Starting Windows 98 from commnad line

Hi:

My brother is having trouble starting Windows 98 when he
initially boots the computer. It starts to come up normally
and then freezes. He is getting some type of Error Msg
relative to the KeyBoard on startup.

For starters, I had him shutdown and restart in the Safe Mode,
then run ScanDisk and the Defragger. I suggested that he obtain
S.T.I.N.G.E.R or SpyBot S&D to check for viruses

Is there a way to boot the computer from say an Emergeny
Backup Disk (floppy disk in Drive A: or a CD in Drive D:)
and then run a command from DOS to start Windows ?
(Assume an Emergency BackUp System floppy in Drive A: for now).
If so, what is (are) the command(s) needed to do this ?

Any feedback would be appreciated...

Thank you

"DaleB" <DaleB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> My brother is having trouble starting Windows 98 when he
> initially boots the computer. It starts to come up normally
> and then freezes. He is getting some type of Error Msg
> relative to the KeyBoard on startup.
>
> For starters, I had him shutdown and restart in the Safe Mode,
> then run ScanDisk and the Defragger. I suggested that he obtain
> S.T.I.N.G.E.R or SpyBot S&D to check for viruses
>
> Is there a way to boot the computer from say an Emergeny
> Backup Disk (floppy disk in Drive A: or a CD in Drive D:)
> and then run a command from DOS to start Windows ?
> (Assume an Emergency BackUp System floppy in Drive A: for now).
> If so, what is (are) the command(s) needed to do this ?
>
> Any feedback would be appreciated...
>
> Thank you

First, have him copy down the exact error message he receives.
Second, have him try another keyboard or at least check to see if any keys are
stuck and to disconncect and reconnect the keyboard connector to ensure a good
connection.
Third, make sure the keyboard connector is in the right hole,(looks the same as
the mouse hole ie: connector)
Type win at the command prompt ( C:\ ) and press Enter.
By the way, does he eventually get it into Windows?
Read the links provided by Don Phillipson given to your last post, as they are
excellent.

Hi:

Your cooments (and those referencec in your reply) do not answer my
question(s).
People assume that I want to reinstall Windows: I don't.
I just want to know the following:
What command do I type on a DOS command line, to start Windows ?
(e.g., win.exe ?)
There should be a simple command to execute to start the WIndows OS.

Thanx
DaleB

> Hi:
>
> Your cooments (and those referencec in your reply) do not answer my
> question(s).
> People assume that I want to reinstall Windows: I don't.
> I just want to know the following:
> What command do I type on a DOS command line, to start Windows ?
> (e.g., win.exe ?)
> There should be a simple command to execute to start the WIndows OS.

You stated that the PC diagnostic refers to a Keyboard error.

How do you expect to be able to type a DOS command?

Buffalo's comments are spot on. You should listen.

You cannot start W98 from a floppy disk. From a C: prompt in DOS mode: win

Since the PC can start in safe mode but not normal mode, you need to
determine what is starting in normal mode that is causing the problem:

How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192926

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98