Reinstall Win98 OS-2?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 31, 2005 7:21:44 PM

What is the procedure for reinstalling Win98 OS-2 from DOS mode?

Can it be done without losing programs and data?

Thanks.

More about : reinstall win98

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 7:21:45 PM

If you install over the top of the existing system, you will retain
programs, data, etc; however, it is my experience that an over the top
install quite often does not fix the problem that led you to reinstall and
might even cause more problems considering the numerous patches to W98 and
IE. If you format the drive, everything on that partition is wiped out.

For information on installing W98, go to:
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"Roy Jose Lorr" <mosestorah@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> What is the procedure for reinstalling Win98 OS-2 from DOS mode?
>
> Can it be done without losing programs and data?
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 7:21:45 PM

"Roy Jose Lorr" <mosestorah@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> What is the procedure for reinstalling Win98 OS-2 from DOS mode?

Prepare beforehand by reading on web sites
http://aumha.org/win4/a/clean.htm
or http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html
You need to check some things beforehand
(e.g. DOS boot disk that enables the CD drive,
e.g. Product Key available iin writing.)

> Can it be done without losing programs and data?

1. Yes, reinstallation is supposed to detect any
previous Registry (of installed programs) and ask if you
wish to keep it.
2. Win98 mavens usually advise against this i.e. advise
reinstalling all applications from scratch (and therefore
updating or upgrading them as well.) This is because
most reinstallations are prompted by some error in
the Registry: if you keep the old Registry you may
keep the old error as well.
3. Either way, your data files are not altered by
reinstallation -- only the files customized for your
partiicular operating system and your particular hardware.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

1. There is no such thing as "Windows 98 OS-2". I assume you mean
Windows 98 Second Edition.

2. As Ron suggests, over-installing is not likely to be a satisfactory
solution. Almost never is. Back up your current data and reformat, then
reinstall fresh.

3. Most importantly before anything else--*WHY* do you think it's
necessary to reinstall Windows?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Roy Jose Lorr" <mosestorah@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> What is the procedure for reinstalling Win98 OS-2 from DOS mode?
>
> Can it be done without losing programs and data?
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 12:39:07 AM

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> 1. There is no such thing as "Windows 98 OS-2". I assume you mean
> Windows 98 Second Edition.
>
> 2. As Ron suggests, over-installing is not likely to be a satisfactory
> solution. Almost never is. Back up your current data and reformat, then
> reinstall fresh.
>
> 3. Most importantly before anything else--*WHY* do you think it's
> necessary to reinstall Windows?

Can't use my CD's. The system locks up when I do. I have to
power down then up to boot. A tech in a repair shop
suggested some of the OS may be corrupted.

> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Roy Jose Lorr" <mosestorah@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > What is the procedure for reinstalling Win98 OS-2 from DOS mode?
> >
> > Can it be done without losing programs and data?
> >
> > Thanks.

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 12:39:08 AM

Have you tried a different CD drive? Have you checked the wiring?

I'd also reinstall the IDE tree. What I usually do is restart in Safe
Mode, go into Device Manager, remove ALL drives, remove ALL controllers
(except FIFO's, which can't be removed in DM and usually don't need to
be) and the System device called PCI Bus. Then restart Windows and let
it reinstall the devices. Requires at least one reboot to finish the
installing.

Reinstalling Windows is way down the list of remedies for this
situation.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

>> 3. Most importantly before anything else--*WHY* do you think it's
>> necessary to reinstall Windows?
>
> Can't use my CD's. The system locks up when I do. I have to
> power down then up to boot. A tech in a repair shop
> suggested some of the OS may be corrupted.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 8:02:49 AM

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Have you tried a different CD drive?

Both CD drives behave the same way.

> Have you checked the wiring?

Are they wired together? I have the same problem with both.

> I'd also reinstall the IDE tree. What I usually do is restart in Safe
> Mode, go into Device Manager, remove ALL drives, remove ALL controllers
> (except FIFO's, which can't be removed in DM and usually don't need to
> be) and the System device called PCI Bus. Then restart Windows and let
> it reinstall the devices. Requires at least one reboot to finish the
> installing.

I'd be afraid of making an irreversible mistake.

> Reinstalling Windows is way down the list of remedies for this
> situation.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Roy Jose Lorr" <mosestorah@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>
> >> 3. Most importantly before anything else--*WHY* do you think it's
> >> necessary to reinstall Windows?
> >
> > Can't use my CD's. The system locks up when I do. I have to
> > power down then up to boot. A tech in a repair shop
> > suggested some of the OS may be corrupted.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 11:22:17 AM

That would not require a re-install from DOS mode. If you reinstall from
within Windows nothing in your settings or installed applications is likely
to change (but then very little within the operating system will change,
also) so it's a quick and dirty first try at a fix (just what the store tech
is likely to recommend).

When did the CD stop working? What else happened at that time that might be
related? Did anything else stop working around then? Is it a problem with
all CDs or just some? Have you checked the drive cables? Have you installed
the drive in another machine and did it work? have you tried a substitute
drive in your machine and did that work? Try uninstalling the device from
within Device Manager, and allow Windows to re-install it at next boot.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Roy Jose Lorr" <mosestorah@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
>> 1. There is no such thing as "Windows 98 OS-2". I assume you mean
>> Windows 98 Second Edition.
>>
>> 2. As Ron suggests, over-installing is not likely to be a satisfactory
>> solution. Almost never is. Back up your current data and reformat, then
>> reinstall fresh.
>>
>> 3. Most importantly before anything else--*WHY* do you think it's
>> necessary to reinstall Windows?
>
> Can't use my CD's. The system locks up when I do. I have to
> power down then up to boot. A tech in a repair shop
> suggested some of the OS may be corrupted.
>

>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>> "Roy Jose Lorr" <mosestorah@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> > What is the procedure for reinstalling Win98 OS-2 from DOS mode?
>> >
>> > Can it be done without losing programs and data?
>> >
>> > Thanks.

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 1:00:04 PM

>> Have you tried a different CD drive?
>
> Both CD drives behave the same way.
>
>> Have you checked the wiring?
>
> Are they wired together? I have the same problem with both.

Yes, they may very well be wired together, in a sense, if they are both
on the same IDE channel as Master/Slave (usually make the burner drive
the Master with the ROM drive as slave.) It could be the ribbon cable,
it could be the connector, it could be the IDE circuits, or it could be
BIOS settings. You want to check everything, starting with opening the
box and figuring out just what the connection scheme is, trying a
different IDE ribon cable, even changing the layout--say moving the
Secondary IDE Slave to the Primary channel, for instance. Also checking
BIOS to be sure it's detecting the drives properly (I always set IDE
detection to automatic--makes BIOS redetect at each startup. Takes a bit
longer but it also ensures that some corruption doesn't result in your
booting up with the wrong drive configuration. Particularly important on
HDDs. It's not *impossible*, though it is very unlikely, that the Power
Supply Unit (PWS) is bad.

>> I'd also reinstall the IDE tree. What I usually do is restart in Safe
>> Mode, go into Device Manager, remove ALL drives, remove ALL
>> controllers
>> (except FIFO's, which can't be removed in DM and usually don't need
>> be) and the System device called PCI Bus. Then restart Windows and
>> let
>> it reinstall the devices. Requires at least one reboot to finish the
>> installing.
>
> I'd be afraid of making an irreversible mistake.

This particular procedure is the device manager procedure I perform more
often than any other and it's quite safe and hassle-free. In any case,
what can it yurt to try it before reformatting the entire thing and
starting over from scratch? You're not just reinstalling drivers for teh
drives themselves, you're reinstalling the portion of teh IDE tree
(controllers, PCI Bus) that long experience has taught us can often
correct behaviors of this sort.

Reinstalling from scratch is a last resort procedure unless you've got
very good reasons for doing so. In your case, you have a guess, at best.
Proper trouble-shooting protocol is to determine, if possible, what the
problem is before going to such extremes. Even if it's successful, how
do you know you didn't just need to reinstall drivers?

One more test--can you boot to a Windows Startup disk, choose "...with
CDROM Suppport", and then read CDs on the drives?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> "Roy Jose Lorr" <mosestorah@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> >> Have you tried a different CD drive?
> >
> > Both CD drives behave the same way.
> >
> >> Have you checked the wiring?
> >
> > Are they wired together? I have the same problem with both.
>
> Yes, they may very well be wired together, in a sense, if they are both
> on the same IDE channel as Master/Slave (usually make the burner drive
> the Master with the ROM drive as slave.) It could be the ribbon cable,
> it could be the connector, it could be the IDE circuits, or it could be
> BIOS settings. You want to check everything, starting with opening the
> box and figuring out just what the connection scheme is, trying a
> different IDE ribon cable, even changing the layout--say moving the
> Secondary IDE Slave to the Primary channel, for instance. Also checking
> BIOS to be sure it's detecting the drives properly (I always set IDE
> detection to automatic--makes BIOS redetect at each startup. Takes a bit
> longer but it also ensures that some corruption doesn't result in your
> booting up with the wrong drive configuration. Particularly important on
> HDDs. It's not *impossible*, though it is very unlikely, that the Power
> Supply Unit (PWS) is bad.
>
> >> I'd also reinstall the IDE tree. What I usually do is restart in Safe
> >> Mode, go into Device Manager, remove ALL drives, remove ALL
> >> controllers
> >> (except FIFO's, which can't be removed in DM and usually don't need
> >> be) and the System device called PCI Bus. Then restart Windows and
> >> let
> >> it reinstall the devices. Requires at least one reboot to finish the
> >> installing.
> >
> > I'd be afraid of making an irreversible mistake.
>
> This particular procedure is the device manager procedure I perform more
> often than any other and it's quite safe and hassle-free. In any case,
> what can it yurt to try it before reformatting the entire thing and
> starting over from scratch? You're not just reinstalling drivers for teh
> drives themselves, you're reinstalling the portion of teh IDE tree
> (controllers, PCI Bus) that long experience has taught us can often
> correct behaviors of this sort.

There's a long list in device manager. Is everything there safe to remove?

> Reinstalling from scratch is a last resort procedure unless you've got
> very good reasons for doing so. In your case, you have a guess, at best.
> Proper trouble-shooting protocol is to determine, if possible, what the
> problem is before going to such extremes. Even if it's successful, how
> do you know you didn't just need to reinstall drivers?
>
> One more test--can you boot to a Windows Startup disk, choose "...with
> CDROM Suppport", and then read CDs on the drives?

I can read my CD's after a boot to DOS.

I tried the 'over the top' reinstallation procedure I got from a web site
(I believe it was yours... I could be mistaken) with no apparent change..
The reinstall didn't ask for a CD-key. I wonder if that's significant.

> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
August 2, 2005 1:10:44 AM

> There's a long list in device manager. Is everything there safe to
> remove?

A long list of what? Yes, there's a long list of devices in Device
Manager in several categories. In Safe Mode, you see a few others that
aren't seen in Normal Mode. But with few exceptions there usually aren't
any duplications. If you have, for instance, five hard drives listed in
Safe Mode Device Manager, when you know that there should only be one,
then you have "ghost" entries that need to be removed. Only you don't
know which entry is the current, properly configured entry, so you need
to remove them all and restart to have Windows reinstall.

The possibility of duplicate or "ghost" entries is one of the reasons I
gave you the instructions I did. Some kind of problem with drivers files
or configurations is the other. Removing the list I gave you causes that
particular part of the hardware tree to be rebuilt from the PCI Bus,
through the controllers, to the drives themselves.

> I can read my CD's after a boot to DOS.

Means that hardware is *probably* not the problem.

> I tried the 'over the top' reinstallation procedure I got from a web
> site
> (I believe it was yours... I could be mistaken) with no apparent
> change..
> The reinstall didn't ask for a CD-key. I wonder if that's significant.

What kind of machine do you have--Make/Model, etc. More to the point,
what kind of reinstallation procedures did you have to perform, using
what CDs labeled how? A reinstallation over the top is a last resort,
*temporary* solution, but not likely to result in long-term stability.
On the other hand, different major vendors have different "reinstall"
procedures. I'd like to know for sure what yours is.

Reinstalling over the top *usually* rebuilds the driver base properly,
but not always. A bunch of duplicates in your Safe Mode Device Manager
would indicate that the procedure had problems. To be honest, I would
find it strange that the problem survived intact through a true
reinstall, and if that proves to be the case after once again cleaning
up the DM, then we have to start looking in the UNusual places for the
answer.

So what, exactly, do you see in your Device Manager list in Safe Mode?
Just report duplicated items and how many of each.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> "Roy Jose Lorr" <mosestorah@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> >
> > There's a long list in device manager. Is everything there safe to
> > remove?
>
> A long list of what? Yes, there's a long list of devices in Device
> Manager in several categories. In Safe Mode, you see a few others that
> aren't seen in Normal Mode. But with few exceptions there usually aren't
> any duplications. If you have, for instance, five hard drives listed in
> Safe Mode Device Manager, when you know that there should only be one,
> then you have "ghost" entries that need to be removed. Only you don't
> know which entry is the current, properly configured entry, so you need
> to remove them all and restart to have Windows reinstall.

Do I remove duplicates only. For instance there is only one PCI Bus
listing. Do I remove it.

> The possibility of duplicate or "ghost" entries is one of the reasons I
> gave you the instructions I did. Some kind of problem with drivers files
> or configurations is the other. Removing the list I gave you causes that
> particular part of the hardware tree to be rebuilt from the PCI Bus,
> through the controllers, to the drives themselves.
>

> > I can read my CD's after a boot to DOS.
>
> Means that hardware is *probably* not the problem.
>
> > I tried the 'over the top' reinstallation procedure I got from a web
> > site
> > (I believe it was yours... I could be mistaken) with no apparent
> > change..
> > The reinstall didn't ask for a CD-key. I wonder if that's significant.
>
> What kind of machine do you have--Make/Model, etc. More to the point,
> what kind of reinstallation procedures did you have to perform, using
> what CDs labeled how? A reinstallation over the top is a last resort,
> *temporary* solution, but not likely to result in long-term stability.
> On the other hand, different major vendors have different "reinstall"
> procedures. I'd like to know for sure what yours is.

I used the OEM CD that came with the machine. During the reinstall I was
asked for a floppy that wasn't supplied with the machine but after several
clicks on the cancel button the reinstall proceeded. I was not asked for a
CD key. There was no need to change the Windows directory since the
option was already "Windows\".

I have a mom and pop to my specs.

Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
Upgrade using Full OEM CD /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=E:\WIN98 /IZ /IS /IQ
/IT /II /NR /II /C /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pentium III 2.4 MB
512MB RAM
GenuineIntel x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7
Asus P4PE Motherboard
Western Digital 80 Gig HD
3 1/2" Floppy Drive
Compaq DVD CD
Plextor 48/24/48A CDRW
Lucent WinModem
Windows-managed swap file on drive C (70429MB free)
Available space on drive C: 70429MB of 76297MB (FAT32)

> Reinstalling over the top *usually* rebuilds the driver base properly,
> but not always. A bunch of duplicates in your Safe Mode Device Manager
> would indicate that the procedure had problems. To be honest, I would
> find it strange that the problem survived intact through a true
> reinstall, and if that proves to be the case after once again cleaning
> up the DM, then we have to start looking in the UNusual places for the
> answer.
>
> So what, exactly, do you see in your Device Manager list in Safe Mode?
> Just report duplicated items and how many of each.

Duplicates:

System Devices:
8-- ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
3-- Motherboard resources

Universal Serial Bus Controllers:
3-- Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller
3-- USB Root Hub

I'm a certified computer ignoramus and I really appreciate your help.

> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
August 2, 2005 1:35:22 PM

> Do I remove duplicates only. For instance there is only one PCI Bus
> listing. Do I remove it.

Yes, you remove PCI Bus. Getting rid of duplicates isn't the *only*
reason for this procedure. The list I gave you to remove, including PCI
Bus, is removed in order to cause Windows to reinstall those particular
items, with the goal being that they be reinstalled in proper order and
that they get reconfigured properly. It's to *fix* problem drivers
installation and configuration. The Duplicates issue is a separate
issue.

> I used the OEM CD that came with the machine. During the reinstall I
> was
> asked for a floppy that wasn't supplied with the machine but after
> several
> clicks on the cancel button the reinstall proceeded. I was not asked
> for a
> CD key. There was no need to change the Windows directory since the
> option was already "Windows\".
>
> I have a mom and pop to my specs.
>
> Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
> Upgrade using Full OEM CD /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=E:\WIN98 /IZ /IS
> /IQ
> /IT /II /NR /II /C /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Pentium III 2.4 MB
> 512MB RAM
> GenuineIntel x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7
> Asus P4PE Motherboard
> Western Digital 80 Gig HD
> 3 1/2" Floppy Drive
> Compaq DVD CD
> Plextor 48/24/48A CDRW
> Lucent WinModem
> Windows-managed swap file on drive C (70429MB free)
> Available space on drive C: 70429MB of 76297MB (FAT32)

That still doesn't tell me what make/model the machine is. It *sounds*
like you have a Compaq. Is that true? Regardless, I'm still not clear
what kind of reinstall disk you have. You say "OEM", but that can mean a
few different things. It also mentions "upgrade", which makes me wonder
what kind of Upgrade disk it is. What does it say, exactly, on the CD
itself? What Make/Model machine?

>> So what, exactly, do you see in your Device Manager list in Safe
>> Mode?
>> Just report duplicated items and how many of each.
>
> Duplicates:
>
> System Devices:
> 8-- ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
> 3-- Motherboard resources
>
> Universal Serial Bus Controllers:
> 3-- Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller
> 3-- USB Root Hub
>
> I'm a certified computer ignoramus and I really appreciate your help.

OK, those are all items that we usually see duplicated. Only one that
seems a bit odd is the three "Motherboard Resources". Two is quite
common, but I've seldom seen three. Leave it alone for now, though. Just
remove the items I previously suggested--ALL drives, ALL controllers
(except FIFOs, which probably can't be removed) and the PCI Bus.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User