Sound problems

Hello,

I have had a secodnary computer with Windows 98SE without a soundcard
when innitially installed.

Now I have decided to put in a soundcard, because I need it to test
something. I put in an old Genius SoundMaker 3Dx2 allong with freshly
downloaded WDM drivers. Everything will install fine, except in Control
Panel > Multimedia, under tabs Audio and MIDI, everything is grayed out
(under the Devices tab, everything is present as it should be; DirectX
diagnostics reports no sound hardware; device manager says everything is
fine). Now since I can't select the soundcard, sound won't play either.

I have tried reinstalling the drivers in any way I thought was sensible,
installing additional Windows 98SE components and everything the Windows
Help Sound Troubleshooter had to say, but nothing seems to have worked.

Any ideas?

--
Model: INFJ
Primary function: Coprocessor