which is 80mm.

Are these the temps i should be expecting? Or should i remove the heatsink again, relap it and try another seating? (the first seating was very difficult and not my best...the ninja required a ton of work to get on)

More about : good ninja

May 4, 2006 8:44:02 PM

Ambient temps were 74F.
May 4, 2006 10:19:01 PM

I'd say you have it seated properly. 48C, running dual prime95 on both cores at the same time sounds right, from what I remember reading on what others said.

I'd be happy with that temp on a dual core. :D 
Related resources
May 4, 2006 11:05:21 PM

I have a 4400+ overclocked to 2.4ghz with the stock cooler and at full load im at 42c. With that heat sink I would think you would get better temps then that!
May 5, 2006 4:19:43 AM

Quote:
I have a 4400+ overclocked to 2.4ghz with the stock cooler and at full load im at 42c. With that heat sink I would think you would get better temps then that!

Yeah i saw that many people were getting 50C load with the same processer at 3.0GHz and higher Vcore!!!

I dont think i lapped it well enough...this weekend ill give it another go.
May 5, 2006 9:00:09 AM

Quote:

You guys using the same MB?

Not all MB use the same process to determine CPU temps.

And I have read at least one article that show Asus boards can show a temp reading 14C cooler then an Abit MB.

And besides that, his room temp would also effect cooling performance. Do you have the same room temp as his?
May 5, 2006 8:27:31 PM

Quote:
Just installed the scythe ninja with a fan and AS5 on a brand new OEM Opty 165 at 1.36V. The ninja had indented, curvey lines that i could see and touch on the contact area, so i lapped it with 1500 grit paper until it was smooth to touch, then cleaned with water, and later with contact purifier (Artic cleaning #2)

While installing with recommened AS5 dose i lost contact to the CPU/heatsink surface so i looked, the circle of AS5 was not as big as it should have been so i added a tiny amount to the sides of the AS5, finished installation I booted up and am running at 2.2 Ghz with stats mentioned above.

Currently (AS5 not set yet) my temps are 48C dual P95 load with the fan at 1250rpms. The case cooling is very good (top half by cpu i have front intake by CD, cpu fan, side exhause blowing in, back exhaust, and PSU exhaust...all 120MM except side which is 80mm.

Are these the temps i should be expecting? Or should i remove the heatsink again, relap it and try another seating? (the first seating was very difficult and not my best...the ninja required a ton of work to get on)

If you read he added more as5 to what he had on there, I may be a noobie but I know that if you take the heat sink off that you need to clean off you heat sink and chip and put on new paste. NOT ADD TO YOUR OLD PASTE! Try that and you will see you temps go down!
May 5, 2006 8:40:55 PM

Yeah...i wasnt sure if it mattered much because basically i added a little bit more when i let the HSF slip from the CPU (lost contact) and i noticed not enough looked like it was on there (dime compared to nickel/penny)

Response to wusy: I know its usually stupid to lap a new HSF, but mine had VISUAL and FEELABLE imperfections on the contact area.
May 5, 2006 8:51:43 PM

I never lapped a heat sink, so I dont know. Put a bb size dab of as5, " will be dime size" set the heat sink on rock it litely, and lock down. You will have a good seat.
May 5, 2006 9:08:17 PM

Quote:
In addition to the lapping guides you find on the internet, use a permanant marker to paint all over the HSF surface before lapping.
It'll help you determine if there's any uneven/concave surface. [/personal trick]

Yah, I've heard of the that one...............but you're supposed to use a red permanent marker! :lol: 

Seriously, nice tip, I'll remember that one.
May 6, 2006 3:28:39 AM

Quote:
I never lapped a heat sink, so I dont know. Put a bb size dab of as5, " will be dime size" set the heat sink on rock it litely, and lock down. You will have a good seat.

Yeah..when i first saw it i didnt think much...then i was think dual cores take up wider parts of the chip instead of just middle (not true...)

I like a nickel/penny size more than a dime size appllication...AS5 reccomends almost a Quarter!!

This particular heatsink however is insanely difficult to get on...when it is sitting ON the cpu, the locks to the mobo or whatever are like more than half an inch away from locking...and to get enough force to get ONE down (very very hard to get all at once or even two) it will prolly cause the seat to loose contact...

I will try on Wed. to lapp again and reseat.
May 6, 2006 10:14:22 AM

Quote:

You guys using the same MB?

Not all MB use the same process to determine CPU temps.

And I have read at least one article that show Asus boards can show a temp reading 14C cooler then an Abit MB.

And besides that, his room temp would also effect cooling performance. Do you have the same room temp as his?
Just your typical n00b reply whenever there's a thread about temperature.
Click on 'Ignore'. :wink:This coming from the person who told me my temps were all off by 6C on my Epox board? :p 
!