Sign in with
Your question

Article - Greatest Gaming Ideas Of All Time

Last response: in Video Games
July 21, 2005 11:50:16 PM

Should you have called this article greatest PC Gaming Ideas of All Time? I agree with many ideas, but think it's too PC biased.

JMHO.

mumra
aka JCon

"Repetitive to the point of tedium"
July 25, 2005 2:19:13 PM

PC games came out first.. I don't think it's biased.. I think most games are better on the PC. They are. You have better control, better graphics, etc.

Good games came out on consoles.. but PC games are what revolutionized the gaming industry. These were all breakthrough games.. you didn't see breakthrough games on the console.

Or find me a breakthrough game on the console that beats anything that came out on the PC.. but it had to come out BEFORE it's type on the PC.

I remember playing Test Drive on my Amiga 500 when the original Nintendo came out. People were playing Mario and I was driving some italian cars around a mountain side.
July 26, 2005 3:22:08 PM

I'm forbidden from talking about the title... it wasn't my original choice TBH. It's more a collection of great ideas than a definitive list of them.

Aaron
Related resources
July 27, 2005 9:46:08 AM

The Amiga what a great computer. I have a Amiga 2000 that I upgraded to a 4000.

Eventhough I'm not much of a arcade type player, I loved playing "Godz".

It is sad the Amiga didnt last.

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad: 
July 27, 2005 3:50:53 PM

I was disappointed not to hear Starflight mentioned. Came out in 1983 and was the par for space adventure games and still is. Amazing story and good gameplay. It consumed 6 months of my life playing constantly, including 2 weeks of 24/7 playing. I still fire it up every now and then to relive the nostalgia.

-----BEGIN BOB CODE BLOCK-----
KEpk lw EO+! m6 CPEI B-18 Ow Lb Sc+ T-- A5 H6o b4 D+
------END BOB CODE BLOCK------
July 27, 2005 7:44:43 PM

Starflight is great. Their are alot of great games that dont get mentioned.

A couple that didnt sell well but were wonderfull are Sanitarium and System Shock I and II. Both games are so unique.

I still keep old computers around just to play some of those really old games. Graphics and etc are fine but I prefer a good story.

One game I wish I could find is Bad Mojo, where you turn into a cockroach and have to survive the enviroment around you.

Even though I'm sometimes against re-makes of movies/games etc, but some old games are worth re-making in terms of graphics/sound. They had great stories and gameplay.

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad: 
July 28, 2005 5:28:47 AM

I am sorry about this long post – it’s just something I have to do. Ever since I saw the reply to my original post, I knew I was going to write a painfully long reply. What can I say, I am an anal-ytical writer.

FACT
The article was entitled “Greatest Gaming Ideas of All Time”. I argued that the article might be slightly biased based on the fact that there were no other games besids PC titles in the writer’s feature.

Since then, the author posted saying the title wasn’t his original choice, and my assumption was debunked.

FACT
Riser, your reply to my post bases its logic on the following theme/argument:
“PC games are what revolutionized the gaming industry.”
“These were all breakthrough games.. you didn't see breakthrough games on the console.”
“find me a breakthrough game on the console that beats anything that came out on the PC.. but it had to come out BEFORE it's type on the PC.”

Today I will not be arguing that console games are better than PC games. That would be too juicy. Too sexy. Too much of what the people want to hear! Instead, I want to bore you to death. Today I will be arguing that you have a weak argument.

Riser:
“PC games came out first.. I don't think it's biased.. I think most games are better on the PC. They are. You have better control, better graphics, etc.”

First, you say that PC games came out first. Came out first, before what? Where? What scope are you setting for your argument? Since Jesus walked the earth? Before pinball? Only in the US?

Historically, do you know if console games or PC games came out first? (Hell, I don’t!) Even if you do, is that relevant? Is it relevant based on the game industry as we know it, as you defined in your argument, which is based off the author’s story, “Greatest Gaming Ideas of All Time”? (Note: not the greatest games since Jesus walked the earth – or since tadpoles became dinosaurs, whichever you prefer).

In other words, sure… bored office stiffs programmed unique games for themselves and their nerdy friends (early PC gaming sub-culture), helping get things started for the gaming industry. But that wasn’t really for any sort of relevant market or audience, as defined by games in this feature.
(Note: to be sure, it most definitely WAS relevant to gaming as a whole. I hope this makes sense).
(Note 2: my brother programmed games on our family PC, a 1981 IBM, but they sucked! Actually, I’m just jealous. I remember wishing I had created classics such as “Stick Man Runs and Jumps Off Cliff”).

Anyway, I’m not even sure you are arguing about the early self-created PC game movement, but you were awfully certain to mention….

“find me a breakthrough game on the console that beats anything that came out on the PC.. but it had to come out BEFORE it's type on the PC.”

I believe there is a fundamental flaw in this statement.

Why does each have to have a “type” that is in a competition here? PCs and consoles don’t have all the same games, nor do they have to be compared in such strict terms. Apples do not equal oranges. In other words, the unique differences of the PC and console should be celebrated. Many times they can not even be compared, let alone strictly compared. I hate to provide an Oprah moment, but love thy neighbor and celebrate diversity. Further, each of these cultures of gaming (“unique-beautiful-quirky” Japanese creativity and US “hacker-nerd-garage band” creativity) helped shape their specific gaming culture, as much as they were shaped by the culture they came from.

Then you said:
“I don’t think it’s biased, I think most games are better on the PC”

According to Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary (1998 Deluxe Edition, no less!), biased is defined as “A personal and sometimes unreasoned judgment….to give a settled and often prejudiced outlook to.”

For me, bias is caused by only looking at one side of an issue, the side you have a unique and personal stake in, or the perspective you can most can relate to or agree with. I will use biased in a sentence so that you can better understand the concept of my argument:
“I don’t think it’s biased, I think most games are better on the PC”

You then state:
“You have better control, better graphics, etc..”

It’s fine to believe that PC games are better. But it would be better to back this up with facts. If there are no facts, you are still free to state your opinion. However, by doing so you are presenting a very weak, unconstructive argument and opening yourself up to assholes like me.

To that point, another quote:
“I remember playing Test Drive on my Amiga 500 when the original Nintendo came out. People were playing Mario and I was driving some italian cars around a mountain side.”

Here you are alluding to the fact that driving Italian cars is better than playing Mario. In the real world, hell yeah; I’ll take a Ferrari every time. In gaming, that is a matter of opinion. That’s ok though. Because I am not arguing over superiority of console over PC, or vice versa. Honestly, I enjoy both. I just don’t like the bashing of console games, because I think they rock.

In conclusion, there’s nothing wrong with the article “Greatest Gaming Ideas of All Time”. I didn’t write this long, boring post to comment on the fact that the feature didn’t include console or arcade games. My only original comment was that the title should have included two more letters: give me a “P” and give me a “C”. I wrote this reply because I feel even though I have 500 things to do before Saturday, and I almost fell asleep at work yesterday during a meeting, for some reason I would rather [-peep-] out a 1,200 word reply to a post that probably took 30 seconds to write.

Speaking of falling asleep… Riser - I hope I bored you to death.

PS: I don’t mean to open another door, but what about Zork or Kings Quest? Those titles just completely opened up my imagination and showcased a huge strength of the PC as compared to consoles. (Notice, I said strength, not “Consoles ROCK, PC SUX”)

PSS: The first game I played on PC (IBM) in 1981 was either Frogger or Paratrooper? I think I first played either Pac-man or Space invaders on Intellivision. The first NES game I played was none other than Super Mario Brothers (which was followed by playing PONG – my friend had a table top version). Finally, my first arcade game? I think it was Kung Fu Master. Ahh, the memories. Seriously, each of these moments I can remember the feeling I had in my gut and my heart. It was that addiction and passion you feel for games.

thanks -
Jcon

July 28, 2005 9:40:40 AM

Yaknow, I’d say that the old consoles fuelled the launch of the gaming industry more than any other platform, but during the 90’s in particular it was the PC that lead the way, but certainly there was a lot of feedback between the platforms. My problem for this article was getting through a bunch of ideas with so little time and space, having to include old as well as new ideas. I feel I got in a good spread in the narrow genres I looked at. Never know, might not be the last gaming ideas feature done on THG by myself or other authors.

Aaron
July 28, 2005 10:15:08 AM

I was surprised that there was no mention of StarCraft or Diablo. StarCraft:BroodWar and Diablo II are (were) two of the most highly polished, finely tuned, and widely played PC games (in their day).

<font color=blue>Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.</font color=blue>
July 28, 2005 2:40:50 PM

Um yeah.. we're not into boring people to death in our threads.

And it was the articles intention to show that PC games brought the flexibility and adapability to modern gaming, not the console game which remained static until only recently with the release of the Xbox.
July 28, 2005 3:16:29 PM

So you aren’t into boring people with threads, but you’re into posting comments that are offensive to console gaming, by foregoing any well thought out explanation to your argument?

Ie) “PC games came out first.. I don't think it's biased.. I think most games are better on the PC. They are.”
That’s a great line of reasoning. Congratulations. Even your last post is lazy.

Your comments have been noted and I won’t argue over console vs. PC.

July 28, 2005 4:56:18 PM

You're worthless within this post. I can put my opinion on anything on I want. To me, PC games are far better. They're longer, you can update them, you have more control than that of a console game.

Console games are good and fun and all that. I much prefer a PC game over a console game.

Everyone knows Halo was fun on the console, but if you played it on the PC, it wasn't fun and was somewhat boring.

You must be a very boring person in your life to sit back and want to argue something like this and believe it's offensive. My post was stating that the article wasn't biased, but based on pure facts.

If you look at PC games, you see that console games developed off what PC games brought.. they didn't continue bringing traditional games of the late 80s. The games were more geared towards bringing the games of a PC to a cheaper console with the same quality of fun.

You really should read that article and pay attention to what is being pointed out as the breakthrough game and why, instead of thinking that the console should be in there as a revolutionizing factor in advancing games.

In my opinion, you're an idiot. I won't bother with you or this thread anymore since you can't understand an article written by a author on website based around computers and only recently diving into the console world.
July 28, 2005 5:54:44 PM

My original thought (that the article was biased) was a question, and it was proven wrong very early in this thread. The author’s response to the original title was "it wasn't my original choice".

Also, read my post again - I always said feel free to voice your opinion. The only thing I said about that was your writing style and facts lacked meaningful information. I love differing opinions. But I like to hear more than things like “this sux dude” or “consolz sux dudez.”

And maybe being offended wasn’t the right phrase. Disrespectful is more like it. You can shrug that off by saying I am a boring person if you’d like, but…

“The games were more geared towards bringing the games of a PC to a cheaper console with the same quality of fun.”
Did you even play console games in the 80’s? That’s my question. How man early console systems did you own and regularly play? Maybe Intellivision. Atari? How about all the rest? How about the arcade? Did you go there often? My guess (assumption) is you played your PC quite a bit, and your opinions were shaped from those experiences over time.

After reading your posts, it’s my opinion you are so biased you can’t even see straight. Your personal preference for PC gaming blinds you so much you have to use words like “idiot” instead of trying to explain yourself. You define “revolutionizing” in your own terms and blast off insults to those that might think there’s a SLIGHT chance that console and arcade games could have been revolutionary.

“you can't understand an article written by a author on website based around computers and only recently diving into the console world”
I understand the article. Read my post. I said I agreed with many ideas he stated. The only thing I questioned was in my reply to YOUR post to ME. Don’t make this about me vs. the author or misunderstanding the topic. My response was to your comments.

Listen, I’m slightly sarcastic sometimes so I am sorry if I offended you. I don’t think we are ever going to agree. But I’m pretty sure if we met in real life, we would get along on some level, so unless you want back in the fray, I say we call a truce. You can even call me an idiot one more time before the truce if you’d like.
______________. (put it here)

The coolest very boring person in my life,
Jcon

July 28, 2005 6:09:01 PM

Idiot! ;) 

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
July 28, 2005 10:04:49 PM

I am blessed. (But you didn't fill out the form.)

July 28, 2005 10:24:19 PM

That is because I didn't realize you are a certified idiot!

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
July 30, 2005 1:30:11 PM

"...and my daddy earns more than your daddy!"

I wonder what people did to replace the playground before the internet..?
July 31, 2005 7:47:07 PM

"...and my daddy earns more than your daddy!"
ROFL

Why all the fighting? I get riser, Consoles are closed systems so PC's have the advantage. However, what I like about consoles is no BSOD's. Can't you both be right or do your ego's not allow for that?

Compaq S5000nx
yes the one with an asus mobo and non exsistant apg slot. It was free so dont yell at me LOL.
July 31, 2005 8:22:23 PM

Really, my Daddy retired from The Souther Company, as a Senior Executive Engineer making 150k per year 10 years ago, now at retirement is making 75k every year, plus SS. And earns another 25k per year from my Engineering/Surveying company as a consultant.
Plus in the early 1950's got a $250k inheritance that he has never touched, just invested. But I know not what that is worth....

August 1, 2005 3:33:34 PM

I never get BSOD while gaming.. haha.

Yeah dealing with the computer might be a hassle.. but my ass was blowing into a PS2 last night trying to get a game to work. They say that went away.. my ass. I tried everything but when I blew into it, the game worked. haha.

I like my sega genesis... NHL 1996-2000.. but yeah, closed systems. I liked Fifa soccer on the PC..

You can become really skilled on a PC over a console game too. When you master a game, harder games come out.

Just thinking how many buttons I use in BF2 computer to a console where I get limited buttons and it takes longer.. you can get skilled at that.. but then a PC really brings out your skill and quick reactions and thinking.

But like I said, I'm done arguing with that guy. Very boring person.

and as far as playgrounds.. turning all colorful, plastic, and 'safe' for kids.. what the hell. I want that teeder-todder thingie back or however you spell it. Whatever happened to the big metal structure things we climbed on? Kids now a days get hurt and it's a big deal.. what's wrong with this?

And kids.. today.. riding bikes with helmets? We're raising pansies. Growing up I never knew anyone to get seriously hurt riding their bike without a helmet. We all fell, hit our heads or scraped a knee.

The only person I knew to get killed on their bike rode across a busy street and got nailed by a semi.

And playgrounds went to hell wit these child safe slides and crap.

I remember when they tore down my childhood playground to put one of these new crappy ones up. I was pissed off.

Monkey bars? you rarely see those anymore. You get slides and steps and stuff.. the cargo nets? Those were great..

now we raise pansies who don't get exercise.. fall on your head, run your ass the 3 miles home to tell your mom.. instead of falling down, hitting your plastic helmet and calling your mom on your cell phone at 8 years old.

brats.
August 2, 2005 7:49:29 PM

I've owned the original NES and I currently own a Gamecube and Gameboy Advance. I also happen to own a PC. I enjoy the games on my console. I also enjoy the games on my PC.

Which is 'better'?

Well now, that is difficult for me to say. The PC certainly offers more flexibility, better input options and higher quality graphics. That is <b>fact</b>. The console, while offering less flexibility and lower quality graphics, certainly isn't any less fun. It's all a matter of personal preference.

I will always prefer PC games over their console counterparts simply for the reasons I stated. Games just plain look better on the PC... unless you're talking about console to PC ports like GTA... then it's complete [-peep-] on either platform. However, there will always be unique games on the consoles... and if you wish to play those games, then you have to get your hands on the console. The biggest reason I bought a Gamecube was in anticipation of the next Zelda title... and I wasn't disappointed. But I still prefer to game on my PC over my GC.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
August 3, 2005 3:02:10 PM

But to point out a break through.. consoles have limited controls up until the last few years..

while a PC you have 100+ keys to work with, meaning you have more control. You can do more, which allows PC games to be a little more flexible in a way to make breakthroughs happen.

Even in some console games, you can't do what you can do in PC games.. like command & conquer for the console.. give me a break. It's a good game, but it's hard as hell to be good on a console.. thus the weaker AI in the game.

PCs offer a huge amount of control allowing more advancements in the game, while a console you're limited to your 20-30 buttons+combinations, etc.

Console games are fun, but the breakthroughs are coming through on the PC.. just my thoughts and you're lazy canadian ass makes sense. :) 
August 3, 2005 8:01:26 PM

>I wonder what people did to replace the playground before the internet..?

The only time I ever got into a real fight was in 6th grade (ok, so it wasn't a real fight, I guess). It was with a friend and originated from a heated match of 4 square. He must have hit me with a "chicken fingers" or something. Lamest 4 square rule ever.

It was a pretty even fight - not too many glancing blows were exchanged. I gave him a shiner, but overall I think he beat me up. We both went to the principal's office and got the "I hope you both learned your lesson" talk. Good times.

August 4, 2005 1:35:40 PM

Hm.. four square in the 6th grade? 2-4th grade we played soccer, 5th and 6th we played football.

Four square was what I played with the cute neighbor girl.. and the only thing I remember from that is the bloody river or something and spiking. haha.

I only got into 1 fight in 6th grade.. the stupid kid actually kneed me in my side when I was catching a pass because he couldn't catch it.

So I beat the hell out of him in the bathroom after recess, then I pushed him into those wall uninals.. the ones that go all the way down to the floor, not the ones you see mostly today. He had to smell like 6th grader pee all day.. at the end of the day the principal came to me while I was wrapping presents for 1st graders for some bazaar thing we were doing..

"I heard through the grapevine that.." and there was nothing to do.

A year later, at another school, in another fight, another principal came up to me and said "I saw another student.. and heard through the grapevine.. you know what that means?"

It's not my fault he bruised easily and it was on his cheek. He slapped me. He deserved getting punched.
August 4, 2005 6:48:24 PM

not to get off subject, but what about pong for the acade? as far as i know its still the only game you can play and drink beer at same time. so come on thats got to be the best game ever. just my 2 cents on the topic

-Bre

NANANA NANANA NANANA BREEMAN BREEMAN
August 4, 2005 6:53:26 PM

Pong was a great.. hardly a break through though.. granted it was the first game, more mathmatics than a game though.

I can play solitaire on the computer while drinking a beer too.

But you have a point with Pong.. Today's games are discriminating against the one armed people.

and arcade games discrimate against dwarves.
August 5, 2005 7:23:01 PM

true it may be more math then a game, but i dont think you could play solitaire on a computer back then... that and pongs multiplayer, so top that with your solitaire.

acrade games dont discimate agianst dwarfs, just get a stool. see that little box over in the corner, thats for you riser, so you can see over the controles.

-Bre

August 5, 2005 8:12:11 PM

Solitaire is meant to be played alone :) 

When I play games, I like to drink just to challenge myself. haha.

Ok, you got me on the stool, but what about the one armed peoples out there?
August 5, 2005 8:23:52 PM

"Pong was a great.. hardly a break through though.. granted it was the first game, more mathmatics than a game though."

sure Pong was a breakthrough game...Pong is like Yahweh..it is, because it is...or something like that...so it should be "testified" as a breakthrough game. can I get a "witness"? sorry, but it's friday damnit. I'm out.

August 5, 2005 8:25:28 PM

true drinking and playing solitare is more of a chalenge.

as for one armed ppl, raceing games with wheel and foot pedles, or how about RTS or some point and click RPG/hack'n slash?? i know there not arcade or console, but there still games, granted an FPS might be a little harder, unless they have a realy bad ass joy stick and mad skills.

-Bre

August 5, 2005 8:29:35 PM

alchohol goes best with multi-player games/LAN games...of course you have a much better chance to get in a fight with your friends...but I just can't dig single player game drinking...makes me sleepy.

but a good FPS or mario kart type of game - with those annoying cute characters...bring it on...that used to be a ritual..massive drinking, gaming, and then going out to the bars/clubs. good times.

August 5, 2005 8:38:19 PM

well here in the US its illegal to play mario kart and drink at the same time, or while intoxicated. as for game with friends while drinking... i wouldnt know about that... none of my friends drink... stuffy no good [-peep-] sons of [-peep-]. oops sorry did i type that out loud.

-Bre

!