Closed

Starting Windows from a DOS Command Line

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 1, 2005 8:34:07 AM

Hi:

1) I am having trouble booting Windows 98.
Is there a way for me to boot directly into a DOS Window ?
If so, what command do I needto give to start Windows 98
from the command line ?

2) Assume that I boot from a System Backup disk in floopy drive A:
Can I boot Windows frroma command prompy and if so,
what command do I need to give ?

Thank you
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 12:06:32 PM

"DaleB" <DaleB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> 1) I am having trouble booting Windows 98.
> Is there a way for me to boot directly into a DOS Window ?
> If so, what command do I needto give to start Windows 98
> from the command line ?

Prepare beforehand by reading on web sites
http://aumha.org/win4/a/clean.htm
or http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html
You need to check some things beforehand
(e.g. DOS boot disk that enables the CD drive,
e.g. Product Key available iin writing.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

"DaleB" <DaleB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:978AC789-417D-4EFD-823E-66B5F12B6152@microsoft.com...
> 1) I am having trouble booting Windows 98.
> Is there a way for me to boot directly into a DOS Window ?
> If so, what command do I needto give to start Windows 98
> from the command line ?

To start the computer in DOS, tap the F8 repeatedly during bootup
and select "Command Prompt". Typing "win" normally starts Windows,
but this is essentially what happens during a normal bootup.

> 2) Assume that I boot from a System Backup disk in floopy drive A:
> Can I boot Windows frroma command prompy and if so,
> what command do I need to give ?

Boot floppies are typically used for diagnosis and repair, not as
an alternative method of starting Windows. I suggest you repost with
more information, including the kind of problem you are having and
any error messages you are receiving.

Ben
January 5, 2014 3:28:30 PM

Please don't respond to eight-year-old archive threads.
!