Closed

Starting Windows from a DOS Command Line

Hi:

1) I am having trouble booting Windows 98.
Is there a way for me to boot directly into a DOS Window ?
If so, what command do I needto give to start Windows 98
from the command line ?

2) Assume that I boot from a System Backup disk in floopy drive A:
Can I boot Windows frroma command prompy and if so,
what command do I need to give ?

Thank you
5 answers Last reply
More about starting windows command line

    "DaleB" <DaleB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > 1) I am having trouble booting Windows 98.
    > Is there a way for me to boot directly into a DOS Window ?
    > If so, what command do I needto give to start Windows 98
    > from the command line ?

    Prepare beforehand by reading on web sites
    http://aumha.org/win4/a/clean.htm
    or http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html
    You need to check some things beforehand
    (e.g. DOS boot disk that enables the CD drive,
    e.g. Product Key available iin writing.)

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    "DaleB" <DaleB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:978AC789-417D-4EFD-823E-66B5F12B6152@microsoft.com...
    > 1) I am having trouble booting Windows 98.
    > Is there a way for me to boot directly into a DOS Window ?
    > If so, what command do I needto give to start Windows 98
    > from the command line ?

    To start the computer in DOS, tap the F8 repeatedly during bootup
    and select "Command Prompt". Typing "win" normally starts Windows,
    but this is essentially what happens during a normal bootup.

    > 2) Assume that I boot from a System Backup disk in floopy drive A:
    > Can I boot Windows frroma command prompy and if so,
    > what command do I need to give ?

    Boot floppies are typically used for diagnosis and repair, not as
    an alternative method of starting Windows. I suggest you repost with
    more information, including the kind of problem you are having and
    any error messages you are receiving.

    Ben
  3. Please don't respond to eight-year-old archive threads.

DOS Command Boot Command Prompt Windows